Parent reviews for Half-Life 2: The Orange Box

Five gripping, mature sci-fi shooter games.

Adult Written byCommonSenseCritic January 25, 2012

Valve is Best Gaming Company

TF2 ROCKS!
Adult Written byheduith February 1, 2019

Greatest bundle i've ever had

It is a bundle of all the best games i've ever played all of these games are great i highly recommend getting this bundle
Adult Written byDearLeader January 29, 2019

A Very Fun game set

Its not that bloody , And no swearwords , there Is a lil bit of violence but Its not that bad it could actually help your child with : logical thinking,teamwork,And enhance their reflexes

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byKenny A. October 24, 2018

TF2 is the best game in here!(Don't get mad opinion haters)

Now here is the catch, I am only reviewing TF2, as I have not played any other games in this box. (Yes, I brought it) It has a little blood, but it is not that bad. The worst thing is the gibs, where a person explodes into pieces, but that can be fixed by toggling "sillygibs" when creating a game. (Server creators choose this, so if you son/daughter joins, he or she does not choose it(unless you live in Germany and have the german version of Steam, of course) ) I do recommend watching your children when they are playing this, though, as they can give away their personal details to Steam(Valve), but they can not create a account if they are under 13 years of age, and can't view M rated games unless they set it to 18 years of age, and finally, there is also Family Library, so you can share games with your kids, but if they have cheats and play on TF2, they can ban you from it as you sent it to their computers. (This only applies if they play on VAC(Valve Anti-Cheat) servers) (Edit: I forgot, apparently you toggle sillygibs yourself. all you have to do is to right click on tf2, click properties, go to launch settings, then type in -sillygibs . It might be this symbol ~ , but i could be wrong.

Parent Written bySamuel R. September 21, 2017

Amazing Classic Games

These games were so well made that the gaming community made them last for ten or more years!

Although games like Team Fortress Two which don't have good role models which promote aggression, drinking, and smoking. Games such as Half-Life allow you to play as Gordon Freeman, a heroic man who saves humanity from hostile extraterrestrials with guns and a good old crowbar. He also gets help from his team, and G-man (probably a disguised alien) ;P.

The games are quite complicated at first with almost the entire keyboard as an option, but generally speaking are quite easy to use when you learn the standard controls.

High levels of realistic violence and blood and gore are depicted in the games, not as graphic as some of the game trailers, specifically Team Fortress Two (I don't recommend showing your children those). Aliens and people can bleed, heads can be decapitated, and bodies can be incidentally placed in impossible positions that couldn't be done in real-life. The game does not have a direct option to make this feature child-friendly but you should be able to get around it by typing a command into the console which disables most blood character disembodiment. Characters also scream and yell in pain or upon death.

Characters often say words such as "s**t", "damn", "b***ch", "hell", or mock each other in a hateful manner.

In Team Fortress Two there can be half-naked prostitutes on the calenders at spawn (nothing is shown and there isn't much to worry about). Although rare please note that players can abuse custom sprays (custom images on walls) and put any image they want to distract players for extra kills. I don't know if reporting still works during these incidents, considering most of the Valve team have moved to developing other games.

As always, the multiplayer interaction can be abusive through the use of microphones, chat, and sprays. In defence, the game allows you to disabled the microphone (send or receive) altogether or mute specific players. You can also send a report (not sure if it still works), or in your last defence vote to kick players which everyone in-game will vote on. Team Fortress Two has an anti-hacking filter which prevents aimbots and other forms of hacking.

Overall, incredible games that lasted through time and still receive regular updates! However the Team Fortress Two community has changed and is not what it used to be, there are a lot of young players and trolls. We don't know how the future will be, especially with the rise of Overwatch. The games are between being teenage and adult.

By the way, Team Fortress Two is now free to play on steam!

Adult Written byLiberal Review July 29, 2015

Not A Gore Frenzy

This compilation of great games is really something you might want to buy for yourself and your teen aged kids. In this review, I'll give an overview of all five games without spoiling endings.

Half Life 2 (and episodes 1-2): Half Life 2 is the sequel to the universally-acclaimed game Half Life. The plot involves a dystopian future where the human race has been enslaved by the Combine, a multi-dimensional race of aliens, who plan to end humanity by transforming them into mindless slaves or soldiers. There are puzzle and combat sections of the game that are very advanced and enthralling, so your kids might be more frustrated than scared. There is a level of gore in the three games, but not the disgust kind, but the kind where you are told of the horrors of the Combine. Overall, I'd suggest that as long as your kid can differentiate between game violence and real violence, this game is for 13 and up. After all, it was voted one of the best games of all time, with a 96/100 rating on Metacritic.

Team Fortress 2: This game is the total opposite of Half Life 2, with its cartoonish style, very balanced gameplay, and hilarious personalities of the game characters. You play as nine classes, each with their own gameplay style and personality, jumping from an aristocratic gentleman to a black Scottish cyclops to a psychedelic pyromaniac. This game contains online interactions, and if you are very adamant of not allowing instant communication, I'd suggest you not get this game. Fortunately, there are ways to disable blood in this game, but it requires some technicality to achieve. I'd suggest that you buy this game if your kid can handle online interactions, along with the violence.

Portal: A puzzle game involving portals that allow you to teleport to a location you choose, instantly. This game can be very challenging if you choose the challenge maps. This game has little gore, but involves a corrupt AI that seeks to kill you. This game is definitely okay for 10+.

Adult Written byKyle B April 28, 2015

I can't see why this won't be appropriate for kids

These sets of games are not inappropriate Portal one of the games is a first person puzzler.The next three, Half life 2, Half Life ep. 1 and ep.2 are about a scientist from black mesa named gordan freeman and you fight an alien race called the combine. This game doesn't have lots of blood but just don't let your kids play the ravenholm level they might be scared of it. the last on Team fortress is a multiplayer fps which has some gore but isn't that bad especially if you let your kids watch Attack On Titan

Adult Written byBobSnerk January 8, 2015

NOT FOR KIDS

What you need to know is that these games should NEVER be played by teens or children. It contains blood, that's right you heard me RED BLOOD. There is no way anyone should be playing these graphic video games. There is also horribly graphic language such as damn. You might be hearing that your child is in middle school and is exposed to this all the time but it will SCAR your child in the most evil ways. Guess what one of the games also includes multiplayer. Everyone knows that everyone on a server swears like a sailor. Don't you EVER let your child play one of these awful games.

Adult Written byJames Blunt Lover November 22, 2014

Not That bad really!

I was very Hesitant when I got this game for my son, It had some swearing but nothing that bad, In fact I think that the worst swearing was the phrase
" God flipping fishy Dang it!" The Game in-itself is quite fun to play I know my son could spend hours playing it with his friends on his PC. And the gore is minimal and my son told me that there is a way to toggle it on and off. In a whole I think this game is fine for over tens.

Adult Written byBlueCactus24 November 4, 2014

TeamFortress2!!

Violence:7/10 Language:2/10 Themes: 3/10 This game is really fun, a bit bloody and violent but no language! The game teaches social skills by being able to play with friends, and communicate in a team. Uses of jackass, but nothing much more. Don't let any reviews fool you, for it isn't bad much.
Adult Written byadultwith4kids September 13, 2014

5 great games that I'd let my 10 year old play

portal is ok for 9 and up, team fortress 2 is fine for 10 year olds and half-life 2 is ok for 10 year olds. 5 of the best games I have ever played with my sons
only privacy concerns are with team fortress 2 because its an online game but you can mute other players.

Adult Written byBradMan September 11, 2014

It depends.

I bought this game for my son at 11 on steam and he's loved it. TeamFortress2 is great for 11-111 and its a great game, with occasional smoking, and intense(but very silly) cartoon violence such as headshots, full body explosions(limbs do come off in rains of blood) but its all for fun. So, TF2 is good for 11 year olds that understand there isn't real graphic content in it. Now, Portal is one of the best games, and even I enjoy playing it. Its frustrating, and pretty hard so should be 9+ on that. This is where my review tips. HalfLife 2. It is a bloody, quite horrific, game that takes on a premise of humans being controlled by aliens(there are other aliens too) that take over a civilization and your the key to helping that. The aliens will make you jump from your seat. My 11 year old played through about an hour of it, and he said "Dad I don't want to play this game until later." so I said wait until your 12 and try again because it really is a good game.

Adult Written bymagreen9 August 17, 2014

Portal Review ONLY

This Game Is A First Person Game HOWEVER You do not have a real gun. it is called a portal gun. It shoots out portal's that are basically orange and blue door's that connect. In term's of violence, there is a level specifacly the 16 chamber where there are minigun turrets that you have to "defeat" Them by grabbing them and throwing them. There is blood however you will probably not notice it. Also in the same chamber, they use the word h**l But Not Like What The H**l It Is Used As Like Real "H**l". And At The Last Proportion's Of The Game GLaDOS The Enemy Say's Quote's Like "I Am Going To Kill You.".

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byReviewFriend September 11, 2013

5 Great Titles (Not for everyone though)

This collection of games is definitely worth the price that it asks, but it might not be suitable for kids 9 and under (especially Team Fortress 2!) If I rated all of them from 1 to 10 (1 being little to no, 10 being very high) for violence it would be something like:
Half Life Games: 4 Has blood and guns but not that violent
Portal: 1 Has blood but is not noticeable
Team Fortress 2: 7 Has a lot of blood, guns, and people exploding into blood... So yeah, that's a thing. But also looks pretty cartoony.

And that concludes my review. :D
Adult Written byTheNardDog June 7, 2013

The Orange Box - The Best Video Game Box Ever Made

The orange box is literally the worlds best video game box. It comes with 3 outstanding video games, Half-Life 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Half-life 2 is rated the worlds best video game. You are a retired scientist whos trying to save the world from alien invasion while getting slowed down by the terrorist group the combine. Half-life 2 contains some blood when you shoot enemies but not too much and no gore. The word d****t is used once in the game but thats all. Portal is a first person puzzle game where you have escape a testing facility by shooting portals on walls. The game is a little spooky but other than that is would be fine for a 9 year old. The last game team fortress 2 is an online shooter. The game is very fun and frankly quite humorous. The game is a bit gory when you kill some one but it is very cartoonish. The game game does contain a few sprinkled a** and d****t here and there but other than that pretty appropriate. Thanks for reading this review!

Adult Written bydragonofthesouth December 6, 2012

Fantastic!

A very good pack of games that have a nice story "Except for Team Fortress 2, wich is a multiplayer game).

It does contain swear words and lots of violence, but it still is fun, I recommend getting it.

Adult Written byphycologyGuy September 13, 2011

Halflife 2

It is an perfect game for a 13 and older child.
If he/she is mature and understands what is realy happening in this game.There is also an option on any of the orange box gammes that allows you to turn off any blood gore swears ext: Enjoy

Adult Written bybowser52 August 10, 2011

Wait,

I can decide whether or not a game is suitable for me without my parents consent although I still discuss with them before buying/playing. I was originally not allowed to play Half Life 2 until i found a mod that actually removes the blood and gore for the entirety of the game. The game still keeps the violence of nonstop murder but removing the blood takes this down to a Teen rating. Keep this in mind before deciding. Otherwise this is a great game by all means and better with others off or online.

Adult Written byBenaldo July 16, 2011

A great bundle, but not for the young 'uns.

The orange box is a great value, no doubt about it. Portal is in my opinion a wonderful experience fit for any kids old enough to handle a controller. Team fortress 2 is violent, however the setting is obviously cartoony and gore can be switched off. Multiplayer servers on TF2 are unmoderated however, and cursing and obscene "Sprays" (A feature of multiplayer valve games) are common. Half life 2 is the main reason i'd rate this as bad for 12 and under. Although an astounding game, Half life 2 is very violent in a realistic way. The player is pitted against humanoid and alien enemies, although the human enemies are faceless police units with little to no humanity. Gore is common, an entire chapter of the game is devoted to fighting against zombified victims of an alien parasite in a dark and dreary small town. Said small town is riddled with gore in the form of corpses, blood, and other things. Although the game has a clear good vs evil story, the gratuitous violence used by both sides sends bad messages to kids.

Adult Written byXboxmom777 July 13, 2011

Common sense you have judged a game by its rating yet again

I have a 12 year old son who has had a Xbox for about 5 months now and I got him this game. Now I'm not very familiar with games like this but I think if he is mature to play simple T rated games then this is a perfect game for kids his age group. Portal is such a fun and brain teasing game and calling it mature in any way is absolutely ridiculous. Now for Half Life 2. It is NOT in any way needed to be negotiated about being both T and M its T easy as that I myself do have a problem with guns and I am disgusted when my husband goes out and hunts.However I watch my son play Xbox a lot and this game is not in any way bloody sure some blood when you kill aliens.but nothing extreme. Now Team Fortress 2 is what you should be worried about. Its very cartoon looking but I assure you it is very bloody even though it is very fake and almost ridiculous it is very bloody. Now language is sort of an issue. But if your child is 12 or older he has probably been exposed to language enough that it doesn't even phase them. That's my review of the orange box. Not being a huge video game player, this may or may not be accurate, but its my review as a parent for a parent.

Educational Value