All parent member reviews for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Adult Written bynnick December 31, 2010
first off, if your kid plays halo and stuff, you should let your kid play this. blood only stains on headshots which almost never happen, launguage isn't bad at all. the ESRB made this game sound over the top but it was only because it was call of duty's first M game. really if you ask me (and many others) halo in parts are worse than this. if you are not letting your child get this game because of the ratings, watch the game please and base your decesion off that. by the way there is no limb loss, decapition and no gore, gore is in halo 3, with the dead soilders in the second mission. blood is on them. but let your kid get this game. i can't believe it got rated M. probably because of the more realistic graphics make it seem more life like. and the better graphics in war games make the rating go up. thanks for reading this. :)
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bythunder1 June 4, 2009

Ok for 11 and up.

This is no worse than normal tv shoes families whatch like csi. There really is no "gore" just little puffs of blood. The "torture" is more just someone looks like there gonna die and you dont see anything. Not really the worse m game. I'd rate it in the lover kid age of mature. Parents should know the don't use to much language other than the d*** h*** and crap. This is good though for kids 11 and up. Parents dont worry.
Adult Written byseen-all-movies January 1, 2011

Turn of blood, and its good entertainment if mature and past age 12

I've played COD 4 for quite a while, and even now, whit the release of Black ops, it's still entertaining and a good way to keep the younger kids satisfied. this game is less violent and realistic than Modern warfare 2 and black ops, and is therefor a good game for people not quit old enough to play the newest games in the COD franchises. Sure this game contains violence, but PEGI rated it 16, witch is a little different from the commonsense media rating. i believe that mature kids can already at the age of 11 to 13 start to play and enjoy this game, some might argue about this due to the content of in game blood, but in the options menu, you can both in single player and multiplayer turn of the blood effect, witch pretty much removes all reasons for age limit, if blood is turned of the game gets a very different feel to it, and is unlikely to frighten kids if they are mature and past age 11, if blood is on I suggest age limit 13 to 14 depending on maturity. this game is certainly no worse than the average action thriller like James Bond, so why give it any higher age limit?
Parent of a 12 year old Written bybla30 October 23, 2009
it's fine for tweens and up. there's no graphic violence and no f-bombs
Adult Written bygamezrul3 February 23, 2009

Definatly not as bad as everyone says it is

Ok i am a mom with two kids. One is 12 and the other is 4. I would not recomend this game for anyone under 11 but any 11+ kid would know that NONE of the game is real. The game is based in the Future not in the current time period. The game only shows close to modern day soilders in a made up place (have to admit does resemble the middle east) As i said and 11+ kid would know. About the language, there is a little bit of profanity but nothing major. Its not like something they dont hear their dads walking around mumbling. Anyways if your kids know not to say the curses then what have you got to worry about? Anyways you can choose the curses that the characters are aloud to say. There is a little bit of blood but only the small red cloud thay goes away in five seconds that you see in almost all video games and movies nowadays. Of course there is violence , its a war game but definatly not all everyone says it is.
Adult Written byKennyg1211 November 11, 2008

No.....just no.....

If you take the time to play it there are terrorists that you kill and everyone online knows that it's way better to play as the British or Americans. And on top of that no one can really get there hads on these guns so it's just a fun game to play with friends.
Adult Written bycompguy765 April 9, 2008

Violence in this game is not as bad!

I played this game with my 12 year old son, and had few objections. There are a couple of cut scenes where it shows your fellow soldiers dying, but it was not too graphical. The online multiplayer is fun, and the campaign is short but fun. The only objections I see are some of the cutscenes. I have my son skip the cutscenes, and have him turn off extreme content in the options. Then, it is not so bad.
Adult Written byKT427 April 10, 2009

Best in series.

Finally. Out of WWII and into the present. With awesome weapons and gadgets, warfare will never be the same. This T-rated series steps up to M-rated, and more blood can be seen (especially if you stand by a wall and get shot. you'll see what I mean), some strong warfare language, and standard violence. GET THIS GAME. NOW.
Adult Written byManic Bulldog February 15, 2009

In war... the first victim is innocence!

This is an AWSOME first person shooter. A MUST HAVE for ANY GAMER! This game is war based, obviously, and is steeped in violance... but nothing extreme... the worst is blood splatter left on the walls and a mans arm being removed by your mile long, 50 Cal. shot.... And the multiplayer is amazing. I would recommend this game for any gamer interested in combat games.
Parent of a 9, 12, and 15 year old Written byBobby Price March 5, 2015

Parental Reveiw of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Call of Duty is a really cool game with over the top violence as my oldest daughter calls it. But what about my 12 year old or my 9 year old? Surely they cannot play it, right? That question will be answered in this review. Violence is the only major factor in this game. The game will feature constant violence because this is a first person shooter, but it is not as bad as Fallout 3 or Bioshock. No, the game is way toned down from those titles. Hits will show little to no blood and one of the only times I saw more blood than usual was when an enemy was hit in the head. However, in multiplayer, the blood from headshots is toned down and will show the same amount of blood as bodyshots would. There is also no gore of any kind, even in explosions. Yet, there is one part in the story mode that will show gore. When an earthquake happens, the main bad guy gets his arm blown off by your bullet after a failed attempt on trying to kill him. There is a decent amount of blood, but this only lasts a split second. It is not bad. The rest of the campaign is done shooting other enemies whose bodies and blood will disappear after a short time. There is some cursing, but not much. It is not often that you will hear a minor curse word. F--k is used a total of 4 times through out 10 hours of the campaign. There is also no cursing of any kind in multiplayer. Not much cursing at all if you ask me. Due to the constant violence and one graphic scene that any kid could handle, I gave this game a recommended age of 13 years old. When my 12 year old daughter turns 13, she gets my permission to play. Until then, she is not allowed to play. I disagree with the parents who give this game to their 10 year old kids. But, this is your decision. I highly recommend that you give your 13 year old child a go on this game. It is fun for them and their friends.
Parent of a 6 and 12 year old Written byback2schoolboo April 9, 2008

Good for the High-Schooler

+Great Gunplay +Fun to play online -Mother's nightmare -Incidents do get shot
Parent Written byCod_GOD22 January 27, 2012

BEST IN SERIES!!!!

This was a very good Call of Duty game and is still an up-to-date fps shooter.Most appropriate out of the Modern Warfare Series!
Adult Written byqwerty123 February 15, 2009

Commonsense overplays the blood and gore

In my opinion CoD4 is the best of the series. Yes, there is blood on a minor scale (when you shoot someone you might be able to see a small amount of blood) but nothing anyone 13+ couldn't handle. There is an execution scene that is made a big deal of on commonsense, first off its in 1st person so you don't actually see the execution, there's no blood just 'your' eyes close and the cut scene ends. I agree that it's meant to play more on your emotions, however if you or your child is sensitive then simply leave the room or look the other direction during the cutscenes. Besides that BRILLIANT GAME! must have for
Parent Written byLisa B. August 4, 2016

Why the rush?

Why are parents in such a hurry to push their kids along in growing up? If we as parents just all go by the ratings set there wouldn't be an issue. No your not 13 so therefore you can not play T games, no you're not an adult so I can't allow you to play M games. There are PLENTY of games they CAN play. This is our job as parents. I know I am the minority:( it's a struggle as my kids then feel like babies or they are missing out on something BUT as the parent I say no. To read these reviews it's like parents are justifying it... Well it's not VERY Violent... Not TOO much blood... Only saying damn, shit, hell... Wow really?? Can't it wait? It will for my kids... At least in my home :/
Adult Written bydanielallen101 August 1, 2016

Call of Duty Modern Warfare

Violence: ••••• (5/5)..., (Campaign) Intense war violence throughout, characters get shot, stabbed, blown up, killed, and assaulted, multiple characters die, a character is ran over by a car and killed. (Multiplayer) Violence and killing and fighting throughout. (Survival) Basically the same as multiplayer, alot of killing and death. Language: •••• (4/5)..., (Campaign) Strong language includes several uses of f--k, s--t, b---h, butt, ass, hell, damn, crap, freaking, balls, p---y, a-----e, bastard, d--k, God, retarded, and screw. (Multiplayer) X. (Survival) X. Sex: • (1/5)..., (Campaign) Infrequent mild sexual references/innuendo. (Multiplayer) X. (Survival) X. Drugs: •• (2/5)..., (Campaign) Characters drink alchohol and smoke ciggarettes. (Multiplayer) X. (Survival) X. $
Parent Written byEziotheAssassin July 28, 2014

Common Sense exaggerates again.

The blood can be turned off and the only execution scene is a gun being pointed at your face and the screen goes black. The only violent scene is when a city gets nuked and you control your character crawling through the fiery rubble. It is very shocking but is not graphic in any way. People online will use profanity, but that can easily be avoided. There really is no gore or torture, either. This game is the best Call of Duty in the series so I would definitely recommend this game.
Parent Written byGrandTheftAutoV March 9, 2014

Modern Warfare is a great game.

Is not as violent as CSM says it is, and I would not consider damn, hell, or sh-t "Strong Language" this should be rated T.
Parent Written byTheNardDog June 7, 2013

Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Great Modern Shooter

The best game out of the call of duty series is modern warfare. It is the first call of duty that takes place in present time, not during world war 2. It is also the highest rated call of duty. The game has some blood but very minimal. There is some cursing throughout the game, but nothing too much. Thanks for reading this review!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjacob smith July 26, 2010

is it ok for tweens

this game is very good it has more blood than modern war fare 2 and it has the enemy's arm fly off the game has chunks of heads coming off but the head still looks clean and you can not see the chunks on the ground the game is as good as modern war fare 2 if not worse but it is a very good game,there is no f words but there is s words and d words and there is a guy on the forth level when the guy shoots 1 guy a puddle about 2 feet surrounding him coming out and it looks more real then mod 2
Adult Written bycrazyninjajake December 10, 2009
This game is very fun and actually doesn't have as much violence as a lot of people say.