All parent member reviews for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Adult Written bynaildesigner May 19, 2010

Great game

If your not an aggressive parent like the ones who won't even let there kids watch Bambi, then this game is ok for your kids. There may be one level that promotes terrorism, but it gives you the option to skip it and move on. Its not that bad of a game language is about the only issue, just mute the TV. Don't worry about blood in in anything, blood is a natural part of life so parents who think that blood is something bad;WRONG; its natural so get used to it. Its rated M for blood and the terrorist mission but like i said (or typed) those are issues that can easily be taken care of. Enjoy your soon to be favorite game.
Educator and Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byJparker August 9, 2010

Maturity and education are key

Call of Duty. My son's favorite game and on of my favorites to. Most parents today take one look at a rating and then make there choice. They do not take the time to read reviews by other parents who have allowed their kids to play the games or watch the movies. This is a problem. COD MOD2 as my son calls it it a war game and it is violent. what you need to remember is that you are taking the part of the GOOD GUYS (The US Army) and fight to protect freedom in other places. The only reason for such a high rating is because of some mild language (One count of the F word) and because of the realistic violence. I like to use games, movies etc. as learning experiences for my kids, With this game I talked to my son (14 years old) about how true to life this game actually is. The gameplay reminds me of the war stories my father told me when I was younger. I think that one could call this game educational because it is so lifelike in the scenarios and in the the tactics used to take dow the opposing forces. The game has good role models in the sense that you are playing the part of the good guys and that you are fighting to make the world safe for all. I tell my kids that fighting is never the answer but sometimes when you cant use your words to change bad people or people who are hurting others,you need to resort to force to keep people safe. I have two kids, one age 12 and the other age 14. I think that this game is to intense for my 12 year old to play. I hope this review helps you with your choices. Dr. J. Parker
Parent of a 13 year old Written byblueduck86 August 6, 2010

Great Shooter for kids 12+

I think that kids and teens shouldn't play most M games, but some are acceptable. When people rate games, I think they overrate them. about half the games that are M are the equivalent of a pg 13 movie, such as halo 3, odst. Non realistic blood and pg 13 language isnt so bad as to be treated like a rated R movie, it would be a pg 13 movie. Half the things kids watch are worse than M games, and have much more language. As long as your kid isnt running around your street pretending like hes killing your neighbors with an airsoft gun, then i would trust him/her to play an M game. It's all a matter of whether you trust your kid not to curse or kill people. (honestly, do you think your kids gonna wake up in the morning going, "mommy! I just played mw2 and it inspired me to kill people! bye!") The game does have a mature content filter, so that cuts out most of the language and blood. Just go to the options menu and you will see the option for the filter. As most people probably know about from news stories or hearing people talk about it, there is a controversial level in the game where you go undercover as a Russian terrorist and go into an airport where you massacre innocent civilians. The game gives players several options 1. Skip the level entirely. 2. Go through the level but don't kill anyone, or 3. Kill everyone you see. I had my 12 year old son skip the level entirely. There is no penalty for skipping the level. There is some pretty bad language, but kids hear stuff a lot worse than s--t or f--k (which they say pretty rarely) at school that us parents might not have even heard before. I was picking my son up and there were some 12 year old kids who were fighting and talking like sailors. I asked my son about it (he wasn't involved) and he said he hears kids say stuff like that all the time at school. I actually think the filter is unnecessary until the last level of the game where your character is stabbed and all you see is a big red mess around you. So this game is okay for kids 12+ if you skip the level "No Russian" and use the filter.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedwarda April 23, 2010

what are we teaching here as parents???

here is my concern! I think it trivializes the evils of war. Evidentally the goal is to kill as many enemy as you can while limiting your own deaths. Deaths? You only live twice remember? How many of our fallen heroes wish they had another chance. In typical games you can die 5x and still win. My son now also plays war games with airsoft guns physically enacting these scenes. When they kill an enemy they usually scream something in arabic language as they die and blood splatters on my tv screen. I feel this game is actually encouraging our kids to enlist and go "PLAY WAR GAMES" . War is nothing but wrong to me and this game sorta makes it seem right and just. Its also extremely addicting. I asked my addicted son if he would play the game if instead of shooting foreign enemies he was hunting down and killing stray dogs in the street ? He said of course not that would b sick. So killing humans with anguished dying screams is cool while killing animals is sick! What are we teaching our children by letting this game be played in our homes?????????
Parent of a 10 year old Written byGamer 4 Life January 5, 2010

I'm 17 years old who enjoy the game, and mostly online matches. It really not for kids, they able to pick up new language from other players, and I notice most kids who I over hear, because they can't turn off their mic, can't stop playing this, as I hear parents telling them to stop, and they refusing to stop playing. It a good game for those who understand what right and wrong, but for others uhh I have to leave it and you decide if it best for them. Also hate kids when their in my team, as they lack in teamwork, causing our team to lose. That one of the reason I post this, and Register because I want to say something about this.
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byjohansons@winds... November 12, 2009

I have found it amusing and concerning to read other reviews regarding this game. In many cases, it's obvious which reviews were written by kids and which by parents. I can appreciate the excitement and entertainment value expressed by kids. I marvel at the technical, artistic, and literary level today's video games have achieved. I have always been impressed by how creative, intelligent, and eloquent so many game developers are. I actually enjoy watching the "cut scenes" from some of my sons' games, and - by observing their game play- I can see how much goes into a game's developement. As a parent, I also relate to other parents concerns regarding the gore, violence, and language. Most parents would probably find this game suitable for only those children 15 or 16 and older. I, however, have a 12 and 13 year old who have been playing M-games like this one for 3 years. As a parent, the most important issue for me is not whether there is or isn't violence, vulgarity, gore, nudity and the like, BUT whether your child can process the content correctly. I always draw the line at games that glorify and/or encourage devient behavior, abuse, or violence for pleasure or amusement. I can remember watching war footage on the evening news and very gory films in Drivers Ed - I don't want to sugar-coat the world to my childern. The goal is to allow them access to as much information, without desensitizing them to negative aspects. I watch the game WHILE my children play it, and I will start a conversation when I see something that bothers or concerns me. I want to make sure they know this is a simulation- that war is horrible and people can suffer horribly as a result. I also watch the portions that give the player a moral option. I will ask why they chose as they did. C.O.D has not only strived for visual and situational realism- although nothing can fully demonstrate the horror and dispair- it also offers up issues of morality. While I would have liked the "Gore" and "Language" options that are available in G.O.W., they do give you an option to forego the controversial sections of the game. As always, parents must be aware of the risks of online game play - there are no filters or sensors for the on-line gaming community (but those risks are present with even E-rated games). While some parents may not agree with my choice to allow my 12 and 13 year old to play M-rated games, I am confident , that by observing the game and having discussions about the questionable content, my children are able to enjoy the game for what it is: a game that peeks at a specific topic We must respect the talent of the creators of C.O.D 2 and applaud the social responsability they have shown by creating the vetren's fund (let's face it, they could have just pocketed that money as more profit). I'm afraid there are no easy answers in this day and age of technology, but by knowing and understanding your children, and framing the context of this game to those who allow acess to their kids, this game isn't that bad.
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

Without the one terrorist scene, much lighter game than Black Ops.

Just like I said before with Black Ops, just because a game is rated M doesn't necessarily mean it automatically should be ruled out for all age groups. I'd definitely let most 14-16 year olds play this game, no problem. It is a good game, the storyline's a bit lacking compared to other Call of Duty games, but, well, great game mechanics make it kind of worth it. There is that one scene everyone talks about, the part of the game that almost got the game banned in some countries, called "No Russian". This is exactly what that level is; you, an undercover agent for the United States, are ordered to stay close to a Russian terrorist in order to gather intel and eventually kill him/lock him up. You are ordered by your supieriors to do whatever it takes, whatever he tells you to do, because it is the only way you will be able to get close to this guy. The Russian terrorist leader orders you and several other of his men to go through a Russian airport, shooting every civilian in sight. This is the first time in Call of Duty games where the character is ASKED to kill civilians. However, you don't even have to shoot. You can just follow everyone and not shoot a single shot. I realize that this is a very obviously violent scene. However, this game as a whole is not as intense and dark as Black Ops. And parents should remember NOTE**** that you can set the game's options to a non-graphic setting that will make it so that there aren't any blood effects when you shoot people, and you are asked at the beginning of this game whether you want to play it or whether you'd like to skip this scene. Without this scene...this game is an entertaining FPS that has great controls, not the best story but good levels, good voice acting, great graphics, (there is language, it is true, and thats just a matter of know your kid and how old they are). Overall....nothing in this game even comes close to the intense darkness of Black Ops, in which you are strapped to a torture chair, and there is a level in which you are locked by your own men into a gas chamber and have to watch the men dying very graphically around you, vomiting blood, eyes bleeding, skin corroding etc etc. Nothing like that in this game. Its pretty much Bang, Blood, enemy dead, swear swear, thats it. If your kid watches that on TV or in the movies anyway...why not?
Adult Written byeliram874 June 9, 2014

Insulting to our society and to any Christian

this game has too many profanities from almost all kinds. profanity is too high there is plenty of sacrilege in the game such as when you go to a previous catholic monastery which the terrorists made into a fort and you kill the terrorist, which killing terrorist is not a problem but the location why does it have to be in a church or monastery or any christian sacred location?. you also kill people inside a ukrainian greek catholic abandoned church, bit of background history the ukrainian government in real life forced catholic's as well as practicing orthodox out of the churches and held those churches for their own motives during the soviet times, now in the game you go and kill the soldiers inside the bell tower and inside the church as well as the church yard not only that in the church yard you see a lot of crosses where people were burried and the enemies go to kill you.(with or without filter is still the same) in this game without the filter there is a mission where you kill innocent civilians, I have not done it but I attained this information from (http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/11/call_of_duty_mo...) this game is not for any christian nor for any healthy mind. please do not waste the money in this game there are other games that are much better than this one. this is my expression and only my own as an individual. There are too many insulting games and graphically violent which disturbs our society.
Parent Written byDagney March 23, 2013

Damned if I did, damned that I didn't

I have kept violent video games away from my children until just recently, at 16, when they've COMPLETELY rebelled b/c I did. I'm not sure which is worse... trying to stick to morals and standards only to be hated when they're older and sneaking and lying to my face, with no trust between us, or to have let them have the influence of these horrible games all along, because now they're constantly playing, hours on end, and I have no authority or credibility with my children.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez January 27, 2012

not for kids.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is an awesome first person shooting game but only for adults and parents you need to know that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has a lot of intense violence that is over the top there's some strong language used and some smoking used.
Parent of a 11, 14, and 15 year old Written byThejudgeofallten January 12, 2010

There are some ups and downs all over this game, but good for twelve and up.

This game in some places seems like it should almost be rated teen, or e10. With the amazing filters that they have you can almost comepletely eliminate the blood, and the profanity. With that gone the game is now rated teen. This game portrays role models of American C.I.A agents and British S.A.S. operatives. All these people are fighting for thier country, and slowly along the course of the game you start to realize how horrific war is, sending a strong antiwar message. Parts of this game are sad and moving, with the entire game being incredibly in depth as far as world powers like Russia and Euope go. In parts it requires you to have good problem solving skills and an understanding of government. Gone is the time where you just go to play a game to kill, now you actually have to think about what exactaly you're going to do. As far as profanity and violence goes there is some, but only with the innapropriate material filter off, and it's easy to go under the options menu and adjust that. Overall this game it good for teens who can understand government and strategy.
Adult Written byWatch out May 12, 2012

13 and up

There is tons of violence, language, and some drug material.
Parent Written byjohnwalden87 July 31, 2010

Okay for kids 11+, but skip "No Russia"

I got this game for myself to play a few months ago, but then my son started playing it and I told him I don't mind if he plays as long as he doesn't do the mission "No Russia" where you go around massacring innocent civilians at a Russian airport, but fortunately, the level can be skipped. I find the ESRB ratings to be a bit overboard, but I guess they have to since there are some immature kids who would see a guy get shot in a video game and then go decide to shoot someone them self. If I were you, I would allow your child to play this game, sit down with him/her for a while while they play it and see how they react to it. Also, notice how they act when not playing the game for a few days, if they get aggressive or other bad behavior more than usual, because it is normal for this behavior to occur with kids at this age, but if it gets to be too much, put the game away for a few months, then they will probably be mature enough to play the game. Thank you for reading, Dr. Jonathan Walden
Parent of a 9 year old Written byGaming_Parent April 2, 2015

Just buy it!

I used to play this game with my son but now hes moved on to many other games I say you should just by it. the campaign is not so bad but it can get bloody at sometimes but that's nothing to worry about the spec ops mode is just like campaign but barely any cutscenes and the multiplayer would be harmless to your child I mean your getting into the game rushing to get people so you don't even notice the blood and to notice it you woud haft to look real hard and nobody does that and theres is this thing payback where when you die instead of blood there is money and I think there is a perk for it to be money only I don't know but one last thing is the blood on the sides when you get shot barely even looks like blood it looks very orange and it does not even matter everybody has fallen before blood is natural you should not judge a game even though the most main part people don't like about it it is always going to be apart from out lives so just go to gamestop and let your kid buy the game!
Parent Written bymotas1333 November 24, 2011

be prepared!

A very through review of a popular video game that prepares parentswho face children clamoring for these first shooter games.
Adult Written byAli McClark November 7, 2011

Finally! A video game that is Pro-Palestine and not violent!

Hey guys you may have heard of me before? I do video game reviews for all games that have pro-Islamic values! I work for IGN and participated in making battlefield 3 and MW3! Modern Warfare 3: This game is a mildly violent. You kill infected mutated people and robots, but when you kill the mutated people there will be blood. You play as a Palestinian, and with the American's aid you try to save the Islamic world. You are seen praying throughout the game and helping other Muslims. Israel, Germany and France are the bad guys. But they aren't REAL people; they are like half robot half zombies. The violence and language is mild, but for all you worried annoying parents, we added the ability to turn all that stuff completely off via the options menu! To top it all off, the enemies in this game don’t even look REAL. It does not look like you are killing real people, and it does not look like real human flesh or body parts. They are mutated people, so there are numerous body parts (4 arms, 6 legs) and, best of all, body parts stay where they are. No gore, just blood. Other enemies are robots and when you shoot them they blow up. Literally. I recommend this game people 12 and up, with the language, blood and violence off. By the way guys, this game was rated “T” by the ESRB. The rating was later changed because the previous games by the manufacturers were “M”, and ESRB thought that this game should be “M” as well so other kids don’t go buying the prequels. Have fun!!
Adult Written byPipmate September 7, 2011

Investigate before you say no

Most parents take 1 look at call of duty games and say no way because it's to violent. I don't see why parents don't let there kids get this game I mean I'm pretty sure if they get this game they won't wake up one morning and say " bye mom! I'm going to go around the neighborhood and shoot people because that game I spired me to bye!". As for language kids these days at school probably talk like sailors Hope this helped
Adult Written bynick321 August 9, 2011

Great game that kids 13 and up can easily handle.

This is not as violent as people think. There is little blood and gore. If this little bit is too much, you can just turn on a filter for the violence and then there is no blood and gore. Language is not an issue. Kids 13 and up hear this language at school all the time. Kids 13 and up can easily handle this extraordinary game.
Parent of a 13 year old Written by123456789101112... September 18, 2010

Perfect game for kids 12 and older

Amazing military shooter, ok for kids 12+. This game is spectacular. It's fine for kids 12 and older because kids aren't stupid, they understand what's ok in real life versus what's ok in a video game. The game is realistic, and as a father of a Private 1st Class in the US Army, I think that it's important for everyone to know what the soldiers go through to protect us. It's not significantly more violent than Call of Duty 3 (which is rated T.) As pretty much the whole world has heard about, there's an OPTIONAL mission called "No Russian", where you go undercover as a terrorist and work with a Russian terrorist group to kill civilians in a Russian airport. I let my 12 year old son play the game, but I made him skip the "No Russian" level. The blood in the game isn't really that bad. Just a puff of blood when enemies are shot. When you are shot, the edges of your screen becomes bloody, but it doesn't even look like real blood, it's clear and watery. As long as your child is mature and at least 12 years old, this game should be fine for them. If you buy the game used at Gamestop, you can return the game in under a week if you think it's not appropriate for them.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byJoeyBroey177 August 10, 2010

Perfect for a 12 year old or a mature 11 year old

I am a therapist that works with adults and kids. I agree this game is violent, BUT, it's nothing too violent. My mature 11 year old kid had me take a look at it. It was nothing too bad. So I then rented it at block buster to take a look and beat the game. It was'nt bad until I go to the level "No Russian" when my character went into an airport and killed people. I did'nt like that so I decided to not get the game. I eventually found out you can skip that level. So I told my son the only way I would get him the game is if he skipped that level. He agreed and then bought it with his own money. Joe Smith.