Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Wringer

Mesmerizing and disturbing moral allegory.

Parent Written bypshriver November 12, 2010

An Okay Book

I really enjoyed this book and see a great deal of potential for teaching about character and animal cruelty. I think the young man in this book really took a stand to do right. It's a very inspirational book for any young person who is feeling pressured or bullied to "follow the crowd." Though the book is very sad because of it's message about humanity and what some people do to animals, it has a very positive message. Definitely not Spinelli's best.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byCaitygurl 08 January 27, 2009

Its Okay I kind of Got Bored

Wringer was ok i wouldnt recommend it
Adult Written byStevenWhite May 17, 2010
I am a Education Major and chose this book to do a unit plan on. I chose it because I read the author, Jerry Spinelli's book Maniac MaGee and loved it. This book is nothing like Maniac. While Maniac deals with issues it is light hearted and fun to read. Wringer deals with issues but is unenjoyable to read. I WILL NEVER use this book in my classroom. The book talks of the enjoyment of killing animals and despite the hero finally standing up for himself the book is overall to gruesome for school.

Adult Written bypink.dogs June 23, 2009

Wringer teaches young people how to stand up for animals!

The book discusses a real problem of pigeon shoots and how a boy struggles with his decision of whether or not to become part of the cruelty. This book can help many other young people learn how to stand up for what they know is right! Check out the great literature circle teaching unit available for free at www.humanesociety.org/youth, click "Resources".

Educational Value
Adult Written bylalah April 9, 2008
Adult Written byhorse_gerbil April 9, 2008

Slightly Upseting, but great story!

The book itself was great! I loved the story. But I could not help and feel a bit sick and hurt by the 'wringing'. It was horrid. I do express caution to parents of young readers, (especially animal lovers) for this book can be emotionally disturbing.
Adult Written byTinyToya May 13, 2011

An Okay Read

I read this book over the course of two days and I just felt like I walked away with nothing. I think there should've been at least ONE more chapter just to tie things up, or an epilouge. The descriptions in the book are exceptional though, but the subject matter gets a bit repetitive. Beans, Mutto, and Henry's behavior also becomes annoying and nearly improbable for nine/ten year olds. Overall, a decent read, I guess. I could've lived without it though.
Adult Written byjessicajlom1 December 14, 2015

Wringer

I think this book is the best out of all the books ive read. It includes a lot of feelings. Palmer is a really good kid who doesnt like to wring the pigeons neck. Wringing a pigeons neck is what they do in their town. Unfortunately every person has to do this at a certain age. Star rate is 5 because it was incredible reading this book. It leaves a really good message.

Adult Written byHodi Jo February 22, 2012

Wringer Hits the Mark!

This is a wonderful book for kids in that 'tween age. The theme of the book is to be who you are and don't let peer pressure make you someone you're not. Beautifully written, of course, it's by Jerry Spinelli!!!!!!!