Parent reviews for Mabinogi

Mabinogi Poster Image

Completely Misunderstood

Ever since that big incident a few days ago in which a player decided to go and commit a crime, this source seems to be used quite often to show what this game is about. However, most of this information is not quite correct. For one, Mabinogi, as the slogan itself indicates, is a "FANTASY LIFE" game. Yes, there is combat in it just as every other MMORPG would but you'll spend 90% of your time socializing and most likely being a merchant to make money for fashion because thats a HUGE aspect of the game people seem to love. The economy works remarkably similar to real life. So, if anything it's a great lesson for younger kids in economics, teaching how you can successfully earn funds in a legal and safe manner. Regarding the violent aspect: the basics of combat in this game is comparable to an intensely advanced version of rock paper scissors in real time. And the sexual content? Well there's always a few perverts here and there on every online game. But in terms of content, it's quite child friendly. Sure, you may bring up the fact that when you unequip all your items, your character sprite is left in his poorly pixelated undergarments, but that happens in almost every MMORPG out there since it's logical. I rate this game for 10 and up in terms of maturity required for the content. However since it is about socializing, and most the players are usually within the age range of 14-25, you might want to wait until 13 simply because the community will have an impact on you if you like to hang out.

A more up to date review

A rather solid and interesting game. Though it does require a slightly more mature minded individual or for younger audiences someone to explain some of the more mature moments. First and foremost, as an MMO, there were will always be people finding creative ways to by-pass any parental settings, so that is something to keep in mind. The game has a rather cutesy graphics style, and the general violence is about standard fare for a 12-15 year old children's cartoon. The game's story content however, is actually fairly mature, if one pays attention to the story. The many of the Generation quest lines are loosely based on Welsh Mythology (the Mabiogion) or some of Shakespeare's plays and feature quite a lot of matures themes, even if the game does try to downplay some of the worst actions. Also several characters (such as the lumberjack Tracy (a man)) have non-standard gender values. (the aforementioned Tracy enjoying wearing women's clothing (when not working), and the abuse he received growing up by other children ridiculing and making fun of him for it and his struggles with society vs his own sense of normalcy, though he eventually made it through. ------------------------- It's a pretty big travesty in the topics to discuss section that the best they could come up with was consumerism, when the game itself is so much more, and has a large variety of themes that could be discussed. (in no particular order) Murder, obsession, betrayal, revenge, suicide, paranoia, attempted rape, gender-confusion, love, death, religion, politics, learning and growing, alcoholism, mythology, literature, trade and barter. And probably several more i can't think of off the top of my head.

INAPPROPRIATE!!!!!

it is really suggestive just look it up and look at images, i cant believe Common Sense says it is age 13. REALLY INAPPROPRIATE!!!!

Great Casual MMORPG

Mabinogi first caught my attention when I read that it was 'casual'- meaning that it wasn't all fighting and 'becoming the ultimate leader' if you know what I mean. You can become things in everyday life, like a farmer or a blacksmith, or even a knight or mage. Just like in real life, you grow older and more experienced. That itself appealed to me. When I actually started playing the game, let's just say the graphics were... subpar. It wasn't good in today's standards, but doesn't actually affect gameplay all that much. Quests are easy at first and get more challenging later on, but still doable, which is perfect. And the community. I LOVEE the community. Whenever I added someone (I'm a new player) they would instantly accept and chat with me. I've done trades with people that don't want anything back; people in Mabinogi are incredible. I have to say that it's a bit confusing if you're a newbie to MMORPG's- the servers confused me, the controls, the hotkeys- they were all pretty confusing and I'm still getting used to it. As for appropriateness, I guess I haven't played long enough to find any nudity/suggestive material. Curse words are filtered, but I guess thats bypassable by misspelling the word. Also, the boobs are not that big of a deal. It's not like they're hanging out or anything- grow up. Add me btw: sierrablade on the Torlach server ;))

This game can be very enjoyable....IF you can ever get it to work.

I'm damn near tempted to uninstall it...I get that maintenance has to be done once in a while but this thing is CONSTANTLY having connection problems and other tech issues...It frequently crashes, it frequently generates error messages...and too many connectivity issues. Out of AT LEAST 50 attempts to play, I've only managed to get it to work a total of 5 times...and that was 50 tries per session. I was going to come on here and say if you haven't played it yet, I recommend it...but now I'm not so sure. The only thing I can tell you is that it is a pretty decent MMORPG...but that is if, and I do mean a BIG IF...you can ever get it to work. So, my recommendation is...if you download this game, and you can hardly get it to work...don't waste your time...uninstall it and delete it...because that's what I'm going to do if I can't get it to work in the next few days. And don't bother trying to contact support either...they're constantly down too. It's a good thing I don't have a PREMIUM account or otherwise sank money into this, because I'd be a HELLUVA lot hotter about it than I already am. So, if you have this game and don't have the issues I do, good for you...enjoy. If you experience what I did, however...well...let's just say you have been warned.

Perfect for 10 and up bus some minor flaws

Ive been playing Mabinogi since it came out and I love it. The one thing that people havent said in here is you CAN cuss in the game. Many people have figured out that if you put an & in the middle of a curse word it allows it to be put into the chat box without showing the & in it, so it looks like the whole curse word. All in all I LOVE this game and when my son gets a little older both me and my husband will allow him to play with no worries but the occasional jerk or scammer. Im Narrissa on the Mari server so add if u want XD

Perfect yor the family

its awesome

I Had Fun

This is a fun game for all players. I have an account and play it all the time. There is a pvp style system between elves and giants or paladin vs dark knights. Human characters can side with either elves or giants and they get a free character card depending on who they side with. The only bad thing is that when u want to fight someone u have to turn on you pvp which leaves u open to attacks from aggressive players and wont give u a chance to get up. All in all players are friendly and you can make great friends there.