Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day

Get sharp with this fun, smart game for families.

Adult Written bycapstick April 9, 2008

Pros and Cons

I haven't read any of the other reviews yet, so I may end up repeating... Overall, the game is just so-so to me. Worth the $20 I suppose but I did expect more. Pros: Ability to save up to four personal data files so the whole family can track their progress. It also remembers things like birthdays and responds to things such as time of day or time of year ("Good morning, the days sure are getting hotter aren't they?"). The challenges themselves are fairly entertaining. And while occasionally it won't recognize things I write, 99% of the time it does. When it doesn't, it is because I was rushing or being sloppy. Cons: Not enough to do! New activities are "unlocked" very infrequently, and from what I can tell, there aren't that many to unlock anyway. So you are basically stuck with the same 5 or so activities every day. And it will only actually record your results for each activity once per day. You can practice as many times as you want, but it doesn't count for anything except practice. Also, my 8 year old daughter has a somewhat hard time with some of the math and other challenges. Another con is that the tips and tricks and other phrases that are shown to you are repeated very often. I wish there were more variety all around.
Parent of a 7, 9, 11, and 12 year old Written bytweedledee621 October 10, 2009

Educational Value
Adult Written byscreen April 9, 2008

Read the book carefully.

Machine needs work on voice recongition. It has trouble with the workd " BLUE ".
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byjaxmom1998 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Brain tests are educational and fun

Sexual Content (Not an Issue): None. Violence (Not an Issue): None. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): Professor Kawashima keeps giving encouragement, even if your scores aren't that great. Commercialism (Not an Issue): None. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): None. Educational Value (On): The game is all about keeping your brain young and healthy.
Adult Written byUsrthea September 25, 2018

Good if you like brain games.

Ease of Play