All parent member reviews for Halo 3

Adult Written bymirushominus June 27, 2009

It almost appears that Marc did not play Halo 3 at all, or at best is extremely unobservant

While reading the "What parents need to know" (I am currently trying to find a good reviewing site for games and movies I have not played) section of the review on Halo 3 it struck me that Marc was very wrong on a few points, and this may cause kids to miss out. First, Marc said: "Throughout the game, players shoot aliens AND HUMANS. You DO NOT shoot humans* in the campaign. It is possible, but if you do the marines attack you, as you are not supposed to attack them. ...and they'll see vivid images with blood. While playing campaign on Halo, if you shoot an alien, there is blood. Blue/Green blood, and that actually doesn't just pour out after you finish shooting. Also, there is zero dismembering/actual damage to dead bodies. And know that when the Halo games are played online, players can communicate -- and curse -- via headsets. Depending on your gamer zone on xbox live, there is generally very little swearing. But, if you so wish you may mute players (only to yourself) in games, or simply plug in a headset and turn the speech volume off. *Actually, in multiplayer, you do by default play as a human (albeit, a human in a suit that you only know is a human, there is no face, just metal) but if you so wish you can turn into one of the aliens (Sangheili, or Elites to be exact, the Arbiter is an example of this species, they have defected to humanities side) and fight that way. For overprotective parents who fear xbox live like a dangerous animal, you do not have to play on xbox live to play multiplayer, or the game at all. Also, as long as your child does not act stupid, no one will ever be able to access their real name, location, phone number, email address (phone number and email are needed to register for xbox live, but are not shown to the public) or even what they sound like. If you seriously look at the characters of Halo 3, you will find numerous good role models. Even John 117, Master Chief Petty officer, the soldier whose face is never shown, is extremely dedicated to the service of humanity. He is courteous, and many times goes out of his way and puts himself in danger to rescue his friends, in particular Sergeant Johnson. Parents, almost every concern you have about Halo 3 will be dispelled upon actually investigating by playing the game and reading about it yourself. If it weren't for a very few uses of b***ard and b**ch Halo 3 would be rated teen.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byprotectiveparent93 July 5, 2010

It's not bad at all

This site has to be the most inaccurate site I have ever seen in my life. The main character, Master Chief, is a spartan who is trying to protect the planet Earth from the Flood, a spore, virus like species, that is spreading through the galaxy and must be stopped. In the Halo ODST review on this site, it stated that the human race never tried to pursue less violent means of settling this. I was astounded. The Flood is a mindless race of aliens that are attempting to wipe out the human race. There are no agreements. It is the human race's final stand to protect planet earth. Now on to the concerns. Throughout this game, there is blood coming from aliens that is either purple, blue, or green. There is no gore. The violence is no worse than Star Wars (or something along the lines of that). And honestly, if your kid hasn't heard "D**n" or something like that, you must have him under high protection. And chances are, he's heard it from you. This game should be rated "T" for Teen.
Adult Written byninjagamedad February 9, 2010

For ages 11 and older.

Now I'm not saying it's for little kids or anything, but it doesn't deserve the M rating. It has content similar to Shadow the Hedgehog, an E-10 rated game. The blood and gore look like someone shot a glowstick and it splattered against a wall. The language is what I heard in the fifth grade. Your kid might feel jealeous of his friends that get to play it while he gets left out. The game is extremely fun, and deserves a T rating. I hope you let your 11 year old play this, any younger and that's just bad parenting.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byNicyms September 8, 2010

How the game is

I think its a great game. It is true though about the violence but boys have fun with games like that.Although its like that its very unreal and kids wouldnt get any bad ideas from playing this game.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymjdtherealdeal June 23, 2010

Halo is just a great game to play with your kids

This is a great game and is really fun to get some aggression out with your kid. We smile and laugh through the whole thing. I really like it a lot. It is a great game.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byProtecter April 26, 2010

Well made game best for 12 and older

My 12 year old child has this game at first I was very against it but after calling a friend about the game I realized it may not be as bad as I thought.When I bought it for him on his 12th birthday I watched him play it I have NO idea how this is M apart from violence the game should definately be T no doubt about it hardly anything bad at all.Now I even play it with my son.This is my favorite games I have ever played.
Adult Written byBMU September 25, 2009

Overhyped M rating dilutes the entire rating system purpose

The much-vaunted M rating is a good example of why many parents disregard the rating system completely. Media hysteria causing lumping Halo 3 in the same category as the GTA games or even Half-Life 2 series dilutes the entire purpose of a rating system, bringing us back to square one with confused parents who let their kids play anything. My kids (7 and 10) play Halo 3, they do not play GTA or HL2, for example. This game is a great bonding opportunity since if features split-screen co-op, one of only a handful of titles that do. It's brought many enjoyable hours to our household. BUT I only let them play it after I'd played it myself, and the first time through, I played it with them. As always, parents should exercise judgment: I'm pretty sure the near-cartoonish mock-violence is not going to turn my two into serial killers. (Who believes that anyway?) Final note: I'm talking about offline play only. I don't believe my 10 year old should be venturing into the online wilderness for a good few years yet.
Adult Written byFamilyman15 September 10, 2010

TThis game is not bad. You can only see the blood for like one second and the gore is cheesy and only in the story.The language is nothing young kids wont see on Tv (this website is wrong, it never says sh-t). Kids may hear other players cuss on Xboxlive but it can be muted, and kids should know not to talk to strangers.Plus if someone does swear, they can be booted of Xbox live for 2 months. Obviously you still wouldnt let a three- year-old play it, but if you dont let a tween play it, he feel left out because all of his friends probably play it. So go out and buy that game for your kid if hes over 7, cause its fun and not bad.
Adult Written bytompov227 November 26, 2011

Good, but...

Truth is yes it is violent, but its animated violence that--with proper supervision and understanding--should be no threat to a mature teen. Parents need to stop blocking everything from their kids and learn to expose them to things at a healthy pace and to be there so they know what is right and wrong or else they'll enter the world blind and have nothing to go by.
Adult Written byandystar444 May 7, 2010

i dont think this is for kids
Parent Written byyesssssssss September 24, 2011

Great game

I have 2 sons, a 16 year old and a 9 year old, and I let them play this game. There is mild language, involving the d word and the occasional h word.There is alot of blood but most of it is blue and you are not supposed to kill humans unless you are online or on 2 player.
Adult Written byUltimateHaloFan September 5, 2010

it deppends

This is a game where you shoot aliens but no people. The aliens are violent and may be disturbing to some kids. There is quite a spill of blood but 90% of it is alien blood. It is blue green, orange, and sometimes red. when u shoot the certain aliens that have red blood there is ALOT! when you shoot a dead PERSON blood flies out and dripps on the ground. You can also kill your own guys and there will be blood. You can also go up to aliens and whack them with your gun, or hammer. There is alot of H*LL. I mean ALOT! you almost always hear what the H*LL. *ssh*ole is used. And so is Sh*t a couple times. B**tards is used maybe about 15 times in the game. Son of a B*t*h is used only once or twice. D*MN is used quite a bit... D*MN the aliens! is yelled a couple few times. I WAANNA SHOOT IM IN A REAL BAD MOOD! is used sometimes, angrily. die Die DIE! is used alot angrily too. If you go on Xbox Live with a headset you CERTANLY will hear the F word ALOT! and other curse words. The violence is not that intense either. But it mostly just depends on your kids' attitudes. If your kids run around the house cursing and screaming DIE!!!! don't get this game for them
Adult Written byFiggy66 July 25, 2010

Ok for 7 plus

Barley any blood mild swearing let your kids play if theve seen star wars let them play. Great multiplayer.
Adult Written byProVolcom214 April 9, 2008

If 'Mature' refers to a child's ability to decipher reality from fiction...

The game was great, and the multiplayer options definitely increase reflexes and focus. I'm a lawyer now, but majored in psychology and have a son that's 6 years old and I don't restrict what he plays by the ESRB ratings. I feel that a game isn't likely to be the cause of a child growing up to be a hardened criminal. As long as your child is able to draw the line between reality and fiction, you shouldn't restrict them from what they play because chances are they have a friend with parents that won't restrict their child's gaming, and in turn, your child will pick up on it regardless. At least if you're monitoring their gaming, you'll have more control.
Adult Written byCleverNickname April 9, 2008

Exellent game, highly over-hyped, not NEARLY violent enough to be rated M..

In my own humble opinion, this game does NOT IN ANY WAY DESERVE TO BE RATED "M". Case in point: On the back of the box it says, underneath "M": Violence, Blood and Gore, MILD language. I'll tackle the first one first. 1. Violence: The violence in this game is lighter, MUCH lighter that a "T" rated game I've heard of called "Call of Duty 2". That game is far more violent and bloody than Halo, and IT got a T rating? 2. Blood and Gore: The blood you see for 95 percent of single player is a veritable RAINBOW of colors, blue, purple, white, orange for god's sake... Also, for gore, the only time I have EVER seen gore in a Halo game is when I kill a flood form, they esplode and have small, non-human looking bits of body. NOT BLOODY. 3.Mild Language: The worst language EVER heard in a single player (multiplayer DOES have swearing though, I have to admit...) is: s**t. My mom swears more constantly, and more extremely than that, all right? This game should have been rated T.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bymotherof5 March 31, 2011

great game for 11+!!

if your considering this game for your child... its great!!! it teaches them war strategies tactics. blood be a problem for 10 and under but there is very little. one of the only reasons i got my son this game is because if he ever has to go into war it will teach him how to survive. pretty good game :)
Parent of a 12 year old Written byJake G. March 6, 2010

Perfect for kids 13+

Ok so I love this game. It is very fun (to me any ways) but I am 38. My son Andrew wants to play this game very badly, but he is only 12. I think this game is good for 13 year olds so I will let him play it when he turns 13. I find it weird that parents say this is to violent, well guess what, It isn't! Yes there is some blood but it doesn't spew out like in many other first person shooter game. My only concern is the language. There are "hell"'s, "damb"'s, and "sh-t"'s. No "f--k"'s.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byElmer F. October 5, 2009

Okay for mature tweens.

Parents, I know you think this is a extremely violent and gory game, but it's not. Halo 3 tells a story of courage and bravery, as you play as a soldier trying to ward off an alien invasion. Many people in it are sacrificing everything they have, so why CSM hates this game is beyond me. The violence isn't too bad. You're fighting aliens with multiclored blood, and I don't know what ESRB meant by gore. The Indiana Jones movies are 3 times as gory.Half the time you're using Star Wars type weapons. The language is just a bit of moderate cursing nothing that bad. Overall, if you were to make this into a movie, it would be pg-13. The violence isn't graphic or gory, and all the role models and messenges are very good.
Adult Written byBigK75 September 16, 2009

Should have been rated T

People complain that there is too much blood and gore in Halo. It's fake. Get over it. And from what I remember, I didn't see all that much blood in Halo 3. There were quite a few curse words however. There is a lot of violence. I think teens could handle this game. They are mature enough to handle the violence. I guarantee you no one in their right mind will go off to kill someone just because they played this game. Teens know that. A good game. Teens can play it. The end SIDE NOTE: What is this? "You're a hero trying to save the world from a malevolent alien race, but you do it by using extreme force." If a bunch of hostile aliens are trying to kill us off, what are you going to do, sit down and have dinner with them? NO, you're going to fight them off. Not to mention this is a VIDEO GAME. Not a diplomatic simulator.
Adult Written bymisterman November 17, 2008

you stupid people !!!!!!!!!!!!

HALO HAS ONLY BLOOD BUT IT IS BLUE OR GREEN NO LANGAUGE AND YOU CAN MUTE IT !!!!!!