Kid reviews for Kerbal Space Program

Rocket-building sim helps determined kids reach the stars.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMath02u3 October 12, 2013

Great game; worth your money.

Firstly, the negative factors. Violence may be a concern for some, due to the fact that engine malfunctions may cause explosions which kill "kerbals," who prudently populate Kerbin, the planet where the kerbals live. Kerbals are also able to fall from vehicles to death, in which there is a slight puff of smoke. Blood/gore is not represented at all. However, this game allows children to explore physics and try to reach the stars. It's not easy—just getting into orbit is a tough, intense task. But this allows for many hours of playing time. There's no multiplayer aspect, which makes sure that there's no issues with language or other factors. No purchases are "pushed" beyond getting the game; another product called "the kerbalizer" is available but strictly optional.

Kid, 10 years old March 11, 2014

Ksp: fun, good and sometimes furstrating.

this game is very fun, but your kids must not freak out that they can't do it (it took me over 20 tries to get into orbit.) you will learn some physics, yet it is still fun. currently (V.0.23.0.365, which is basicly 0.23) the touritalls are old, which don't help (will be reworked in the next update). I played it for 5 months and i have went to jool and made a moon collony (jool is a planet in the game). it is recommened to watch scott manley's videos on ksp. this game has many mods just for you to know. you want to watch before you play this game. overall this is a bad review but the game is still very fun and can be very hard.
Kid, 10 years old January 10, 2014

kerbal space program

its a fun game and i learned a lot from it

Teen, 13 years old Written byHolyTardisCordyceps March 20, 2014

Extremely Difficult, but Really Fun!

It's overall a great game, free of just about everything inappropriate, however, lots of the missions can end in catastrophic failure, causing rockets to malfunction, space stations to collide, satellites to explode, causing the deaths of kerbals (the inhabitants of the fictional planet kerbin, which is basically earth in the kerbal space program universe). No blood or gore is directly depicted, nor is death. There are no multiplayer features, making it free of swearing. Be sure to keep one thing in mind: It's an extremely difficult game. Even making a rocket or spaceplane that will leave Kerbin's atmosphere is an intense and difficult task, also orbit, let alone setting up a space station, going to the moon, or orbiting Jool (jool is one of the many planets). The learning is also good, as your child will learn physics, math, and problem solving skills.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymedude March 26, 2017

Great Game, With a Learning Curve

Kerbal Space Program is a great game to begin with that lets you do more than you might expect- your home planet can be explored by rover, boat or plane, you can launch satellites into orbit or assemble space stations, visit one of two moons orbiting Kerbin (Earth-like planet) or travel to another of the many planets and moons in the solar system. Better yet, there are many, many add-ons to the game that add new functionality, including new planets, parts, more or less difficulty, or even an autopilot. The only bad thing about Kerbal Space Program is the learning curve- it's not impossible, but it is literally rocket science. Prepare to do some research on orbits and gravity turns before trying to leave the planet!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTimeWarp Studios January 25, 2016

R u dum CSM?

Okay, there is absolutely no violence. That's all o have to say about that. KSP is a fun game where I learned enough aerodynamics and astrodynamics (is that a word?) to fill a whole career. Literally, Boeing should make this game a requirement to play for its aerospacial engineers. It can teach you so much about physics and aerodynamics. This game should be played by everyone. EVERYONE.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCarson3003 October 30, 2015

Really good game

I was gifted this game back in March by a friend for buying him the game Rust a couple months prior. Since then, I have gotten about 150 hours on this game, and never had a dull moment. But being honest, this game doesn't even deserve 2 in ease of play, and with good reason. Because this game is trying to simulate actual rocket launches, albeit with advanced things such as the maneuver nodes, requires a LOT of controls. There have to be controls to control tilt and rotation of rockets, staging, thrust, EVA jet packs, RCS and SAS, and custom action groups to control engines. There are tutorials on all of this, but they are a little hard to understand and I didn't really understand maneuver nodes until I was messing around with MechJeb (A mod to the game). In all, the controls are very hard. That is the only downside I see to this game honestly. The modding community is great, when you learn how to do the different things it is super fun, there are a good amount of stock parts that come with the game and a whole lot more to come with mods, none of the mods are inappropriate (The worst one in my mind is BDarmory, a mod that adds various weapons to place on your ship, and while there is a multiplayer mod, it is designed for friends to play together and does not have an in game communication system, meaning you would have to make a steam/skype/teamspeak call to talk to anyone in the game), the developers are active, and I really can't stress enough how much mods improve the game. Also, this game does not deserve to be called violent in any way. It's so mundane it's basically not there.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPershonkey March 19, 2015

Amazing Game, but Difficult to Learn

As an avid Kerbonaut, I can attest to this game's quality. Everything - the scale, the realistic physics engine, the great community, etc. - combines to put this in my personal Top 5. I could go on and on about how much fun it is, but I think you get the picture. Putting an age limit on this game is difficult (and inaccurate) because, in this case, it has more to do with the player's mental ability and general gaming experience. In order to get into most of what this game has to offer, one has to be reasonably skilled, which can take some time. For younger kids (or anyone not willing to spend some time picking up the basics), this may mean the game is put down for too early to get some real enjoyment out of it. Having a friend who's already experienced can help a lot here. In terms of violence, the "Kerbals" can (and probably will) die throughout your KSP career. However, Kerbals will simply turn into a puff of smoke (when hitting something at very high speeds) or simply disappear from the game (when, for example, the part they're in gets destroyed). So, if you/your child enjoys games like this, and doesn't mind a steep learning curve, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRo Vyas July 9, 2017

Great game, but not for younger children.

I strongly believe that an 8 year old will not be able properly enjoy this game. It is a great game, but this isn’t for younger children. An 8 year old will not be able to understand a lot of stuff and not be able to move forward in the game. I have been playing for 8 months (not frequently and my computer has broken down) and I have just got to Jool [a planet] and have colonies on the Mün and Duna [Mars]). NOT FOR YOUNGER KIDS!
Teen, 13 years old Written bycall12354 August 5, 2016

Good Game

i put 7 as it can be quite hard for any one younger

Teen, 14 years old Written byMarfit June 7, 2016

14+?

I have a little cousin, that was 5 when I got this. She laughed her head off when my rocket exploded into billions of pieces, and when a scraggly command pod with 1 parachute left falls to the ground with 3 little green men with the biggest frowns of fear. She had fun playing it, and laughed when her first rocket fell apart. I showed her me making a space station, and then it jiggled apart because of a bug, she laughed even more about that.

Teen, 17 years old Written byisaac is awsome January 23, 2015

Teaches orbital mechanics like nothing else.

Senior physics was made stupendously easy thanks to KSP, it also encourages a healthy enthusiasm for space exploration, the greatest message a game could have.

Kid, 8 years old October 25, 2014

THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!! XD XD XD XD XD

I have tons of mods including: Skillful, Probitronics, MechJeb, and boat parts.In Kerbal Space Program I like to make rockets that go to SPACEEEEEEE!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! XD XD XD XD XD

Teen, 17 years old Written byAdAstra123 December 30, 2018

Super Hard

Dont be fooled by the ease of play rating, this game is extremely hard to play. Only recommended for super nerds. Ad Astra!

Teen, 15 years old Written byChar10975 July 31, 2018

Very, very enjoyable but slightly too complicated

Kerbal Space Programme is a sandbox game in which you can create your own space craft and fly to many different planets. There is no violence, sex, swearing, drugs or gore what so ever, the only reason I said it should be for 13+ is because it is so, so complicated. Believe me when I say this as there is lots of actual physics that you have to take into account as well as organise the staging of your craft and plot courses. This only scratches the surface of the complicated nature of this game. If you are looking for an easy game, I would recommend looking somewhere else, otherwise Kerbal is a very good game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCachou April 25, 2018

Awesome Game

This is an amazing game. I love it so much. However, due to the steep learning curve, smaller children may find it baffling. I love the hyper accurate physics.

Teen, 14 years old Written byvenyanwarrior March 13, 2018

Good for educational use.

Kerbal space program is a great space simulator that helps kids get a grip on rocket science. I'ts very accurate and educational. It's even endorsed by NASA.

Teen, 15 years old Written bydecrisp February 28, 2018

A very fun game about exploring the outer reaches of space

This game is extremely fun and addictive. I’m the game, you are the head of a space programme and you have do design rockets or spaceplanes and launch them into space. This game has a greatly steep learning curve, however, and it takes a lot of perseverance to accomplish goals, especially hard ones. Astronauts can die, but there is no gore, blood etc., they simply disappear. If you want to work in the space industry in one way or another, this is the game for you!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovie- Book reviewer October 9, 2017

L.O.L (Lots Of Learning.)

This game is great for kids seven and up, not because it's violent or scary it's just pretty hard to play and isn't for kids who want to learn with their screen time. In this game you learn about physics, aerodynamics orbital mechanics, money managing, geography and much more! If your child is playing on computer they most likely got it from steam, a online download system where people can chat, so have a conversation with your child about cyberbullying and not to give away personal info.

Kid, 12 years old December 22, 2016

Fortune favor the Bold

Ok well not always but its my slogan for that game KSP is awesome! It does take some logicle thinking to proceed onward. Great game... for the willing. The game is very frustrating. Requires much trial and error before you get it right. I would recommend it for anyone who wishes it and has tried the demo. It takes me hours to do most of my missions. Designing, flying, running out of fuel,crashing, fixing, flying. Wash, rinse, repeat. The reason for my 2+ rating is because space enthusiasts of all ages should be allowed to enjoy(kinda) this game. For parents worried about your kids spending hours on this game it is completely your call to make. If you have some way to see what your kids are doing during their time I suggest you look. Like a Weekley activity report. Consider what your kids are playing. It's educational, requires out of the box thinking, problem solving. It takes a few hours to get a (maybe) successful mission completed. I normally get 3 hours of screen time on my personal computer (which I mowed lawns for cost me $600) During that time I can normally get 1-3 missions done or fail 1-3 missions