Parent reviews for Mario Kart 8

Fun family racer lets kids upload sweet moves to YouTube.

Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written bynuenjins November 23, 2015

Amazing game with a few irritating ticks.

This is by far the biggest and best Mario Kart and still retains it's 4 player split screen for families and friends which is becoming more and more rare today. You quickly unlock characters and tracks, more or less just by playing the game, with over 30 places to choose and 29 characters (many of which are different 'versions' of already playable racers). You can exspand that with 2 DLCs (downloadable content) that are only $14 extra but exspand the tracks with16 new tracks and 6 more charecters (including Link from Zelda and a themed race track), which is a great price compared to almost any game that has extra online content. There are silly weapons that are revisited from past games that keep anyone from getting by on just racing speed but here in the Wii U version you can't shut them off individually, It's basic weapons or all of them and the basic ones can be tiresome with just green shells and bananas. With each jump you can also get speed boost by tapping the drift button which adds some incentive to keep alert for small advantages. The only REAL downside to this title is the STAT system that makes little to no sense. If you push your + button each vehicle and part (tires, type and glider) your speed, endurance, drifting and the like are all effected and often in nonsensical and dramatic ways which can lead many to feel forced to play certain setups in order to win instead of picking characters and vehicles just for fun. There are also hidden stats for charecters making larger charecters faster for some reason and Avatars are added to the roster as well which are unlocked after playing and are the best , well rounded choices when racing.............With the new antigrav mode which has your tires turning into magnetic hovercrafts and climb walls and ceilings it's an effect that doesn't show noticeably to make you dizzy but just seems to add more interesting turns and doesn't visually make your car seem "upside down" so it's a well played feature. This and the glider that pops out automatically for long jumps all seem seamless and reliable so you don't feel jarred or disoriented and just add depth. the underwater moments seem a little overdone and silly but are forgivable as they don't last too long and aren't game changers.....................one more feature to consider is that online chats are limited to 'friends only' in the lobby and does not have game invite or message notifications. You need to use outside means to coordinate races online. Despite the few downfalls it may have Mario Kart is still the best Kart racer out there with a lot of fun new teaks and vehicles that make it very replayable for family and friends to return to for some quality fun time.
Adult Written bymoviewannabe June 10, 2014

Nintendo has done it again

Mario Kart 8 is amazing. Many Nintendo fans think games like this are going to sell like hotcakes due to financial losses. In case you didn't notice, whenever Peach, Daisy and Rosalina ride an motorcycle or an ATV, they're wearing white jumpsuits, with stripes running down the sides, long gloves and knee-high boots that are the same as their dresses and their jumpsuits are worn tight. This game is easy to play when using a Wii U game pad: you can switch from the TV view, to the map of the current racetrack or the horn. You can use the item button when you don't have an item and you can honk the horn and startle other drivers.

Teen, 16 years old Written byJacobL 1 October 27, 2015

Best Game Ever

Your kids will love this game! It has the most scenic courses, which makes it relaxing! This game is the best game in my opinion. It has no negative stuff. It's all positive! Even adults will love this game! The selection of courses is better than other Mario Kart's.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byMaik89 December 11, 2014

A warning to Parents

The game is excellent but it relies on a system where victory can be lost at the last second by a well placed item this can lead to great frustration for children and even adults that cannot handle loosing. So pay attention to what happens on screen before making judgement.

Adult Written byblmbbc123 November 15, 2014

Awesome

Love this game!

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byJEDI micah June 7, 2014

My first Wii U game!!!

If you don't have a Wii U right now and your looking to get a game that has the most iconic video game character ever n another racing match, then this is the reason to get one! This is a great entry to the Mario Kart franchise! The new anti-gravity mode adds new features on racing! Even though some of the playable characters are a little disappointing (there's a lot of baby versions of the characters, like Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach, etc.), but overall it is the #1 reason to get a Wii U right now! It is an awesome game! LOVE IT!!!

Adult Written bymrawesome parent February 4, 2015

swaggalicius

this game is great! no violence and wonderfull! i play it with my daughter all the time 10/10 wonderfull

Adult Written bytamoore October 14, 2014

My 4.5 y.o. LOVES it!

My DD who will be five in a few months, had just started playing on the Wii when it was zapped by lightning...we replaced it with WiiU which came with Mario Kart 8...she loves it so much! The gamepad makes play easier and more immersive. She is competitive and gets so excited when she unlocks a trophy, a new character, or a new accessory! She doesn't play long, but she really gets a feeling of accomplishment when she wins!

Parent of a 16 year old Written bybengates512 August 16, 2014

Great game for kids and adults

this is a fun game. I've always loved mario games ever since I was a kid and mario kart 8 is no exception. And it was able to be a great game without violence and profanity so I can play it with my kids, they love it. This is by far the best game in the mario kart series.
Parent of an infant, 3, 9, and 15 year old Written byAshley T. August 20, 2017

My kids are obsessed!

My 9 year old daughter always begs my 15 year old to play with her and she does. They both love it! They play online with friends, but right before you play it shares what state you live in. It doesn't really bother me but I know it may bother other parents. My kids love this game and literally could and have play this all day!

Parent Written bySarah D. October 18, 2016

Best Go-Kart game

I actually remember playing super Mario kart when I was a girl and now I play video games with my sons. Mario kart 8 has a real ease of play. I know how some people get really mad when they lose in Mk. But if you want less of a challenge you can just customize the difficultly cc etc...... Easily. I recommend this to your children if they like race cars