Parent reviews for Fortnite

Battle it out or use strategy in fantastic action game.

Parent Written byTaegan Brown B. January 6, 2018

Almost fine

I think that the game is for young kids just because the violence is very cartoony. I'd recommend not getting it if you think guns are bad but that's it.
Parent Written byOn Angels W. April 7, 2018

Its a Good Game But Needs Moderating By The Parent

I am A Parent and I am Also a gamer, so this will not be a biased review,

Yes the game is good, its cartoony and not too violent, This game comes from the same company who brought you unrealt tournament a game notorious for turning your opponent into red chunk pieces of meat and scattering them all over the map,

They have done well to appeal to an age bracket, i will say 13+ because any child younger than this is going to have a serious rage complex,

To parents, if you dont want to suffer in the future moderate your childs time on the game, Also do some research into making their profile private and also into blocking voice communications if you are afraid of grooming, do not be nieve over this, there is swearing from the voice comms, dont be an idiot, research into protecting your child online, moderate their time on the game, dont use it as a baby sitter.

Do not let your kid rob your bank account for skins on the game its not worth it and they can be earned through loot boxes.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byPhil D. July 6, 2018

Stop the rot

This game is actually really good....but not for kids. Our 10 year old son has been playing this a lot lately, and I have attempted to play also (but got by butt kicked very quickly). We noticed our child's mood was very bad after playing the game. So we got him to start reading a few pages of a book immediately afterwards. Having talked to other parents it appears he is not the only child who is angry after the game and the general global rating is 12-13+. We have talked to our kid and told him he is not playing until he is 12-13.
All his friends still play it and for longer and later in the night than he ever did. Why do we feel like the odd ones out? Hopefully by us blocking our kid playing some of his friends parents might take notice!!!

Parent Written bySteve M. February 13, 2018

Harmless fun

It’s a game that does have guns and grenades etc but done in a very cartoonish style with no blood or gore. Building and strategy elements are great and bottom line it’s fun and funny. Just make sure to turn off chat and it’s perfect.

Adult Written byCarmen A May 15, 2020

Read this review, the game has two different parts, one that is not mention on this website

This game has two different parts, one called save the world, where the world has been overrun by zombies, and you must forge weapons and save the world from the storm. This part has mild violence (shooting a purple stormy like creature, with no blood or gore). It has very little and mild language like every 6-12 hours of gameplay you may hear he-- or da--, but that is it. And now for the battle royale experience. In fortnite battle royale you will join an online battle fighting by yourself in solos, with a partner in duos, and with a squad in squads. You will only hear people who are on your team but you will fight real people. This part has no language, no blood, and characters fade fade into blue particle when eliminated, this part of the game has no drugs and doesn't even say the word kill. You must jump off the battle bus and hunt for weapons to fight for yourself, you must also gather materials to build a base or just protect yourself. A deadly storm will come around forcing all players to move closer together, the goal is to be the last player standing. The game has very cartoony graphics so that is not a concern. But in a squad or duo game, you can talk to online people who are in your squad (optionally). So there you have it, the game is pretty okay overall but to get save the world you must pay, but the battle royale is 100% free other than the cosmetics that improve your characters looks. But this has been an issue with parents for a while, because kids never want to get off of the game and always want to spend money, so I recommend this game but monitor your kids.

Adult Written byJc40475 October 13, 2018

Developers don’t care and refunds don’t exist

I wasted my money buying skins and in game items that I’m not going to get to use anymore because they banned my controller setup from being used and I get kicked out of every single match I join in. So not only am I out money for my gaming mouse, keyboard and Max one shooter but I’m also out all the money I’ve spent on this and don’t get to play anymore. They told me no refunds on anything.

Adult Written byMason M. November 10, 2017

It’s a pretty good game not to much to be concerned about, only guns no blood or knifes. 5 stars.

Adult Written byGgjjwjejd April 6, 2020

Limit your child’s playing time.

Your child will get addicted easily if you don’t limit their time. I say from 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes.
Adult Written byJupiterpete November 25, 2018

Addictive with many in game purchase lures

I would agree with others about the age range - 13-14+ is right in my opinion. The violence is less of an issue for than the constant in-app purchase lures the game uses to suck money out of kids (let’s face it, most of the players are kids). My sons are both showing signs of addiction to it, willing to forgo many other previously enjoyed activities in order to play. They will beg and plead for money for skins (new outfits) that don’t give any play benefits other than being cool with their friends.

The social aspects are the only redeeming feature as my sons do have fun chats with their friends while playing. But the overall “cost” makes me rue the day we let this into our house. We are now strategizing how to get rid of it. My advice, don’t let it in your house. My kids have basically stopped playing all their other games.

Also, the specialization of female characters should have no place in a modern game and certainly not one being played by teens and preteens. You’d think the game designers would grow up and see the society we live in now...

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byArvin T. February 20, 2018

Great game no inappropriate content

This game is family friendly and fun. At first I was hesitant to let my son play this game but now I realize it is completely harmless. The game is a bit complicated but is relatively simple once you get hang of the controls for building and playing. The only reason I say this should be 8 and up is the mild cartoon violence and the difficulty of play. The skills needed to succeed in this game is accuracy, quick thinking, and the ability to accept defeat.

Adult Written byoggy r. November 28, 2017

amzing game

its not that violent

Adult Written byEllis H. March 24, 2018

Actually amazing!

Great game for children maybe 9+. There is violence, but it is cartoon violence, and there is no blood or gore involved! There is nothing wrong about it, and is a great game to play. One quick word of advice, though, it is EXTREMELY addictive.

Adult Written byAmy S. March 22, 2018

Survival stress

My son is 8, loves Fortnite and plays with his friends, even when they're not together which he loves. We reviewed it first, thought it looked alright. Somewhat like Halo or Overwatch but more fun. What we found, though, was he really gets amped up and the game was actually causing him stress. Apparently the fight or flight you feel in real life situations can feel the same in gaming situations. The problem is "coming down" which, for him, has been a real struggle. He's a very calm, mild mannered kid, active in sports, good in school, nice kid but this has just be a little too much survival for his maturity level. We finally uninstalled it. We're hoping to get it back but not until he matures some. Even setting limits of 30 minutes was producing the same result as playing an hour or playing in smaller increments.
Adult Written byAzeus8900 July 17, 2018

Mixed feelings

Fortnite has 2 modes, save the world which is PvE and battle royale which is PvP. But if your child is saying that he or she wants fortnite they most likely mean battle royale. Many parents say they despise the game considering it involves guns,but that’s not what’s effecting the kids. The problem is the game is so addictive. When a kid plays fortnite they get an adrenaline rush and this rush makes them focused. Then it’s time to get off and then they don’t seem to find anything to give them that rush, so it’s all boring until they get back on fortnite. Then again fortnite is a great game for friends to play together and just have fun surviving and winning. So if you don’t like the guns, be glad your child isn’t begging you for a game that’s much worse like GTA or Wolfenstein.
Adult Written byHonestreviews111 September 24, 2019

Pretty Decent

Fortnite is an online game, which is underrated by parents on this website, where in the battle royale part is basically you fight to win.
What are v-bucks?? - v-bucks are an online currency that you buy with real money to get cosmetics. ( Character skins, wraps for guns, pickaxes, etc.)
Is there any blood- No, when someone dies in the game a drone appears and picks up their body, and all their items that they had drop.
Is Fortnite safe?- Yes, and if you dont feel comfortable with voice chat you can turn it off, or disable it by using parental controls.
Can my child report / block people?- Yes, they can report them by going to settings, clicking on report player, and selecting the subject. They can block a player by going to their friends list, click on a name, and click block player.
Yeah i think other parents should do some research before they say that fortnite has blood, gore, way too much violence, and that it is not safe. (some even say it should be banned and that it is terrible how their kids want money for skins and other cosmetics, they do the same on Roblox!)

Adult Written bycatbuspassenger August 21, 2018

It's very well made...but is it psychologically healthy?

My 11 year old nephew loves to play this game, he'll burn consoles for it. It's very addictive and you can battle with people from all over the world, as long as children don't give out ANY contact information. The game though seems to inspire a mischievous or impatient nature. And you're mainly shooting things and I'm concerned whether it's possibly engaging an intoxicating emotional drive that could thrill young ones into an obnoxious or worse violent nature. Thats what i think. It's something to keep an eye on in a child. Also they may want to binge watch the Fortnite Youtubers who tend to swear.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byThel 'Vadam July 17, 2018

Fortnite has two different gamemodes that have similarities, but are very different. Save The World is about the a mysterious storm that resulted in zombie-like monsters to appear. Battle Royale features 100 players dropped into a island, scavenging for weapons and gear while trying to survive by eliminating other players to get first place.

This game by any means does not encourage violent behavior. In fact, any video game does not encourage violence. Those who think so are out of their mind and are simply uneducated. Both Save The World and Battle Royale are indeed fun. Save The World being the more fun in my personal opinion. The only annoying thing in Battle Royale are the people that try their butts off every game. This game has no blood or any actual death animations.

Adult Written byPadraigBoy July 14, 2018

A game which many parents misinterpreted.

Look, this game IS a shooting game, but it is a toned down version. No gore, no cursing. The way many other parents describe this game are stupid. Some parents describe it as “a game where you are going around shooting others with a realistic gun in hope that you win.” Describing it like that makes it seem as if the game is 18+ but it’s not, it’s 12+. To prove my point, let me describe Minecraft (I have nothing wrong with the game but I’m making a point) : You are a person who walks around destroying the environment, slaughtering animals for your own needs and slicing through other players with a sword.

See? Minecraft is a 7+ game yet the way I described it makes it seem like an 18+ game. Also Roblox. In Roblox you play multiple different games. There are horror games, shooting games, slicing games, murder games, and when you are sliced or shot at, your body explodes into several pieces! A great game for kids!

Fortnite’s original game is the “Save the World PVE Campaign” which you have to buy because it’s the original game. Battle Royale is merely just an online version of the game. There was a review that said that there was a €150 version of this game but that isn’t the exact truth. In return for your €150, you get the original €30 game and many in game items along with v-bucks (the currency of the game). If you hadn’t paid €150 and instead paid the normal €30, all those items you didn’t buy will cost extra. The €150 is a deal, NOT a version.

I think that many parents don’t understand the concepts of games so they look to in debt into the game and end up describing it as a game that isn’t for children. Games are not meant to be looked incredibly far into.

So Fortnite is a great game. I respect others opinions but I think they word them differently and try to understand the game more.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byLisa B. March 3, 2018

This is THE game played by 13/14 yr old boys at my kid's school

So this is supposedly the game the tweens and teens are all flocking to right now. I read the other reviews -- harmless fun, cartoonish graphics, great strategy. That might all be true, but parents should know that many of your kids are up all night playing this game. All night, even on school nights. I believe they are doing real time chat via Discord when playing, which is likely how my kid knows his peers were up all night. It's mostly kids who have computers in their rooms and few screen time limitations.
Adult Written bystarfleetjunky September 13, 2020

Addictive

I don't have a problem with Fortnite as a game. What I do have concerns about is the constant, and I mean constant bombardment of new items in the item shop. Every day there's new items, new dances , new this , new that. It's like having a sweatshop in your living room, with all the best sweets in the world and expecting your children not to want to buy them, impossible. This is very clever marketing designed to get children to spend your money. Sure you can play for free and not buy anything, but that's the equivalent of sending your kid to school in a pair of old trainers when all the other kids are wearing Nike, not a concern for me but children can be cruel. Epic games are well aware of this and they don't care. They made 1.8 Billion from you and you children last year, 1.8 Billion. There are plenty other issues with Fortnite. The battle pass, buy one and you have to put in the hours to get your goodies, hours, days weeks of play. Try telling your child it's time to stop playing when they have been trying for the last hour to complete some mission to get a different outfit, Crazy times. Oh and then there's the tournaments, you have to practice all the time to win the tournaments. Win money, like SOME RANDOM KID who's parents obviously don't care if there children's brains get fried. One kid won 1 million, great. But what about all the other kids who spent the same amount of time on the game and won noting. I suppose flipping burgers is a source of income. Take my advice stay away from this game, it's addictive, I'ts made to be addictive and I'ts made to make money...I'ts also killing the Game industry.