All member reviews for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Mature shooter with controversial terrorist mission.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Educator and Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byJparker August 9, 2010

Maturity and education are key

Call of Duty. My son's favorite game and on of my favorites to. Most parents today take one look at a rating and then make there choice. They do not take the time to read reviews by other parents who have allowed their kids to play the games or watch the movies. This is a problem. COD MOD2 as my son calls it it a war game and it is violent. what you need to remember is that you are taking the part of the GOOD GUYS (The US Army) and fight to protect freedom in other places. The only reason for such a high rating is because of some mild language (One count of the F word) and because of the realistic violence. I like to use games, movies etc. as learning experiences for my kids, With this game I talked to my son (14 years old) about how true to life this game actually is. The gameplay reminds me of the war stories my father told me when I was younger. I think that one could call this game educational because it is so lifelike in the scenarios and in the the tactics used to take dow the opposing forces. The game has good role models in the sense that you are playing the part of the good guys and that you are fighting to make the world safe for all. I tell my kids that fighting is never the answer but sometimes when you cant use your words to change bad people or people who are hurting others,you need to resort to force to keep people safe. I have two kids, one age 12 and the other age 14. I think that this game is to intense for my 12 year old to play. I hope this review helps you with your choices. Dr. J. Parker
Parent of a 13 year old Written byblueduck86 August 6, 2010

Great Shooter for kids 12+

I think that kids and teens shouldn't play most M games, but some are acceptable. When people rate games, I think they overrate them. about half the games that are M are the equivalent of a pg 13 movie, such as halo 3, odst. Non realistic blood and pg 13 language isnt so bad as to be treated like a rated R movie, it would be a pg 13 movie. Half the things kids watch are worse than M games, and have much more language. As long as your kid isnt running around your street pretending like hes killing your neighbors with an airsoft gun, then i would trust him/her to play an M game. It's all a matter of whether you trust your kid not to curse or kill people. (honestly, do you think your kids gonna wake up in the morning going, "mommy! I just played mw2 and it inspired me to kill people! bye!") The game does have a mature content filter, so that cuts out most of the language and blood. Just go to the options menu and you will see the option for the filter. As most people probably know about from news stories or hearing people talk about it, there is a controversial level in the game where you go undercover as a Russian terrorist and go into an airport where you massacre innocent civilians. The game gives players several options 1. Skip the level entirely. 2. Go through the level but don't kill anyone, or 3. Kill everyone you see. I had my 12 year old son skip the level entirely. There is no penalty for skipping the level. There is some pretty bad language, but kids hear stuff a lot worse than s--t or f--k (which they say pretty rarely) at school that us parents might not have even heard before. I was picking my son up and there were some 12 year old kids who were fighting and talking like sailors. I asked my son about it (he wasn't involved) and he said he hears kids say stuff like that all the time at school. I actually think the filter is unnecessary until the last level of the game where your character is stabbed and all you see is a big red mess around you. So this game is okay for kids 12+ if you skip the level "No Russian" and use the filter.
Adult Written bynaildesigner May 19, 2010

Great game

If your not an aggressive parent like the ones who won't even let there kids watch Bambi, then this game is ok for your kids. There may be one level that promotes terrorism, but it gives you the option to skip it and move on. Its not that bad of a game language is about the only issue, just mute the TV. Don't worry about blood in in anything, blood is a natural part of life so parents who think that blood is something bad;WRONG; its natural so get used to it. Its rated M for blood and the terrorist mission but like i said (or typed) those are issues that can easily be taken care of. Enjoy your soon to be favorite game.
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

Without the one terrorist scene, much lighter game than Black Ops.

Just like I said before with Black Ops, just because a game is rated M doesn't necessarily mean it automatically should be ruled out for all age groups. I'd definitely let most 14-16 year olds play this game, no problem. It is a good game, the storyline's a bit lacking compared to other Call of Duty games, but, well, great game mechanics make it kind of worth it. There is that one scene everyone talks about, the part of the game that almost got the game banned in some countries, called "No Russian". This is exactly what that level is; you, an undercover agent for the United States, are ordered to stay close to a Russian terrorist in order to gather intel and eventually kill him/lock him up. You are ordered by your supieriors to do whatever it takes, whatever he tells you to do, because it is the only way you will be able to get close to this guy. The Russian terrorist leader orders you and several other of his men to go through a Russian airport, shooting every civilian in sight. This is the first time in Call of Duty games where the character is ASKED to kill civilians. However, you don't even have to shoot. You can just follow everyone and not shoot a single shot. I realize that this is a very obviously violent scene. However, this game as a whole is not as intense and dark as Black Ops. And parents should remember NOTE**** that you can set the game's options to a non-graphic setting that will make it so that there aren't any blood effects when you shoot people, and you are asked at the beginning of this game whether you want to play it or whether you'd like to skip this scene. Without this scene...this game is an entertaining FPS that has great controls, not the best story but good levels, good voice acting, great graphics, (there is language, it is true, and thats just a matter of know your kid and how old they are). Overall....nothing in this game even comes close to the intense darkness of Black Ops, in which you are strapped to a torture chair, and there is a level in which you are locked by your own men into a gas chamber and have to watch the men dying very graphically around you, vomiting blood, eyes bleeding, skin corroding etc etc. Nothing like that in this game. Its pretty much Bang, Blood, enemy dead, swear swear, thats it. If your kid watches that on TV or in the movies anyway...why not?
Teen, 13 years old Written bySense Not Censorship June 21, 2010

Perfect For Age 14 And Up

This game is very easy to play. I have learned many strategies used by the US Marine Corps. It is fun but I do not recommend children under 13 play this game. In one level you are an undercover CIA agent infiltrating a terrorist organization with evil intentions. In this level you can or cannot partake in the murder of innocent civilians in a Russian airport. However, you are warned beforehand about the disturbing content and can choose whether you want to play this level. This game has good role models. Ex: Brave U.S Soldiers defend their homeland while saving hostages and civilians. One major issue is the explicit language used by other online gamers. If you go to the PS3/Xbox 360 family settings, you can control who your child can listen to. This game also has fairly simple controls and you should understand them by the third day you have played the game.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedwarda April 23, 2010

what are we teaching here as parents???

here is my concern! I think it trivializes the evils of war. Evidentally the goal is to kill as many enemy as you can while limiting your own deaths. Deaths? You only live twice remember? How many of our fallen heroes wish they had another chance. In typical games you can die 5x and still win. My son now also plays war games with airsoft guns physically enacting these scenes. When they kill an enemy they usually scream something in arabic language as they die and blood splatters on my tv screen. I feel this game is actually encouraging our kids to enlist and go "PLAY WAR GAMES" . War is nothing but wrong to me and this game sorta makes it seem right and just. Its also extremely addicting. I asked my addicted son if he would play the game if instead of shooting foreign enemies he was hunting down and killing stray dogs in the street ? He said of course not that would b sick. So killing humans with anguished dying screams is cool while killing animals is sick! What are we teaching our children by letting this game be played in our homes?????????
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarkArcher64 February 8, 2011

Extremely Intense Shooter

Alot of pointless killing, blood and gore. No Russian is a mission where you enter an airport and take out hundreds (maybe thousands) of innocent people. Blood is sprayed every where an is extremely gruesome and disdurping. The game is definitely not for kids 15 and under. 16 at the very least if they can handle alot of violence and blood. Another level allows you to drive a truck as you run over people, if you hit someone there brains and skull crack open and splatter all over your windshield. No kids, unless there daring and can take alot of intense content
Parent Written byjohnwalden87 July 31, 2010

Okay for kids 11+, but skip "No Russia"

I got this game for myself to play a few months ago, but then my son started playing it and I told him I don't mind if he plays as long as he doesn't do the mission "No Russia" where you go around massacring innocent civilians at a Russian airport, but fortunately, the level can be skipped. I find the ESRB ratings to be a bit overboard, but I guess they have to since there are some immature kids who would see a guy get shot in a video game and then go decide to shoot someone them self. If I were you, I would allow your child to play this game, sit down with him/her for a while while they play it and see how they react to it. Also, notice how they act when not playing the game for a few days, if they get aggressive or other bad behavior more than usual, because it is normal for this behavior to occur with kids at this age, but if it gets to be too much, put the game away for a few months, then they will probably be mature enough to play the game. Thank you for reading, Dr. Jonathan Walden
Parent of a 10 year old Written byGamer 4 Life January 5, 2010

I'm 17 years old who enjoy the game, and mostly online matches. It really not for kids, they able to pick up new language from other players, and I notice most kids who I over hear, because they can't turn off their mic, can't stop playing this, as I hear parents telling them to stop, and they refusing to stop playing. It a good game for those who understand what right and wrong, but for others uhh I have to leave it and you decide if it best for them. Also hate kids when their in my team, as they lack in teamwork, causing our team to lose. That one of the reason I post this, and Register because I want to say something about this.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDOCCON January 2, 2010

If you've read my earlier COD reviews, you'd notice I'm a big fan of the series, especially when the game features the word "Modern" in it. Things haven't changed here. After being excited for a sequel for 2 years and REALLY wanting one for 9 months prior to release, November 10 was exciting to say the least. I was afraid the game was going to fail to live up the the high expectations I set up for it, but it passed in every way. Multiplayer hasn't been greatly changed, but its been fine tuned with many great, new editions. As before, you start out with only a couple of guns and perks (which are bonuses like reloading faster or doing slightly greater bullet damage), but as you earn kills and complete challenges (fall 15 feet and survive or kill an enemy, take his gun, and kill him again with his own gun), you earn EXP and level up. Leveling up gives you new perks and guns and game types to choose from. The create a class feature from the first game carriers over, allowing you to craft your perfect warrior using what you have unlocked. If you like sniping, you can choose your favorite rifle of the bunch and then perks that would compliment it. However, there have been some additions. Before, you got 3, 5, and 7 kill streaks for getting said number of kills in a row. Now you get to choose between 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11,15, and 25 killstreaks (most of which also need to be unlocked by leveling up, this time in the order of your choosing). This opens up a nice risk/reward system, since earlier kill streaks tend to not be as good as the higher ones (a 25 kill streak calls in a nuke that ends the game and gives your team an automatic win). It may take more work to get an 11 kill streak, but calling in an AC-130 gunship to rain down fire from the sky is much more entertaining, thrilling, an enjoyable than calling in a UAV radar with 3 kills. There are also new attachments to put on guns, such as heartbeat sensors and holographic scopes (which again, are unlocked through getting kills with a specific gun, thus unlocking attachments for only that weapon). Another new feature is upgrading perks. Extra bullet damage against humans is nice, but you can now upgrade the perk that enables that to get extra bullet damage against aircraft and other killstreaks. There are other changes as well, but I think I've said enough. The multiplayer itself can't be beat by any game on the market. It has dozens upon dozens of hours of entertainment packed away and could be sold as a full game all by itself. Most maps are very well constructed. For every sniping spot, there is another place where you can counter the sniper. There are plenty of maps to play on and at least 80% of them are great, probably more. The multiplayer could be sold as a full game all by itself, yet it is only one of three modes you have to play. Spec-Ops is the new mode. It allows you and a friend to play through one of 23 challenges cooperatively. Missions could involve races on snowmobiles, to sniping stealth missions, to areas with a finite number of enemies that you can take down as you see fit. 21 of these challenges can be played solo, but things get fun when a friend hops in. There is no matchmaking for spec-ops, but it allows you to play with people on your friends list or split-screen. It would have been nice to have matchmaking, but odds are, you are going to have friends with the game, so there will be many opportunities to play with others. Overall, I found myself playing it the least and I think it is the worst of the three modes, yet it is still highly fun and some games would be lucky to have that mode as their best mode. Now for the story. As has been highly advertised, there is a skipable mission where you play an undercover CIA agent posing as a terrorist. I don't know how it got so controversial, as there are many films with much more gruesome takes on terrorism than this. I thought the scene didn't take it far enough to show off the true horrors of terrorism, but took it plenty far enough to be found as disturbing. I wasn't offended by it, but others may be. The single player mode is expertly paced, extremely intense, and most importantly, extremely fun. Unfortunately, it is a bit on the short side and ends in a HIGHLY uneventful cliffhanger, making the game feel shorter still, but the six to eight hours it'll take to finish are still highly memorable. Nothing comes off quite as big as a COD4 nuke, but many things come very close. Along with the short length, the story has one more problem: it is nigh impossible to piece together what the heck is going on. After analyzing it for awhile after beating it, you figure out that some corrupt American soldier decides he really wants to be a war hero, so he finds a crazy terrorist and secretly teams up with the terrorist while said terrorist (Makarov) blows the crap out of the American east coast. He destroys much of DC, along with many other locations. There are plenty of holes along the way, but to reveal them is to spoil a lot of the (nonsensical) story, so I'll leave them alone. If you want to find most of them, Gamesradar.com had a Modern Warfare 2 article that did an amazing job at revealing some of the lapses of logic that go on during the story. MW2 is lucky that story doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to shooting terrorists and it is also very fortunate that you never pick up on most of the holes when playing the game. You move from one set piece moment to another so fast, that you never have time to think about what's going on in the story and you never have time to consider what amazing piece of action the developers are going to throw at you next. It acts a bit like a Michael Bay movie, plenty of explosions and shooting, but not a lot of plot. Considering how amazing everything else is, though, you may find it hard to care a whole lot about the story's shortcomings. If I have to choose between insane fun or an amazing story (especially for a first person shooter), I'll take the fun 10 times out of 10 and that is exactly what MW2 gives you.
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byjohansons@winds... November 12, 2009

I have found it amusing and concerning to read other reviews regarding this game. In many cases, it's obvious which reviews were written by kids and which by parents. I can appreciate the excitement and entertainment value expressed by kids. I marvel at the technical, artistic, and literary level today's video games have achieved. I have always been impressed by how creative, intelligent, and eloquent so many game developers are. I actually enjoy watching the "cut scenes" from some of my sons' games, and - by observing their game play- I can see how much goes into a game's developement. As a parent, I also relate to other parents concerns regarding the gore, violence, and language. Most parents would probably find this game suitable for only those children 15 or 16 and older. I, however, have a 12 and 13 year old who have been playing M-games like this one for 3 years. As a parent, the most important issue for me is not whether there is or isn't violence, vulgarity, gore, nudity and the like, BUT whether your child can process the content correctly. I always draw the line at games that glorify and/or encourage devient behavior, abuse, or violence for pleasure or amusement. I can remember watching war footage on the evening news and very gory films in Drivers Ed - I don't want to sugar-coat the world to my childern. The goal is to allow them access to as much information, without desensitizing them to negative aspects. I watch the game WHILE my children play it, and I will start a conversation when I see something that bothers or concerns me. I want to make sure they know this is a simulation- that war is horrible and people can suffer horribly as a result. I also watch the portions that give the player a moral option. I will ask why they chose as they did. C.O.D has not only strived for visual and situational realism- although nothing can fully demonstrate the horror and dispair- it also offers up issues of morality. While I would have liked the "Gore" and "Language" options that are available in G.O.W., they do give you an option to forego the controversial sections of the game. As always, parents must be aware of the risks of online game play - there are no filters or sensors for the on-line gaming community (but those risks are present with even E-rated games). While some parents may not agree with my choice to allow my 12 and 13 year old to play M-rated games, I am confident , that by observing the game and having discussions about the questionable content, my children are able to enjoy the game for what it is: a game that peeks at a specific topic We must respect the talent of the creators of C.O.D 2 and applaud the social responsability they have shown by creating the vetren's fund (let's face it, they could have just pocketed that money as more profit). I'm afraid there are no easy answers in this day and age of technology, but by knowing and understanding your children, and framing the context of this game to those who allow acess to their kids, this game isn't that bad.
Parent Written bymotas1333 November 24, 2011

be prepared!

A very through review of a popular video game that prepares parentswho face children clamoring for these first shooter games.
Adult Written byAli McClark November 7, 2011

Finally! A video game that is Pro-Palestine and not violent!

Hey guys you may have heard of me before? I do video game reviews for all games that have pro-Islamic values! I work for IGN and participated in making battlefield 3 and MW3! Modern Warfare 3: This game is a mildly violent. You kill infected mutated people and robots, but when you kill the mutated people there will be blood. You play as a Palestinian, and with the American's aid you try to save the Islamic world. You are seen praying throughout the game and helping other Muslims. Israel, Germany and France are the bad guys. But they aren't REAL people; they are like half robot half zombies. The violence and language is mild, but for all you worried annoying parents, we added the ability to turn all that stuff completely off via the options menu! To top it all off, the enemies in this game don’t even look REAL. It does not look like you are killing real people, and it does not look like real human flesh or body parts. They are mutated people, so there are numerous body parts (4 arms, 6 legs) and, best of all, body parts stay where they are. No gore, just blood. Other enemies are robots and when you shoot them they blow up. Literally. I recommend this game people 12 and up, with the language, blood and violence off. By the way guys, this game was rated “T” by the ESRB. The rating was later changed because the previous games by the manufacturers were “M”, and ESRB thought that this game should be “M” as well so other kids don’t go buying the prequels. Have fun!!
Kid, 9 years old March 18, 2011

Just don't play campaign mode

Kid, 8 years old March 11, 2011

wow just wow

WOW! no kids so wrong!! uh-huh! yup this game is a war game!!!! not killing people for fun!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byJacko98 February 27, 2011

Good Game for 13+

okay so the swearing isn't bad at all its just like your watching a movie. there is no F words in English so your kids won't know what the Russians are saying. over all I think it is a great game.
Parent of a 13 year old Written by123456789101112... September 18, 2010

Perfect game for kids 12 and older

Amazing military shooter, ok for kids 12+. This game is spectacular. It's fine for kids 12 and older because kids aren't stupid, they understand what's ok in real life versus what's ok in a video game. The game is realistic, and as a father of a Private 1st Class in the US Army, I think that it's important for everyone to know what the soldiers go through to protect us. It's not significantly more violent than Call of Duty 3 (which is rated T.) As pretty much the whole world has heard about, there's an OPTIONAL mission called "No Russian", where you go undercover as a terrorist and work with a Russian terrorist group to kill civilians in a Russian airport. I let my 12 year old son play the game, but I made him skip the "No Russian" level. The blood in the game isn't really that bad. Just a puff of blood when enemies are shot. When you are shot, the edges of your screen becomes bloody, but it doesn't even look like real blood, it's clear and watery. As long as your child is mature and at least 12 years old, this game should be fine for them. If you buy the game used at Gamestop, you can return the game in under a week if you think it's not appropriate for them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHicktown007 September 2, 2010

As a child myself, i believe this site is rather strict. If infinityward really wanted to make this game unbearable for parents, there would have been worse gameplay. It hasnt really bothered me in any way mentally. Coming from an honor student/gamer, i say parents shouldn't really dissaprove of this game, and this site is for strict parents, or for people who don't know how to mind their own business. so i rate this site as a whole a bust, a fail, and just a waste of time
Parent of a 12 year old Written byJoeyBroey177 August 10, 2010

Perfect for a 12 year old or a mature 11 year old

I am a therapist that works with adults and kids. I agree this game is violent, BUT, it's nothing too violent. My mature 11 year old kid had me take a look at it. It was nothing too bad. So I then rented it at block buster to take a look and beat the game. It was'nt bad until I go to the level "No Russian" when my character went into an airport and killed people. I did'nt like that so I decided to not get the game. I eventually found out you can skip that level. So I told my son the only way I would get him the game is if he skipped that level. He agreed and then bought it with his own money. Joe Smith.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydude12345 June 20, 2010

Call of duty six is a really fun first-person shooter game. It has a rather quick story line that pulls you in and makes you want to play more. But, as with all call of duty games, the online gaming is the best part. Obviously not all of the players are nice, making fun of you, etc. And also, there seems to be a lot of controversy about the airport level. Yes, it is a bit disturbing for sensitive people, but it gives you the option to bypass that mission. Now onto the messages. Well, this is a hard one. The soldiers are "good guys" fighting for what is right, but on the other hand they do kill a lot of people, especially in the airport level. Honestly, this game is all about maturity. My ten year old brother could play this game. He knows not go on the street and shoot people.