All parent member reviews for Fire Emblem: Awakening

Adult Written bySynchronicity February 9, 2013

The game worth buying a 3DS for, especially if you like strategy games; rated Teen for a reason, but older tweens are fine.

Ah, Fire Emblem. A fairly popular strategy series in the West, this gem of a series became quite popular after characters Marth and Roy made their debuts in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Ten years after Blazing Sword became the first game to hit US shores, all but one of the subsequent installments in the series have made it over here, and Fire Emblem: Awakening was announced at the very last minute. But here it is. And it's, for all intents and purposes, the best 3DS game out there at the moment, worth every darned penny of your $40. The gameplay is fairly simple but extremely challenging, but there are plenty of new features that will leave fans glued to their 3DSes. For the uninitiated, you move your units on a tiled battlefield and kill the units on the opposing side with attacks. However, there's plenty more to it than that. Some weapons are more useful against other weapons, and there are plenty of different character classes you encounter. There is also a lot of RPG level progression, such as gaining experience points, units befriending each other, and - most controversially - the "permadeath" mechanism. A hallmark of the series, it can be turned off for the first time in Awakening if you play "Normal," but in harder difficulties, if your units die, they're gone. And what makes this even more grueling is that you get extremely attached to these characters over time, and to see them die is definitely nerve-wracking. I've had to reset my game dozens of times because I saw a unit die, and it actually helps with the strategy aspect. It makes you think things through much more the second, third or even fourth time around. Still, I wouldn't recommend that anyone below the older tween age play this game, but for other reasons as well. The language can get a little rough, with fallen enemies sometimes yelling "D*mn!" loudly, and "p*ss off," "*ss" and "hell" occur every so often. There are a few mildly sexual comments, the most explicit being a character's mention of "a fire in (his) loins," and in a new mechanic, you can marry your characters together. There's also a bit of alcohol use, though that's pretty normal for RPGs like this one. But the violence is a biggie, and the series is normally rated E to E10+ over here, except for the GameCube's Path of Radiance. That was an overrating, in my book, because the violence was not very graphic. Not so in Awakening, which was also rated as such by the usually more lenient Japanese ratings board. The cutscenes are fairly graphic at times, despite the lack of blood, with a few impalements and (slight spoiler) a character jumping off a cliff. Other than those major instances, this could have gotten away with an E10+, as most of the violence is played out in cartoon FMVs that just show units duking it out with weapons or magic. It's not too bad, but could still scare younger children and tweens. The 3DS' innovative Streetpass and Spotpass modes also feature, and now that you can create your own avatar for Fire Emblem, it can lead to some pretty cool battles against your friends - and a few privacy concerns as well. You can also download map packs to the system, 25 in all (2 have come out at the time of this writing, and are coming out weekly), so there will be plenty of clamoring after the game is over. You also get new Streetpass units sometimes. Be prepared to buy a bigger SD card! But even so, this is one of Nintendo's best games in years, and will quickly become a 3DS system seller. Lots of polish all around, an amazing soundtrack and localization, and very addictive gameplay make Fire Emblem: Awakening THE game to buy for your 3DS if you're over...about 10 years old, I think.
Adult Written bybird3713 July 26, 2013

Addicting handheld strategy game

As noted above, there is a little bit of language in the game, so keep young children away if you are sensitive to that. The violence in the game is very cartoony and there is no gore. The game itself is very good and provides many heroes and different characters for kids to admire and relate to. The review mentions the death of characters- it should be noted that there are two game modes: one where characters are merely knocked out and return in future battles, and one where characters permanently die. If you're worried about your child becoming upset over the death of a character, have them play on the first setting (SPOILERS: one main character DOES die, regardless of your actions). Also, if you do play the game with permanent death, you can restart a level in order to try it again without having characters die.
Adult Written byCorey Evans June 29, 2015

Big Fire Emblem Fan

I'm in my twenties and I've always loved the Fire Emblem games. This one is no different. It's storyline is great and unusual, and the characters are to die for. I don't think it's really the best for kids though. It has a function where you can marry characters and there's some sexual content. Also there's some strong language and violence. But, personally, I adore this game.
Adult Written byCartoonReview11 July 8, 2015

I think this is great.

This game sports a very realistic fantasy world, combining strategy and story in a perfect blend. This is a must-own game for those who enjoy strategy. And with the hard mode (permanent death), this is a very difficult game. PS: The art is wonderful.
Adult Written byParranormalHour November 15, 2014
I love Fire Emblem games, they are always challenging and have great plots. This one was no exception. I put the age at 11 because it is very strategy heavy and can get very frustrating if you keep losing characters. Quick tip: to make sure your characters don't die, before a battle save at the beginning and never save on the individual turns of a battle. Then restart the software if a character dies in battle. You can then improve on what you did wrong that lead to that characters death, such as give them better weapons, use tonics and ect.