Parent and Kid Reviews on

Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 6 kid reviews

Gritty, intense, romantic classic paints haunting characters in its narrative

Being extremely picky with books (even classic novels, which are the best), it is very difficult to find a true gem in the mountain of young adult literature that is out there once you have finished Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. This book is not only gripping and a suspenseful page-turner, but the characters are the true highlight of the book. Heathcliff is an enigmatic antihero and leaves the reader wondering whether he is truly the good guy or not. His lover, Catherine, continues this beautifully intense painting with the clash between her raw passion for Heathcliff or her sweet devotion toward Edgar. Ellen "Nelly" Dean is the perfect narrator for the story (if a little prudish and nosy), with her knack for remembering details and portraying just how dysfunctional the main family in the story was. And, these are just a handful of the many colorful characters in this non-syrupy, gritty romance that leaves even the most picky readers cheering for the sociopaths, pooh-pooing the mellow characters, and taking in every pen stroke of this unforgettably gripping classic. WARNING: do not read before bed; it is rather creepy at times and may cause nightmares.

2 people found this helpful.

Umm okay

I was told this was one of the best love stories of all time but I really don’t think it’s a romance at all. The main protagonist is basically insane, and all the characters are sheltered and spoilt, they then fall in love and have kids. Their kids are sheltered and spoilt, and then they fall in love. None of the characters are likeable and the romances aren’t particularly enjoyable to read about. In a strange way it was interesting and hooking simply because the reader is just left in a constant state of unease at the cruel nature of the characters yet still left feeling this backbreaking amount of pity for the characters. It’s hard to not get emotionally invested in them, despite how rude and questionable their morales are. But overall it was an excellent piece of literature, and Emily bronte does a brilliant job at creating such strangely human characters, exposing all their true natures and sides. I personally wouldn’t recommend this to any one below 12 simply because I know for a fact that no CHILD would want to read about the strange and depressing and tragic love life of some slightly insane ADULTS. But yes. Good

Good book

Fine book. Sort of a hate book. My daughter who is 12 wanted to read this book because she was reading other books that was mentioning this book. Making references like heathcliff and Catherine, etc etc. so I let her read the book. She liked it

A tragic love story mixed with some horror

I thought this was a great book, considering I love tragic love stories and thrillers. The characters are fun to read about, and the story itself is wonderful. There is some literal insanity, and there is support of the paranormal. Someone's love haunts him from the grave, causing to seemingly welcome death. I loved reading this book and would like to also recommend using it for school papers because it is full of great themes.

The best worst book you will ever read.

Let's make one thing clear here, Wuthering Heights is the most depressing book ever. I was told it was a love story, and it's really more of a hate story. Heathcliff and Cathy are basically insane. They throw babies off stairwells and everyone hates each other. I disliked every single character in this novel, but despite that, the writing was beautiful and there were many lessons learned from it. If you are looking for an uplifting read though, steer clear.