Kid reviews for Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Extremely violent military shooter with profanity, drugs.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKingturnip26 April 11, 2014

Great game

Great game, only rated M because of campaign

Teen, 17 years old Written byYoo July 25, 2015

CSM over reacting

Call of duty black ops 2 is not that bad. Most kids will ask there parents for it and say but all my friends have it, and of course the adult will look at the rating and say no because it says drugs/alcohol, sexual themes, profanity, etc. I feel that this game is very violent and I have read some reviews that are saying that there son or daughter has been doing better in school or this game is very educational, IT'S NOT. But before you start the game you have the option to have graphic content turned on or off such as foul language and blood and gore. With the graphic content settings disabled, I think that this game definitely deserves an ESRB T-rating, however it still leaves some of the foul language out there such as: a**, d***, and h***. I am not going to lie but zombies is very brutal and it can scare kids very easily. I had my 12 year old son begging for this for his birthday and I said no because it was rated M for mature. So I went to CSM and did some research and found that a lot of parents said you can disable and enable the graphic content and found out it was not that bad, so I bought the game for my son for his birthday, he was one happy kid.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBaked Carrot November 28, 2014

Review by a BO2 addict

Call Of Duty: Sex, drugs, violence. That is what most parents think of the game. I agree the game is overly violent and cursing is exaggerated, but most of these things can be toggled on or off. Turning off gore can transform the game into something more teen rated. Of course there is always the people on the online part of the game saying inappropriate things or insults, but that can be taken care of by disabling the online service or connection. Over all, BO2 is very entertaining and immersive, but can be quite violent at times (with gore enabled). I think 13-14 year olds should be able to play, but what really depends is if the online aspect is enabled because if it is, players may hear screaming little kids, to college students who can find nothing else to do than get in online arguments with kids. Lots of bad language online, not recommended if you don't want your son/daughter to hear these words. Wrapping up, BO2 is very fun and loaded with fast decision making and strategy, I have lots of fun playing and all the boring moments after homework are eliminated. Remember to play in moderation though, the game is quite addictive (believe me i know). Final verdict; with certain options enabled or disabled, the game can become a Teen Rated game. Very fun, great Christmas present, wonderfully made game.

Privacy & Safety
Teen, 16 years old Written bygam3_mast3r99 June 30, 2017

CSM doesn't tell you everything!

As usual, CSM doesn't tell you everything. It says "extreme violence" and "blood", but you can turn off the bad language and the gore at the start of the game! It is alright if you turn that off, but leave bad language and gore on at your own risk!

Teen, 13 years old Written byKid_57392 August 16, 2014

You can shut off the gore and language

This game is very violent for young people, but you can turn off the blood and bad language. This game is very appealing to a lot of kids. It doesn't wear off fast. So you or your kid won't get the game right away and then not play and waste 60 bucks.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySealith November 19, 2012

An Experienced Revier

Now before anyone runs away from this review because it's coming from a teenager, I must remind everyone that I have one of the highest (and the most detailed) review on this game's predecessor "Modern Warfare 3". The votes on it are: "Helped me decide (52) | Had useful details (51) | Read my mind (43)". So now that's out of the way, I'll begin.
TreyArch has a reputation in the Call of Duty franchise for making amazing games and threatens to outdo Infinity Ward's original dominance of the series. This is their third installment in the franchise including "World at War" (Call of Duty 5) and "Black Ops (One)" (Call of Duty 7). TreyArch is also known for following their customer's very closely and giving the, what they want. They hit the nail on the head when it came to this installment. Not only did they reconstruct the multiplayer to give it a new feel that old fans have been waiting for since the 4th installment, they also created a great campaign, something Call of Duty is not known for, and a greatly entertaining zombie section of the game.
When it comes to the campaign though, TreyArch also has a history of creating the most brutal ones. I get the bad part out first. The Black Ops II campaign is like any other TreyArch one. Ridiculously brutal. When reviewing Modern Warfare 3, I mentioned that it belongs in the lower section of the M rating, saying it barely met the requirements for it. Black Ops II on the other hand fits into the M rating quite comfortable. I'm not saying it's inching towards the AO (Adults Only) range at all, but it is definitely where it belongs. Not only is the violence and profanity rather high, but the emotion and choices that TreyArch put in (and forces you to make) can add onto the intensity. But like I said earlier, this is the bad part. TreyArch also understands its "less-than-bloodthirsty" crowd is part of its sales, so they added a way to turn off the gore and profanity. One settings switch and your suddenly very close to having yourself a T-rated game. Players will still have to witness civilian deaths (as they happen, while in Modern Warfare 3 98% of civilian deaths were off screen). You do get to kill these murders shortly after the firing begins though. All in all keep in mind that the Black Ops II can be toned down, but is still barely worthy of that M-rating.
When it comes to multiplayer, Call of Duty is nothing short of famous (at least to the gamer world). After eight years of perfecting its technique, the series has been able to go under yet another transformation that makes it the game it is today. TreyArch listened to consumers and created a game based mostly on their complaints about previous games. The multiplayer in Black Ops II is nothing short of awesome (again), although it still has some issues that no programmer can rid of yet. This is the rather illiterate (and young) community that has revolved around this series. The result is little twelve year olds cussing each other out. Don't worry though. In game and post/pre game settings allows you to mute anyone you're playing with. The main child anyone should be facing is the shear amount of pros that will be on this game that could easily rip them apart in any game mode. TreyArch saves us again however with combat training, which lets you play easier (and progressively harder bots if you wish) in multiplayer simulated matches with real objectives. The newly installed league play also groups newbies with newbies and pros with pros, ensuring fair and exciting play every game.
Now onto the last aspect of Black Ops II that no one could have expected four years ago. The zombies mode was introduced into World at War as a little bonus for beating the game. The response to the game mode was so powerful and positive that Black Ops (One) expanded on the mode and Black Ops II has now made it a full blown new game mode with dozens of additions that I couldn't possibly name. When it comes to the part parents are concerned about, you are killing any people in this game, but you kill zombies that look like people...sort of. The main issue is that blood is rampant throughout the game (your killing hundreds and even thousands of infected zombies with unbelievable firepower). While this could be a great team building game for friends (its now up to 8 players), online play proposes the same problems as multiplayer. Just mute those people if needed. The zombies mode is purely for entertainment, and I must say, it is EXTREMELY entertaining.
What people should know is that TreyArch know how to sell to a wide audience. They know parents won't buy games that are super violent, so they gave options to tone it waaaay down, and nearly every disturbing instance can be covered. The only reality of the game that you can't change is that it's people shooting other people (although that's not even true either in zombies.) Another note is that I didn't mark drugs since the amount of drug use seen in this game is seen in every day life.
Thanks for reading!

Privacy & Safety
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpencin8r November 15, 2012

Black Ops 2

This game may not be the most educational,least violent,or even least scary game out there but parents shouldn't give up on it quite yet. First off, all gore can be turned off, secondly I honestly think the gore can be left on for someone 12 and older. It teaches kids the brutality of war and can be a real wake up call. Plus it has a great campaign, totally unrealistic zombie gore, and multiplayer where you can connect with friends and people across the globe. Definitely great for someone 12 and up!

Teen, 16 years old Written byCato Hadley November 14, 2012

Black OPS

It is a war game, it is intertaining can keep you busy for hours! I rate you play it only if you like war games and to watch blood splatter out of Zombies!

Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2016

Good but does swear!!!

Its a great game but does say words like f--k, s--t and other words like this. Do not buy if your child is under 9 old. Maybe you can buy if your child is 10 but is very mature. Very fun though.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySwaggyTurtleGamer April 1, 2015

Best Call of Duty There will ever be!!!

This is the title. It has the best campaign/multiplayer. The guns are great and so are the maps. It even has Zombie mode! This game is very violent, but I have it and I play it with my 7 YEAR OLD BROTHER! We play multiplayer together, but Zombies is a little to scary for little kids. So I only play that with my friends. Trust me parents, great game for 11 and up.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2014

This is an epic game

I think this game is good for 9 years and up. 8 year olds should be able to play but they need to be with an older person.It has gore blood ang bad language but you can turn all that off.

Kid, 11 years old February 25, 2014

Is call of duty black ops 2 good

Hi,I have halo and I'm am begging my mum into letting me buy call of duty black ops 2. She thinks that ma15+ games are to violent, I have been reading a lot of the reviews on black ops 2 and I have know test that you can tern the blood,gore and language turned off or down. I have told my mum about this which helped me a tiny bit on buying the game, mum just thinks your just going to get a bad inflow wins.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Real reveiwer May 15, 2013

My first common sense angry rant

Are you seriously going to let a stupid website rule your kids? I mean really people If you ask me this site is full of bullcrap. I have played this game before and really it isn't as bad as they say, I mean its like they see the M on the cover and they say "op! Too bad Let's go make a few more thousand kids miserable. Maybe they should add a counter "How many kids hate us Now" Im beginning to doubt the fact that they actually play the game or if they just look at the content descriptors. Common sense editors if your reading this Maybe youll realise that you need to rethink things and let this site become a democracy and not a dictatorship. Or at least take input from people who have actually played the game. Thats all i have to say... For now

Teen, 13 years old Written byBigman668 December 16, 2012

Black Ops ll What Parents Think

It is really not as bad as parents think it is for me my mom takes a glimpse at it and says its violent. they dont understand the true meaning of what youre doing. Plus when parents see the blood in gameplay they dont understand that you can turn it off.

Teen, 17 years old Written byGamerkid234 June 17, 2021

a little gory but fine by my mum

I think it's good because you can take of blood swearing ect ,its actually a little educational for kids like Soviet involvement in Afghanistan .Also the story emereses people in the story to .

Teen, 13 years old Written byMiyah2678 June 4, 2021

fun game

I love playing cod

Kid, 12 years old April 27, 2021

Fun game for teenagers!

If you don't turn of the blood and swearing than this game is for adults, but if you turn the blood and swearing OFF, than it could easily be T rated game.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCoolseth43 February 7, 2021

Violent fun shooter with language should be ok for 14 and up

This is a shooter game to the sequel of the first black ops game it is very violent and expect language like f*ck and sh*t and other profane words but overall if your mature enough then it’s ok for a 14 year old my opinion.

Teen, 14 years old Written byActionMovieGuy January 14, 2021

A true Classic!!

This game is amazing!! The campaign, multyplayer, and zombie mode are all amazing. Some blood when you shoot people but not over the top. Some swearing here and there. Overall one of the best cods ever!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byNonsensical_Reviews December 19, 2020

Amazing but violent game depends on your kid if they'll be affected by it's mature themes.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops II is a 2012 war game made by Activision.

Rated M
For strong language, intense violence, suggestive themes, blood

Language(3/5): There is a setting where you can only play multiplayer and zombies, where there is no dialogue at all. However, in campaign mode, the characters swear, with uses of "f**k", "s**t", "b**ch", "c**k", "d**k", "sl*t", "a**hole", "hell", and more.

Sex(2/5): References to prostitutes.

Drinking, Drugs, And Smoking(1/5): References to c*caine and other drugs are mild and scattered throughout.

Violence(4/5): The concept is to kill other enemy players, and you kill them with a series of weapons including knives, grenades, helicopters, explosions, and primarily all types of guns. Some blood is shown when you kill people at close range.

Positive Messages: Maybe an antiwar message or message about courage...?

Positive Role Models And Representations: Virtually none throughout the carnage.

Quality(opinionated): A great game, and especially entertaining with friends. It's very addicting and incredibly well made.