Kid reviews for Doom 3

As bloody as games get -- adults only.

Kid, 9 years old May 8, 2021

It's OK for EXTREMELY mature kids

The only bad thing in this game is violence. The violence most of the time isn't that bad! Just a HUGE squirt of blood. But if the player gets close to enemies and shoots them with a shotgun their extremely cartoony brains will come out. They will disappear after a few seconds though. I believe this game is for 8+ though.

Teen, 17 years old Written byDOOM1993 April 22, 2021

DOOM 3 is fun

I put DOOM 2016 as 15+ and this for 17+ because DOOM 3 is much more serious and a bit darker than the rest of the series of DOOM. also this game feels slower paced and has darker lighting which made it a bit less fun. it's still a good game but i like DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal more.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVoxelTek March 16, 2021

Recommended to anyone ages 12 or up

Doom 3 is a video game from 2004, that differs slightly from the preceding Doom games (now grouped as "classic doom") in that, instead of a rapid-paced shoot-em-up, it follows a similar style to Half-Life, in that it allows the player to experience the story-line as part of the game, rather than having to make guesses or read a manual. While I admit the game is slightly horror-based, I do not believe it is to the point where it could affect everyday life.

The player takes on the role of an unnamed space marine, employed by a company called UAC, in order to help with research and weapons development on Mars. However, this takes a turn for the worse when experimental teleportation technology opens a gateway to Hell, allowing demons and zombies to invade the UAC base. It is the lone space marine's job to deal with this threat.

While the graphics are certainly outdated (given it was created in 2004), they are more than enough to provide a deep level of realism for the player, and allows for an enjoyable experience while saving the world. With idTech4, the engine used to create this game, you get realistic facial expressions, high quality models, expansive levels, and more. As an added side note, if anyone wishes to increase the quality of the game, I would recommend modified versions of the engine, such as dhewm3 or RBDOOM3-BFG (for the BFG version of the game).

The game contains moderate violence and gore, but minimal swearing. There are a few sexual references hidden in strange spots, however, they are fairly minimal, and not anything to worry about (in my opinion). The gore includes blood, body parts, disintegrating skeletons, and some more minimal issues.

Doom 3 is very entertaining, and has a hooking story-line, while providing the player with challenges and enemies that keep the player glued to their seat. It's an easy-to-learn, hard-to-master type of game, that can be picked up rather easily, but requires a lot of practice to get good at. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes games such as Half-Life, or enjoys an entertaining story-line with great mechanics.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAsphalt76 January 2, 2021

Kid, 10 years old August 11, 2020

Not scary and blood fits

So this is very gory but it fits because its demons and some *human* violence but their zombies demonic zombies and the *scares* are not scary the biggest scares are the imp jumping at you ain't scary well the lost soul intro is weird but not scary the enemy is just annoying but oh boy if you got fear spiders DONT PLAY 3 SPIDER ENEMY AND ONE IS A BOSS and the villain is a human and THERE ARE BABY FLY CREATURES weird and NO GLORY KILLS and the only bad word I heard was ass

Teen, 14 years old Written byEthan S August 7, 2019

Doom 3 is not really bad

Doom 3 is not bad. It's a horror shooter game telling you to shoot demons. Well, common sense it's 18+, but really it's suitable for 12+. It's a great shooter, a real step up from the 90's games, and not very bloody or gory, not anywhere near the blood and gore level as DOOM 2016. The blood really is only red blotches on and around where you shot, and the gore part is just shooting a zombie from so close he blows up. It maybe has some organs and a brain fly out when you do that, but it disappears in a second. The only really bloody part that I've witnessed in my progress ingame, is in Delta Labs 4, where there's writing on the walls comprised of 4 words, SUFFER, SUCCUMB, PAIN, and some other word. PAIN probably isn't right, either. Anyway, this game is good for 12+. Thanks for reading.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCourtyardAntics July 12, 2019

A horror-action adventure, plus lots of fun.

If you’re familiar with Doom, you probably think of it as a run-and-gun type shooter with nonstop action.

However, Doom 3 is much different. Instead of the fast-paced game, you have a slower, more dark game.

The game takes place on Mars in 2145. You are a marine who arrives on a research facility located on the planet. The game takes place almost entirely in the space base, with the exception of two levels. The first two levels serve as a tutorial to help you accustom to the game.

The player is given a selection of different weapons, ranging from a Shotgun, a Rocket Launcher, a Chainsaw, and many more. The player must also switch between a flashlight, which I will explain why soon. You cannot use guns and the flashlight simultaneously, unless you own the remastered version, called the “BFG Edition”.

This game is INCREDIBLY dark. Usually, there will be small light sources, but your main light source is the flashlight. The player is forced to switch between the flashlight and his gun, which successfully makes the player feel more vulnerable. Averted in the remaster, but still works well.

At the start of the game, you will meet humans who have little to say to you. You can kill these humans, but is is discouraged and pointless. Some humans will turn into Zombies once the game leaves the exposition. You will also encounter monsters from Hell, who will jump out at you and throw fireballs or rockets at you. If you get up close, they will try to scratch or ram into you.

There are four bosses, one of which is a spider-like creature who has a sac with a visible fetus. Another one is your marine sergeant who has been turned into an abomination mixed with a tank (which i find quite interesting for a boss.).

Throughout the game, you will meet surviving humans who will give you assistance to advance through. Killing them will result in negative consequences however, such as you not being able to collect better weapons.

The game also contains quite a large amount of satanic imagery - namely, pentagrams, baphomet heads, and skulls. You will also hear demonic whispering and chants in some parts of the game. Please note however, that the game does not support satanism. You are killing the demons, not helping them.

Lastly, the gore. Unlike prior doom games, this one ramps up the blood a little bit. Killing zombies with extreme measures will cause them to explode. If you use the chainsaw, you dismember Enemies and turn them into a pile of mush. When (most) enemies die, they will dissolve away.

Throughout the game, you will also see things such as viscera and, most notably, bloody growths and veins in the walls in the later part of the game.

There is also a notable part where a woman will slowly turn grey before her skull explodes out of her head, taking here spine with it. That one gets me every time.

There are three different times when your player will be teleported through a loud and frightening sequence which looks to be the inside of a giant vein. This is especially frightening if you are not expecting it.

Another important part of the game is the PDA, which will display codes to unlock storage rooms. Take note that some emails that are readable from NPC PDAs contain sensitive content. Nothing overly suggestive though.

Finally, the game does contain jumpscares and pop-outs, albeit they are somewhat cliche and something you might see out of Friday the 13th or Halloween. One must remember, that this is a survival game and not a usual shooter.

In conclusion, this game is suitable for mature gamers only. It contains gore and violence which isn’t for kids to see, unless they are mature and care not scared by gore, darkness, or jumpscares. I first played the game when I was 11 and I am not frightened by it too much.

Have a great day.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there is some swearing in this game. Your sergeant will regularly say “ass” and “damn”. A miscellaneous character will even say, “G**damn it Marine, get out of here!”(only if you bother him). However, I do not believe there are any mentions of the S-Word or the F-Word. The swearing is not regular, it is very rare.

Kid, 12 years old December 24, 2018

Buy this if you want your kid happy

Its freakin' amazing! and this is coming from a kid too! its so cool! and cheap! I say you should be 12+ and trust me, this is the sad truth, if your child owns a computer/game console, they most likely seen worse.
Teen, 14 years old Written byImpMan11203 June 21, 2017

Definitely Satanic, but on the bright side you are killing his minions

I like all the Doom games (even the ones from the 90s). The classics had some gory stuff that shouldn't be for kids under 12. This one, on the other hand, is definitely NOT for kids below 14, during gameplay, there are a lot of terrifying surprises. Demons eating and possessing humans, human body parts every where. Pentagrams, demonic whispers that give you the chills, blood everywhere, screams, pretty freaky stuff. I personally like the horror as it keeps me on edge. But I know some adults that don't play it because it scares them to much, so think about it for a minute before you buy your teen this game. If you want to see how scary it can be, then just look up gameplay of the Communications Transfer. On the other hand, it is really fun to play. And the graphics look AMAZING for a game made in 2004. Though if you've always liked the classic Doom's fast paced action, then you will be pretty disappointed at the slower gameplay. If you want something that is faster paced, try Doom 1, Doom 2, or now Doom 4 (Doom 4 is really violent and gorey though).

Teen, 16 years old Written byGutsygibbion May 28, 2016

Utterly amazing.

Yes, this game is bloody, although not measurably more so than most games of the time. Yes, this game is scary, but in the best possible way. Pure atmosphere and immersion create a stunning yet shocking experience that is sure to be memorable. Not for kids under 15, or for those who scare easily, but for everyone else it is a masterpiece that should be relished in gaming history as one of the best (how DARE the official review give it a 1/5? I give it 6/5!).
Teen, 15 years old Written byLucasGodzilla May 17, 2016

Different but great nonetheless!

Doom 3 is different from the rest of the series. It stood out particularly due to its fact that the game strayed away from the fast-paced classic FPS formula to a more slower but intense story-driven campaign. Whether this is good or bad is up to you, but the main point stands that it still made a really fun Doom game. It has a beautiful creep factor and the lighting still works well today, although the graphics could use a slight overhaul. Even though this may have been top notch when it was originally released, it's noticeably low-res today. Other than that though, the graphics are fairly fine, the game really outdone itself with the sound department. Man I haven't heard a game so atmospherically creepy since System Shock 2. The game consists of both jumpscares and a darkness / suspense combo for those of you wondering. All in all, I'd say this is definitely worth putting some of your time into on that one boring Halloween night. I mean after all, why not? It's only $10 on Steam, and the BFG Edition (Which was a rereleased version of the game a few years back; Highly recommended for those who want to see what the other games were like before the new DOOM 2016) for $20. So go ahead give yourself a good scare tonight! Also a quick note for those concerned parents, I'd say 14 year olds can play this because there's actually quite little gore other than the blood-painted environments. The gibbing / gore system is literally very faint and quick that it disappears very quickly (Not to mention the models are very dated). Also on a final FINAL note, who in the world reviewed this game? First off, this isn't even remotely one star, there are far FAR worse games out there (Seriously, this is a good game!); Second off, why does this game get a three in alcohol? THERE IS NO DRINKING WHATSOEVER! I gotta say, where does CSM hire these reviews from, the gutters?

Teen, 13 years old Written bythe2hotrods July 6, 2015

1 star?

Seriously, one star for quality? Are we really saying that this is a worse sequel than duke nukem forever? Worse than sharknado? I have played far worse games that would get at least 2 stars.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTmg7 March 30, 2015
I played it wen i was six! Its awesome
Teen, 15 years old Written bymichaelmetzger February 10, 2015

Doom 3

Doom 3 is a fantastic FPS horror game developed by ID Software in 2004. This game shows a lot of positive role models, but, it runs with very mature content, such as bloody, gory, brutal violence, swearing, disturbing images, and sometimes jump-scares throughout the game. Doom 3 is also very dark, not as in tone, but in as you can't see a single thing in front of you, because there are a few scenes where the lights will go completely out. Enemies can be blown up, sawed/sliced, and shot into a big gory pile of organs as well. The game's storyline is where you play as a space marine on Mars, working for a research company called the UAC (Union Aerospace Corporation). Your job is to look for a missing scientist in Mars City Underground, witch is where you and the scientist realize that an outbreak of demons and evil souls have escaped from another dimension named Hell, killing everyone. After words, the scientist is turned into a zombie, attempting to kill you, and you need to shoot it. Also, there are parts in the game where swear words are used, such as Jack*ss, f*ck, and sh*t. But, to be honest, the biggest maturity of the game is the amount of gore that is featured, and one of the most brutal weapons to use in the game is the chainsaw. This weapon is capable of sawing through enemies within seconds, causing lungs, brains, liver, and intestines to fall on the ground with blood spraying (And yes, this IS shown on screen). Doom 3 is not for young children, but horror/gore fans will enjoy it very much.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTommyhead October 11, 2013

For teens & young adults

14-28

Privacy & Safety
Teen, 17 years old Written bySnakeFart August 3, 2012

Great for seasoned DOOM fans.

Look, this was the first doom game since doom 2 (DOS game, i mean seriously old) this time they were focusing more on a horror experience, if sight is a problem then it's working (stop posting such idiocy CSM, use actual gamers for this crap i mean seriously) this game is extremely gory including a scenematic where you walk into a room with an unknown growth all over it, as well as a man stuck to the ceiling with his stomach open revealing his innards.) this game series has always been based on satanic demons from hell attacking us, what did you expect? evil unicorns? learning for kids? don't join a cult ._.

Kid, 10 years old May 19, 2012

Not good to play with kids

If you have this game at home and playing this game with a child, please don't play this with a child because this game is too violence for kids i am just giving you an advice. My dad likes to play zombie ps3 games,i want to try it then i did when i saw everything it was too violence,that's why parents or teenagers if you have game that is not for kids please don't show it to them.Thank you for giving me a speech.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 February 26, 2012

The movie was loads better.

For kids who like violent action shooters only.If you like the movie,you will like this too.If you don't like blood and gore,keep a mile away from this game.

Kid, 12 years old January 21, 2012

One of a kind

I love this game yeah, yeah i'm a young girl but i finished this game with my dad and it was so cool and took me 2 in a half, maybe 3 years but it was an amazing game. At first, your marine goes to a mars base or city and no monsters at first nice people but then when you get your pda go to the mars city underground to look for the missing scientest you find him in his unknown office then, the lights flicker an evil soul infects mars people and it's up 2 u to finish the game! In enpro plant a cool level, the beggining is really cool and in a previous level, you meet madusa!!!!!I also finished all the other dooms and can't wait for doom 4! PLAY IT NOW!!!!!

Educational Value
Teen, 15 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 October 21, 2011

Incredible and terrifying shooter is too gory for kids