Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2012

"Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover"

Dear Viewer, I was introduced to Wonder through school. It was a required reading book and I thought it might be hard to get into, but I was wrong. Wonder by RJ Palacio was astonishing! I think the book was for grades fifth-eighth grade, and adults would like it. I think fifth and sixth graders would especially like it because it is about a boy named August, who has just started middle school and is facing many struggles. August has a “deformed” face, at least that’s how most people see it, but under that face is a very kind person. I think adults, 7th, and 8th grade will like it because it touches the heart. There are many parts where August has struggles and he barely makes it through them. I think it is too old for kids who are younger than fifth grade, and a high school or college student might have trouble getting into the book. Wonder was great writing. I liked how the author gave each character their own section. In the section they would give you their opinion and an inside look on the situation. I think it was nice that the book characters all evolved around August. August changed the way they saw and judged people throughout the book. This book can teach many different lessons. The one that stood out to me was not to judge by the way someone looked but by the inner character of that person. Like Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, “I hope that one day my four little children will be judged, not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character”. This book is a very detailed reminder of this statement.
Kid, 9 years old July 25, 2013

Beautiful Message

It's an emotional story sending a beautiful message that beauty runs skin deep. I'm in the middle of reading the book, but the emotions and the different perspectives are what makes this story such a masterpiece.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTotally500 November 1, 2012

Wonder it up!

very great movie well written and well acted
Kid, 10 years old August 11, 2013

Why this book is called "Wonder"

August has never been to school, because of surgeries to help him breathe, so when his mom sends him to Beecher prep, he panics. August’s face is deformed so he’s worried about seeing other kids . One, named Julian, is a bully. Another is Jack Will, who will be his best friend. August settles into school. Julian becomes a big bully. He puts notes in August’s locker, but August and Jack send the notes back to him. Then he starts this game called “The Plague.” It’s if you touch August you will get the plague. Julian asks if August likes Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars (whose face is injured). On Halloween, August decides to go as Bleeding Scream instead of Boba Fett. Then he hears Jack talking to Julian and Jack says that he's not really August's friend! August is feeling sick, so he goes home early. Meanwhile, Jack is so ashamed that he punches Julian and knocks out a baby tooth. He gets in huge trouble, but he and August make up. Summer is also August’s friend. She tells Jack why August hates him. August’s sister thinks mean thoughts about him but she’s just mad because her friends have changed. But then she meets a boy her age who likes August, and she becomes nice again. But then their old dog die. August goes on a camping trip and gets beaten up by another school. Then, some of his friends help him. When August gets home, there is a package, and inside it is a puppy! August considers himself a "scientific wonder." It matters because if you say his face is deformed it sounds really bad but if you say he's a scientific wonder it sounds amazing. The title of the book is "Wonder" because that's what everyone considers him by the end of the book.
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2013

Amazing, touching story

I loved Wonder. Once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. It is really an amazing story, and has a great message. A few times, it made me really mad and really sad. It's awful how badly Auggie was treated at times, and not only by kids! I recommend this story to anyone older than 10 years old, maybe younger. It's not a hard or very long book, but a great one!
Kid, 11 years old May 13, 2013

Amazingly inspirational Book

This book was amazing! I read it to the preschoolers that I tutor, hoping it would teach them a lesson, and it did! Although, I do wish I'd waited to read it to them because it is a very open minded book. Fifth graders say "crap" and "freaking" but nothing more than that. Also, some seventh grader start beating up fifth graders. August punches another boy in the face and he bleeds, but nothing graphic. Also, some 7th graders smoke.
Kid, 10 years old January 13, 2013

BEST. BOOK. EVER.

MY FAV BOOK OF THE YEAR!!!! BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cried, I laughed, I smiled. I would recommend this to anyone age 9 and up.
Kid, 10 years old June 18, 2013

if you do not like to read , read this book !!!

This book is amazing , touching , bright , all the good things you look forward into a book. This you really picture how a person like august feels . I always happen to be looking for a book but every time i start reading it i hate it !!! Thats why i hatED to read but now i LOVE TO READ thanks to R.J palacio !!! Now i realized there are some good books out there so every time i finish a book i come to common sense meadia and look for another one to buy .
Teen, 14 years old Written byawesome88 September 10, 2012

Wonder

The book "wonder" was written by R.J. Palacio. August was born with a deformed face. the doctors expected him not to survive. For five years, August has been home schooled. His parents know think he is ready to move on to private school. This is a huge change for August. He has wanted to be home schooled because of the way people would react and make fun of him cause of his face. On the first day of school, August got out of the car and startes walking to his homeroom class. he picks to sit in the very back of the class and hides his face. as kids start to pile in, no one choses to sit next to August except Jack Will. Next thing you know, the bell rang. the teacher is doing attendence. all of the sudden it's August's turn. that's when it all happens. I think that this book is terrific because, it seems to me that the author is trying to teach kids to stand up for themselves and it's okay to be embaressed. Just don't hide and face your fears. You only live so long so make it a great time.
Kid, 11 years old August 14, 2012

Touching Book

Overview: Wonder is a sweet book about a boy who has a facial deformity. Even though his first days at school don't go well, he fits in better as the story goes on. Notes: There are teens smoking late in the book. Some kids might not have been exposed to smoking, but by ten, you'll probably know most things about smoking. Good things: It has a good message plus good characters. Plus, it's pretty funny and really interesting. Bad things: Each part of the book has someone narrating it. Since the main character is August, he usually narrates it. But I wish some other characters could've been narrating it about as much as August. Conclusion: This is a really good book that can teach you not to judge a person by how they look. Almost nothing could make this book more perfect!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfuzzmee December 30, 2013

Amazing, inspiring, and beautiful. A must read.

This is a truly inspirational read! I found the plot to be so engaging I couldn't put it down! (I read the entire book in 8 hours.) This book has definetly inspired me to be kinder to others and it also gave me a confidence boost. And when a story can give you a whole new perspective on life, (such as Wonder gave me!), I would rate that book five stars in an instant. I know middle school can be tough, especially if you don't have the cutest clothes or makeup. But I realized how blessed I really am after reading it. This would be a great gift for someone who is going into middle school. Wonder also made me wonder what I would do if there was a... "different" kid at school. Overall, Wonder is amazing, and would reccomend this to any one from 8 years old to 108 years old. Wonder... proves that books can be great. All I have left to say is, you have to read it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhudson.14 March 10, 2013

WONDER

I have just finished reading this book. It's amazing. It teaches kids of all ages that they should always be kind to a new kid, especially if they don't look like everyone else. It comes from the point of view of a little kid with a face deformability. It really changes how a person thinks.
Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2012

Wonder

Anybody older than 8 years old would like this book. This audience is old enough to understand that you should be kind to everyone. I think they would like this book because it sends a good message. That message is to be kind to everyone. When August hears things about him going around the school he isn't happy. Some children can relate to the same situation. This book stands out from other books. This was a WONDERful book. I would definitely read this book again. I liked this book a lot. I loved that August stayed strong when Jack was talking behind his back on Halloween. August was a very strong and kind person.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysheiser September 30, 2013

Great Anti-Bullying Book

A heartwarming story! I loved it and it send positive messages!
Kid, 9 years old July 31, 2014

The Greatest Book in The Word

I LOVE this BOOK!!!!!!!!!! I thank my mother for actually buying it for me!!! It was wonderful and i had tears in my eyes when they got in that tangle in the woods. I just loved Auggie s spirit and i gove it hundred stars
Kid, 11 years old August 14, 2012

Wonder review

Wonder is a book that lots of people can relate to. It is a book reccomended for ages 11 and up.This a story where we can see what most of the characters are thinking about and doing.This book wants the audience to experience the stuff the main character August is feeling.They want the readers to be on august side.This book is about a deformed boy who wished his whole life to be"normal",but finds out it's okay to be himself.This book could be slow at times, but also at times turns into a suspenseful and intresting book.This was a good book and most readers would fine this intresting.
Kid, 10 years old March 6, 2014

Journey to Reality

Sometimes we forget how lucky we are. We need to once in a while get a refresher. This book really does that. Auggie or August, a disabled kid, is going to school for the first time! Join Auggie, his friends, and his sister on this epic journey. You'll be on the edge of your seats.
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2013

Absolutely brilliant!

I absolutely loved this book from the very beginning to the very end! I simply could not put it down - it was so eyeopening and I didn't ever get bored. The story is very moving - it tells the tale of Auggie, an ordinary boy with a deformed face. He's a great kid but is judged because of his appearance when he starts Middle School. At the end, people become more accepting of him... It's brilliant! Some of the issues, such as prejudice, make the book good for anyone around 10 and over. I'm a 12 year old girl and I simply loved this book - I would definitely recommend it!
Kid, 11 years old October 30, 2014

BEST BOOK EVERRRR

If you are in to unique books and different story lines, this is the book for you. If you are a fan of action and/or fantasy, forget this book. Is book touches you to the bottom of you heart. I do not like reading, but I couldn't stop reading Wonder. It also teaches great lessons.
Kid, 11 years old April 6, 2014

didn't like it much

Even though I thought it was extremely boring with no plot whatsoever, there were a few parts that got to me. This book touches heavily on bullying. I wouldn't have very young kids read it like 7 or under because they may not understand some of the touchy criteria.