Parent reviews for Halo: Combat Evolved

This sci-fi shooter with loads of violent killing of aliens.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byA.I. March 26, 2011
This is a great game. I have a kid who loves it, and even better, i let him get this instead of black ops, hahaha. do yourself a favor parents, this is your answer to black ops, assassins creed, and deadspace.

Educational Value
Adult Written byZlegziz B. October 21, 2018

fun game

its great graphics to be 2001
Adult Written byprotectivefather123 April 9, 2008

This is a great game for kids 11-12

Okay, i am a very protective father. I let my son by the first halo, and i watched him play, and it was not as bad as people say it is. I hear my friends saying "Oh, this is a terrible game never let your children play this." Please don't believe anything you hear.
Parent of a 12-year-old Written byMAChafey March 24, 2021

Great game

Best ever.

Adult Written byNintendofan124 August 28, 2019
Adult Written byBlazer815 June 30, 2019

Good for 8 year olds

I played this game with my 15 year old cousin and I observed the game well while playing and heard little to no cussing nothing your kid won’t hear in middleschool

Adult Written byThis dude May 12, 2019

Second hand copies have been circling High and Middle Schools.

This landmark title may have need released over ten years ago; but the franchise it created is still relevant, and since the game is now abandon ware (no retailer is selling it). The game has seen somewhat of a resurrection in recent day through the use of second hand distribution. Some teenagers have been copying the PC version of the game on flash drives and distributing the copies to friends so they can play it on school computers (or just take it home and install it on their own PC). So while this game is far from new, your young ones might still run into it.

The violence in this game is not terribly graphic; but it is constant, with the few quiet moments between battles only serving to raise tension. The player fights hoards of different alien creatures, using both standard firearms and science fiction weapons like laser pistols. Different aliens have different colored blood which will spray out of them when shot, coating their environments. Similar effects ensue with humans when they are injured. The player is never instructed to kill humans during the campaign (although they still can); but during multiplayer matches (the reason most teens play this at school) the violence is exclusively human vs human. There are some zombie like enemies which will break apart as they are shot; as well as a race of carnivorous insects that will pile onto their victims and devour them.

There is very little actual sexuality in the game; the only exception being one AI character, who takes the form of a translucent naked woman with no genitals.

There are some minor cusses, but nothing you wouldn't hear in a PG movie.

The story doesn't really offer many positive morals since it is relatively simplistic. Future installments in the franchise would become more story driven, but as far as this one goes there's not much there. Towards the end of the game the plot does raise some questions about weather or not it is right for the military to willingly sustain casualties in the name of strategic advantages, but that's the only real theme explored.

Adult Written byheduith February 1, 2019

Good game

I've really only experienced multiplayer so I will have little info about the game so lets get to the game it has one of the best communities i've ever experienced
Parent of a 18+-year-old Written bySircjalot October 9, 2018

The best halo game in my opinion. The graphics has aged in certain areas but for a 2001 game, some of the graphics and the scenery still holds up!

Like any M rated shooters, there's lots of bloody shooting action. Though most of the time you are killing aliens. The aliens blood can be green or blue, which makes the game less gruesome. But for the humans being injured or killed in battle, they will squirt out huge amounts of blood! You have the free will to kill your teammates if you choose so "but there is no reason for you." The floods are the scariest and most intense part of the game! These alien creatures will kill anyone (includes humans and other aliens) and uses the corpse body as a host. The body will be deformed, and it will stop at nothing to kill you. Older teens could handle it, but the content here will probably frighten the little one's. This game contains no sexual themes! The swearing here is not as bad as other M rated games, but still, cussing is prevalent throughout this game. words such as H*ll, d**m, and some b**tard, son of a B****, S****, and a few uses of the F word. Though there is some bloody scenes, most of it are from the aliens. Halo combat evolved is more of a softer M rated game. But it is still not appropriate for children!

Adult Written bycharmedVirus July 23, 2018

It's whatever

There isn't much wrong with it. Yeah, it's a bit of a difficult game to play for kids but I played this with my brother since I was.. five, I would say. I didn't mind the cursing, my only problem with it was the zombie like "popcorn" (what I have called them, a way for my dad to calm me down). I'm ranting, my point is the biggest problem is they curse a bit. Nothing too bad, though.
Adult Written byJames B. February 15, 2018
Adult Written byjon K. October 14, 2017

bloody but pretty good

I was at my cousins house and saw his daughter playing this. I saw her shooting an alien in the face and blood got on the wall. it was bad but was nothing compared to when she hit a taller alien that was blue with the butt of her gun a large amount of purple blood gushed out of the alien followed by pitiful screams. I told my cousin about this and he instead of letting his four year old daughter play it he loaned it to me. I played thru the whole game and this is what I found. blood spatters and gets on walls and floors when you shoot someone or an alien. you can shoot or blow tiny chunks off of aliens and and people that or I'm wrong and its just aliens. in the first level you will find dead body's and injured people on the ground with a puddle of blood around them also you can shoot and hit your crew and team mates and on the second level you can shoot and hit survivors. and if you hurt or kill a team mate red blood will get on the walls and floor. the language is a little rude and inappropriate but not to bad. and I have made a list of the wards they say. damn ass crap bitch bastard hell I think I heard a usage of the ward dick once shit and I think that's it. the graphics are not that good so the violence is not that bad.
Parent Written byHalo Let's Play S. September 29, 2017

Halo Sense

My 10 year old plays this Halo game all the time! I played it too and it is VERY bloody in campaign but you can always turn off blood and blue let holes (for some reason, they are put together) and the multiplayer isn't bad! But there is little language and the flood may be scary for some little kids. All in all, it is one of my favorite games (Halo 2 anniversary is the best).

Adult Written byEnclave May 2, 2017
Parent of a 12-year-old Written byryc July 27, 2015

Halo: Combat Evolved

My son is a big Halo fan! He asked me plenty of times if he can get it. I didn't know if it was appropirate, so he showed me some videos online and looked fine! My son is 12 years old and the only reason I selected this as 12 and up is because there is very infrequent language such as "What the h*ll" Also "Lets shake up these b*stards!"

Adult Written byyesyousaidmorta... June 28, 2015

Fine

I play this game at 8 its very good and very graphic there is no crude content in the game.

Adult Written byHonestReviewSam March 22, 2012

Great Game

Halo is an excellent game. Great environments, widely-varied weapons, and a great story all come together and it's awesome. I suppose it is a little violent but its really not nearly as bad or graphic as everyone and their uncle makes it out to be (remember that it is a GAME, a metaphor for problem solving and real time reaction skills, not real life). Really the biggest issue for me is the language. You hear d**n, h*ll, b**ch, and a*s sprinkle in the background dialog and in cutscenes. While not anywhere close to being gratuitous in this area, I still think that it should be noted. (I suppose my real issue here is with the ESRB) One final note on the violence is that it's all for a good cause. An alien alliance known as the Covenant are trying to wipe out humanity down the last man, woman, and child and it's basically up to you to stop them from getting control of Halo or finding Earth.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bydtsa78cfgs9rovw June 3, 2011

bloody but not gory

this halo is the most violent of all the halo games; when you hit an alien blood sprays out. despite this, halo is a grreat game for preteens who can handle fantasy violence

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byParentAdvisor May 17, 2011

Iffy Iffy

My kid is 11 and really wants to play it. I say it's iffy to the point where he can be mature enough. Right now, he is, but I can't promise your 11 year old is. He plays it at home on his Xbox. Even though I do NOT let him play the other and newer Halo games such as Halo Reach or Halo 3, I let him play this "older one". Anyways, it is very iffy but parents make the decision. Also, you can go online (Multiplayer) and there can be some bad screen names. Such as, I was walking by in the kitchen and saw an opponent screen name's "Yellow-F**ker" And such sexual content people can use. But you dont see it much.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written bycarter0617 March 23, 2011

review

this is one of the first halos so the graohics are not that good wich means that the volience is not that bad but there is blood and a little bit of swearing but not a lot if i where to let my kids play any of the halo games this one would be it because all of the other ones have more swearing and more volience