Kid reviews for Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Decent, dialogue-heavy detective story.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Teen, 13 years old Written byMister McMuffin June 20, 2013

Hotel Dusk: Room 215: Would it be okay for your kid to play?

I think that this is actually a very good game. It is quite long, so expect spend alot of time on this.

The main character, Kyle, is a businessman, also an ex-cop. He is rude and cocky time to time, but he is willing to help others. He's also looking for his ex-partner, so he's devoted to find him. He's one of the more realistic characters I have seen in games, so I enjoy playing as him. He can be somewhat a role model for teens and young adults, but not for children, as they might get confused by his behavior.

The violence is quite low. There are less then five violent scenes, if I can remember. The deaths aren't too graphic. For a 15+ hour play through, I was surprised.

Language would be a bit much for children, even if there isn't any S or F words, but teens wouldn't mind the language.

The alcohol content is probably the worst problem in this game. Kyle is a drinker, and there is a bar in the hotel. one character even gets heavily drunk, making him angry and violent.

This might bore children, as it's long, it includes long and frequent conversations and you have to move around alot in the hotel with limited change of scenery.

Okay, now for positive.

I really admire the artwork in the game. The characters in the conversations are almost like moving pencil drawings, but it really looks nice. The background are nice, because you look through Kyle's eyes while walking around, and it looks like you're actually walking through the hotel. The gameplay is interesting, because you hold the DS sideways, which isn't common, and there are quite a few different ways of interacting with the objects around you.

So think: Is your kid okay with mild swearing, and are you okay with it? Is your child willing to go with this gameplay, will (s)he get bored? Is your child okay with some violence, and knows about alcohol, and what it can do? Finally, is your child mature enough to know why the characters act as they do?

If your okay with all the content, this will be a game which you will find to enjoy, with the beautiful artwork, the moving characters and the strong plot.

Teen, 13 years old Written byUnknown7 April 9, 2012

Pause, but don't think too hard.

I've played T games before, and, though I certainly do not encourage it, language is one of the least worries I have with games. This game made me cringe, having the occasional D and A words. However, this alone shouldn't be enough to scare you away from such a good game. Everyone I've heard review this game say it is great, and I agree. The game includes some moral problems, which are solved by the main character (i.e. a young man steals a large sum of money, and the main character teaches him responsiblity). This is not too prominant, but if you are looking at this game simply for its educational value, you are looking in the wrong place. There is some violence (mainly one scene where the main character fires a gun, and then a man is shown falling--this scene appears about 7 times in the game). There is also some scenes which a young child (fair warning--her mom is missing, and I know that might by a sore topic with some) argues with her father. There is no violence, simply what you would see in a father-child movie. There are other scenes/refrences to violence, but nothing I would worry about. An issue for most parents would be the drinking. The main character is a drinker, and spends some time in the bar later in the game, as do some other characters. Perhaps the worst of this is when one of the characters gets heavily drunk and slurs his words and gets angry easily. I personally find this slightly funny, as it is rare for me to see people getting drunk in games. Nevertheless, parents who are trying to steer clear of this subject in games may not want their children to play this. I was 12 when I played this, and all I could focus on the entire game was the storyline--that's a good sign, folks.

Kid, 12 years old June 26, 2011

Tweens+

An difficult, but entertaining interactive murder mystery. They puzzles and challenges all require logic. However the plot revolves around a shooting and several other murders. THe cut scenes shown dead people lying on the ground, people being shot. Posters and a magazine show pictures of women in bikinis. Frequent usage of minor swears. But the alcohol usage is the big issue; the main character is an alcholic, scenes take place in bar, you are invited to drink with people, and more.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written bySportsChick_1 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusic rockz April 9, 2008

I don't really care 4 it

Kids my age are looking for games that are
teen rated!This is teen rated game and it
isn't to bad!You'd have to know right from
rong to really injoy tis game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Hard!

I bought this game a while ago and I don't think it's too innaporopriate. There is some violence, a few deathss, and a lot of language. The game is fun but hard, and the reading is very Heavy, Most of the game is hearing what everyone has to say and deciding what to say yourself. The rest is solving puzzles thar are fun but tough. One of the puzzles near the end (*s*p*o*i*l*e*r* *a*l*e*r*t*) I accidently figured out when I kept losing and then put it on sleep, and later opened it up to figure out that I was supposed to close the DS!(s*p*o*i*l*e*r* *o*v*e*r*). The story is a good one but very coplicated to understand. But the game is a very good one!!!