All parent member reviews for Battlefield 4

Parent Written byJohn Pitt July 31, 2014

Optional content.

There is a setting where the violence can be reduced by 60% and the blood and language can be completely shot off. I have my child turn this setting on.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byFrankAGuerrero December 17, 2013

Battlefield review. my opinion for parents

I have purchased this game for my son. Growing up lots of my family members were drafted into the military. I think it is good for my son to have some knowledge about wars, just incase anything were to happen. You can turn off any blood and swearing to ensure your child has the safest experience. If you are contemplating this game for your child, i would recommend it!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byBiker 123 November 5, 2013

Good for those who understand right and wrong

This is a good game, however I can see why it is an 18 because the main story line has quite a bit of gore in it. BUT the multiplayer is fine, but I would only recommend the game to teens who understand the dangers of guns as the game dose glorify guns a bit. Over all a good game
Parent of a 15 year old Written byJoanna1967 November 7, 2013

Violent, but there are many worse games around.

I have just bought this game for my son and he loves it! I have looked at it myself and read many reviews. I would not recommend this game to any young children. When my son plays "online" it doesn't seem as bad as when he plays what he likes to call the campaign. If your child is mature enough and isn't too young this game has some good morals and my son seems to have lots of fun with his friends!
Adult Written bySh0ck_13lade May 15, 2014

Not What Common Sense Media is Making Out Of

I may not have a child yet (I'm only 28), but I am a game designer at Naughty Dog Inc., the creators of the Last of Us and Uncharted. Let me tell you, CSM is completely incorrect in portraying the nature of the game. First of all, it's not really bloody or gory at all. There maybe a little mist of blood here and a small blood stain on the wall (just like in real life) there, and there is very little gore in the game as there is only scene in the single player where amputation is a must to free a fellow teammate. BF4 aims to be realistic. You wouldn't see very much gore in real life either. Second of all, if you don't like the swearing in this game, you could turn it off. It shouldn't be a problem either. Your child has most likely been familiar with cursing, particularly in school. Otherwise, in multi-player, your child doesn't have to listen to other players talk if they don't plug in headphones Third of all, the game has good messages and morals. Like the scene I had stated before (with the amputation), that may be violent and bloody but it comes to show the heroism of the troops in-game and in the army right now. When my nephew had played it, he had stated afterwards that "he would never take our soldiers and our freedom for granted again". In multi-player is a different story. It shows your child the importance of team work and planning ahead. They will work to solve problems and hopefully bring their team into victory. Failure means defeat, but this can be considered a good way to learn from their mistakes, not to mention there is a respawn and revive system to reinforce this. There is nothing to fear mothers and fathers. If your child knows the difference between right and wrong (which is most likely), it wouldn't be a problem at all. Remember, it's not the games and movies that makes a child violent, it's usually the way they are raised and taught. It also depends on there personality and the social environment around them.
Parent Written bybobthedude November 4, 2013

not much changed

campaign is a bit gritty but online is pretty much the same as bf3 except from: New graphics and maps with a lot more interactions
Parent Written byLogics March 18, 2014

Common sence

Look OK if you have a child 12 - 17 and don't want them to see torture then don't let them on the campaign as that has the swearing on it. On the multi-player its fine all it is is just like any other shooter your child may have for eg. Halo 4. When you kill a COMPUTER generated person all you see is a red splodge that dose not stain the ground so you only see it on impact. When I said computer generated I mean for you to teach your child that it is just a avatar representing a person you MUST tell them that. Make a contract with them and say if they swear of do bad things and become violent you have the right to take the game and/or the console. What I'm saying is that the multi-player is fine but if your child is under 18 don't let them on the campaign.
Educator and Parent Written byDaisy Mangdellin May 8, 2014

Should be monitored

As a parent and high school teacher, I have trouble letting my son play these games. He really wanted this game, he had watched other people play it on YouTube. He showed me the videos but I was very reluctant to let him play. The whole idea of shooting another person for fun boggles my mind but he is a strong, mature enough boy to know what is real and what isn't. I also think that he should not be playing that game ALL the time. Limited amounts of time playing violent games. It has worked so far. The campaign though is questionable. I only let him play the multiplayer. Hope this helps.
Parent Written byTheRealReviewNow December 22, 2013

The Real Review of Battlefield 4

Hello other families..Battlefield 4 is a game like Call of Duty...but the battlefield series has always had some hidden graphic features that can be turned off in the settings altho this game is rated M it should be appropriate for ages 10 and older.
Parent Written byThewiseman December 1, 2013

This game is perfect!

I think this game is great for kids. It shows teamwork value in the MP PORTION of this game, guns have reasonable recoil...............(not like in COD) the recoil actually drops the bullet.......bullet drop. It has big maps for great destruction of the environment. It has little dialogue in the MP(no bad words) and the violence is fine. There is always a frontline in BF4(MP)............so then there's no run-and-gun style like in COD. The single player campaign has profanity and violence. Overall just let the kids play the MP portion of this game.(I am playing this on BF4 PC) Get this game over COD............it has good values to it.
Parent Written byjohn marlow December 27, 2013

the truth about battlefield 4

Battlefield 4 is a classic example of a military shooter alongside its other first peron shooters this year if gives an option to turn off all language and blood. Once that is turned off it can not be turned back on
Parent Written byBobJones21 November 20, 2013

Truth

It is a lot of fun and not over the top. Just let them play multiplayer and you are fine. The language is only bad in the single player but your kid allready hears that at your school most likely. The violence is like Uncharted exept first person. Keep in mind that this game is rated mature because of the language which is only in the singe player . Just let them play multiplayer.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byJimmy Harden February 22, 2015

Parental Review of Battlefield 4

Battlefield is an extremely realistic FPS title. It has really fun multiplayer and a so-so story (better than Battlefield 3) all in 1 package. But some parents are asking that question "Is this game appropriate for my son/daughter?" Read this review and you will find out. The only factors in this game are Violence and Profanity. The violence is toned down from battlefield 3. While there is non-stop violence, the game gets decent low on maturity ratings for Battlefield 4. Hits from weapons will result in a small amount of blood which sometimes cannot be seen at all. The time I saw blood was when my son killed an enemy at close range. Most firefights will be at long range though. The only time when I saw the violence increase was when my son had to cut someone's leg off. There is a small, thin trail of blood, but nothing very graphic. Multiplayer has basically the same amount of blood as the single player. Except, most of the time you will fight enemies with vehicles or in vehicles. Almost no blood there either. No gore either, not even in explosions. But there is a factor that is very present, that is Profanity. You can here in Single and Multiplayer any bad word you can think of. In almost every sentence, someone says F--k or S--t. C--t was used once in the whole game. I counted at total of 78 uses of the word f--k and 91 uses of the word S--t. I could not believe how many times I cringed at this game cause of Language. But we come to the verdict, if your son/daughter is not influenced by those words, this game gets an age rating of 12 years old. If your child is influenced by those words, wait until they are not.
Parent Written byParentingisfun November 12, 2013

Battlefield 4

I think this is a good game with need for strategic thinking.
Adult Written byJoel Davenport February 10, 2014

Excellent Game - But Wait Until You're Older.

TLDR: Battlefield 4 is beautiful, but was not made for kids. There are lots of beautiful FPS (First Person Shooters) out there without the same level of violence, profanity, and uncanny realism. (I would recommend the latest iteration of Halo, which has traditionally favored a younger audience.) The battlefield franchise (particularly bf4) is popular because it represents the cutting edge in graphic realism. A fire burns like a fire, smoke rises like smoke, and when boxes explode, papers go flying. If you have a nice system, it's a very gratifying experience. The game-play is immersive because it never breaks character - it's not cute or quaint, it looks and feels real. (When you look down, you have legs. When you jump a barrier, hands reach down to lift you over. When you swim, you swim. When you shoot the terrain, it changes accordingly.) The game isn't deliberately gory - you won't find bits and pieces of people floating around. But the game doesn't sugarcoat things either. BF4 is intended for adults - so you'll see blood and not confetti when you shoot, knife, or shell an enemy. The cut scenes and scenarios in the campaign (single player mode) are particularly unsettling. (But more tasteful than the Gears of War or Deadspace series.) As for language, I felt like the campaign swore a lot more than your typical rated R film. (Again, the idea being that men at war would actually speak this way in an emergency.) If you would like your children to play online, be aware that the good majority of players your child will be interacting with are adults. I'm not of the camp that believes violent videogames will turn children into violent people. That said, BF4's commitment to realism means that the true-to-life video effects can be unsettling for younger participants. If you feel that your children are particularly impressionable (or would like to protect their eyes and ears from a game geared towards adults,) you'd be better off purchasing a different FPS (First Person Shooter.)
Parent Written byThe Real Review February 7, 2014

The Real Review of Battlefield 4

in battlefield 4 the graphics are Amazing but but its not for all...battlefield for is a game that has some iffy stuff including:Drugs,strong language,violence,gore,but you can turn that off in the settings do this before your child plays battlefield 4 it will turn off pretty much all the iffy stuff.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMac Attack September 1, 2015

Battlefield 4 - What To Know!

When reading this review be aware that I am a harsh critic. I have played this game for approximately one year now and it's fantastic. The style of Battlefield 4 is unique to many other franchises like Call of Duty. The graphics are outstanding, however this may concern parents because of the realism. I would say that the protagonists in this game are not role models although they do have a lot of respect for diversity and show great courage. Be mindful that they are soldiers. Throughout the campaign the main character is forced to undergo some hair-raising tasks and make serious decisions under pressure that determine lives of artificial intelligence in the game. In stages the campaign is gory and can unease the player. Despite this the campaign is very action-packed and enjoyable. Probably the best first person shooter campaign I have ever played. As regards to multiplayer in Battlefield 4 there are some elements in it that are quite inappropriate for a pre-teen audience. In the game there is an amount of blood and blood splatter (especially on walls and other objects) but no more than in games like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. The sound in this game is very different to those specific two games though; when a player is killed he will occasionally scream in pain as he falls. This is an issue for players twelve or younger as it could distress the player and make the game appear a bit too realistic for the user. This, combined with the phenomenal sound quality of whizzing bullets and excellent graphics can upset the player due to the realism of the situation. To avoid this, turn down volume or do not wear a headset because they will only increase the quality of sound thus increasing realism. This shouldn't be a deal breaker but should be borne in mind when considering buying this game for your child. If your child has any anger problems then this game could provoke them, possible time management on the game might be necessary. I recommend that a child thirteen or over could be able to play this game. At that stage in life the child will be adapting to mature situations and be taught in school about drugs, sex, alcohol etc. so a game like this would not be of such a shock to them compared to somebody younger. If your child is quite mature for their age and you think they could play the game then feel free but I do not think this game should be played by anyone who has not joined a secondary school yet, primary school children are too young to play this game. Remember this game is based around violence and the realism in it could traumatize a young user. Note that there are a majority of users that play this game and are under 18, including myself, and the age limit on this game may be a bit excessive. However, you will know your child best and therefore what their limits are on a game like this. If a player is playing the game, avoid letting a child under the age of twelve watch the game or be in the room. There are many parents who would tell there child that they are not having the game straight away although the game should be considered as it is not as bad as many many people make it out to be. Overall this is a brilliant game that I kept and still keep coming back to. The game play is smooth and the whole environment looks outstanding. The level design and world design in this game is breath-taking, the graphics are crisp and clean. The incorporation of a dynamic environment serves this game well and I highly recommend this game. Before buying this game know your child's age and maturity then combine them to make your own decision. Look out for more honest reviews from me on common sense media.
Adult Written byMYlifeISinHEAVAN June 30, 2015

Best Battlefield

I let my son play Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 3. I'v never had a problem with battlefield cause its not that violent. Let your child play this :)
Parent Written byKidGamer432 July 3, 2015

BF4 Review

I am a 10 year old with Bf4. I have played through the whole campaign & I gotta say there are a lot of bad words such as the F word or the S word. No Nudity or Bad Content in the game. I recommend if you know your child can take some bad words & other wise money well spent! It has violence but, not to worry because it is all just a little bad content! Have fun!
Adult Written byshane m. August 23, 2016

So true

It shows the truth of war. People die, people sacrifice themselves. I think it has good morals, as long as your child is mature, I think this would be a good educational experience. It's all about maturity. The strong language is the only part your child should know not to look up to, but people do cuss in war though.