Parent reviews for Hello Neighbor

Stealth horror game has some cheap scares, lots of problems.

Parent of a 7 and 8-year-old Written byGladstoneMum November 12, 2018

Concerned about the premise of this game

Mr 8 talked a lot about this game it before actually playing it. He played rip offs of the game on ROBLOX and minecraft and saw it reviewed on YouTube etc. I decided to let him have a go at the game when it became available on iOS and we have only played the first free act but he is very keen to buy the next two acts. However, the whole premise of this game concerns me, and it’s not just the concept of breaking into your neighbours house. Just what is supposed to be happening at the start with the screaming female voice, locking of a door etc? Why the black rubber gloves? As an adult the obvious explanations are very disturbing. Maybe I am overthinking this but it seems wildly inappropriate to me for a game being idolised by primary age school kids. If you want to problem solve and have jump scares much better options are available such as the Goosebumps games.
Parent of a 10-year-old Written byAdam Schoenwald July 14, 2018

Some Content may not be suitable for younger players

So this game is not what you would think from the title. It's definitely a game where parents of children under 12 probably should supervise by playing together.

There is no active violence that goes on in a typical survival horror game, but there is some imagary that my lead to suggestive violence that occurred in the game. The whole premiss is to find out what you neighbor is hiding and that alone has suggestive thoughts. When he sees you he instantly grabs you?? Normal, not really, scary you play as a kid and being locked up in his house. Probably not something very healthy to have running in a child's head. There are tons of puzzle to escape and find out what your crazy neighbor is up to...and because of the jump scares, this game may not be suitable for young players. There is no language, gore, sex, or drug reference in the play through, but there is plenty of weird stuff going on that leads you to think something isn't right.

Aside from breaking and entering, the weird neighbor throwing things at you, the game is okay. It has it's issues with glitches both with things failing to spawn to solve the puzzle to the neighbor getting stuck and that can be frustrating. I don't think it's worth the money, as there are better games out there, but if your intentions are to get spooked with out tons of inappropriate violence and gore this game may be for you.
Parent of a 12-year-old Written byWHATaHELPme September 17, 2019

Buggy and some disturbing elements, but overall, a good play.

Title says it all. Expensive, though.
$15 on iPhone and Android and about $25 on Steam.

Adult Written byderk456 December 22, 2018

Very apporite

I think this game will be amazing for kids over the age of 8 because it is cartoon and everyone thinks the concept of breaking into someone’s house is bad, but really you just enter the front door. This game can jumpscare but my 5 year old didn’t find it scary. For other parents that are looking for a reasonable answer here it is. This game is amazing for kids and it’s not like call of duty or assassins creed. When you enter your neighbors house the don’t break in he lets you in and that’s why I think it is subtle for kids over the age of 5. I hope you let your kids play this game it is the best (I even play it and in 44) thank you bye bye now.

Adult Written byBob the fries June 16, 2018

Hello neighbour

The creepy story of the neighbour. This game is plain out funny. I once got the neighbour stuck in a WALL XD

Adult Written bynoebatmancool November 11, 2020

Hello neighbor is totally fine for kids 7 and over

It has a little bit of violence but I think it is actually a pretty good game.

Adult Written bystirct parent December 4, 2019

Really Good Game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written byLuis gabriel September 29, 2018
Adult Written byrjaffeux November 22, 2018

Promotes stealing

They steal from people and then the owner chases them out the house. Seems funny to adults but teaches stealing and being chased.

Adult Written byCowgd May 31, 2020

Fun game

It is not good for children under 9

Adult Written byJim C. December 7, 2019

this game is fine for 6 year olds

I think its 6 and up cause there is no blood no swearing if you let your kid play minecraft they should be fine to play this.
Adult Written byNJLM November 7, 2019

Game is a game

This game is based on my personal opinion (as I am a strict parent.) I let my daughter play it in on our laptop when she wants (she is 7.) In my personal opinion, she does get her frustrated because they can't figure out how to get into certain areas. So, which in turn makes the child use problem solving skills (without them knowing it.) Memory skills as well; (finding objects such as certain colored keys for certain doors to open locks, or umbrella to get from one area without falling.) So, all in all not a bad game, but when kids get too frustrated and don't have patience, not the game for them.
Adult Written bynoshow October 27, 2019

fun, fast paced, but repetitive, prequel for 13 and over.

This review is for the full version of the game, and for the prequel. (also full version). Don't get me wrong I love hello neighbor and hello neighbor hide and seek, but the first game get's kinda repetitive, but hide and seek, is just more fun, but the story is dark, so if you haven't played the game here are spoilers. there is no talking in the game.

The parents of the two kid's in hide and seek go fora drive, the mother dies, which makes Mr. Peterson (aka the neighbor) get's depressed, and so does the son, Aaron, you/ Maya play hide and seek with him, each game getting darker and darker, until Aaron accedentaly kills Maya, making Mr.Peterson more angry then upset. He shoves Aaron in the basement, while you, Nicky Roth friend of Aaron sees this, He tries to uncover the truth, by going into the basement. And gets locked inside his property. He escapes. 16 years later he still gets anxiety about what happened as a kid. He moves back home and confronts the shadow monster. He went to sleep to have to face the neighbor again, except his house is 10 bigger and is riddled to the brim with puzzles, he unlocks the door that held secrets, confronting the giant neighbor as a boss. he defeats him then fights the shadow monster and defeated it. (the giant neighbor represents secrets, while the shadow represents fear/trauma/depression). He wakes up happy, and moves in. also if you want to know more of the story, there are three books about the game.
Parent of a 8-year-old Written by11junio1988 December 15, 2018

Adult Written byCautionCookie October 1, 2018

Satirical game contains moderate violence

This game tends to contain moderate violence and horror, inclusive of jumpscares and stealth. May cause nightmares.

Adult Written byDownwardsunshine July 26, 2018

No objectionable content

My six year old plays this game. There is no sexy, nudity, cursing, blood, gore m, violence etc. there are jump scares that would frighten some children. You have to know your child. Mine stopped watching paw patrol and the like at 3 because it was too babyish.... I monitored his play and asked repeatedly if he was scared and the answer was always a laugh and a loud no.

Adult Written byPoop June 6, 2021
Adult Written byunderaged April 23, 2020
expensive
full version

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byKirito_Cat April 11, 2020

Not to be that person

Hello neighbor is surprisingly inappropriate an old man locks a young girl in his basement and locks you in too really tense and hard your need to be smart and patient the Ai is really smart and is a perfect example of a pedo not sexual but has themes not for a young child also young children may not have the qualities I listed thank you the game is fine but be wary
Adult Written byamrojaradat1 September 28, 2019