All member reviews for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Mature shooter with controversial terrorist mission.

Adult Written bynaildesigner May 19, 2010

Great game

If your not an aggressive parent like the ones who won't even let there kids watch Bambi, then this game is ok for your kids. There may be one level that promotes terrorism, but it gives you the option to skip it and move on. Its not that bad of a game language is about the only issue, just mute the TV. Don't worry about blood in in anything, blood is a natural part of life so parents who think that blood is something bad;WRONG; its natural so get used to it. Its rated M for blood and the terrorist mission but like i said (or typed) those are issues that can easily be taken care of. Enjoy your soon to be favorite game.
Educator and Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byJparker August 9, 2010

Maturity and education are key

Call of Duty. My son's favorite game and on of my favorites to. Most parents today take one look at a rating and then make there choice. They do not take the time to read reviews by other parents who have allowed their kids to play the games or watch the movies. This is a problem. COD MOD2 as my son calls it it a war game and it is violent. what you need to remember is that you are taking the part of the GOOD GUYS (The US Army) and fight to protect freedom in other places. The only reason for such a high rating is because of some mild language (One count of the F word) and because of the realistic violence. I like to use games, movies etc. as learning experiences for my kids, With this game I talked to my son (14 years old) about how true to life this game actually is. The gameplay reminds me of the war stories my father told me when I was younger. I think that one could call this game educational because it is so lifelike in the scenarios and in the the tactics used to take dow the opposing forces. The game has good role models in the sense that you are playing the part of the good guys and that you are fighting to make the world safe for all. I tell my kids that fighting is never the answer but sometimes when you cant use your words to change bad people or people who are hurting others,you need to resort to force to keep people safe. I have two kids, one age 12 and the other age 14. I think that this game is to intense for my 12 year old to play. I hope this review helps you with your choices. Dr. J. Parker
Parent of a 13 year old Written byblueduck86 August 6, 2010

Great Shooter for kids 12+

I think that kids and teens shouldn't play most M games, but some are acceptable. When people rate games, I think they overrate them. about half the games that are M are the equivalent of a pg 13 movie, such as halo 3, odst. Non realistic blood and pg 13 language isnt so bad as to be treated like a rated R movie, it would be a pg 13 movie. Half the things kids watch are worse than M games, and have much more language. As long as your kid isnt running around your street pretending like hes killing your neighbors with an airsoft gun, then i would trust him/her to play an M game. It's all a matter of whether you trust your kid not to curse or kill people. (honestly, do you think your kids gonna wake up in the morning going, "mommy! I just played mw2 and it inspired me to kill people! bye!") The game does have a mature content filter, so that cuts out most of the language and blood. Just go to the options menu and you will see the option for the filter. As most people probably know about from news stories or hearing people talk about it, there is a controversial level in the game where you go undercover as a Russian terrorist and go into an airport where you massacre innocent civilians. The game gives players several options 1. Skip the level entirely. 2. Go through the level but don't kill anyone, or 3. Kill everyone you see. I had my 12 year old son skip the level entirely. There is no penalty for skipping the level. There is some pretty bad language, but kids hear stuff a lot worse than s--t or f--k (which they say pretty rarely) at school that us parents might not have even heard before. I was picking my son up and there were some 12 year old kids who were fighting and talking like sailors. I asked my son about it (he wasn't involved) and he said he hears kids say stuff like that all the time at school. I actually think the filter is unnecessary until the last level of the game where your character is stabbed and all you see is a big red mess around you. So this game is okay for kids 12+ if you skip the level "No Russian" and use the filter.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedwarda April 23, 2010

what are we teaching here as parents???

here is my concern! I think it trivializes the evils of war. Evidentally the goal is to kill as many enemy as you can while limiting your own deaths. Deaths? You only live twice remember? How many of our fallen heroes wish they had another chance. In typical games you can die 5x and still win. My son now also plays war games with airsoft guns physically enacting these scenes. When they kill an enemy they usually scream something in arabic language as they die and blood splatters on my tv screen. I feel this game is actually encouraging our kids to enlist and go "PLAY WAR GAMES" . War is nothing but wrong to me and this game sorta makes it seem right and just. Its also extremely addicting. I asked my addicted son if he would play the game if instead of shooting foreign enemies he was hunting down and killing stray dogs in the street ? He said of course not that would b sick. So killing humans with anguished dying screams is cool while killing animals is sick! What are we teaching our children by letting this game be played in our homes?????????
Parent of a 10 year old Written byGamer 4 Life January 5, 2010

I'm 17 years old who enjoy the game, and mostly online matches. It really not for kids, they able to pick up new language from other players, and I notice most kids who I over hear, because they can't turn off their mic, can't stop playing this, as I hear parents telling them to stop, and they refusing to stop playing. It a good game for those who understand what right and wrong, but for others uhh I have to leave it and you decide if it best for them. Also hate kids when their in my team, as they lack in teamwork, causing our team to lose. That one of the reason I post this, and Register because I want to say something about this.
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byjohansons@winds... November 12, 2009

I have found it amusing and concerning to read other reviews regarding this game. In many cases, it's obvious which reviews were written by kids and which by parents. I can appreciate the excitement and entertainment value expressed by kids. I marvel at the technical, artistic, and literary level today's video games have achieved. I have always been impressed by how creative, intelligent, and eloquent so many game developers are. I actually enjoy watching the "cut scenes" from some of my sons' games, and - by observing their game play- I can see how much goes into a game's developement. As a parent, I also relate to other parents concerns regarding the gore, violence, and language. Most parents would probably find this game suitable for only those children 15 or 16 and older. I, however, have a 12 and 13 year old who have been playing M-games like this one for 3 years. As a parent, the most important issue for me is not whether there is or isn't violence, vulgarity, gore, nudity and the like, BUT whether your child can process the content correctly. I always draw the line at games that glorify and/or encourage devient behavior, abuse, or violence for pleasure or amusement. I can remember watching war footage on the evening news and very gory films in Drivers Ed - I don't want to sugar-coat the world to my childern. The goal is to allow them access to as much information, without desensitizing them to negative aspects. I watch the game WHILE my children play it, and I will start a conversation when I see something that bothers or concerns me. I want to make sure they know this is a simulation- that war is horrible and people can suffer horribly as a result. I also watch the portions that give the player a moral option. I will ask why they chose as they did. C.O.D has not only strived for visual and situational realism- although nothing can fully demonstrate the horror and dispair- it also offers up issues of morality. While I would have liked the "Gore" and "Language" options that are available in G.O.W., they do give you an option to forego the controversial sections of the game. As always, parents must be aware of the risks of online game play - there are no filters or sensors for the on-line gaming community (but those risks are present with even E-rated games). While some parents may not agree with my choice to allow my 12 and 13 year old to play M-rated games, I am confident , that by observing the game and having discussions about the questionable content, my children are able to enjoy the game for what it is: a game that peeks at a specific topic We must respect the talent of the creators of C.O.D 2 and applaud the social responsability they have shown by creating the vetren's fund (let's face it, they could have just pocketed that money as more profit). I'm afraid there are no easy answers in this day and age of technology, but by knowing and understanding your children, and framing the context of this game to those who allow acess to their kids, this game isn't that bad.
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

Without the one terrorist scene, much lighter game than Black Ops.

Just like I said before with Black Ops, just because a game is rated M doesn't necessarily mean it automatically should be ruled out for all age groups. I'd definitely let most 14-16 year olds play this game, no problem. It is a good game, the storyline's a bit lacking compared to other Call of Duty games, but, well, great game mechanics make it kind of worth it. There is that one scene everyone talks about, the part of the game that almost got the game banned in some countries, called "No Russian". This is exactly what that level is; you, an undercover agent for the United States, are ordered to stay close to a Russian terrorist in order to gather intel and eventually kill him/lock him up. You are ordered by your supieriors to do whatever it takes, whatever he tells you to do, because it is the only way you will be able to get close to this guy. The Russian terrorist leader orders you and several other of his men to go through a Russian airport, shooting every civilian in sight. This is the first time in Call of Duty games where the character is ASKED to kill civilians. However, you don't even have to shoot. You can just follow everyone and not shoot a single shot. I realize that this is a very obviously violent scene. However, this game as a whole is not as intense and dark as Black Ops. And parents should remember NOTE**** that you can set the game's options to a non-graphic setting that will make it so that there aren't any blood effects when you shoot people, and you are asked at the beginning of this game whether you want to play it or whether you'd like to skip this scene. Without this scene...this game is an entertaining FPS that has great controls, not the best story but good levels, good voice acting, great graphics, (there is language, it is true, and thats just a matter of know your kid and how old they are). Overall....nothing in this game even comes close to the intense darkness of Black Ops, in which you are strapped to a torture chair, and there is a level in which you are locked by your own men into a gas chamber and have to watch the men dying very graphically around you, vomiting blood, eyes bleeding, skin corroding etc etc. Nothing like that in this game. Its pretty much Bang, Blood, enemy dead, swear swear, thats it. If your kid watches that on TV or in the movies anyway...why not?
Teen, 13 years old Written bySense Not Censorship June 21, 2010

Perfect For Age 14 And Up

This game is very easy to play. I have learned many strategies used by the US Marine Corps. It is fun but I do not recommend children under 13 play this game. In one level you are an undercover CIA agent infiltrating a terrorist organization with evil intentions. In this level you can or cannot partake in the murder of innocent civilians in a Russian airport. However, you are warned beforehand about the disturbing content and can choose whether you want to play this level. This game has good role models. Ex: Brave U.S Soldiers defend their homeland while saving hostages and civilians. One major issue is the explicit language used by other online gamers. If you go to the PS3/Xbox 360 family settings, you can control who your child can listen to. This game also has fairly simple controls and you should understand them by the third day you have played the game.
Kid, 10 years old July 2, 2015

Infinity Ward does it again!

This is an amazing game! Alright, don't just skip this because I'm 10 years old. VIOLENCE you can turn off the blood and gore and disturbing moments. Which makes it "T" rated violence. SWEARING once again you can turn off swearing which makes it "E" on swearing. And it wouldn't be a big deal if you don't turn of swearing anyways, it barely cusses it would be "T" on swearing if you don't turn it off. CONSUMERISUM none DRONKING DRUGS AND SMOKING. No Drink Or drugs there is a little bit of smoking though. But it's only stuff you could see anywhere in real life. It's only a guy smoking a cigar once or twice, in my opinion it's a "E10" on drinking, drugs, and smoking. PRIVACY of course like all CoD game there is multiplayer. Which you can hear people cuss there is two solutions to that, 1 mute everyone. 2. Not let your kid play multiplayer. I would give it a four out of five on privacy. EASE OF PLAY a fairly easy game to play, I would give it 3 out of 5 on ease of play. Overall it is good for 12 and over as long as you know your kid is very mature and won't go out and shoot someone because they did it on this game. Overall. I would rate this game "T" thank you for reading this and get this for your kid because it is a great game!
Adult Written byeliram874 June 9, 2014

Insulting to our society and to any Christian

this game has too many profanities from almost all kinds. profanity is too high there is plenty of sacrilege in the game such as when you go to a previous catholic monastery which the terrorists made into a fort and you kill the terrorist, which killing terrorist is not a problem but the location why does it have to be in a church or monastery or any christian sacred location?. you also kill people inside a ukrainian greek catholic abandoned church, bit of background history the ukrainian government in real life forced catholic's as well as practicing orthodox out of the churches and held those churches for their own motives during the soviet times, now in the game you go and kill the soldiers inside the bell tower and inside the church as well as the church yard not only that in the church yard you see a lot of crosses where people were burried and the enemies go to kill you.(with or without filter is still the same) in this game without the filter there is a mission where you kill innocent civilians, I have not done it but I attained this information from (http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/11/call_of_duty_mo...) this game is not for any christian nor for any healthy mind. please do not waste the money in this game there are other games that are much better than this one. this is my expression and only my own as an individual. There are too many insulting games and graphically violent which disturbs our society.
Parent Written byDagney March 23, 2013

Damned if I did, damned that I didn't

I have kept violent video games away from my children until just recently, at 16, when they've COMPLETELY rebelled b/c I did. I'm not sure which is worse... trying to stick to morals and standards only to be hated when they're older and sneaking and lying to my face, with no trust between us, or to have let them have the influence of these horrible games all along, because now they're constantly playing, hours on end, and I have no authority or credibility with my children.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez January 27, 2012

not for kids.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is an awesome first person shooting game but only for adults and parents you need to know that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has a lot of intense violence that is over the top there's some strong language used and some smoking used.
Parent of a 11, 14, and 15 year old Written byThejudgeofallten January 12, 2010

There are some ups and downs all over this game, but good for twelve and up.

This game in some places seems like it should almost be rated teen, or e10. With the amazing filters that they have you can almost comepletely eliminate the blood, and the profanity. With that gone the game is now rated teen. This game portrays role models of American C.I.A agents and British S.A.S. operatives. All these people are fighting for thier country, and slowly along the course of the game you start to realize how horrific war is, sending a strong antiwar message. Parts of this game are sad and moving, with the entire game being incredibly in depth as far as world powers like Russia and Euope go. In parts it requires you to have good problem solving skills and an understanding of government. Gone is the time where you just go to play a game to kill, now you actually have to think about what exactaly you're going to do. As far as profanity and violence goes there is some, but only with the innapropriate material filter off, and it's easy to go under the options menu and adjust that. Overall this game it good for teens who can understand government and strategy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVolcanicSilver November 13, 2009

Great Game. Okay For Kids 13 And Older. Not For Younger Kids.

I'm 13, just turning 14 pretty soon. I would definitely rate it "Off" for ages 8-11, and maybe "Iffy" for 12. My mom and dad just bought me an Xbox 360 last year for my 13th birthday, and just allowed me to play Halo. That was the first M-rated game that I've ever played, and I invited my cousin over for a sleep-over, and we played Halo 3. He only owned a Wii at the time, and only played E-rated games such as Animal Crossing and Wii Sports Resort. But he got permission from his dad to play Halo 3 while at my house, and loved it. A lot. And so they bought him an Xbox and Halo 3. I talk to my friends about video games, and they always talked about how awesome Call of Duty is, and how I need to get it. I had never even considered playing Call of Duty at that time, but I looked at my friends playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and it looks really good. So I've been looking at gameplay videos, reviews, safety reviews, and other stuff that would convince my mom to buy it for me. I imagine the game as an equivalent to a PG-13 movie. But even movies are worse than this game. The Bourne series and other action movies feature things way worse than what is in this game, and my mom started aloowing me to watch PG-13 movies when I was 9. So, that's my reason of argument when I try to convince my mom to buy it, but she says that she is still nervous about the cuss words. That's her main issue. But I listened to CoD 4: Modern Warfare and Halo 3, and you can almost never hear any in-game cuss words, unless you're in a cutscene, when the characters actually have an in-depth conversation. That's normally when you can hear the use of those types of words. But my mom says that if my dad would approve of it, then she would buy the game. Also, I would like for you to know, I'm not some random kid who wants to be able to play violent games and tell all the adults that they are wrong. My mom always describes me as "the perfect child", and the kids at my school think that way, too. Every year since 3rd grade, I've made the A Honor Roll. My teachers love me, I've won the school Spelling Bee 3 years in a row, I'm in the top band at school and just recently made it to Top-Regionals. I'm in Gifted-and-Talented classes, and kids always come to me for help. So, I'm not trying to argue. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, I feel that this game is okay for mature kids 13 or older. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read this (I'm also in the debate team), and I hope this helped some of you parents decide if this game is okay or not for your kid.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythegeek June 22, 2015

just have common sense...

i have read a lot of reviews on this site. a lot of them act like kids are going to become terrorists. honestly, do you think your 12 year old is going to come up to you and say "mommy, i just played mw2. now i want to go join a R Russian terrorist group head by a lunatic and go kill people in an air port and blame the U.S. to start world war three!" or anything like that? know your kid. know whether or not they are going to absorb it like that. and if your still not sure, SKIP THE MISSION it does not penalize you in any way.
Adult Written byWatch out May 12, 2012

13 and up

There is tons of violence, language, and some drug material.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarkArcher64 February 8, 2011

Extremely Intense Shooter

Alot of pointless killing, blood and gore. No Russian is a mission where you enter an airport and take out hundreds (maybe thousands) of innocent people. Blood is sprayed every where an is extremely gruesome and disdurping. The game is definitely not for kids 15 and under. 16 at the very least if they can handle alot of violence and blood. Another level allows you to drive a truck as you run over people, if you hit someone there brains and skull crack open and splatter all over your windshield. No kids, unless there daring and can take alot of intense content
Parent Written byjohnwalden87 July 31, 2010

Okay for kids 11+, but skip "No Russia"

I got this game for myself to play a few months ago, but then my son started playing it and I told him I don't mind if he plays as long as he doesn't do the mission "No Russia" where you go around massacring innocent civilians at a Russian airport, but fortunately, the level can be skipped. I find the ESRB ratings to be a bit overboard, but I guess they have to since there are some immature kids who would see a guy get shot in a video game and then go decide to shoot someone them self. If I were you, I would allow your child to play this game, sit down with him/her for a while while they play it and see how they react to it. Also, notice how they act when not playing the game for a few days, if they get aggressive or other bad behavior more than usual, because it is normal for this behavior to occur with kids at this age, but if it gets to be too much, put the game away for a few months, then they will probably be mature enough to play the game. Thank you for reading, Dr. Jonathan Walden
Teen, 16 years old Written byDOCCON January 2, 2010

If you've read my earlier COD reviews, you'd notice I'm a big fan of the series, especially when the game features the word "Modern" in it. Things haven't changed here. After being excited for a sequel for 2 years and REALLY wanting one for 9 months prior to release, November 10 was exciting to say the least. I was afraid the game was going to fail to live up the the high expectations I set up for it, but it passed in every way. Multiplayer hasn't been greatly changed, but its been fine tuned with many great, new editions. As before, you start out with only a couple of guns and perks (which are bonuses like reloading faster or doing slightly greater bullet damage), but as you earn kills and complete challenges (fall 15 feet and survive or kill an enemy, take his gun, and kill him again with his own gun), you earn EXP and level up. Leveling up gives you new perks and guns and game types to choose from. The create a class feature from the first game carriers over, allowing you to craft your perfect warrior using what you have unlocked. If you like sniping, you can choose your favorite rifle of the bunch and then perks that would compliment it. However, there have been some additions. Before, you got 3, 5, and 7 kill streaks for getting said number of kills in a row. Now you get to choose between 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11,15, and 25 killstreaks (most of which also need to be unlocked by leveling up, this time in the order of your choosing). This opens up a nice risk/reward system, since earlier kill streaks tend to not be as good as the higher ones (a 25 kill streak calls in a nuke that ends the game and gives your team an automatic win). It may take more work to get an 11 kill streak, but calling in an AC-130 gunship to rain down fire from the sky is much more entertaining, thrilling, an enjoyable than calling in a UAV radar with 3 kills. There are also new attachments to put on guns, such as heartbeat sensors and holographic scopes (which again, are unlocked through getting kills with a specific gun, thus unlocking attachments for only that weapon). Another new feature is upgrading perks. Extra bullet damage against humans is nice, but you can now upgrade the perk that enables that to get extra bullet damage against aircraft and other killstreaks. There are other changes as well, but I think I've said enough. The multiplayer itself can't be beat by any game on the market. It has dozens upon dozens of hours of entertainment packed away and could be sold as a full game all by itself. Most maps are very well constructed. For every sniping spot, there is another place where you can counter the sniper. There are plenty of maps to play on and at least 80% of them are great, probably more. The multiplayer could be sold as a full game all by itself, yet it is only one of three modes you have to play. Spec-Ops is the new mode. It allows you and a friend to play through one of 23 challenges cooperatively. Missions could involve races on snowmobiles, to sniping stealth missions, to areas with a finite number of enemies that you can take down as you see fit. 21 of these challenges can be played solo, but things get fun when a friend hops in. There is no matchmaking for spec-ops, but it allows you to play with people on your friends list or split-screen. It would have been nice to have matchmaking, but odds are, you are going to have friends with the game, so there will be many opportunities to play with others. Overall, I found myself playing it the least and I think it is the worst of the three modes, yet it is still highly fun and some games would be lucky to have that mode as their best mode. Now for the story. As has been highly advertised, there is a skipable mission where you play an undercover CIA agent posing as a terrorist. I don't know how it got so controversial, as there are many films with much more gruesome takes on terrorism than this. I thought the scene didn't take it far enough to show off the true horrors of terrorism, but took it plenty far enough to be found as disturbing. I wasn't offended by it, but others may be. The single player mode is expertly paced, extremely intense, and most importantly, extremely fun. Unfortunately, it is a bit on the short side and ends in a HIGHLY uneventful cliffhanger, making the game feel shorter still, but the six to eight hours it'll take to finish are still highly memorable. Nothing comes off quite as big as a COD4 nuke, but many things come very close. Along with the short length, the story has one more problem: it is nigh impossible to piece together what the heck is going on. After analyzing it for awhile after beating it, you figure out that some corrupt American soldier decides he really wants to be a war hero, so he finds a crazy terrorist and secretly teams up with the terrorist while said terrorist (Makarov) blows the crap out of the American east coast. He destroys much of DC, along with many other locations. There are plenty of holes along the way, but to reveal them is to spoil a lot of the (nonsensical) story, so I'll leave them alone. If you want to find most of them, Gamesradar.com had a Modern Warfare 2 article that did an amazing job at revealing some of the lapses of logic that go on during the story. MW2 is lucky that story doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to shooting terrorists and it is also very fortunate that you never pick up on most of the holes when playing the game. You move from one set piece moment to another so fast, that you never have time to think about what's going on in the story and you never have time to consider what amazing piece of action the developers are going to throw at you next. It acts a bit like a Michael Bay movie, plenty of explosions and shooting, but not a lot of plot. Considering how amazing everything else is, though, you may find it hard to care a whole lot about the story's shortcomings. If I have to choose between insane fun or an amazing story (especially for a first person shooter), I'll take the fun 10 times out of 10 and that is exactly what MW2 gives you.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byGaming_Parent April 2, 2015

Just buy it!

I used to play this game with my son but now hes moved on to many other games I say you should just by it. the campaign is not so bad but it can get bloody at sometimes but that's nothing to worry about the spec ops mode is just like campaign but barely any cutscenes and the multiplayer would be harmless to your child I mean your getting into the game rushing to get people so you don't even notice the blood and to notice it you woud haft to look real hard and nobody does that and theres is this thing payback where when you die instead of blood there is money and I think there is a perk for it to be money only I don't know but one last thing is the blood on the sides when you get shot barely even looks like blood it looks very orange and it does not even matter everybody has fallen before blood is natural you should not judge a game even though the most main part people don't like about it it is always going to be apart from out lives so just go to gamestop and let your kid buy the game!