Parent reviews for EVE Online

Fly starships and destroy enemies in online space game.

Adult Written byFather_Biscuit November 23, 2019

A double edged sword

EVE online is a very wholesome game, I love that my 14 year old son enjoys intergalactic economies and asteroid mining instead of meaningless shooting and bloodshed like most of his peers.
A common misconception is that once a person starts to play they will play only EVE, think about only EVE, and speak about only EVE. Thats simply not true. I've played EVE for about 9 years, and typically only play 3-4 hours every week.
EVE is just like every other game out there, it doesn't DEMAND that you pour countless hours, as a matter of fact it requires you to let things sit for hours even days . There are people addicted to this game, yes, but you'll find that in any video game.
Hope I was able to help.

Adult Written byjorvis June 15, 2018

Amazing learning and social opportunity if parents are engaged

We are responsible (and often over-protective) parents to our four kids. Ours don't play first-person shooters, etc. Reading the other adult reviews of Eve Online on here would probably sway me to not let them play it either. I happened to have played this game over 10 years and it has given me a pretty solid perspective of its pros and cons. In many cases, its pros could also be its cons depending on the player.

First, the game is probably too complex to play or even interest anyone under 12. There is a lot of hierarchical dependency tracking in order to build and use different things and ships which would probably get frustrating before that age to try to follow. This is also one of the best things about the game. Most that my kids play provide no sense of real accomplishment or loss, along with all the lessons involved in both. In Eve though it can take weeks, months or even years to train and get resources for different levels of ships and equipment. When you enter a battle in your ship, losing it means LOSING IT. You don't reset afterwards back in that ship to try again. This can provide real drama, anxiety and excitement because the player actually has something at stake if they take a risk.

This is a great area for parents to come in and talk with their kids about this stuff in a way that's fun for them. They learn to guide their decisions based on whether it's worth possibly losing that shiny new ship they've worked weeks for. The parents need to be there for the emotional backing if things are lost as well.

It's also not all about battles with other real players. The game has many different tracks players can go on including exploration, mining asteroids for minerals, and running missions against computer-generated bad guys. The game area is HUGE, with hundreds of star systems, and divided into high and low security space.

The main risk of the game is in the chat channels. In the corner of your display is a small chat window, which allows for chatting with other players. There is always a 'local' channel where players that are all in the same system can talk with each other, but it's common to also have a chat tab open with people in your corporation. Here, a 'corp' is equivalent to a clan you've decided to join. These can be 4 or 5 friends who also play or larger ones with 100s of players that are well-organized. Here parents need to be involved. You can only be in one corporation and it takes a series of steps to change it, so parents should be involved in choosing which (and if) their kid joins a corp to see what the other players are like. This is no different than controlling what sort of people your kids are around in every day life. This should absolutely not deter you from letting them play - over the years this has given me great friends all across the globe. We now chat about our family lives, swap parenting stories, mail books to each other and grab lunch if we're ever in the same cities.

Like so many things with kids, Eve is a great thing for them to play with engaged parents. If you're the sort whose kid has a computer in their room and can play for hours/days alone and with no supervision, it's probably not a good idea.

Adult Written bymarc-antoineg February 26, 2015

I'm an EVE player

I'm an EVE player Been playing for a year an a half... For those who got basic knowledge of that game universe, I've traveled to Nullsec, spent a year in a wormhole, sent an alt to see the ruins of the EVEgate, flew stealth bombers, participated in combat in fleet of more than 10 players vs even bigger fleets, and more...

This game has A LOT of issues, and CCP, the company, simply does not want to fix them, because of internal politics involving the group of players who turns out to have the most monthly subscription. First of all, this game requires your ingame character to learn skills to operate ships, modules, and such. Those skills can take WEEKS and MONTHS and even a YEAR in real life to train to a decent level. Worst, if you want to make any decent accomplishment in that game, you need to invest many hours EACH DAYS. This isnt the kinds of game you'll play for half a hour and they get back to whatever you do in real life. Most people I know ingame spend six hours and more, and they barely make a living ingame... Even worst, the ingame bullying is omnipresent, and, once you leave your "rookie system" (the place where you start and get basic tutorial and such), you have no real protection and CCP is closed minded on helping players who fall victims of various in game scams and exploits outside "rookie system"... And, most players making a decent living in game are the ones using unofficial add-ons and mods (read: cheats), so it's a prime exemple of "Crime pays".

Regarding moral values... Well, EVE got a complete universe in it, including EVERYTHING in real life... The Amarr are slave runners, and you will actually get to enslave innocent cilivials. Pirates do stuff pirates do in real life: traffic drugs, hold brothels, old style gladiator combat and such... Those are themes you will encounter, and though most are not graphically reprensented, they are aborded and omnipresent...

So, unless you want to be the proud parent of a bully, avoid this game... I wouldnt even recommend it to an adult, but for various other reasons...

Besides, I'd also like to point out that the montly subscribtion, after over a year, turns out to be a lot of money, and you have to add to this A LOT of purchassing assets on CCP website with real money (Aurum and PLEX) to sell them in game in order to have a capital...

Adult Written byJohn Doe May 31, 2014

Not as bad as portrayed

The notion that CCP encourages "cyber bullying" is outrageous. While the rules may be practically nonexistent, that does not mean that things are complete anarchy. In actuality, things can be quite structured and stable within the game, depending on who you play with. If you can't handle a ganker or people being "horrible" to you in an online game, that's something that your therapist would want and need to hear, not CCP. The game opens up many opportunities to interact with people from all over the world, thus reducing cultural ignorance and stereotypes. That being said, the majority of people who play this game are 27 or older, so it might be somewhat awkward for people under the age of 16 or so.
Adult Written bytorturedbythecia July 18, 2013

Not for Teens under any Circumstances

I've been a long time gamer. Whereas, face value, this has a well earned "T for Teen" as it is mild in sex, violence, drugs, etc., the rules of the game, being non-existent, encourage players to be terrible to one another.

For those worried about "consumerism," this is not the game to allow youth to play, because it involves nothing but. There are not really NPC missions to pursue of any substance, other than attacking a few pirate ships. The main part of the game is gaining large fleets and taking on other fleets.

What is of most concern for parents is the behavior between players encouraged by CCP, the games parent company. CCP freely has created an environment where gang warfare, extortion, harassment, spying, theft, stalking, and manipulation of other players is not only freely allowed, but is actively encouraged. Added to this, new players may find that one poorly composed sentence may make other players believe that you are some other player who has committed some heinous in game crime, like the theft of $16000 worth of merchandise from a corp or otherwise.

Privacy is of utmost importance, as all corporations demand access to other players' wallets and transaction histories to see if that player is a spy for another group. As CCP allows scamming, this can make your child a target for scams or theft due to the fact that CCP openly streams to third party software any information which a player provides. And, given that all corporations you join require you to give them an access code to your "online API" which allows them to view your wallet and market transactions, your child's in-game financial situation will be available for any player who wants to see it, regardless of his personal ethos regarding theft and con-artistry.

The game is good for those who like openly hostile environments and spy games, but if you're not entering the game with a large group of people you know, it is unlikely that anyone will trust you and everyone will be suspicious of you. I bought a six month subscription, thinking the game was extremely fun and complex after several days on trial. I played for about three weeks before I finally decided I didn't want to spend money on hanging out with some of the worst people the internet has to offer.

CCP takes a very low look at harassment, for example, when the heads of one of the major alliances publicly gave out chat logs of a player who had admitted he was suicidal, gave out the player's name, and then encouraged other players to continue to destroy his ship as much as possible:

CCP gave him a 30 day suspension. Whereas I believe with the particular player, being extremely high profile, this was probably acceptable as he learned how swiftly he can get punished and he payed the harassed player an inordinate amount of cash, it is one of the many examples as to why this game is not for teens.

It should always be known that all in game money has an out of game component, game time may be purchased from CCP and sold in game for in-game money.

One of the biggest heists of other players' stuff has amounted to $16,000. Several players infiltrated a players' corp, lured her to a remote region of space in her most expensive ship. They subsequently attacked and destroyed her ship and then stole everything from the corporation, a grand total of $16,000 worth of in-game items and money.

These are just a few examples how singular players will be and can be massively victimized by groups engaging in massively unethical behavior at any moment.

Please Google "Eve Online Suicidal Player" before deciding if you want your teen learning real life criminal and gang harassment skills and practicing them on real people.

Adult Written byOldManJoe November 26, 2019

An open video game.

Im an EVE veteran and have played actively for about 7 years. Throughout all of this, ive gotten a pretty good idea of the game and hope that I can help as much as possible.

I have two kids a boy (14) and a girl (17), my daugher never really picked up the game but my son recently gave up his Fortnite craze and started to play a "big boy game" with his Pops. Let me tell you that I heavily monitor my childrens internet use. My son can't play Call of Duty or any game with excessive violence.
EVE is not a game parents should be worried about. It's wholesome and teached the value of common sense and thinking things through. You work for the things you have in this game,and if you make a dumb mistake, you can lose it. But as far as the game being bad? Totally clean, some parents may not like the idea that you have the option to blow up other players ships. Do keep in mind though that it is actually impossible to "kill" in this game. Blowing up their ship leaves them in an emergency pod which the defeated player must navigate to a nearby space station and pick up a new ship.

I recently talked to a parent about this game. My son told her son about it and wanted to start playing it, the mother watched some Youtube video about the "Fountain War" which is a real in-game war that happened in the game involving hundreds of players, and the "Judgement Day Heist". These involve players that spend countless months, even years, planning some sort of heist or attack. While these things are possible, they are extremely rare and are by no means the "point" of the game. The game revolves around farming money, and buying ships.
While every decision is left up to the parent in the end, this parent happily plays EVE with his son before he goes to bed, and love that hes picked up such a great game.

Adult Written bydesius March 27, 2019

The most unethical game I have ever played.

I have over 10 years experience in playing MMOs (massively multiplayer online games), and this game is by far the worst one I have played. There are a lot of cool aspects about the game, namely focused around exploration. However, this game is primarily a PvP game. As a generalization, PvP tends to produce more negative in-game interactions than PvE focused games. Children may not care about this, but parents should. What I feel makes Eve Online particularly bad, is that the game design is absolutely terrible with regards to most new players. Most MMOs frown upon camping other players in PvP. What Eve Online players call "ganking" is actually camping. Ganking in other games, usually involves killing a lower level player and then moving on. Leaving the defeated player alone after one kill. Eve Online (company name is CCP and is owned by a Korean parent company) has decided that gate camps and station camps are good places for PvP to occur. As an example, you come out of a gate (load screen) to find someone in a carrier (which takes over a year to obtain) and you get complete blown up. You lose your ship and any time or money you have invested in that ship. New players can do nothing to compete one vs. one, and are forced to join corporations. On top of this, players are continually trying to scam or rip off other players. And, young players would not only be prime targets but will also be learning very personally destructive lessons, in-game. In the end, bad game design coupled with bad game ethics means that this is one game to avoid.
Adult Written byzackis September 24, 2015

Long time Adult player

As a long time player I believe that this game could be acceptable for thos 16 and up. Many people experience poor gamesmanship and poor attitudes however this is not always the case. The group of people that the young person ( or adult) plays with is key. Having run several Organizations within this game I can verify that many simply wont accept those under 18 but those that do generally are not evil, mean or even downright nasty. The anonymity of the internet culture can get people to act poorly but there are good people out there who could make this game fun for those 16 and up in age. It is NOT for everyone

Parent of a 3-year-old Written byMcGamer August 4, 2013

CCP encourages online bullying and player harassment

CCP, the developers of EVE Online have a history of encouraging online bullying and harassment tactics by their players. The game in itself has promise of a great game, except the community is largely populated with perverse, rude, sexist, racist, and hate mongering language in any chat channel.

In the recent expansion, CCP went so far to even make changes to the 'Bounty System' to allow players to freely place bounties by players on other players with total freedom over mere words and no actions if they choose to. This results in extended harassment by other players against players who normally do not seek such player versus player content or are new in general to the game. I have played EVE Online for over 10 years and was even in the beta for reference as to how well I know the game. I am part of a small minority of players who avoid anarchistic ideals in the game. Especially since these new bounty changes are only recent. Unfortunately, despite efforts to make CCP aware of the exploited use of the bounty system, such comments on their forums are met with literal hate and contempt by players and CSMs alike.