Kid reviews for Hello Neighbor

Stealth horror game has some cheap scares, lots of problems.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBEYONDTHECUBE December 24, 2018

Great game with great storyline!

If you like puzzle themed games then you will love this game. Although it is a kid-like game (there is barely any violence/horror) there is a VERY dark and sad storyline hidden behind the game. It took me a full month of constant gameplay to get through the entire game.btw, the lock pick is behind the back fence of the neighbor’s house, and it will unlock any lock that you wish...
Teen, 13 years old Written byThekrustgamer April 2, 2021

Kind of buggy and incomplete, but still good overall.

The only reason I rated this 4 stars is because it is kind of short, buggy, and partially incomplete. I still would strongly recommend it to anyone who likes horror puzzle games. It does require repeated trial and error to get past some puzzles though, so it may test your patience a little but most puzzles can be solved by thinking creatively.

Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2019

Not really horror

This game is said to be a stealth horror game. The game is completely child friendly except a few scenes including the Neighbor strangling someon at the beginning yet we don’t see who’s being strangled.
There are dream cutscenes throughout the first two acts which I find more weird than creepy. Also the last time I played it was glitching like mad.

Kid, 12 years old March 20, 2018
Not scary,is is also challenging.This game has many puzzles and is fun to play with friends.I dont really think this game is 9+ i think its appropriate for all ages.

Teen, 17 years old Written byR3freshR3views May 31, 2021

Very dark, it seems fine at first but then you look at the story. Good though,

Very dark storyline. The sister and wife died and the neighbor is depressed and angry and thinks it's his sons fault. The female screaming voice at the beginning while he locks the door wearing glove, is actually his son who's locked up because the neighbor is mad at him because he thinks that his son is the reason his wife and daughter died. It gets darker throughout the acts, talking about depression and anxiety and the power of it. In the prequel it talks about the brother and sisters relationship and how the brother eventually went crazy because his mom died and he was sad and confused and he accidentally pushed his sister off the roof. It ends with his face of regret as the sister is falling to her death. Kinda dark, right?

Kid, 11 years old December 5, 2020

Worst concept & mislead Young minds

The name of the Game (Hello Neighbor) absolutely contradicts the content of the game(Stealing Neighbor).
Why such concept of game being encouraged in the society and instill such a crude ideas/thoughts into innocent kids mind. I am sure some part of their kids mind would assume that it’s ok to such stealing,disturbing neighbor in real life. Poor content and idea. Never encourage such games esp for younger kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAnormalgamer707 September 18, 2019

This game is absolutely amazing

First off I have to say that I’m not a YouTube streamer. And second of all you really only realize that the main character is a good role model after reading the books, and yes I recommend you read the books. I can also say that despite the fact that I’m not a YouTuber this game is really fun to play the puzzles are great, and the neighbor despite being hard to avoid wasn’t annoying. The game has three levels and two basements to explore. It is also worth mentioning that the last level is a dream. The puzzles can be annoying so I recommend using a guide for this, but other than that I recommend this game WITH THE BOOKS.

Teen, 15 years old Written byThe_Serpant_King January 26, 2021

Why Iike Hello Neighbor

People may say Hello neighbor is a bad game just because "It was made in Russia". Well I beg a differ. Parents, listen to me when I say that Hello Neighbor is not a evil game. It;s a great game for kids who have parents that do not let them play chat games. There are no drugs what so ever and no sex. There are very little english words in it and the only violance is the beartraps. So thats why I say that Hello Neighbor is not a bad game. The only bad thing for parents is that little kids might constantly ask how to do somthing.

Kid, 10 years old January 25, 2021

Jump Scares

Hello Neighbour is a really scary game. You have to find things and sneak into a house that is really creepy without being caught by an angry man. It should be for kids that are a least 15 years old because there a jump scares.

Teen, 13 years old Written by1Oaktree2 January 7, 2021

A bit buggy, and creepy

Now, it is obvious that little children, aged 7-9 have been attracted to this game by family YouTube gamers, HobbyKidsTV, FGTeeV, Puppet Steve ect ect... The concept of the game is pretty disturbing, a kidnapper who is concealing the death of his daughter and mother, and the disappearance of his son. You play as a small child who has witnessed Mr. Peterson locking a screaming child in his cellar. You have to break into his house and find out what is in his cellar, only to get kidnapped yourself. It is mildly disturbing when you are kidnapped, or caught by the neighbour. In Chapter 3, you will continuously see a creepy figure known as "The Shadow Man" and you also will have to protect your past self from being killed by a giant Shadow Man, there are slightly scary sound clips of your past-self screaming.
There is no graphic content or swearing, but the game is full of glitches

Teen, 14 years old Written bySoulEater_Evans15 September 3, 2020

GREAT GAME!!!!!

A great puzzle/horror game! It hasn't glitched on me AT ALL, but I know it does for some people. A very difficult game, to beat it requires a Google or Youtube search first. A few things to be wary of though:

Number 1: The whole point of the game is to break into your neighbors house to find out what he's up to. At the start of the game, you're running by your neighbor's house, and you hear a high pitched voice screaming. Then the neighbor is shoving someone/something into a closet and he grabs you whenever he catches you.

Number 2: The neighbor. He's a really creepy guy, with an evil mustache, crazy eyes, and wears black gloves. And the game plays creepy music when he's near.

Number three: The basement is terrifying. It's huge and dark and has freaky mannequins posted in random spots. You have to fight the neighbor in act 3, where he grows to a giant size, and you have to fight a monster in the finale, which can be frightening.

Number 4: The back story. What happened is that the neighbor's wife died in a car crash, then the son, Aaron gets mad at his little sister, and accidentally pushes her off a roof, killing her. the neighbor then locks his son in the basement.

Number 5: The puzzle are pretty hard. Like I said, you'll probably need a tutorial and/or several weeks to beat it.
Hope this was helpful! :D

Kid, 8 years old March 23, 2019

WHAT THE FLIP ITS AMAZING!!!!!!

OMG I LOVE THIS GAME AND IN THE SETTINGS THERES A BUTTON THAT SAYS FRIENDLY MODE WHICH MAKES LESS AGGRESIVE I LOVE THIS FLIPPING GAME!!!!!!!!

Kid, 12 years old February 15, 2019

Not too bad!

It is really not that bad. It has cheap jumpscares. It may have some creepy things in it like the Shadow Figures, but other than that it's not that scary. The story is sad though. This may be spoilers, Not sure lol. The neighbors name the Theodore Peterson. He had a Wife and Two kids. They got in a car accident. It was just him and his wife in the care, and The wife passed. The neighbor became very sad and depressed. Then, The brother accidentally pushes the sister off the roof of their house. I don't know what happened to the brother. It's like he gave up on everything. He became grumpy and angry. He even has "666" on the bottom of his shoes. I'd say, Don't play if you are sensitive and I mean very sensitive to scares.

Kid, 11 years old January 12, 2019

Not really scary.

The neighbor doesn’t really jump scare you. I am playing this on mobile, and I get a black circle shaking around my screen to indicate the neighbor is here, which makes me aware and not get scared, and when he catches me, he just grabs me, and he doesn’t scream at me to scare me unlike some other horror games. There is no blood, no sexual content, slight violence is there when you can shoot at the neighbor with a gun to slow him down, and you can throw stuff at the neighbor.
Teen, 13 years old Written byperidot man December 31, 2018

I think that kids will find the full version a little confusing.

Teen, 14 years old Written byelliepup June 12, 2021

Puzzle/Horror game has a good premise but fails to deliver

Hello Neighbor is a game that has been through many changes, going from the spooky, dark mood of Alpha 1 to the warped, colourful mess of the final version. The game has a good enough premise that keeps the player/viewer interested; what is in the neighbor's basement? In order to find out, you'll have to solve multiple puzzles and avoid the neighbor. The game's style of escape room puzzle and a creepy protaganist may remind you of games such as Granny which it is but on a much larger scale. However, this game is quite clunky. The neighbor's A.I is a bit messy and you'll hear the words 'box stacking' as a complaint. In the game, you'll have to make a tower of boxes to reach certain things and it can be very frustrating. As I have said, the game has changed a lot from it's first Alpha. And you'd be right in thinking that as progress was made and more Alpha's were being produced that the games quality would increase, but this is not the case. The lighting is best in the first Alpha and I much prefer the more realistic tone of the first Alpha than the almost cartoonish tone of later versions. The developer can use any style they want but in my personal opinion the Loony Toons style house of later Alphas don't create the creepy feeling I want in a horror video game. The abstract, wonky, colourful nature of the neighbors house could be sybolism or to make you feel like your in a twisted version of reality which could work. As for violence, there isn't much if any. When the neighbor catches you, he awkwardly runs into you as you respawn in front of the house. From what I know, there is no bad language. It could be interesting for some but it doesn't feel as fun and creepy as it used to be.
Kid, 11 years old May 15, 2021

Awesome Game, Mild Jumpscares, Lots of Glitches

OK, let me start off by saying that this game is downright amazing! The only reason I gave it a 4 star rating instead of 5 is because of all the glitches. But I'll get into that later. So, Hello Neighbor is a stealth-horror game about sneaking into your neighbor's house and uncovering the secrets in his basement. There are bad messages such as breaking into his house, also at the beginning of the game you see the neighbor strangling someone, then locking them in his basement. There are disturbing screams coming from the victim, especially in Act 3. The neighbor also wears rubber gloves. Okay, gameplay. You are controlling Nicky Roth in a first person view, so everything feels more real. But, the games graphics are cartoonish and funny, so it doesn't really capture horror as much as some other games do. There are a lot of fun puzzles to solve, all while avoiding the neighbor. All of the controls are relatively easy to pick up. Glitches, hmm...worst part of the game. Glitches happen randomly without reason (well of course they do they're GLITCHES!) and can be very frustrating. So, example of a glitch, the train stops working no matter how many times you push the button. Another glitch is sometimes, in Act 2, the neighbor will throw glue at you, and then you will fly over the
fence and complete the Act. Scares, okay, the scares in Hello Neighbor are pretty mild, so it's not worth getting worked up over. But, there are some tense moments, so you could be sneaking up to the neighbor's house, then the loud chase music would play suddenly, making you jump, then you might get caught in that second of weakness. The neighbor has a funny but intimidating mug, which could scare some players. Also, the neighbor has a bunch of manikins lying around his house, so it could make you jump if you go into a room and a manikin is
lurking there. The violence consists of the jumpscares, the neighbor strangling that person, and you can throw stuff at the neighbor to slow him down. Well, that's it! I think it's OK for kids 9 and up because of the mild scares. I hope this helped you decide, PEACE!

Kid, 10 years old May 11, 2021

Play it when you know how to

No in app purchases, if the music freaks you out, turn the music off. Somewhat scary, this game is great when you are young, but I do not recommend hide and seek

Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Enderdrag March 31, 2021

A really good game!

This game may have some lags here and there but past all the bugs, this game is actually fun, sure throwing plates at the neighbor's face is violence (I do that all the time XD) but, it can teach kids to solve puzzles and (maybe not throw plates at neighbors). Easy controls, Throwing physics... maybe supernatural but, what I'm trying to say is, this game is really good. Parents, try this sometime maybe you might like it, (and maybe throw plates at him!)

Teen, 13 years old Written byI Play Hello Ne... March 31, 2021

It is great even for 8 year olds.

It is a great game it is not to scary I let my toddler cousin play and he loves it he is 8.