Kid reviews for Half-Life 2: The Orange Box

Five gripping, mature sci-fi shooter games.

Teen, 13 years old Written byramro2002 February 21, 2011

Common sense overlooks another great game.

Well, common sense does it again. Their biased reviews only hurt the parents view on this game. True, this game (collecction) is rated M, to buy this game and let your kids play is your choice, and based on their maturity. My parents have allowed me to buy this game box (for a steal of 15 $). All games by valve have a console, for the pc. if you press the `~ button, you have options to turn of blood and gore. Portal is a great mind game that requires some really complex thinking, Team Fortress 2 is a cartoony, fun, battle game, with blood off options. The half life games are intended for a mature audience. Both games have bit of language, but what are you supposed to expect from a Mature game? So, i completely disregaurd the ESRB ratings, and focus on the value of the games. Half life the series has a engrossing, intellegent storyline.

Teen, 14 years old Written bycountofcounts December 20, 2010

Great deal! $20 for 5 great games!

The Orange Box comes with 5 games on 1 disc. It's best to review them seperately. Here goes...

HALF-LIFE 2 (3 separate games)
This game frightened me when I was in my basement, alone, with the lights off. It's gloomy and creepy. Lots of corpses, large amounts of blood stains (it's all over the floors and the walls during combat and remains there for the rest of the chapter), and pretty much... violence.
The fight for human survival is inspiring, though. And there is a happy ending.
Adult language: People say "dam", "hell", and "sh*t". It's infrequent, but still there.

PORTAL:
This is an innovative puzzle game (that I love to death). It's educational, because players have to strategically place portals and solve problems while using a unique method. The blood is EXACTLY the same as in Half-Life 2. When the player is shot by enemy drones, the Half-Life 2 blood is spilled and stains the walls and floor. Throughout the whole game, the player's blood is the only blood spillled. Very frequent use of crude and dark humor is present in the game. Yeah, it's funny. Yeah, it's creepy. Such phrases include this one: "Here at the test chamber, we are dedicated to letting you know anything of importance. Stepping on the floor past this room will result in having an unsatisfactory mark on your final report... followed by death."

TEAM FORTRESS 2:
There is no offline to this game. If you don't have internet for your Xbox 360, then this game is pointless. Two teams play capture the flag, or try to steal each other's control points. Players use lots of weapons and there are very large ammounts of blood splatter (the developers seem to really like blood) will stain the floors and walls and even discolor the water. Players can be stabbed, blasted, set on fire, and even hacked to death by an axe. It's incredibly violent. But most of it is portrayed as comical and funny... (which can be bad or good). The art style is VERY cartoonish and there is absolutely NO REALISM. Seriously... why would two opposing enemies build there bases 20ft from each other? It's a lot of fun, but honestly, the PC version is better.

AGE RATINGS:
----------------------
HALF-LIFE 2:
I rate this game ON for ages 16+
I rate this game IFFY for ages 13-15
I rate this game OFF for ages 12 and under.

PORTAL:
I rate this game ON for ages 12+
I rate this game IFFY for ages 9-11
I rate this game OFF for ages 8 and under.

TEAM FORTRESS 2:
I rate this game ON for ages 15+
I rate this game IFFY for ages 12-14
I rate this game OFF for ages 11 and under.

Teen, 16 years old Written byoff yellow October 21, 2019

Where else can you find FIVE games for about 12£

This review is about all five and not just about Team Fortress like some of the other people below me are saying. first of all: portal my least favorite of the bunch but it's still one of my favorite puzzle games of all time! no violence or swearing it's just that the storyline is kinda dark. and Team Fortress:

need i say more?

and the big violent undeserved M rated game and my favorite of the bundle: HALF LIFE 2! this is my favorite game of all time for its sympathetic storyline with emotional ups and downs make you really feel for the characters! not much blood and swearing is kind of rare in not very intense.

all in all, 13+ sounds good to me.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFalconpunch64 January 3, 2011
ok tf2 is a little gory but portal is educational

Kid, 11 years old September 8, 2020

the orange box is a really good bundle (TF2 and HL2 review only due to me not owning any of the other games)

half life 2: you are a scientist in eastern europe, in 202- you are in a oppresive soviet-like state that conquered the whole world in 7 hours, you go to black mesa east, which is a resistance outpost and then you go to ravenholm, i recommend you skip this if you dont like scary stuff. there is not alot of cursing except for S--- and F---- but F---- was censored by explosions.

Team Fortress 2: you can play as one of 9 classes as an example: the engineer, he can build building and kill people with sentrys, and teleport people with teleporters. and heal people with dispensers/give them ammo or you can play as the medic which is a medic, BUT GAME REVIEW. the game has some blood, the worst is gibs which is when someone explodes. if you dont want your kids to see gibs, go into steam and right click on "Team Fortress 2" and go to properties and type in -sillygibs silly gibs will remove the explosion.

Teen, 14 years old Written byhalflife September 4, 2020

suitable

Kid, 10 years old September 2, 2020

Portal is pretty good.

Portal is a good game for kids. Portal DOES have blood, but I think you can turn it off. I played this game start to finish in about 1/2 weeks. Portal does have swearing like "D**M", "H**L" and stuff like that. I don't recommend portal 2 if you don't like an old man screaming in your ear about "YOUR D**M LEMONS" he says in the game.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJoro82 August 8, 2020

3 different games for different ages

Technically there are 5 games in the package, but 3 of them are from the same series and have similar content.
Portal is easily the tamest of the games, being a puzzle based game. There is some blood when the character gets shot by robotic turrets but its not gratuitous. The puzzle can be tricky and involve a lot of thinking. There is some funny dark humor throughout the game that really adds to the experience, so if your kid wouldn't get the jokes they probably should wait.
TF2 is an online shooter with over the top cartoonish violence(characters getting blown up with body parts organs and blood splattering everywhere). Though you can censor the violence, there is not a great way to censor the chat(without removing a sometimes helpful tool from the game. Know that like with other online games your kid might hear some extremely racist, sexist, and overall offensive things, as well as language. All this being said, i highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good online shooter.
Half life 2 and its episodes are the main reason that the expert reviewer gave this an +18 rating. By today's standards, it would still be rated M, there is a fair amount of violence and overall disturbing imagery. In combat there is no gore(except with antlions and zombies). You'll shoot a masked combine soldier and they will ragdoll, a small blood splatter would appear behind them on a wall. You can kill enemies by throwing objects at them. Antlions are large bugs,their abdomens poop when they die of anything besides shooting. Headcrab zombies can be cut in half by launching saw blades at them.
Honestly the most troubling thing about half life 2 and its episodes are the things you come across, not what you as a player do. You can find bodies that are bloody and missing a face(bad graphics for the face but still disturbing), as well as burnt bodies. Zombies chest's are open, as in there innards are totally exposed. Zombies also make disturbing cries that when played backwards contain things like "god help me please, oh god" which means that headcrab zombies are still alive just under the control of parasites. Headcrabs could scare people with arachnophobia. The most disturbing things are found in Ravenholm. Impaled and burning bodies, many headcrab zombies, a few of which are lit on fire by default and start screaming.
Non of these games are intended for young children, I recommend them to anyone who's old enough to play them.

I hope this was a helpful review.

Kid, 11 years old August 8, 2020

Depends on the Maturity of The Person Playing it

To put the age rating simply,
It depends.

What I mean by that is that depending on what your child can handle in the game.
I’ll start off with blood. Every one of these games has a form of blood. But at the same time you can disable blood in all of these games.
Also I haven’t played Half Life but I heard it’s a very good game but it does have swear words in it.

So make it easier for you I am going to write a independent review for each game.

(Team Fortress 2):
Team Fortress 2 is a Free to Play online first person shooter defendant on strategy and teamwork with its cartoony but gorey art style and where you can play as 9 different characters each with there unique skills and flaws.
This game is what got me into VALVE games with its excellent written characters and amazing gameplay for free.
Team Fortress 2 is one of the best Shooters in the game going on for 13 years and still being popular and yea it has blood but remember you can disable it.
It also has voice chat and text chat which has no swear filter but can be all disabled in settings.
Overall TF2 is one of the best shooters and can show teamwork and strategy but it’s more shoot people then learn something new.

Overall Rating for Team Fortress 2:
With Blood: 13+
Without Blood: 11+

(Portal):
If you want to know in my opinion Portal 2 is less violent and has better gameplay but this game is necessary to understand portal 2.

Portal is a First Person Puzzle game where you wield the Portal Gun that creates a maximum of 2 portals that you can bring stuff through.
Portal had a lot of education value to me since it made me think really hard to solve puzzles.
I don’t want to spoil much but the turrets can shoot at you and can leave blood stains but remember can be disabled. The only other thing not the most family friendly is one of the characters GLAdOS may sometimes threat you with death and at the end.... well I don’t want to spoil much but it isn’t graphic or harmful and all the things that isn’t the most family friendly is just dark humor.

Overall Rating for Portal:
With Blood: 12+
Without Blood: 9+

That’s all the orange box games I played and. I might write a review on Half Life later.

In conclusion these games depend

In conclusion these games are all amazing with gameplay and story and it depends on how sensitive you or your child is to blood (can be disabled) and minor threats (not personal or serious) and with Half Life swear words to decide if you or your child should play this. And don’t take 18+ as the rating take each game as a separate rating.

Thank you for reading my review and remember, the cake is a lie.
Teen, 13 years old Written by-Wheat- July 16, 2020

Play it now or feel regret

Honestly, one of the best game bundles I've ever played, Half Life is amazing, Portal is awesome, and Team Fortress 2 is... THE BEST! They all run really well on mid to low-end PC's, so if you can purchase the game you can probably play it. So long as you are okay with infrequent "realistic" blood and frequent cartoon blood, then buy this game immediately!
Kid, 8 years old June 25, 2020

Pretty Fun

Good For A New Player
TF2 And Other Games Can Get A Have Some Gore But No Extreme Swearing Too

Kid, 10 years old June 10, 2020

TF2 is the best!

I will be reviewing for TF2 (Team Fortress 2)

I love Team Fortress 2! There is a chat and people can talk with their mic on the game but there is a setting where you can mute certain players in the game. There is also blood in the game but not much. In conclusion, Team Fortress 2 is a pretty good game and you should try it!
Kid, 11 years old May 28, 2020

Great Game, but Some Violence and Gore.

These are some of the greatest games of all time. I loved all three of them. There is violence, gore and slight language in all of them, but nothing too bad.

Half-Life 2: Great game with an amazing story line. Some blood and gore (decapitating headcrabs, killing Combine soldiers, and minute amounts of blood coming from you and the enemies.) but it isn't very realistic since the game was made in 2004. The story may be kind of unsettling to younger children (an interdimensional organization that took over the world and brainwash the humans by contaminating their water), but i'll bet some of the books they read may be as bad. Also, Gordon Freeman (the person you play as) is a great role model. Some mild language like h*ll and d*mn but nothing too bad.

Portal: The perfect puzzle game to stimulate an even eight-year-old's mind! A very fun FPS where you use portals to navigate test chambers in an underground facility to finally make it to the computer that runs the facility and destroy her. In later test chambers, there are minigun turrets that when they manage to shoot you and you look behind you, you will notice that there is some blood on the wall. The way to destroy these turrets, though, is very funny. You can pick them up from behind and chuck them into the air and the turrets may even scream or shout "Hooray!" Also, there are minimal amounts of swearing like the very occasional "h*ell" by GlaDOS, the computer that runs the underground facility. Overall, very fun, brain-simulating puzzle game that I would definitely recommend you get!

Team Fortress 2: A fun FPS with a loony art style and online content so you can jump in with a mate and play the various collection of core and alternative game modes (the core game modes being more classic and realistic gameplay with situations that are in lots of other games and accurate to real life, and the alternative game modes having more wacky and "pass-time" features like one called pass time: a fun mashup of regular tf2 and soccer, hockey, or basketball. There's gore in this game similar to Half-Life but way more goofy and unrealistic, like spontaneously combusting upon death by rocket-launcher (while this requires some experience with computers, these gorey deaths can be turned off). There are moans of pain when hit by bullets or other projectiles, though. There's occasional swearing, like the Scout telling his teammates to "get on the point, j**k*ss*s!" but that is very occasional. You're not really supposed to rate online content, but I think it's important that younger children don't play online unless it's with a group of friends because there can be some weird people in the tf2 community. One of the characters you can play as, The Spy, spokes a cigarette, but I don't think that one would ever start smoking to be like The Spy from TF2.

Valve really isn't into consumerism, really. There are microtransactions in TF2, but not in Portal or Hal-life

Kid, 10 years old November 14, 2019

Best Bundle ever.

This is pure amazing. Who gives a crap of the ratings. The games are amazing. Especially Portal! It is a fun puzzle game. And Team Fortress 2. It is fun and addicting!( In a good way) If you are a parent. I recommend to give it to your teenagers.

Privacy & Safety
Teen, 17 years old Written byImMatureISwear February 25, 2019

Little gore, a bit of swearing, not much else

the most of swearing out ya get in tf2 is "piss" really, bit of smoking aswell, portal doesnt feature much gore, and half life 2 swears a little bit with quite a bit of gore, but it isnt too common, you do get the zombies and headcrabs that are a little gory, especially ravenholm

Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2018

For more mature kids and tweens.

The 5 games in this bundle are legendary, possibly the best games to ever bless this planet. Half life and portal are absolutely amazing, with quite a few positive messages. Both are story based, with Half-Life being an action and portal being a puzzle game. These have huge amounts of replay value and are very fun.

Then there is TF2. Probably a 12+ overall, due to some swearing and being violent. But, it is very cartoony and encourages team work to the point where not cooperating at all will put you at a very large disadvantage, which will help players with talking in real life.

You should definitely get this if you want something nice for your child/teen. This will not disappoint unless they have very bad taste.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJoshuaSC May 23, 2018

18? Really?

It seems this website is much more stricter on video games than movies. Heres all the games:
Portal: 11+
Tf2: 13+
Hl2: 13+
Teen, 13 years old Written byRBLXStealer February 25, 2018

Classics for years to come.

All three games are absoloutley amazing after a decade. First off, Half Life 2 is an amazing dystopian sci-fi horror FPS. You can enjoy it without playing the original, but I recommend playing the original before playing HL2 for some background info. Portal is an amazing puzzle game where you're trapped in a science facility run by an evil AI called GLaDOS. Now, Team Fortress 2 in my opinion has the most replay value. It's an online FPS that takes place in 1968. You play as one of nine mercenaries and try to complete the objective before the other team completes it. TF2 still holds up after ten years, despite some updates. (Google "why was meet your match bad?") Overall, all of these games are absoloutley amazing and will hold up for decades to come.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJakespidouskideux July 2, 2017

READ REVIEW, AGE RATING AVERAGE AGE FOR ALL GAMES.

I am going to review each game 1 by 1.

Half Life: Simple, NOT FOR KIDS, I didn't even play this game, I bought the Orange Box for the other games (It just was too violent for kids my age, even I knew that...)

TF2: Suitable for 10-15+ depending on child's maturity. I am now a regular PC player of this game, as are many of my friends, but this is a perfect way to start the game,.I know the age for range is wide, but this game really depends on your child's maturity, I started when I was 11.

Portal: 8+, mainly because younger kids will get frustrated with this game, I have first-hand experience of this, my then 7 year old brother (he's now 8) had no idea what he was doing on the first level and got so frustrated that he NEARLY broke by controller (thank goodness he didn't, that would of been expensive for him), so you see what I mean.

Since there was multiple games, I found an average of my ratings, and it came out as 13 so that's why I rated it 13+. And before you ask, I did not just pick my age, put it there and just thought of a reason, you know, you probably never thought that, so who cares...

Teen, 16 years old Written byTG H. June 18, 2017

The Fabulous Orange Box

Ok, I'm a big fan of shooters and puzzle games and stuff. Based on my experience with games by Valve, some kids would probably not understand the puzzles involved with the games. Half life is a cool shooter/horror (because zombies)/ survival game with a little swearing. But with the game mechanics, a kid that is 5-7 would be like 'oh yay, cars!!!' and end up being shot. Team fortress 2 is an online/offline cartoony shooter just like Counter Strike ( that s not cartoony by the way). It is very Gorey even though it is cartoonish. kids would rage because it's a fast paced shooter. Portal is a good game but the puzzles can get a little frustrating.

Anyways, I totally would recommend this great fabulous game!!!