Parent reviews for Fortnite

Battle it out or use strategy in fantastic action game.

Parent Written byBenjamin Wolfe W. February 25, 2018

Gun Violence Sugar-coated

I read 40 reviews by other parents and kids, some who think this game is okay for kids as young as 6 years old. Most reviews say something like, it's not THAT bad... In a day and age where we are fighting gun violence and insane kids who have no feeling for human life, why would we allow this? Okay, there's no blood or gore. It's a little cartooney. But I sat there and watched my son shoot his friends, axe other players to death, and kill other anonymous players hiding under things and crouching in corners. Many said there were no knives, but I don't know if this is true. There are multiple kinds of weapons and tools meant to tear down roofs, walls, and blow up things. You can use these instruments on you opponents. I get flashbacks to school and gang violence that we hear and see on the News almost every day....and then say, "this game is great! It's not that bad. It's fun, there's nothing wrong with this. I think 9 years olds and 8 year old can play." Honestly, I'm ashamed of the other parents. The smartest review was submitted by a thoughtful 13-year old that said it wasn't appropriate for young kids. A 13-year old that recognized that shooting other average people isn't the best "entertainment" our kids should be engaged. He was the wisest one out of all reviews. I think the normal mode fighting zombies in groups of four friends is fine for 14+. But Battle Royale, where you shoot your friends and strangers up to 100 players should be MATURE only. It sends a message. It's responsible. It's called parenting and raising your kids with values and caring about what they see, hear, and do. And I think a lot of parents have no idea what their kids are playing....Not to mention the game is marketed in free downloads. Shame on them.

Adult Written bykevin b. February 26, 2018

This game is about killing other humans not monsters!

My wife and I were concerned about letting our 8 and 11 year old sons play the game so we consulted with this website which essentially stated that Fortnite develops strategic thinking while your kids kill "monsters." Based, in large part, on this review we allowed our sons to play the game with several of their 8-11 year old friends. When I actually watched my sons play the game, I was shocked to learn that the "monsters" were not monsters at all but human avatars of other players simultaneously playing the game. So, contrary to what this website stated, the game did not involve killing "monsters", but rather involved killing human beings albeit in a fantasy setting. So, bottom line, if you are a parent considering allowing your children to play this game you need to understand that it involves killing humans, not monsters, and involves the use of military and automatic-type weapons. In my opinion as a former Army officer, hunter and gun owner, this game trivializes killing human beings, normalizes violent gun use, including AR 15 type weapons, and otherwise desensitizes children to violence.
Parent Written byTaegan Brown B. January 6, 2018

Almost fine

I think that the game is for young kids just because the violence is very cartoony. I'd recommend not getting it if you think guns are bad but that's it.
Adult Written byJohn W. March 3, 2018

Amazing Game!

Alright parents, some of these reviews absoulutely amaze me. People talking about how guns are the "devil" and the sole purpose of the game being try to be the last one standing makes it appropriate only for adults??!! You have got to be kidding me! First of all, the folks at ESRB, which I suppose none of these parents have heard of gave Fortnite a T for Teen, meaning no, it is not for adults. The ignorance being demonstrated by some parents absolutely astonished me. I would like to say that my son adores playing this game, sometimes with friends, on his PS4. I too understand why, having it be a 100 player battle royale. He has always wanted to play a video game like Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games and he now has an opportunity to play something like it. There are options to spend real world money on cosmetics or a "battle pass" which also rewards cosmetics, but unlike what an other critic stated, you don't have to pay to progress, and paying in no way affects gameplay, only looks. The violence in this game is absolutely minimal! Not a single drop of blood is ever shed, when players are killed they simply vanish. The realism is next to zero, and building mechanics similar to Minecraft add a fun twist to this already classic Video Game title. All in all, the over exaggeration of parents is what is keeping you from letting your kids play, just trust me on this one, this one has hours of fun packed into it and I really hope you allow your kids to play. I really hope my review played a part in deciding whether to let your kids play. Thanks. -John

Adult Written byMason M. November 10, 2017

It’s a pretty good game not to much to be concerned about, only guns no blood or knifes. 5 stars.

Adult Written bylandsurveyort January 31, 2018

I think reviews are gamed by teens.

This game has become all the talk amongst teen boys. But their conversations are concerning. Discussion typically revolve around favorite weapons (assault rifles, shotguns, revolvers, etc) and how exciting it is to get a "headshot". These discussions amongst peers are very disturbing. The idea that the point of the game is to "survive" is marketing/kids conning their parents about the non-violence of this game. To survive, you are responsible for killing all the other players -- or having all the other players kill one another. This is worse than that story, "The Most Dangerous Game" where the protagonist is being hunted. The fact that it is player vs. player gun violence is reason to think strongly about banning this game from your home.

Adult Written byKelly F. February 6, 2018

Not appropriate

Regardless if there is no blood the player is still going around shooting zombies and people (battle royale). Also, all the female characters are over sexualized with big boobs, small waist, big butt, and small clothes. I can't believe how many people think just b/c there is no blood it's appropriate. They are being dropped out of helicopters and going into a building and shooting up the place. How is that OK?!

Parent Written bySteve M. February 13, 2018

Harmless fun

It’s a game that does have guns and grenades etc but done in a very cartoonish style with no blood or gore. Building and strategy elements are great and bottom line it’s fun and funny. Just make sure to turn off chat and it’s perfect.

Parent Written byCher A. March 4, 2018

People Wonder Why Children Are Bringing Guns to School

This game is teaching children how to shoot other humans with assault rifles. It is thinly veiled as being “ok” because the killing is animated? Not for my kids.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byJane P. March 2, 2018

Exceptionally Violent Kill Game - NOT for kids!

Parents, you must sit with your child and view the game. You cannot rely on the majority of planted positive reviews on this site, the bulk of which have been submitted by children posing as Adults. This is a KILL GAME with handguns, rifles, automatic weapons/machine guns, hachets, knives, swords, shoulder mount ballistic missile launchers ALL used by game play characters for the purpose of KILLING other characters. Shoot to kill. It's obscene.

Adult Written byHayden C. January 19, 2018

Not real guns and not real people

PARENTS NEED TO KNOW THAT FORTNITE IS A STRATEGIC GAME IN WHICH YOU TRY TO STAY ALIVE... YES THERE ARE GUNS BUT THERE IS NO GORE AND ITS A CARTOON GAME.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bylisainsfo February 2, 2018

Minecraft Meets A Toned-Down Version of Call-Of-Duty

Fortnight has a Minecraft-like creative aspect, as players can build structures. Assault weapon guns are used to hunt people and shoot them dead, but there is no blood. Players are randomly assigned a male or female character. The female characters are over-sexualized with big chests, skin-tight clothes, small waists, and large rear ends. Also, be prepared for $25 in-game purchases (additional weapons, etc.) that your child will beg for.

Adult Written byDark F. September 29, 2017

Amazing ×9000

Adult Written bysamellenwood March 2, 2018

Shot in the head!

Fine, there is no gore, but you can shoot someone in the head. While we are struggling to regulate guns, why would we encourage kids as young as 8 to play games like this?

Parent of a 13 year old Written byArvin T. February 20, 2018

Great game no inappropriate content

This game is family friendly and fun. At first I was hesitant to let my son play this game but now I realize it is completely harmless. The game is a bit complicated but is relatively simple once you get hang of the controls for building and playing. The only reason I say this should be 8 and up is the mild cartoon violence and the difficulty of play. The skills needed to succeed in this game is accuracy, quick thinking, and the ability to accept defeat.

Adult Written byEmma W. February 11, 2018

Tell them no!

So sick of game creator's creating these addictive games that are designed to keep our kids playing forever. Added to the negativity is in-game outrageously expensive purchases and over sexualized woman. Some parents praise the lack of blood- but guess what?! If you shoot somebody, there will be blood. I've let my kids have this but regret it as this us at the moment the number one game that turns my kids into mindless zombies... I am saying no- no more mindless brain damage. Go outside!

Parent of a 13 year old Written byJ. B. March 3, 2018

This is THE game played by 13/14 yr old boys at my kid's school

So this is supposedly the game the tweens and teens are all flocking to right now. I read the other reviews -- harmless fun, cartoonish graphics, great strategy. That might all be true, but parents should know that many of your kids are up all night playing this game. All night, even on school nights. I believe they are doing real time chat via Discord when playing, which is likely how my kid knows his peers were up all night. It's mostly kids who have computers in their rooms and few screen time limitations.
Parent Written byM S March 22, 2018

Shoot realistic assault rifles and handguns at other people? This dad said no.

If you're part of the gun culture, I respect that. This family is not. This game focuses on realistic assault rifles, submachine guns, handguns, and shotguns. A significant part of the Battle Royale is shooting other people dead. See these yourself at http://fortnite.wikia.com/wiki/Weaponry_(Battle_Royale) No amount of cooperative gameplay or strategic thinking justifies the realistic murdering and desensitization of gun violence. What other crimes would be acceptable? I'm not moved by the argument that there's no blood. Would we approve of a bloodless game of otherwise realistic puppy stabbing? Any other felonies we should desensitize for the sake of entertaining our kids? #dadsaidno

Adult Written byhavards January 27, 2018
Adult Written byAlan Y. February 28, 2018

Fortnite

After spending hours playing in Fortnite’s free to play battle royale mode, I realized this cartoonish type game has a very interesting design to it. As you explore this unique map, you can see bright green grass and unique characters from dark knights, angry gingerbread men, and happy elves fighting against each other trying to get to victory royale. While on your way trying to survive, to get to victory royale, you may also encounter lots of old bases from people fighting and lots of loot from people that died. Fortnite is a game that people who loves PVP(Player Vs Player) type games would really enjoy playing, and best of all it is free to play. Since Fortnite’s launch in 2011, it has had lots of mixed review, but the game has gotten much better in design and gameplay. A website known as Metacritic gave this game a rating of 74%. Most of the critics think that the free to play aspect of this game is the most interesting part of Fortnite. For people that don’t make a lot of money, this game offers a free to play mode battle royale. As a gamer myself, I have spent lots of money on video games that cost from $60 to $70 depending on what game it is. Based on Fortnite’s free to play battle royale mode, I would rate this game 90 out of 100. Fortnite makes you have a big adrenaline rush when you and someone who is really skilled like the black knight is up against each other to progress to the victory royale. Lots of things are going through your mind as you figure out a way to defeat him. You could take him out with stealth or you can rush and take him out with a rocket launcher or a shotgun. Fortnite has lots of action, and there are many things it offers you to make your gaming experience worthwhile, and really interesting. Another fun aspect about Fortnite is that it allows you to build, unlike other battle royale games like H1Z1 and PUBG. Fortnite’s building feature offers many things that you are able to do like building bases, bridges, stairs, also using it’s building feature to rush another team or player. This cartoonish game like this can be played by anyone of any age, also many parents likes this game because it’s not graphic like all of the other battle royale games are. Some people might think this game is not as good as everyone else thinks, but this game offers many things like a free mode battle royale that is really fun to play,06 so I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys battle royale games.