Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Leapster L-Max Learning Game System

Souped-up Leapster with exciting new features.

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Parent of a 8 year old Written byJennEBryan April 9, 2008

Worth It!!!

I too was concerned about spending the money on the L-Msx as the"My First Leapad" and "Leapad" barely got touched (he used them more when he was sent to his room!). But the L-Max is terrific. Even with the commercialism of Spongebob, Spiderman, Madagascar, etc. Kids stick with what they relate too, and if Spongebob can teach my son math and Spiderman can teach him to spell, than these two characters rule in my book. Plugging it in to the TV is a nice advantage - having a bigger screen instead of a little 2x2 inch screen (plus it develops great eye hand coordination). My son has even plugged it into the DVD player in the car to play with and takes it with him whenever we have Doctor's or Dentist appointments. He received this as a present for Christmas, and 7 months later, still keeps a current list of games he wants for his L-Max. Definitely worth the investment.
Adult Written bybarnett April 9, 2008

Even better than the Leapster!

After barely touching the original Leappad, I had been hesitant to buy the more expensive Leapster last year. But our fears vanished immediately. He adored it and it has seen nearly daily use with fantastic educational games. When the L-max came out this year, he promised it was all he wanted for his birthday. We weren't sure there would be much of an improvement over the leapster, but it's been awesome. They can play on the TV screen so little sister (age 3) can watch and learn, too. We bought the letters on the Loose cartridge and it is incredible. Our little one can even write most of the letters now, though I think most toddlers would be frustrated by this cartridge. Our son is 6 and it's perfect for him as he's struggled with writing up until now. So some kids might be ready for it at 4, but others might be frustrated if they struggle with fine-motor skills. He recently bought the Spiderman cartridge with his allowance and likes that one, too. The old leapster cartridges work on the l-max, but do not show on the TV. The new l-max cartridges will work on the old leapsters, but just normally (no tv, obviously). The L-max screen is slightly smaller than the leapster's, so that's the only drawback (other than the price). The l-max is easiest to use if you have a TV where you can plug cords into the front. But you can still use them if they plug into the back, your child will just need more help and you may want to leave the cords plugged in.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written bymom of 2 in indiana December 28, 2009

BROKE IMMEDIATELY! DO NOT BUY!

I got this as the big gift for Christmas for my 5 yr old autistic son. It worked for 5 minutes. Now it will not turn on. I went through the checklist of things to do if this happens. Still does not work. My husband and I have to hide it from my son because we cannot explain to him why he can't play it. He screams when he gets frustrated, and he would not understand why mom and dad won't make his game work. I called Leapfrog and got no help since I bought it 4 months ago and the warrantee is only good for 3 months. I spoke with 2 different managers and they just kept repeating the trobleshooting checklist that I had informed them I already tried. It was like talking to a robot. She just kept repeating that checklist. Leapfrog's customer service is a joke in my opinion. They would not help us, or make any exceptions to their policy at all. They would not exchange, refund, refurbish, or offer a credit on their website(where I bought it from). They offered a 15% coupon for a future purchase. I have seen better offers than that on their website. And those offers are available to everyone. Leapfrog will never make any money off my family again. This was an expensive toy. I may as well have thrown $45.00 in the trash. I pretty much did the equivalent of that. Thanks Leapfrog for ruining what otherwise was a lovely Christmas. You will not ruin any more in my household.
Adult Written bynana m April 9, 2008

perfect gift!

Gave this to my 4 1/2 yr old grandaughter for xmas w/ letters, numbers, drawing, Dora games. She has completed all levels & still plays w/ it. Wants more advanced games. Brother 2 1/2 wants one for his bday in Mar ! Isn't frustrated w/ her games but doesn't really have them down yet. Much better than previous games, even leapster.