Parent reviews for Fortnite

Battle it out or use strategy in fantastic action game.

Parent Written byTaegan Brown B. January 6, 2018

Almost fine

I think that the game is for young kids just because the violence is very cartoony. I'd recommend not getting it if you think guns are bad but that's it.
Adult Written byMason M. November 10, 2017

It’s a pretty good game not to much to be concerned about, only guns no blood or knifes. 5 stars.

Adult Written bylandsurveyort January 31, 2018

I think reviews are gamed by teens.

This game has become all the talk amongst teen boys. But their conversations are concerning. Discussion typically revolve around favorite weapons (assault rifles, shotguns, revolvers, etc) and how exciting it is to get a "headshot". These discussions amongst peers are very disturbing. The idea that the point of the game is to "survive" is marketing/kids conning their parents about the non-violence of this game. To survive, you are responsible for killing all the other players -- or having all the other players kill one another. This is worse than that story, "The Most Dangerous Game" where the protagonist is being hunted. The fact that it is player vs. player gun violence is reason to think strongly about banning this game from your home.

Adult Written byKelly F. February 6, 2018

Not appropriate

Regardless if there is no blood the player is still going around shooting zombies and people (battle royale). Also, all the female characters are over sexualized with big boobs, small waist, big butt, and small clothes. I can't believe how many people think just b/c there is no blood it's appropriate. They are being dropped out of helicopters and going into a building and shooting up the place. How is that OK?!

Parent Written bySteve M. February 13, 2018

Harmless fun

It’s a game that does have guns and grenades etc but done in a very cartoonish style with no blood or gore. Building and strategy elements are great and bottom line it’s fun and funny. Just make sure to turn off chat and it’s perfect.

Parent Written byCher A. March 4, 2018

People Wonder Why Children Are Bringing Guns to School

This game is teaching children how to shoot other humans with assault rifles. It is thinly veiled as being “ok” because the killing is animated? Not for my kids.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bysamellenwood March 2, 2018

Shot in the head!

Fine, there is no gore, but you can shoot someone in the head. While we are struggling to regulate guns, why would we encourage kids as young as 8 to play games like this?

Parent of a 12 year old Written bylisainsfo February 2, 2018

Minecraft Meets A Toned-Down Version of Call-Of-Duty

Fortnight has a Minecraft-like creative aspect, as players can build structures. Assault weapon guns are used to hunt people and shoot them dead, but there is no blood. Players are randomly assigned a male or female character. The female characters are over-sexualized with big chests, skin-tight clothes, small waists, and large rear ends. Also, be prepared for $25 in-game purchases (additional weapons, etc.) that your child will beg for.

Parent Written byM S March 22, 2018

Shoot realistic assault rifles and handguns at other people? This dad said no.

If you're part of the gun culture, I respect that. This family is not. This game focuses on realistic assault rifles, submachine guns, handguns, and shotguns. A significant part of the Battle Royale is shooting other people dead. See these yourself at http://fortnite.wikia.com/wiki/Weaponry_(Battle_Royale) No amount of cooperative gameplay or strategic thinking justifies the realistic murdering and desensitization of gun violence. What other crimes would be acceptable? I'm not moved by the argument that there's no blood. Would we approve of a bloodless game of otherwise realistic puppy stabbing? Any other felonies we should desensitize for the sake of entertaining our kids? #dadsaidno

Adult Written byDark F. September 29, 2017

Amazing ×9000

Adult Written byEmma W. February 11, 2018

Tell them no!

So sick of game creator's creating these addictive games that are designed to keep our kids playing forever. Added to the negativity is in-game outrageously expensive purchases and over sexualized woman. Some parents praise the lack of blood- but guess what?! If you shoot somebody, there will be blood. I've let my kids have this but regret it as this us at the moment the number one game that turns my kids into mindless zombies... I am saying no- no more mindless brain damage. Go outside!

Parent of a 13 year old Written byArvin T. February 20, 2018

Great game no inappropriate content

This game is family friendly and fun. At first I was hesitant to let my son play this game but now I realize it is completely harmless. The game is a bit complicated but is relatively simple once you get hang of the controls for building and playing. The only reason I say this should be 8 and up is the mild cartoon violence and the difficulty of play. The skills needed to succeed in this game is accuracy, quick thinking, and the ability to accept defeat.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byJ. B. March 3, 2018

This is THE game played by 13/14 yr old boys at my kid's school

So this is supposedly the game the tweens and teens are all flocking to right now. I read the other reviews -- harmless fun, cartoonish graphics, great strategy. That might all be true, but parents should know that many of your kids are up all night playing this game. All night, even on school nights. I believe they are doing real time chat via Discord when playing, which is likely how my kid knows his peers were up all night. It's mostly kids who have computers in their rooms and few screen time limitations.
Adult Written byAlan Y. February 28, 2018

Fortnite

After spending hours playing in Fortnite’s free to play battle royale mode, I realized this cartoonish type game has a very interesting design to it. As you explore this unique map, you can see bright green grass and unique characters from dark knights, angry gingerbread men, and happy elves fighting against each other trying to get to victory royale. While on your way trying to survive, to get to victory royale, you may also encounter lots of old bases from people fighting and lots of loot from people that died. Fortnite is a game that people who loves PVP(Player Vs Player) type games would really enjoy playing, and best of all it is free to play. Since Fortnite’s launch in 2011, it has had lots of mixed review, but the game has gotten much better in design and gameplay. A website known as Metacritic gave this game a rating of 74%. Most of the critics think that the free to play aspect of this game is the most interesting part of Fortnite. For people that don’t make a lot of money, this game offers a free to play mode battle royale. As a gamer myself, I have spent lots of money on video games that cost from $60 to $70 depending on what game it is. Based on Fortnite’s free to play battle royale mode, I would rate this game 90 out of 100. Fortnite makes you have a big adrenaline rush when you and someone who is really skilled like the black knight is up against each other to progress to the victory royale. Lots of things are going through your mind as you figure out a way to defeat him. You could take him out with stealth or you can rush and take him out with a rocket launcher or a shotgun. Fortnite has lots of action, and there are many things it offers you to make your gaming experience worthwhile, and really interesting. Another fun aspect about Fortnite is that it allows you to build, unlike other battle royale games like H1Z1 and PUBG. Fortnite’s building feature offers many things that you are able to do like building bases, bridges, stairs, also using it’s building feature to rush another team or player. This cartoonish game like this can be played by anyone of any age, also many parents likes this game because it’s not graphic like all of the other battle royale games are. Some people might think this game is not as good as everyone else thinks, but this game offers many things like a free mode battle royale that is really fun to play,06 so I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys battle royale games.

Adult Written byhavards January 27, 2018
Parent Written byJem P. April 11, 2018

Psychological concern as a psychologist

For those who think this game is OK for the children under 13, I'm very concerned about the parents' thoughts as a psychologist. I prescreened this game for my boy who's turning 12 because many are already playing since 10 years old and continually asking my boy to join them on line. / I wonder if the parents who said this game is OK for any child under 13 actually watched the entire game with the child in order to see what it's about. / This game's whole purpose is "to find and kill" the others who're trying to LIVE. All of them are using the characters as their avatars which look exactly like human beings and all of them try so hard not to get killed. Though it's not bloody, it's the psychological concept that we, as parents must be concerned about. / 1. These are REAL people who're playing through the Avatars and they WANT TO LIVE. They try everything to survive, therefore, they hide, they fight, and they conceal themselves with their friends. Your child hunt these people down and open the door, dig the bushes to KILL. They're not a fake CPU playing or imaginary images like monsters or ghosts. These are actual people playing in real time with your child. Having NO feeling to shoot these people and slashing them with axes shouldn't be OK to your child, however, the parents say it's OK. Am I the only one concerned about this psychological aspect? 2. They kill you right in front of your face like 1 inch away you. Being killed after trying so hard to get away/hide, your child gets VERY angry. Who wouldn't?? It teaches the child to be bitter and resentful toward other people and the anger drives the child to play more and more, remembering the ID number of the opponent, so that they can kill the person next time. Is this really what we want to teach our children? Revenge and resentment? 3. Whoever made this game using the idea of being angry and resentful towards others who killed them, therefore the users will continually play has unhealthy, greedy drive and has NO concern for our children. They just want to make money using the psychological aspect, which is sickening and ill for our children./ Please think about the concept, not just the animated graphics that are meant to fool you, so that you'll let your child play. We're the parents who must protect our children from this kind of unhealthy psychological game.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byoggy r. November 28, 2017

amzing game

its not that violent

Parent Written bySheila m. March 6, 2018

DON'T LET YOUR KIDS PLAY THIS GAME

when I let my kids get this horrific game , I didn't know what I was getting them into! In this game (I am referring to the battle royal mode of this game) you are dropped onto a island with one hundred other players, at which point you must fight to the death. one issue with this is that it seems to be emulating genocide to an extent. your goal is to kill other players, many of whom's avatars are minorities. another issue with this game is the sexual content. the players avatars are often shown wearing clothing that covers up very little of them, which I find quite inappropriate for my little kids. finally, this game encourages your kids to spend money on it. there are many cosmetic micro-transactions that the game will push on your kids. in conclusion, this game is extremely inappropriate, and I would not recommend it to anyone. P.S., I found a one hundred and fifty dollar version of this game, which I find to be outrageous.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byPaula P. February 17, 2018

Way to start the desensitization

I watched my son walk around with assalt rifles and just shoot at anyone he saw and he had to kill them or they killed him WTH??? How is that good for a kid? I’d rather see Sex than that Sorry but Americans have it all wrong

Parent Written byElizabeth G. February 7, 2018

The goal of this game is killing people

For parents who are wondering about this game, I suggest watching one of the gameplay videos posted on Youtube. Yes, the visuals are cartoonish. But I fail to understand why cartoonish drawing makes makes a game OK when its whole point is to shoot and kill people. Would it be OK if cartoonish figures raped and tortured people, too? In my view, there is no age at which this game is appropriate. It is also likely to serve as a gateway game for even more violent shooter games.