Parent reviews for Demon's Souls

Brilliant, extremely difficult, violent RPG in bleak world.

Adult Written byGreg C. May 31, 2019

I LOVE THIS GAME

Demon’s Souls is an amazing game. It is very well designed and is truly beautiful. It is sort of violent, but it’s really not that bad. There’s blood, but not that much. Some of the women’s outfits are a bit revealing, but not really. I love it. It’s one of my very favorite games.

Adult Written byBossManJones February 15, 2012

Just a little bit difficult.....

The game is very dark and has minimal blood but the only real reason not to let your kids play it is they may break your TV when they throw the controller at the screen. I have played 3 hours and have not beaten the first level.

Adult Written byColin A. October 4, 2011

One of the highest pedigrees in gaming. Difficulty and content-wise absolutely not for children.

Demon's souls, as fearsome-sounding a name it is for a video game, fits it rather well. This will probably be the hardest video game you have ever played if you have joined the gaming horde in recent years, and you will be tested brutally. This is the game to hand your friend at a party whilst they boast about their immense video-gaming prowess; you can expect their attitude to quickly change when Demon's Souls is brought up. You will be humiliated by death constantly, and almost every time, you will lose your souls (experience for leveling up your character) and placement in the area. That said, when you die, you go back to the start. Thankfully Demon's souls has mercy in the fact that it is very coherent, and you can understand why you die in almost every situation. It is all up to a player to throw the nails in their coffin. When you start out in the game I can near guarantee you that you or the one you buy the game for will die again and again. It will be frustrating experience, at first.

Then the player realizes, once their personal skill rises, that this is one of the most satisfying video games they have ever played. Every act you do is so soul-crushingly hard that if you are successful, the feeling of payoff is like no other in any game in recent memory.

Past the game itself, it also has some overtones and messages that, if the gamer is unprepared, could actually infringe on their mental health. The world is incredibly dark. Not like a "shoot em up extreme" dark, but more like a "you have no hope" dark. You character is surrounded by disgusting half-humans, killer beasts, and things so horrifying they would be hard to describe in words. Demon's souls can "grip" a person in this manner, up to the point where it can infringe on the player's mental health. So if you or your kid plays this game be sure to have them take breaks often.

Parent of a 8 and 10-year-old Written bykilaen October 19, 2009

Try it before your kids

The violence the dark tone are the two areas for parents to watch out for. I wouldn't necessarily say NO KIDS. The violence is melee/spell oriented and a bit bloody although not gory from what I've seen. There is no cursing but the atmosphere is very dark and gothic. The appropriateness is really is subjective to you and your kids. Not an adults only game such as Grand Theft Auto in my opinion. Honestly this game seems more rated T than M from what I've seen so far.