All parent member reviews for Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Parent Written byAki-Matti January 20, 2014

Join the brothers on a worthy cause

This seems like a game that encompasses much of what childhood adventures outside with friends are about. Exhilaration, excitement and friendship. The two brothers in this game offer great role models in how they support each other through many exciting scenarios that don't really involve violence but overcoming obstacles in the environment. Also, this game handles feelings very well. Even in the beginning when it is shown why the little brother is afraid of water it creates a strong connection with the characters and their behavior. All along the way, you will feel emotions of support, sorrow and excitement just to name a few as you walk this adventure with the brothers. A word of warning, though. You should play this with your child instead of letting him play it by himself, otherwise he/she might not be able to handle all the situations and feelings the game will raise. There is especially a scene where a lot of blood and bodies can be seen and while the game was otherwise alright to play while my kids (7 and 5 years old) were watching, this was a scene I didn't let them watch from the side.
Parent Written bystefanlindskog September 29, 2013

Uniquely compelling

Not many games manage to tell a story as convincing as Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. The main characters set out on a fantastic journey to save their father, who has fallen ill. During the short three to four hours it takes to play through the player bonds with the brothers and their dire situation, while experiencing breathtaking vistas, heartwarming scenes, and some really dark material at points. I played through the game myself before deciding to sit through it while my seven year old son did. I helped him undertand the dark parts and was pleased to see that he understood and accepted - and even appreciated the deeper meaning of the game. He went through feelings like pride, joy, sadness, wonder and quite some thrill. At the end he cried because of the dark beauty of the ending - and we talked in length about why not all stories can end as well as we would have liked. It's been two days now since he played it, and he says it's his all time favorite game. To me that's worth gold. Brothers contain almost no violence and absolutely no glorification of violence. The brothers go through their ordeal by solving puzzles and move over, through or around obstacles in ther way. There are some horrific scenes that will put many parents off involving a man trying to hang himself because he's lost his family in a fire, and later a field of dead giants bleeding up a river. But in my opinion it's justified by the way it's presented. It's honest and without pretention. It's like old fairytales. It has its obligatory darkness, making the story more involving. I'll gladly accept that I might be in the wrong for letting my son play it at his age. My justification is that the beauty of the overall story, and the way that the story is told as a non-violent videogame, makes it acceptable. If your child is emotionally mature, and you're willing to take the journey with him/her - do it. If your child is twelve or older - let them experience the game on their own. The end is so strong and emotionally engaging that they'll try to tell you about it for hours, while feeling the value of family ties for much much longer.
Parent Written byla1037 January 24, 2016

The Younger Brother Dies!

This was very disturbing for my 13yr old son. The younger bother in the game looks just like our youngest child. It has bothered him for over a week and he hated this game. Common Sense Media failed me on this game. As a parent I should have been told this by CSM. It's the whole point of taking the time to read reviews - to protect our kids from content they are not ready to consume. Very disappointed in the game and CSM.
Adult Written bystankuboi June 29, 2015

A Beautiful Experience

An emotional story, strong film inspiration, and a unique setting make this short downloadable title a must-play experience. I love how the control scheme mirrors the relationship between the two brothers.