All teen and kid member reviews for Half-Life 2: The Orange Box

Teen, 13 years old Written byramro2002 February 21, 2011

Common sense overlooks another great game.

Well, common sense does it again. Their biased reviews only hurt the parents view on this game. True, this game (collecction) is rated M, to buy this game and let your kids play is your choice, and based on their maturity. My parents have allowed me to buy this game box (for a steal of 15 $). All games by valve have a console, for the pc. if you press the `~ button, you have options to turn of blood and gore. Portal is a great mind game that requires some really complex thinking, Team Fortress 2 is a cartoony, fun, battle game, with blood off options. The half life games are intended for a mature audience. Both games have bit of language, but what are you supposed to expect from a Mature game? So, i completely disregaurd the ESRB ratings, and focus on the value of the games. Half life the series has a engrossing, intellegent storyline.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycountofcounts December 20, 2010

Great deal! $20 for 5 great games!

The Orange Box comes with 5 games on 1 disc. It's best to review them seperately. Here goes... HALF-LIFE 2 (3 separate games) This game frightened me when I was in my basement, alone, with the lights off. It's gloomy and creepy. Lots of corpses, large amounts of blood stains (it's all over the floors and the walls during combat and remains there for the rest of the chapter), and pretty much... violence. The fight for human survival is inspiring, though. And there is a happy ending. Adult language: People say "dam", "hell", and "sh*t". It's infrequent, but still there. PORTAL: This is an innovative puzzle game (that I love to death). It's educational, because players have to strategically place portals and solve problems while using a unique method. The blood is EXACTLY the same as in Half-Life 2. When the player is shot by enemy drones, the Half-Life 2 blood is spilled and stains the walls and floor. Throughout the whole game, the player's blood is the only blood spillled. Very frequent use of crude and dark humor is present in the game. Yeah, it's funny. Yeah, it's creepy. Such phrases include this one: "Here at the test chamber, we are dedicated to letting you know anything of importance. Stepping on the floor past this room will result in having an unsatisfactory mark on your final report... followed by death." TEAM FORTRESS 2: There is no offline to this game. If you don't have internet for your Xbox 360, then this game is pointless. Two teams play capture the flag, or try to steal each other's control points. Players use lots of weapons and there are very large ammounts of blood splatter (the developers seem to really like blood) will stain the floors and walls and even discolor the water. Players can be stabbed, blasted, set on fire, and even hacked to death by an axe. It's incredibly violent. But most of it is portrayed as comical and funny... (which can be bad or good). The art style is VERY cartoonish and there is absolutely NO REALISM. Seriously... why would two opposing enemies build there bases 20ft from each other? It's a lot of fun, but honestly, the PC version is better. AGE RATINGS: ---------------------- HALF-LIFE 2: I rate this game ON for ages 16+ I rate this game IFFY for ages 13-15 I rate this game OFF for ages 12 and under. PORTAL: I rate this game ON for ages 12+ I rate this game IFFY for ages 9-11 I rate this game OFF for ages 8 and under. TEAM FORTRESS 2: I rate this game ON for ages 15+ I rate this game IFFY for ages 12-14 I rate this game OFF for ages 11 and under.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFalconpunch64 January 3, 2011
ok tf2 is a little gory but portal is educational
Teen, 14 years old Written byAussieIsaac December 6, 2010
Well I'd say that the Orange Box is an amazing package of games that, although may be rather violent, are fun, with nothing that young teens these days wouldn't be able to handle. However, each game is totally different with different levels of badness. Portal- Portal, despite being rated teen, doesn't really involve any violence. A bit of blood can be splattered on the wall if the player is shot, and an evil robot threatens to kill the player, but all done with a kind of quirky humour. The gameplay in Portal really makes you think and is very clever. I could even say it could be educational. So in conclusion, Portal would be appropriate for kids 10 and up. Half Life 2- HL2 and it's episodes are all pretty gloomy and very violent. However, the storyline is intriguing and the game itself is a masterpiece. Since it is set in a bit of a post-apocalyptic time, corpses can be seen often throughout, and quite frightening species of aliens are often encountered, the most intense being the 'headcrabs', which jump on peoples heads and turn them into gory looking zombies. Despite the high amounts of violence, the unity of the surviving humans is something to be inspired by, and it is nice, near the end of the game, to liberate the city. All in all, HL2 is something for older kids, and is rather gory, but doesn't include anything that could affect people too much. Team Fortress 2- TF2 is purely multiplayer, with the whole point to verse people in death matches over the internet. Although it is quite bloody, all the graphics are very stylized, being somewhat cartoony. I personally find this a very fun game, however is only appropriate in moderation (you don't want to be on a killing rampage for too long). However it is highly addictive (one of my friends has played 350 hours on it in the last few years, which I feel is too much). I'd say that TF2 doesn't really have many benefits, apart from being able to play with friends, and I'd say that TF2 shouldn't be played by small children due to it's very 'killy' nature. Overall, the Orange Box is a truly amazing package, that is great value. However, shouldn't be played by kids under 14 years old, or otherwise already corrupted by high school. Again, it is rather violent but doesn't including anything that would be 'too much' for teens. Thank you for reading.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpudling January 24, 2012

Not as bad as it seems...

The blood isn't as graphic as described and the swearing is infrequent and moderate, really nothing to get into a hoo-haa about compared to some of the games available today.
Kid, 9 years old March 13, 2012

Incorrectly rated.

The Orange Box is one of the most gripping game collections, and although it is rated M, the content should be rated more T and that's at it's worst. The first game in the package is Half Life 2, one of the best games I've played in all of 2012. It has an intense plot that may scare younger children, and the monsters are even worse. We have the combine, which is essentially the Nazi's of the future. They are equipped with gas masks, stun sticks, and a vocoder. In the beginning, you are brutally treated by the combine, which may steer some parents of younger children away. The survivors, however, will be rewarded as the game progresses. Although incredibly creepy monsters such as the Headcrab or Poison Zombie appear, once you perform a full assault on City 17 (The starting point) you learn true teamwork and leadership. You lead 4 citizens with the same goal as you - over- throw the combine. You have to be tactical with the squad however, because if they die, you won't get anymore. Next is the 2 episodes, who have the same plot - overthrowing the Combine, and I explained that in the review of Half Life 2. Up next is the game I play away every free hour of my life away with - Team Fortress Two. It has 9 unique classes, the bad tempered Boston Scout, the grizzled veteran Solider, the sociopath Pyro, the (almost always) drunk Demoman, the Russian sleepy Heavy, the polite Texan, Engineer, the insane german Medic, the bizarre australian Sniper, and the dashing rogue Spy. Enough good things about the game - this is where it gets intense. You'll see a LOT of blood in the game, including heads flying off, limbs falling over and landing in a pile of blood as characters scream, and they have various weapons such as Jarate which is a jar of urine you throw at enemies. This may sound intense and scary and mindless, but actually, it's a funny game. Characters constantly throw out quips, and it teaches teamwork as you're about to die.. 5 HP.. You look over at a medic who could win the entire game, but he puts down the winning briefcase just to heal you. You lose the game because of that medic helping you out from a grisly death. Also, if playing the PC version, you can turn off blood and replace body parts with something like screws or hamburgers. Next up is the brilliant puzzler, Portal. You are a test subject to the darkly humored, yet eccentric sounding GLaDOS. She quickly turns from a young sounding voice on a microphone to the worst beast you've ever met. She constantly makes comments once you're escaping with things like "You're an orphan. You were never worth one thing" in a desperate attempt to make you throw your hands in surrender. I won't spoil what happens, but it involves a cake. For only 30 dollars, this game is a great grab for kids 9 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written by3dblaster May 1, 2015

Article Is Wrong

The article says there are 4 M games and 1 T game. This is wrong. There are 2 T games (Portal and Team Fortress 2) and 3 M games (Half life games.) TF2 is cartoony and pretty appropriate, plus you can turn off blood. Portal is fun and challenging, with good humor and a loose connection to the Half life universe. Half Life 2 + episodes are some of the most gripping FPS games out there. It has violence and some language, but is not nearly as bad as Common Sense says.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLandOfDen July 18, 2014

Some people have no clue what they're saying.

All of these games have options to disable all blood and gore. There is this thing called google, that you should probably consult before making an idiot of yourself on the internet. Half life 2 and Portal both are running through the the Valve Source Engine, world renowned to being incredibly advanced for it's time. Because Valve is an awesome company and listens to it's fans, they implemented a code you can enter into the Developer Console (a box of code showing current state of running game). Now, that code(s), will turn off all blood and gore in the game. The code(s) is the following: (disable human blood) violence_hblood 0 (disable human gore) violence_hgibs 0 (disable alien blood) violence_ablood 0 (disable alien gore) violence_agibs 0 Entering these codes will remove 99% of all blood, not counting cutscenes. (only one brief scene depicts seomone being shot, but not even remotely grahpic) Now, for Team Fortress 2 (TF2), it's a bit more complicated. The only way to disable blood on consoles (ps3, xbox), is by unlocking the item "Pyrovision Goggles". It turns everything into the exact opostite of violent. Fire is now bubbles, missiles are lolipops, etc etc etc. These goggles are very easy to get. Just play as the pyro class and get some kills. Took me only 20 mins to unlock. On PC, you can find those same goggles, but if you don't want to go through the grind to unlock them, you're in luck. There is another option. Right click on "Team Fortress 2" and choose 'Properties'. Under the General tab click "Set Launch Options". Copy and paste the following line into this text box: -sillygibs +violence_ablood 0 +violence_agibs 0 +violence_hblood 0 +violence_hgibs 0 No gore, no blood (unless heavy, HEAVY, lag on a server. like 900 ping). As for language, these games aren't harmless, but you'd hear worse in a PG-13 movie. Portal has no language. Half Life 2 has some. Tf2 has very little and its rare. (A word, D word, Bastard, Hell.) The only bad thing is, that because these game engines are so realistic, the ragdolls are lifelike. That means when someone gets shot, you see the impact, and hear the screams. And by screams, I don't mean cries of agony and sheer horror, I mean AJHFAGHGH IM SHOT. But other than that, nothing. I hope I could be of help, i was determined to write this just so people wouldn't listen to those butthurt moms who find the most ridiculous reasons to hate games. Do yourself a favor, and only listen to parents that do the research before they write an article. (no disrespect)
Teen, 14 years old Written bySol9000 October 19, 2012

My mind is at war as to weather I should download TF2 or not

Seen the game footage, going after Pyrovision Goggles to tone it down, and most likely gonna play as the Medic, but still on the fence as to weather I should get it or wait a while longer. Anyway, Portal. Played a bit of it. Liked it a bit, but got stuck on the Companion Cube puzzle. Yeah, sad. Anyway, it has learning potential, but I don't recommend it for younger kids is simple: They won't last ten puzzles on this game. Why? Simple: Since us kids haven't completely developed our brains yet, we are much more prone to being bad at puzzle solving. In the end, it was good, but I think I'll pass... maybe. As for TF2, none of these reviews helped my decision.
Kid, 10 years old January 3, 2011

Awesome Game.

When I played Half-Life 2, It almost made me destroy my XBox, The game Is so good! Portal Is educational cause of the puzzles. TF2 Is my favorite, but It has no updates. :(
Kid, 11 years old May 28, 2010

really good

it isnt that bad all the games are good portal isnt violent just for kids who like games like these
Teen, 16 years old Written bypietro the pyro April 9, 2008

Great game, pure pwnage.

The Orange Box is a fantasterrific compilation of games, hands down. Have not started on Half-Life just yet, but Team Fortress 2 is freekin fantastical, and downright fun. It gives you a great sense of fulfillment, watching someone explode from a couple of bullets.Check with the itty bitties to make sure the violence isen't too explicit for their age group, though. Portal is a great addition as well. It scores points in the intelligence section cuz of its strategy, and CS will enjoy its lack of gore. And really, who dosen't like a game with shelves of chocolate cake at the end?
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2016

All great games!

Half Life 2: Some chapters, such as the ravenholm chapter may be disturbing to younger kids as zombies ARE enemies in the levels, but overall a great narrative, and the dictatorship of earth (very 1984-like) is great discussion material for your kids. Portal: Some blood when you are shot by turrets, a bit of dark humor, if you can't handle blood a good alternative is Portal 2 (rated E10+) Team Fortress 2: I play this game A LOT. The only thing some people talk about is the fact that blood and exploding bodies run rampid, but the blood is orange and it's all pretty cartoony, so if you have a mature kid it will make a great present. (Team Fortress 2 is free now)
Teen, 13 years old Written byyeahImaBrony164 July 13, 2016

just fine

OK, this review is mainly for the team fortress 2 portion. The amount of violence is fine, but I recommend you have a mic and a mature player for multiplayer. Team fortress 2 is a strategic and well- thought shooter, so you want a mature person behind the computer. Someone who knows what they're doing and how to do it. Or else people WILL get mad. You just want someone mature for online interactions. But on the bright side, if your child knows what he's doing, he'll be learning strategy and social skills.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe teen alan January 25, 2016

Great game

First of all Xbox raits it T and its not to bad tf2 is the one to look out for even thought it's cartoonist its very violent it points out your body parts when you explode and such the rest are good for tweleve and up PS half life sends a few good messages pps you can chat in tf2
Teen, 15 years old Written bysoldier November 23, 2015

team fortress 2

I think It has lessons like teamwork it helps your kids become social
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamNelson October 11, 2015

The bare bones of the Orange Box

Everyone should know that the box comes with FIVE games. Half Life 2, Half Life 2 episode 1, Half Life 2 episode 2, Portol, and Team Fortress 2. Half Life 2 is vary confusing for me and not as scary. Episode 1 is more scary and intense violent seens. Episode 2 is the most bluddy thing I've ever seen. Portol is an egication based game. And Team Fortress 2 is war. Now back to Portal . Your a test subject in a lab. A first person syfy shooter without you killing a human. Your trying to escape the hell like lab with your life. Team Fortress 2 is a game where you choose a war class and enter a battle arena and depending on what team your on you kill the other members in a bluddy and cartoonish way. And I'm not explaining half life 2. ITS NOT FOR ANY AGE LIMIT.
Teen, 14 years old Written by110Percent September 3, 2015

Team Fortress 2

I'd like to mention that Team Fortress 2 (commonly shortened to "tf2") has not only violence, but blood as well. If a player is hit by explosives, pieces of that player are going to fly everywhere. There are also weapons such as flamethrowers, knives, and rocket launchers that can seem a little unsettling if you're not prepared. There is also a tad bit of alcohol and drugs. One of the main characters (or "classes") is a drunk, which is brought up several times in the game, one of his weapons being a bottle of an alcoholic beverage (I think it's rum, but I'm not sure). A few other classes tend to smoke cigars or cigarettes, and do so frequently throughout the game. Another small issue is that one character tends to mention that he sleeps with another character's mother (not players, the actual character in the game), which could be a little confusing/inappropriate for kids. Overall, this game has some themes that parents won't initially like, but the game is packed with fun and customization that players will love.
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2015

Team Fortress 2 is a gory, cartoonish but very fun Shooter

Gallons of blood, gore and severed body parts, but not meant to be taken seriously.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfrozen hater101 April 8, 2015

team fortress 2 half life

Not violent unless if your kids make it I know what violence is and your kids should know that too