All teen and kid member reviews for Kerbal Space Program

Teen, 13 years old Written byMath02u3 October 12, 2013

Great game; worth your money.

Firstly, the negative factors. Violence may be a concern for some, due to the fact that engine malfunctions may cause explosions which kill "kerbals," who prudently populate Kerbin, the planet where the kerbals live. Kerbals are also able to fall from vehicles to death, in which there is a slight puff of smoke. Blood/gore is not represented at all. However, this game allows children to explore physics and try to reach the stars. It's not easy—just getting into orbit is a tough, intense task. But this allows for many hours of playing time. There's no multiplayer aspect, which makes sure that there's no issues with language or other factors. No purchases are "pushed" beyond getting the game; another product called "the kerbalizer" is available but strictly optional.
Kid, 10 years old March 11, 2014

Ksp: fun, good and sometimes furstrating.

this game is very fun, but your kids must not freak out that they can't do it (it took me over 20 tries to get into orbit.) you will learn some physics, yet it is still fun. currently (V.0.23.0.365, which is basicly 0.23) the touritalls are old, which don't help (will be reworked in the next update). I played it for 5 months and i have went to jool and made a moon collony (jool is a planet in the game). it is recommened to watch scott manley's videos on ksp. this game has many mods just for you to know. you want to watch before you play this game. overall this is a bad review but the game is still very fun and can be very hard.
Kid, 10 years old January 10, 2014

kerbal space program

its a fun game and i learned a lot from it
Teen, 13 years old Written byHolyTardisCordyceps March 20, 2014

Extremely Difficult, but Really Fun!

It's overall a great game, free of just about everything inappropriate, however, lots of the missions can end in catastrophic failure, causing rockets to malfunction, space stations to collide, satellites to explode, causing the deaths of kerbals (the inhabitants of the fictional planet kerbin, which is basically earth in the kerbal space program universe). No blood or gore is directly depicted, nor is death. There are no multiplayer features, making it free of swearing. Be sure to keep one thing in mind: It's an extremely difficult game. Even making a rocket or spaceplane that will leave Kerbin's atmosphere is an intense and difficult task, also orbit, let alone setting up a space station, going to the moon, or orbiting Jool (jool is one of the many planets). The learning is also good, as your child will learn physics, math, and problem solving skills.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCarson3003 October 30, 2015

Really good game

I was gifted this game back in March by a friend for buying him the game Rust a couple months prior. Since then, I have gotten about 150 hours on this game, and never had a dull moment. But being honest, this game doesn't even deserve 2 in ease of play, and with good reason. Because this game is trying to simulate actual rocket launches, albeit with advanced things such as the maneuver nodes, requires a LOT of controls. There have to be controls to control tilt and rotation of rockets, staging, thrust, EVA jet packs, RCS and SAS, and custom action groups to control engines. There are tutorials on all of this, but they are a little hard to understand and I didn't really understand maneuver nodes until I was messing around with MechJeb (A mod to the game). In all, the controls are very hard. That is the only downside I see to this game honestly. The modding community is great, when you learn how to do the different things it is super fun, there are a good amount of stock parts that come with the game and a whole lot more to come with mods, none of the mods are inappropriate (The worst one in my mind is BDarmory, a mod that adds various weapons to place on your ship, and while there is a multiplayer mod, it is designed for friends to play together and does not have an in game communication system, meaning you would have to make a steam/skype/teamspeak call to talk to anyone in the game), the developers are active, and I really can't stress enough how much mods improve the game. Also, this game does not deserve to be called violent in any way. It's so mundane it's basically not there.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPershonkey March 19, 2015

Amazing Game, but Difficult to Learn

As an avid Kerbonaut, I can attest to this game's quality. Everything - the scale, the realistic physics engine, the great community, etc. - combines to put this in my personal Top 5. I could go on and on about how much fun it is, but I think you get the picture. Putting an age limit on this game is difficult (and inaccurate) because, in this case, it has more to do with the player's mental ability and general gaming experience. In order to get into most of what this game has to offer, one has to be reasonably skilled, which can take some time. For younger kids (or anyone not willing to spend some time picking up the basics), this may mean the game is put down for too early to get some real enjoyment out of it. Having a friend who's already experienced can help a lot here. In terms of violence, the "Kerbals" can (and probably will) die throughout your KSP career. However, Kerbals will simply turn into a puff of smoke (when hitting something at very high speeds) or simply disappear from the game (when, for example, the part they're in gets destroyed). So, if you/your child enjoys games like this, and doesn't mind a steep learning curve, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.
Kid, 8 years old October 25, 2014

THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!! XD XD XD XD XD

I have tons of mods including: Skillful, Probitronics, MechJeb, and boat parts.In Kerbal Space Program I like to make rockets that go to SPACEEEEEEE!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! XD XD XD XD XD
Teen, 13 years old Written bycall12354 August 5, 2016

Good Game

i put 7 as it can be quite hard for any one younger
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarfit June 7, 2016

14+?

I have a little cousin, that was 5 when I got this. She laughed her head off when my rocket exploded into billions of pieces, and when a scraggly command pod with 1 parachute left falls to the ground with 3 little green men with the biggest frowns of fear. She had fun playing it, and laughed when her first rocket fell apart. I showed her me making a space station, and then it jiggled apart because of a bug, she laughed even more about that.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTimeWarp Studios January 25, 2016

R u dum CSM?

Okay, there is absolutely no violence. That's all o have to say about that. KSP is a fun game where I learned enough aerodynamics and astrodynamics (is that a word?) to fill a whole career. Literally, Boeing should make this game a requirement to play for its aerospacial engineers. It can teach you so much about physics and aerodynamics. This game should be played by everyone. EVERYONE.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymilkerfish May 17, 2015

Really fun and teach you astrophysics (also don't hire kerbals to NASA)

The title sums it up. The only "violence is a low resolution explosion and you computer starting to melt because you put 3000 boosters onto a tiny command pod.
Teen, 17 years old Written byisaac is awsome January 23, 2015

Teaches orbital mechanics like nothing else.

Senior physics was made stupendously easy thanks to KSP, it also encourages a healthy enthusiasm for space exploration, the greatest message a game could have.