Parent reviews for Zeroes, Book 1

Clever but overlong tale of superpowered misfit teens.

Based on 1 review

Adult Written byrebma97 December 28, 2015

Overlong but entertaining

Zeroes has a pretty standard concept of a superhero story: a group of teenagers are gifted with abilities that they use for good. However, this story focuses more on the downside of superpowers, which was more unique. It was fast-paced, despite being very long (it dragged a lot in the middle), which made it more readable. The characters were unique enough, but there were so many of them and rapid POV changes that I never really connected to all of them. I also didn't like how they kept talking about what happened over the summer but never explained, though I suppose they may discuss that more in the sequel. Overall, this was a good read, but I would have chopped off a good 100-200 pages that were kind of filler.
Violence: Milder than most superhero stories. The kids have powers, but they never use it to physically hurt anyone. The main story does involve a bank robber who holds his victims at gunpoint at one point in the novel, and near the end three characters are nearly killed.
Sex: A mild romance, but nothing too intimate
Language: Lots of four-letter words. "S--t" is used several times, and "f--k" appears at least once. Other mild language is used.
Drinking/drugs: One of the main character's dad gets involved in selling drugs and uses it himself, with negative consequences