All parent member reviews for Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Adult Written bychartedfan312 November 14, 2012

The Whole Story

As usual Common Sense Media is only telling you half of the story. Just as in the original Black ops, you have the choice when you start the game to disable the graphic content. I have played about 2 or 3 hours of the campaign (on the PS3) and have not heard a single cuss word. The graphic content reducer is not only censoring the worst words but all of the cuss words. However it does do this a lot which tells you that if you were playing the normal way the language would be very bad. The graphic content reducer also greatly reduces the blood and violence. There are certain parts of the game where the screen actually goes black in order to hide the violence. I have played both off and online and have yet to hear a cuss word. Now, of cource, if you don't mute the other online players then you are likely to hear some cursing, but muting them is easier than ever. Just go over to the list of players and press the square button and select MUTE ALL EXCEPT FOR PARTY (You may have to be over your own name to do this. I'm not sure.). I haven't played the zombie part of the game yet but I expect that it will be censored in the same way as the campaign. Also, I should note that I haven't played enough of the game to know what the suggestive themes are about, but Uncharted 2 had the same 3 dot rating for sex and it wasn't very bad (the kind of sutff you see on basic tv.) However I may write another review after I have played more of the game. Oh yeah, and by the way, I really love the game so far.
Parent Written byCuties195 December 11, 2012

CSM isn't telling you everything (like usual)

I have an 11 year old son who is restricted from playing M rated games. When my son asked for this for his upcoming 12th birthday, I said no, and he said, "But everyone else plays it. You can turn of the Gore and language!". So I came here and saw that CSM rated Black Ops 2 NOT FOR KIDS, but then I saw the other parents who said they didn't agree with CSM. So I did my reasearch, and saw that you CAN turn off the Gore and language. A little unsure, I bought the game and gave it to my son. We let him play it, but we had to watch to see if our son could play it. To be completely honest, with Gore and langauge off, it could easily be rated T. So for all you mothers who have your pre-teens or teenagers asking you for this game, buy it! It's perfectly fine!
Parent Written byjohn316 November 19, 2012

awesome game

most games have no way to filter content, but this one has that and gets rid of all language.
Parent Written byTaCTiCaLxReFLeX November 17, 2012

Quick, and to the point

language can be turned off along with blood....I dont even know why this game is rated for sexual themes, there is really nothing, all there is are a few girls dressed mildly suggestively.....i could see worse by just visiting the local mall. the game is fine for kids 12 an up
Parent of a 1 year old Written byESRB_IS_OVERATED February 2, 2013

YOU CAN TURN OFF BLOOD AND GORE AND ALL OTHER DISTURBING CONTENT

Ok so esrb says blood gore and arms flying off but here is the thing at the beginning of the game it says do you want to see disturbing content say no and all bloods gone in zombies,multiplayer,and campaign. Also is blurs out violent cutscenes and most the time serious foul words are replaced with different words. In my opinion totally ok for Tweens but 9 and ten is cutting it.
Parent Written byMattJakobs December 2, 2012

Why parents should let 14 years and above play Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

I am a 45 year old husband my wife is 43 and we have 3 sons who are 22, 17 and 14 my youngest son who turned 14 in November keeps asking if he could get this game because of most of his friends are playing it and both his brothers are. We thought there could be an issue because of the language and he might repeat it but you here it all over and the violence could be bad. We let him have so he could prove himself he has been amazing with it you can mute other people on the multiplayer if they swear which the majority don't and surprisingly there is not much violence compared to other games his brothers play. He hasn't changed his attitude he helps out with the dishes still and he does his homework straight away when he gets in, his attitude has improved since we got him this game. But the main thing we have all seen is his confidence has gone up, he goes to clubs in school which is amazing because he was a shy boy and didn't try much before but speaking to his friends on x box and Call of Duty. There is violence but it is teaching kids that war can be dangerous. If any of your kids are aged 14-17 i would let them play on it because making them happy is the best thing in life.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bylittlereviewer12345 June 30, 2013

My son aged 10 loves it!

My son, aged 10, loves it! But I got it for him on one condition.........He spends a certain amount of time on it and only at weekends, he is happy with that, it is based around a war in the future. My son also enjoys playing online with friends, check online servers before letting your child play on them though. It has taught my son about the war and how horrible it is. I would say for 10 & up.
Parent Written bysarah456 April 22, 2013

ATTENTION PARENTS WHO WON'T LET THEIR CHILD GET THE GAME.

Now, I am really against human on human violence games so at first when my kids begged for the game i said no. I thought the game would be to violent for my 13 year old, but it is as violent if not less violent than most PG-13 movies. When you shoot a man down they just fall over with very little blood, which is less intense than some other games my son has, like Halo. The only reason I let my son get halo is because you are only shooting aliens for most of the time. But compared to Call of Duty, Halo more extreme (with gore turned off), like in halo you can come up behind an alien and do some vicious stabbing move to kill it. Plus in call of duty, its so face paced you can barely tell exactly what it is you're shooting at! And last but not least, when I finally let my son get it I watched him play with his friends and they were having such a great time I decided to try it, and its really fun! So if you were like me and didn't let your kid/kids get it because of human on human violence but you let your child watch PG-13 movies and allow him to play other M-rated games (Halo), you should definitely rethink your decision.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byIlovemychildren12345 December 19, 2012

LEARNING

A great game for your child 13 or older!!

It is a great game for kids the age of thirteen I just bought it for my son and he has been more obedient has listened better and has even improved his grades. You can also turn off the blood and gore and language. The only thing you should avoid is the campaign it is to violent unless your at least 14
Parent Written byCaringparent1234 December 2, 2012

Black ops 2 good for kids?

It can be bad at some times but its mostly just the campaign you should watch out for.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byzmanrox February 10, 2013

FILTERED

wow commonsense media, tell them about the filter. it turns off the blood & language. honestly, the blood isnt even that bad( unless using sword). it also sensors out ALL cuss words. furthermore, if ur kid plays multi player more than single player it becomes on for kids 9 & up. also it teaches u that war is very bad, and one mission( in single player campaign) is about noreaga. on for kids 12 and up.
Parent Written byMrhotshot January 27, 2013

EPIC

violence is not an issue because it can easily be turned off in the pause menu and the swearing you hear is like nothing like what you here in secondary school. if you are a parent reading this and your son/daughter is begging you for this game and you are saying "no" go up to them now and say "yes". its just like any old game.
Parent Written bymikai999 January 13, 2013

for 11 year olds

its cool and doesent have any sexual content.its more violent assassins creed.you can turn off the cussing.but on line people can say what ever they want.but you dont have to talk omline you can just talk with friends .you can turn off the blood
Parent Written byJean Cooper June 13, 2014

LEARNING

Call of duty black ops II

I gave my 9 year old this, he was asking for ages!! driving me mad. he kept on saying "Please! all my friends have it!" So I bought it, played it myself. So, when I turned the game on, it gave me an option to turn gore + language off .(the message is "Do you want to see disturbing content?") I turned It off, tried campaign, no cussing or gore, then zombies, no cussing or gore, and then multiplayer. NONE! This game has scenes where the chief operator Is smoking a cigar, just to say. So if you're saying no, just read this.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byThe Master0404 November 26, 2012

Black Ops= Good for learning

Teaches Mature Teens about the ruth of war.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTracey1945 December 12, 2012

Not as violent as Common Sense says it is.

Chances are, whenever a new Call of Duty video game comes out, your child is going to beg for it. Even though Common Sense says that it is Not For Kids, this is one of the games that warrants an exception. Your child most likely wants this game for it's online multiplayer. I have watched my son play, and have played a little myself, and I can say that this is nothing worse than what children are exposed to by the media or at school. If your child has XBOX live or a playstation online account, you should get the game for them. If they don't have one, I don't think you should buy it. The campaign itself, which I don't think my son has played before is rather violent, but the gore can be turned off in the options menu. There is also a zombies mode, but the gore can be turned down on that as well.
Parent Written byTH3 FAMIL3Y D@D August 30, 2013

the truth about Call of Duty: Black ops II

hello other moms / dads if you boy/ girl is asking to get this game well in this game you can turn off graphic content in the settings and that will turn off all gore,violent cutscenes,and all the bad words are replaced with new ok ones. if you turn off graphic content in the settings it appropriate
Parent Written bymegastaraxe January 20, 2013

Here is the real review

Every time you shoot someone blood flys out of there body there are some graphic scenes like when menendaz stabs a solider in the neck with a glass shard when you shove a blade halfway threw someone's throat and also when you see someone burn alive if your kids have played past call of duty games then they can play this one there is very strong language from f--k to c--ksucker but if your kids have played other m games its nothing they haven't heard before and zombies mode is more scary than gory
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bybrettyd December 30, 2012

its a war game, what do you expect

for mature gamers! ok, most of these war games have an age rating on them, fair enough no-one takes notice of this , as previously stated this is a war game, so, expect war, this one has a bit of a sci-fi twist in the campaign mode too, you do have the option to turn off graphic content, so that is a good bonus, but at the end of the day, you are still a man on a mission armed with guns, grenades, booby traps etc, over all a great game, but not for kids, an as for the zombie add on, well maybe a 15? quite a spooky ambiance is created with the noises and graphics, could easily scare 13/14 year olds, talk to your kids about war and what they think it is all about and what it means, happy gaming, know your childs limits!
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byjarrto7 February 3, 2013

Good for most teens

This is an addicting game to play. There is all around violence, gore, and strong language in the game. This is from the undoubtedly biggest franchise in gaming so there is no way to keep your kids from begging you for it. There also is a setting to turn off language in campaign and zombies mode.