Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Gears of War

Hot sci-fi shooter for adults only.

Adult Written by11BK201 April 9, 2011

An incredible co-op for mature gamers!

I play this game with the extreme content filter on because of the language and violence. Even with the filter the language still surprised me with plenty of words like sh*t, b*tch, and some more milder profanities. Some of these words are in the script during story development and some are during the actual gameplay. You hear the phrase "Eat sh*t and die!" multiple times throughout the games as NPC's kill enemies. Without the filter it is much worse. The filter does however take out much of the harsher violence. Without the filter you can literaly blow enemies apart with the shotgun or saw them in half with the cainsaw bayonet. All of the violence is extremely bloody often spraying up onto the screen. WITH the filter there is no blood and enemies do not fall apart. The screen still tints red when you are shot but it is not gruesome. Some of the environments can be a little disturbing with or without the filter. Some areas depict the after math of human encounters with aliens. Bodies are strewn about often in very bad shape (dismembered, bloodied, slightly decayed, etc...) However, none of it is very bad if you don't look closely at it. The strong point of this game is playing through the story mode with another player. The level of cooperation needed is incredible. My brother and I spend a lot of time playing this game together. It's a fun way to spend time with a good friend or family member. In the end, this is a great game; great controls, graphics, gameplay and co-op. It is dark and violent but this can mostly be avoided with the filter. It is however, still a game about war so it is best for more mature gamers

Adult Written bysuperparent99 October 4, 2011

Overrated

People say that this game is super inappropriate. First off, let me say that the violence is all from the aliens, spewing alien blood. Also, the game is extremely fast paced so you don;t even really pay attention to the violence. The language is bad, but nothing any kid over 12 doesn't hear on a daily basis. And to top all this off, there is a filter to turn both these things off. When that happens, the game easily becomes T instead of M
Parent of a 12 year old Written byBioshocker March 3, 2011

Depends on the Family.

I think this is a great game, but it depends on the family. The bad words can be turned down (just turn off your volume on your TV!!) And the gore can be filtered out. This takes this game's rating down to a perverbilal "T." No sexual content, no crude humor. And, it's a fun game.

Adult Written bysoccer8901 April 9, 2008
I have a 13 year old son. He has been begging me for this game. I usually dont let him play M rated games at all, but I decided that I would look at this one. After i looked at it i thought it wasnt bad at all. First of all, there is no killing of humans, there is only killing of alien like things called locusts. Secondly,if you are not a fan of blood and language, there is an option to turn it off in the game. And also most 11-13 year old kids are mature enough to know what is right and wrong. Most people dont like it for the killing, but seriously folks, they are aliens! I truly think that if your child has seen star wars, that this game is no different. If your child tuens off blood and language, then this game truly wont differ from most Teen rated games.
Adult Written byGamePlayer12 October 17, 2009
Gears of War is a brutal, trash talking game but a good game. Gears Of War is a great game that has a attaching story line and amazing gameplay. Now if you wanna know the bad things in this game... then here goes. The Violence, Brutal non-stop violence... you rip enemies in half with chainsaws, pop enemies heads with snipers and blow enemies to bits with a high powered shotgun. If you are 16 and up you should be able to handle it. The Language, F bombs are used throughout the game, such as A**,B**** and other words on TV. overall 5/5 not for YOUNGER kids though.

Adult Written byBalt.RavensFan2001 January 27, 2012

One of my favorite games

I am a die hard gears fan i own all 3 games, all the books and am a proud owner of a pair of COG Tags but this is NOT a game for kids under 17, although I have played online with kids as young as 12, However ALL three games have a mature content option that turns the blood and language OFF turning a M rated game to a T rated game. So all in all this is not a game for kids but parents can turn off all the mature content in the options menu.

Adult Written byPtotheMtotheJ November 21, 2009

A no go for kids and tweens.

This game is definitely NOT for kids under 17. It's brutally violent and constant swearing really makes the whole package an adults only game. Children and tweens shouldn't play this, it wasn't intended for kids. This game is BRUTAL.

Adult Written byCyrus F. September 26, 2016

Gears of War

Adult Written bylocust556 March 30, 2011

ok for kids

little violent but not much i let kids play it there 5 and 6
Adult Written bydarthsitkur August 20, 2012

i love this game and i love the graphic novel as well

I have both the game and the graphic novel and they're both really badass, the game and the graphic novel have tons of bloody and gory action
Adult Written bymomiam April 9, 2008
I have 4 kids, 8,9,11,13. I bought Gears of War for my oldest son. Although I did not totally agree with it, I felt that he was at the age that he could buy this game. The violence and language is in his everday life. How many time per day do you pick up the remote control, turn on the t.v, and hear curses, and see violence. These games are roleplay, and are not horrible. As long as there are limits, then this game should be fine. *IMPORTANT: I would say that the range of ages for this game should be 13+
Adult Written bygoaliemon00mrtc April 13, 2013

Violent but fun

one of the best shooters out there with no loading screens. There are settings you can turn off the mature gore and language.

Adult Written byhondaMX king April 9, 2008

I was simply blown away,

This game is no doubt one of the #1 games for Xbox 360. It is an insane game with nonstop action and kick ass characters. I do say it is extreme and you do severe aliens in half with a chainsaw attatched to your primary firearm, so gore is an issue for little ones, along with language but no sex. For graphics, i was also blwn away. The lighting makes it seem real. The controls however get annoying especially the sprint which is the main problem, if you try to sprint and hit the sprint button, it will do the command, but if you trying to go to cover somewhere and there is another cover spot yoo dont want to go and you are near it, the character will unvoluntarily go to the closer spot for cover, which is not a great feature in pitched combat. Action wise it is pretty much non stop, and no true plotline except that aliens invade earth, take over, and this kind of militia party with steroid infested men retaliate agains the invaders. So, i highly recommend it. But one more thing i have to critisize is the fact that the game is way to short. there are only i believe 4 levels, and even though they are extremely long it still makes the game feel short, but besides that it is incredible and no doubt this game will be talked about.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byGaming_Parent April 2, 2015

its fine

I think that this game is age appropriate for nine year olds because I know there Is a lot of blood in the game but there is this feuture just like in the call of duty games were you can turn off the blood even with the second game so it really does not matter it would be rated teen if that was a permanent thing

Adult Written byyesssssssss October 2, 2011

Violent

Gears of war is a very gory and violent game, but there is a filter to turn off the blood and gore, and most of the language. My son has this game, and I make him turn on the filter. Make sure you trust your child before letting them play this game.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byisaac4christ December 3, 2010
i like it there is one level that is hard but once u get pased that is is easy.

Educational Value
Adult Written by9tailnaruto September 3, 2010

great for kids between 10 to old.

the best game ever. everyone should play this. i seen 6year old play this so what.

Educational Value
Parent Written byPlague January 7, 2010

Gears of War

Really fun game! Worth the purchase, and funner then Halo.

Adult Written bybullblitzdog April 27, 2009

this game is pretty amazing

i love this game! its not better than halo2 or halo3 but when i played instantly i died.....thts how good it was
Adult Written bymdog April 9, 2008