Parent reviews for Doom

Violent, bloody, yet fun shooter for mature gamers only.

Adult Written byJoe P. July 2, 2017

Parents and anti-gamers overexaggerate violence once again

As long as your kid doesn't go around killing everyone, then what exactly is the problem. This is a great game with great graphics and its fun as heck to play. Honestly, I think everyone who wants to play this game really should. My kid who is 12 loves it. And i think your 12 and up year old will too.

Adult Written byRobert J. September 14, 2020

I HONESTLY HAVE NO WORDS FOR THIS GAME OTHER THAN, DON'T GET IT FOR CHILDREN!

I am a professional PEGI Reviewer. I do not want to get into detail about this game due to how gratuitous the violence is. This game is more over the top than mortal kombat 11. Do not let this stop your teenager from getting doom eternal because I gave it a 14+ due to its more light, comical, and more vibrant looks. Language is not present in the game despite commonsense giving it a 5/5. In my opinion, violence is a straight 10/10. If you have read my reviews, you know how horrific that can be. If this game was a movie it would be [banned] in the UK and by American Standards, NC-17.(This is the only rating above R)

Adult Written byDanTheMan1234 March 20, 2020

Great game! Can get intense though.

This game has the same gameplay mechanics as other games of the franchise and uses these to great effect. In this game you play as the “Slayer” who is tasked with cleansing earth of the demons from hell who have taken control. It is a very high impact and quite violent first person shooter that moves fluidly and has a great sense of progression. Another thing that I would like to lightly touch on is the sound track. Now I personally am really in to heavy metal music and to me this original soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard. This doesn’t matter all that much in the review but it is definitely something that should be brought up.

The Doom series is known for its gore and this game doesn’t stray away from that aspect in the slightest. You have many different weapons such as a shotgun, chainsaw, your fists and your boots. The game gives you an option to perform what’s called “glory kills“ which are just different animations for killing these demons that are quite gory but are only shown for a short amount of time and if wanted can be avoided as a whole. If you do play using glory kills though they can be anything from dismemberment to decapitation. These demons have very little resemblance to anything human-like.

Although it may seem like this game is all about destroying demons, there is a large amount of puzzle solving involved in the game as well. These puzzles can be challenging but I wouldn’t say they are to difficult for anyone upwards of the age of 12. Now this is not to say that if you are 12 the game is suitable for you. There is still a large amount of high intensity violence that comes with it.

Overall, this is a great game that has a lot to do within it. From the puzzles to the punishing of these hell demons there isn’t much to fault within it. My personal recommendation is 15+ but it really matters about how mature you child is and how you think they would handle things such as gore and violence.
Adult Written bythe slayer March 23, 2021

its DOOM

who wouldent love this my 10 year old loves this game and so do i. yes it is gory and voilent but it is unrealistic and why tf does is say strong langwuge it has none

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byBlueFlame414 July 11, 2018

Bloody but a goody!

This game legit has no swearing in it! It surprised me as I played. They do say “hell” but only in the context of actual hell as a place. The reason I said 14+ Is because of the bloodiness. Honestly I would rate as low as 10+ due to the fact that it is about how much you or your child can handle as far as gore goes. I have no problem with it. As far as morals go, you are killing demons so as a Christian, I say go right ahead! You don’t kill any innocent people or animals so don’t worry about it. And you don’t kill anything that looks even close to human so you are all good. I wouldn’t rate the game “reverent” but I would rate it “morally violent”. But it is your choice to play or not.

Adult Written byBettyboobs1 November 4, 2020

Alright I’m 10 Was suppost to go in kids BUT READ THIS

Alright So say I’m crazy but age does not matter, I am 10 years of age and my parents let me get this. But this game is pretty violent. But it really depends on how mature. Cause a lot of kids my age can’t handle it. And in this game you can do a lot of violent stuff but it’s on saving earth. And if your a Christian go ahead! Just if your kids go around Repeating the moves TALK TO THEM. BE WARNED

Adult Written byThesePeopleNeed... September 14, 2019

DOOM is an excellent game.

Doom has to be one of the best games to come out in ages, it's got the goods: guns, gore, metal, and giant demons! If your kid can handle blood and guts, I'm sure they'll love this title

Adult Written bymagicguy August 7, 2018

Can be violent

Violence can sometimes be over the to but is not that realistic

Adult Written byWarnado October 17, 2017

Doom is the BEST GAME i have ever played

Doom is a great fast-paced sci-fi shooting game starring the DOOM marine who is sent to Hell to stop demons from invading earth.

Adult Written byJason F. January 23, 2017

DOOM 2016 - Adults only but with teachable moments

DOOM is a very violent game. That being said, the game does include positive and teachable lessons on good and evil.

The main hero, though silent, is a positive role model. He is defined by two things as demonstrated by his actions:

1. His respect for and value of human life
2. His abject hatred of evil.

DOOM's enemies are all demons from Hell, or possessed by demons. Demons are a clearly inhuman evil force; the main character's hatred of them, although extremely violent, is at its core a hatred of evil. Demons are not people; they are embodiments of evil, free of any and all humanity or human goodness. As such, DOOM's message comes across, if properly taught, as a message of destroying evil by any means necessary. DOOM can teach courage and resolve, and, if framed properly, a message of hating evil but NOT of hating human beings who perpetrate it.

DOOMguy demonstrates his clear moral lines by:

1. Destroying argent energy production, the limitless energy supply gleaned by exploiting Hell.. Nothing material in this world is so valuable as human life and decency, and so his deliberate decision to refuse to allow the ends to justify the means sets him apart from other characters in the game like Samuel Hayden.

2. His respect for all life that has any humanity; demonstrated by his willingness to work with Samuel Hayden in spite of their differences rather than simply killing Hayden, and his decision to save VEGA (an artificial intelligence) due to VEGA's apparent humanity, showcased by the AI's willingness to sacrifice itself for the good of humanity and it's borderline human sentience and intelligence.

3. His complete and utter intolerance of evil in all of its forms. His hatred of demons is fueled by their total lack of human compassion (or any sense of humanity for that matter).

DOOMguy is incorruptible; he provides perhaps the very best portrait of a true soldier. Hating the evil, not the person, and fighting with constant courage and resolve in the face of overwhelming odds and unspeakable evil. The game's horrors serve as a reminder of what you're up against, and DOOMguy's resilience and "never-give-up" attitude show what one decent human being can accomplish so long as they never allow their fear or own shortcomings to define them.

I STRONGLY recommend parental guidance if you allow a minor to play this game. The game is rated M, and appropriately so, for violence. That being said, if your family or children have a strong sense of right and wrong and basic human empathy, DOOM holds within it a powerful lesson. That even if it seems like all of the universe is against you, and even if you face the most unspeakable of evils, you may overcome all obstacles as long as you remain courageous, resolute, and incorruptible like DOOMguy himself. The game's message of hatred being a good tool when limited ONLY to hatred of evil and not other human beings is a strong one in the same vein as Christian Author C.S. Lewis's writings in his novel, Perelandra.

DOOMguy himself is the only positive role model. VEGA obeys Hayden unquestioningly, but both are devoted to the good of humanity, even if Hayden has fallen off the right path in his pursuit of greater scientific knowledge and technology. Olivia Pierce, the primary antagonist, has entered a contract with the demons of hell in pursuit of her own selfish ends, and in the end literally becomes a hideous, demonic monstrosity that reflects the evil in her own soul. DOOMguy then kills her demonic form in the final battle. At no point in the game does the protagonist harm any character with any shred of humanity left.

DOOM is a greatly misunderstood game due to its extremely violent content, but at its core, it offers good moral messages on the nature of good and evil, where to draw lines between hating the person and hating only their evil deeds, and perseverance in the face of mortal and psychological horror.

If you trust your children and your own guidance, I can recommend this game for older teens as well as adults.

But overall, given the game's extremely violent content, I must advise prudence and parental guidance.

Happy hunting!

Parent Written byAlex N. September 5, 2016

Doom

Definitely not a "Kid's Game", but whadda ya expect from a game called DOOM? A walk in the park? Nope. This game embodies everything that made the first 1993 Doom so great: Hellish enemies, Beautiful ultra-violence, Epic music, great weapons, and a silent Hero not afraid to rip off a few Heads. Parents: if you don't see what I mean, watch a Gameplay trailer, or one of Markiplier's videos on the Game. You will not be disappointed.

Adult Written byTypicaltrustygamer June 19, 2016

Of course its mature....its DOOM.

Whats else would you expect from the remake of DOOM, a game about killing demons in hell? For a group called "common sense media", there really isnt much common sense to go around. If you need to look up a review of any game called DOOM, well you wouldnt be doing that, because thats stupid, since doom is one one of the better known games in exsistence. Cmon guys!!

Adult Written bySnowmanDan January 9, 2022

One the best FPS I've played

If your kids have a strong sense of fiction vs. reality then there's not much reason to say no here. If it were purely violence vs the demonic enemies I'd even agree with the people labeling it as 13+ or Teen. I can't think of any actual profanity, although there might be 1 or 2 instances in the entire playthrough where you'd encounter it. There's some pretty disturbing moments if you have any sense of connection with the story though. There's some dead bodies strewn about, and human blood spattered about the backgrounds of some environments, which isn't in your face enough to be considered particularly horror-like. No dead faces shown though. There's a dismembered hand you have to make use of in order to pass a bio-metric lock in the game. I think it's definitely one of the most disturbing moments psychologically, but it is also played out in an almost cartoony over the top portrayal as much of the violence is, so it doesn't really strike me as requiring 17+ or Adult level of maturity to experience. If your 15 year old can't handle what in the game, then they're probably being sheltered to an unhealthy extent in my opinion.

I'd say, hard no to anyone under 10 and definitely not recommended for under 13, even if they're mature. 10 and under I'd say it's best they don't play or watch others play even.

As for the gameplay, it's extremely well done, fast paced action. There's some extra light puzzling/platforming going on to keep things interesting. The weapon upgrades keep things exciting and the story... gets the job done. The story is uninstrusive in a good way here. Gameplay is number one, and the game doesn't try to explain away why game elements are part of the game or pretend to be portraying any level of realism.
It's a clear cut morality for the in-game protagonist too, there's evil that wants to take advantage of humanity for the sake of evil and humans trying to take advantage of evil for humanity. You'll accept neither and head to wipe out what's clearly evil, and end humanity's attempt to try to use evil for good. If you were super into it there's lots to read and get into, it's not incredibly compelling or mind-blowing but it's good.

Adult Written bylogan p. January 6, 2022

Great for my kids

this is great for kids 4 and under! and older kids too! i love it sometimes the whole family plays it grandma loves it to! Get it for your kids! you wont regret get it for kids with anger issues its going to help them so much!

Adult Written bythisguyissooooo... December 21, 2021

WOW

Guys why are you so fucking dumb its T for TEENS you dumbasses
Adult Written byIamPAlblarttmall July 5, 2021

Great Christian Game for All Ages

Doom is a family game where you play as a silent character (Does not have a race or gender) you use the power of Christ to remove demons.

Adult Written bybillnyesci June 23, 2021

amazing game, graphic

it’s an amazing game with a deep story and an addicting combat system. obviously, the game is graphic. what did you expect? I would recommend it for 12 y/o who have already been exposed to violence in games, then just 13+
highly recommend!

Adult Written bymiekuah May 27, 2021

Violent video game teachs the concept of good guys and bad guys

This one is ok. It took religious reference where satanic entities must be given the absolute, undeniable hate.

Gameplay is arguably ruthless as the MC has the ability to Rip and Tear to regain HP and there are no passive regeneration mechanics.

Adult Written byHarold Brown March 16, 2021

Non gamers exaggerate again

I personally think that this game is for mature kids. The original Doom was one of my very first games I’ve ever played, so maybe this could be your kids introduction too gaming.

Adult Written byannika I. September 1, 2020

Amazing game

Common sense... The game is gory, but, BUT. Little known secret... IT'S DOOM, OF COURSE IT'S VIOLENT. If you have played any doom game or just looked at the F**KING TITLE, you would know that. (Really, the people looking for these reviews are parents, not idiots) but now, onto the actual game. Glory kills are amazingly satisfying. Maybe I'm just deaf, but I heard no swearing during my play through. I, being me, and therefore an idiot, believe that no game is ever 18+ so... it's 16+. By the way, it is a great role model for children. It tells them exactly what to do when they meet a heretic (this is a joke to you sjws out there). But yeah, great game, 10/10 would recommend.