Parent reviews for Bayonetta

Mature, graphic brawler about a witch fighting angels.

Adult Written byJOMAMA21 April 16, 2020

The original Bayonetta game

This is the original Bayonetta game that has lots of violence including blood and decapitation, lots of swearing, and their are also some suggestive taunts making this game playable buy those 18+

Adult Written bycanddigardrn October 21, 2018

14+

I think it should be for 14 and up, though if I knew my hypothetical child was mature and I trusted them, I would let them play if they were a couple years younger.
Parent of a 17-year-old Written bykayned1 May 15, 2018

A game mislead by SJWs

The game never promoted nor glorified sex. The protagonist is not objectified and is using her sexuality and beauty to overpower her foes. She is strong and doesn't need to be rescued and can defeat enemies on her own with no problem.
Adult Written byravvie January 27, 2013

A good game...for adults.

Let me be frank here: I love this game. It, quite simply, is amazing. The combat is graceful, the challenges frustrating but beatable, and the design fabulous. There are a couple tedious levels towards the end, and occasionally there's not much of a guide as to how certain attacks are performed (thankfully, there is a practice mode easily turned on while the game is loading). Story ain't exactly great, but that gets a pass because let's face it- you're not getting this game for the story telling. It also goes without saying that this game is VIOLENT. Yes, all caps, it's that important, and it's rated Mature, aka 17 and up for a reason- don't be letting little Timmy play it if he's just eleven or twelve. I know a lot of people have said this is a sexually themed game- I don't debate that, but at least to me, it doesn't matter as much if it were a game aimed at a younger age group. This is a game for adults and adults only.

Adult Written byBounceMaster June 8, 2012

a female version of dmc

not really a role model for anyone, but it is a strong female character, maybe a bit sexual. sexy poses, and focusing in on her butt most of the game is not enough to keep it from kids even though it shows a completely nude butt, it shows the same amount of skin as a bikini, so dont take your kids to the beach either. violence is not really gory, the f-word is dropped a few times but that happens in pg-13 films too, really just the language is the mature part to be worried about.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 14-year-old Written byGimmick March 7, 2011

Great game

This is a very enjoyable game, there are towering bosses and Thousands of angels to kill as well as unlockable combos, torture moves and weapons. The violence in this game is gory and bloody, but the camera Is far off and this makes the violence not that noticeable. The protagonist in this game is a witch fighting angels. She is often shown close up, with the camera focusing on her breasts. This isn't so bad as she is normally fully clothed, except for a large section of her back, which is visible. Sometimes her clothes sort of fly off her into a tornado-demon-thing. You don't see her naked, as the tornado-demon-thing covers it up.

Parent of a 14-year-old Written byCaleb_Mitchell October 9, 2010

Fun, but difficult; Mature teens and up

For all the people freaking out about killing heaven's angels in this game...you're not. Anyone who's actually played the game could tell you that. This game takes place in a fictional Europe where there are three dimensions of reality: Paradiso, Purgatorio, and Inferno. Paradiso is where the angels reside, watched over by the "creator" Jubileus...who is a goddess. So it's not heaven. There is no God. I'll admit, Bayonetta is a witch, and the game clearly states that to become a witch she had to sell her soul to the devil, so that's a little iffy, but it kind of contradicts this since she was born a witch, so I don't guess she really had a choice? Anyhow, this is a really goood game but it is extremely difficult. All about learning combos, dodging, and mastering moves, so don't expect to be able to just jump right in and start mashing buttons unless you play on Very Easy or Easy mode; this is not encouraged in the game, since you lose the ability to find additional weapons, health/magic power-ups, hidden levels, and other secrets as you play. The violence is pretty over the top, but it's not too extreme. You can summon torture devices such as a guillotine, a vice, an iron maiden and more to severely damage opponents. Gameplay is very over the top, you start out with four guns, two in each hand and two attached to your high heels, and can earn other weapons such as missle launchers, a whip made of a cobra (yes, really), and ice skates (again, really) among other things. Finishing moves consist of Bayonetta summoning various demons from Inferno that shape from her hair and kill enemies. These finishers are the most brutal attacks in the game and can range from a dragon eating an enemy in half to a giant crow ripping off a foe's head and swallowing it whole. This is one of the most sexual games I've ever played, despite there being no actual nudity. I read a review stating that Bayonetta's sexuality was highlighted at every turn, and this is very, very true. When you pull levers, she wraps her leg around the lever and leans back, pulling it with her. If she needs to turn a lever, she pole dances around it as you spin the analog stick. Bayonetta's suit is composed mostly of her hair, so when you summon demons her hair disappears, leaving very little to the imagination (but again, there's no nudity). In cut-scenes where she dodges enemy attacks, this is usually done in a very suggestive manner with the camera zooming in on her breasts or butt. In the opening sequence and end credits she pole dances. Bayonetta loves lolipops, and is usually seen sucking or licking them very suggestively. There are several sequences where she dances, and this is done quite suggestively, with the camera zooming in on jiggling parts, and lots of gyrating and making very dirty poses. In one scene where Bayonetta saves a man by grabbing him and jumping away, he grabs her butt as they fly through the air. Language in the game is quite strong, there are several F-bombs, and few uses of sh*t and a-hole. Overall, it's a very good game, but due to it's difficulty, violence, over the top sexuality, and language, this is definitely not something for the kidd-o's.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byFather and son February 6, 2010

Ok for 13, if they do not mimic game action in real life

Dad: Bayonetta is to me a typical Sega game, an highly stylized anime game, like combining Sonic Heroes and Kingdom Hearts in effects and music, full of supernatural action and typical anime objectification of women.

Son: True, but the combat’s great. Battle music is a bit too disco-ish.

Dad: Bayonetta’s hair forms her clothes. She uses it to form the underworld creatures that she uses to defeat the bosses. When it flies off her to form the creatures, she is partially naked, you can see her behind and lots of skin. She struts sometimes during battles, which I suppose could be sexual, but game villains, usual male, also strut. As nudity goes, it is not much more bare than heroines in any anime film, even Miyazaki.

Son: Her hair does other strong or torture attacks throughout the game, and her hair flies partially off her, leaving a Borat swim suit [1920’s style one-piece]. The gun shots are less violent than the sword attacks. The bullets explode but the swords do the dismembering.

Dad: And the gore is so unrealistic. Blood flies off in stylized globs, not like real blood spurting, and the foes disappear shortly after they are defeated, so there are not bloody bodies and hacked off limbs laying around

Son: The angels she fights don’t look like angels, they look like mutant raptor bird things on steroids. And even though she is harvesting angelic halos, they look like Sonic’s rings. Normal setting is moderately difficult as foes attack much more swiftly. It’s like Matrix mixed with Disney princess.

Dad: But the big angel bosses have human faces on the giant raptor-bird bodies. You collect the halos to buy special powers.

Son: You can buy weapons too, and they are infused with spirits or demons. Normal setting is harder than usual.

Dad: I don’t find the game interesting to enough to buy. Rent first or download free demo.

Son: I like the story, though it is slow developing, like Assassin’s Creed. Recommended.

Adult Written byKitsune87 January 9, 2010
An awesome Game. Definitely not for kids.