Kid reviews for Chrono Trigger

Old-school role-playing remake stands the test of time.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLvl100uberpidgey January 8, 2010

All-time classic

Wait a sec... full of animated blood?! I thought this was a review for Chrono Trigger. Oh, hold on, it is. The battles are totally bloodless and the drinking is limited to one scene. And most importantly this game is one of the best role-playing games ever. Young children will have a hard time with the challenging battles and complex story, however.
Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2014

In my top three!

This wonderful game has stood the test of time. While the Nintendo DS version of this game may not be as memorable, classic, or over-all exhilarating as the original for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, it should be noted that this version, or port, if it can be called that, possesses a new and original side-quest following the game's main plot, giving it that little spark. While this review is solely positive, it should be noted that there is a very small amount of blood, and no gore at all. In one cut-scene (a video for those of you who wondered) the main protagonist cuts a giant snake in half and a small amount of blood is shown. Enemies can cast "Crimson Rain" and a red liquid reminiscent to blood with rain on one of your characters but not linger. I did not give this game my 12+ rating because of the violence, however, but because of the difficulty. Unless you or your child is at least somewhat skilled at video games, this particular masterwork can and most likely will be challenging. I think I played this at the age of eleven--but failed. Then, at age twelve, I picked it up again (on my Super Nintendo) and I was hooked. Some fights will be difficult without use of an online walkthrough or strategy guide like Strategy Wiki or other. Some jokes and gags may go over the head of younger children, such as a character (Marle or whatever the player names her) tells her ancestors (this game has time-travel) to have strong, healthy babies, and a character named Kino says "Don't worry--Ayla (or whatever you name her) VERY strong." Other than that this game is perfection and you should look into it. This is, in fact, my favorite Role-Playing Game to date, I must say...One more thing: a very upsetting event occurs near the end, but it can be altered with the use of time-travel. The role-models throughout the game are very positive and you have the option to either sell something for 10,000,000 G (gold) or give it to a lady for free. The latter greatly assists you as it gives you access to a wide variety of new options. Second chances are also showcased: one character, named Magus by default, is evil in the beginning, but you are given the option to try and slay him or let him join you. All in all, this game is great. I hope I reached you and you go and get this game! P.S.: MUCH consumerism.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMetropolisforever December 7, 2009

Timeless Classic; Perhaps the Best Game Ever Made

"Chrono Trigger" is perhaps the most perfectly-realized video game ever conceived. It's easy to learn how to play, yet impossible to master and always challenging. There is a complex, interwoven story, yet it's never confusing and always completely engrossing. The cast is filled with odd, diverse characters, yet they are never annoying and always fascinating and likable. Filled with epic battles (never violent and mostly implied, if that's what you were concerned about), a compelling story, filled with drama, action, humor, romance, and wonderful characters, a massive range of areas to explore (in multiple time periods!), hundreds of enemies to face, tons of missions to complete, puzzles to solve, allies to gain, items to find, and battles to fight, Chrono Trigger as as good as it gets. It combines strategy, action, storytelling, puzzles, decision-making, and fun in a way that no game before or after has ever managed to top. Even those who hate RPGs with a passion are guaranteed to love this absolute masterpiece of a game. Recommended for everyone who can read and play video games; contains mild (mostly implied) violence and some harmless, playful sexual innuendo (young children will not understand). The best game ever made? Could be!

Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2016

REALLY GREAT!!!!!!

This game has an amazing story line, great battle system, an absolutely amazing soundtrack, and great character designs drawn by Akira Toriama. It's story will keep you immersed, and it's music is the best I've heard. While having fighting, it has no swearing, has no problems with safety or privacy, and no sex. It is personally my favorite game ever, and for others people really like. If your looking to buy this game, it's worth the price, and you should definitely get this game.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMissTetra May 2, 2016

Kid, 10 years old March 6, 2015

Common Sense Media, May I suggest a 9001 star rating?

I don't know if this counts, but I have the PsOne version. AND IT'S GREAT! Within the first minute, I was hooked. Great Story, Great GamePlay, Great Everything... It's good. Play it.

Teen, 14 years old Written bypitatron February 12, 2012

BESTR GAME ON SNES AND STILL AMAZING ON DS!!!

Now this is an amazing game. So much variety, in terms of gameplay. Now on DS this may look not that impressive considering the console it is on and that it was released in 2008. On the SNES, back in the 1990's, this game was amazing in terms of graphics, effects, gameplay and story. So if you play it SNES, you will actually enjoy it more, because it feels amazing, for the time(and it was). The violence in this game is pretty violent. It is not very fast paced, because you have to wait for character's gauge to up. You can attack using a variety of different weapons, like swords, crossbows, hammers, etc. There is no gore in this game at all, no blood either(unless you are playing it on DS or PSX, there is a little bit of blood, when in a cutscene a snake is cut in half, but happens for a split secound). The attacks mainly consist of elemental attacks and combining 2 elements to make one super attack. Many characters flirt with each other, though nothing sexual is in the dialouge. The main character has a dream that he is married to another main character, but nothing sexual happens. A few characters wear suggestive clothes, but the graphics are 16-bit(old school graphics), which takes away from how inappropriate it is. Some of the anime cutscenes show a characters reaveling clothes in more detail, but nothing explicit is ever shown. Your character eventually has to take part in a drinking contest. Although it is in large salad bowl, so it might not be alcohol. You can drink alcohol at times, but never effects you. Sometimes at bars people are drunk and when they talk it is slurred. The game is not that inappropriate, its original rating was E for everyone, but now is E10+, because of the anime cutscenes, which only last a few secounds and each and have no talking or much point in the first place. Overall this game is simply amazing, it overcomes every RPG I have ever played, it may not be very long, but it was so worth it. So please let your child play this, it is ground breaking!

Educational Value
Teen, 16 years old Written byChronoTrigger July 3, 2011

Definately not a kids game...

I've played this game on SNES, and on the Nintendo DS. Both had some drinking, but drinking that is Japanese influenced (Mind you, this game was originally in Japan, not America!)- they're drinking Sake. However, in the Japanese version, and DS translation, Ayla, the cave-woman, does mention being bi-sexual. If you do not want your kids to be exposed to LGBT subjects, don't let them play this.

Kid, 9 years old May 8, 2011

For kids

My parents let me play it when i have JUST 6 years and it was good Not scary, not bloody and its a very good game

Educational Value
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2010

The ultimate RPG ever!!!

This is the ultimate RPG ever nothing can compare to this amazing game. Chrono Trigger has a decisive story-line you can change on a whim side quests that are absolutely amazing and amazing graphics. Some drinking is but in throughout but ultimately Trigger stood through the tests of time!!!

Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2008

A old/new fantacy game that has enjoyment and susspence

I have this game for the Super Nintendo and it is a fun game. no blood or gore. kind of a japanese/american fantacy game. but mild cartoon vilonce. otherwise it is a great game!