Parent reviews for Mass Effect 3

Exciting sci-fi adventure with gore, sex, and profanity.

Adult Written bySam M. March 17, 2016

Hmm

Less profanity (at most 3 f words game wide), tame pg 13 sex that is pretty awkward in how safe it is (showering in underwear...seiously?!, made even more awkwards how the characters are apparently getting it on in there. Also why the heck are Tali and Garrus fully clothed in post coital scenes?! Its 2012 and you are an M rated game! Albiet designing alien naughty bits would be very odd to most especially ones with less than humanoid appearances). Anyway it hurts suspension of disbelief. Violence has gone both up and down. There isnt much surface spaltter yet there is now splattery/ chunky decapitation and very chunky gibbing ( with "carnage" power and rockets) and cutscene violence is more visceral including grevious bullet wounds, dead soldiers and bloody remains of cruel experments in a lab. Ending aside, the story has very few decisions to make yet has many epic beats (its more about previous game choices coming to fruitition) and thier missions deliver on presentation and execution and include several HELL YEAH moments. Comabt is stronger and movement is better. Missions are more defensive and action/warfare based and can feel either epic or exhausting in a tired GOW way and the horde mode multiplayer doesnt add much to the experience but is a adequate distraction made to pad out the game with "Galactic readiness". Them character still deliver which makes it even more painfull that thier fates are prelactically left in limbo even with the Extended cut dlc which tells of consequences in a broad strokes fashion. Altho the new cahracters feel unnecessary and are too last minute to be meaningfully developed. The final battle ends anticlimacticaly without a proper boss yet is cinematically thrilling. And all collected Assets dont in anyway affect the unfolding of the finale or how it plays. I actually never played the dlc. I heard its decent tho with interesting worldbuilding that at least gives a bit more context for the ending and gives a satisfying conclusion to character relationships.
Adult Written byChristmom2k15 July 3, 2015
Adult Written bySafetymom17 June 29, 2015

Good

Fantasy violence, language, very nondescript sex scenes. That's essentially all you need to know.

Parent of an infant, 3, 3, and 5-year-old Written byValentina L. October 27, 2014

Great game, but inappropriate for kids

I'm not a big fan of video games, but I have to be honest here and say that this game is great. I loved it, played it more than once and loved it until the very end - which is disappointing.

About the age rating, it is obvious by the marking Bioware company gave it - not for kids. It includes lots of violence, strong language, sex and so on. No arguing of any kind about it.

Ease of Play
Parent of a 8 and 13-year-old Written byJonathan wood April 5, 2014

Sci fi masterpiece

This game is allot less strong than CSM says I am usually quite a strict parent but I think that this game and the whole mass effect series is fine for teenagers.

Ease of Play
Adult Written bytheultimaterater April 15, 2013

review

it is a great game i have played it with my kids before it does have a small amount of violence compared to other video games and it has almost no sex compared to alot of pg-13 movies

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byInnerVoices February 1, 2013

A massive Effective Review!

The games is incrediblely amazing. I personally have to say i feel inlove with it. The game does include some blood, but not as bad as Call of Duty or Gears of War. The sexual content or sex scenes are about as bad as a PG-13 movie. The game does allude to a message of hope and endurance. The character can drink but to an extent. I would let my 14 year old daughter play this game.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byMattCody January 23, 2013

Disappointing, but a hell of a ride.

Starts up with a gripping prologue (Like all Bioware games) but then manages to get less interesting throughout the game. I would of put "Positive role model", but compared to the other games in the trilogy, there are barely any dialogue choices to be made.

Overall: Barely any choices in the last two games had consequences, terrible plot (TIM: "We brought you back to life, now we want you dead.", no interesting scenery or exploration, lack of dialogue wheel, lack of actual side missions (compared to ME1 & 2 planet scanning anomalies), no character development and lastly, didn't even feel like a Mass Effect game.

The game really should of been delayed until 2013, instead of releasing it incomplete and receiving tons of negative feedback because of it. Not as good as ME1 or ME2 but nonetheless a good experience, wouldn't call it GOTY, yet wouldn't call it a terrible game.

Adult Written bya deep gamer September 1, 2012

Makes you think about yourself and those around you

I have been a gamer most of my life, and thinking about every game I've ever played, Mass Effect always stands out for me. This series has the deepest characters in any game, and, with the amazing story and interaction, you feel like they are actual people. You feel like these people are your friends, your family, not just some faces. If you betray one, you feel like you stabbed a friend in the back, not just kept a secret from some meaningless character. Everything in this game makes you think about the difference between right and wrong, between friendship and power. You will feel bad for someone suffering because of you. When you couple that with the stress of the war, there are moments where getting the job done feels amazing because you helped those you've grown close to. Yes, the gameplay and story stand up on their own, and yes, there is language, violence, and sexual themes. But all of these things take the backseat to the real as flesh and bone cast. If you let this game in, you will feel for these people. Don't be surprised if, during a particularly tender moment, you feel a tear form. More than one have admitted to it.

Adult Written byModernNija94 August 23, 2012

More shooter less RPG

In my personal opinion this is more of a action based story then the other two where mainly because of the fact that it can be played as a shooter without any dialog choices at all depending on how you set it up in the beginning

Adult Written byConcerned Dads May 9, 2012

You can avoid it

I did not see what ersb was saying about the sexual situations I've played through the game multiple times and you can completely avoid the situations if the first time you talk to a character you come off mean.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byhwarming May 9, 2012

Amazing

This game is amazing, the main character, Shepard, has to face the invasion of the Reapers, ancient machines whose sole purpose is to wipe out life in the galaxy. Along the way Shepard builds companion ships with his or her crewmates, and can potentially romance one. The game has a very strong message of hope. This game is not really for kids, I'd recommend maybe 15 or 16 and over. It is the most violent of the Mass Effect series, the gore isn't too gratuitous, the worst thing you'll see is a head exploding in a very small mess, which isn't as bad as it sounds.

Adult Written byprimeian March 24, 2012

VERY GORY

Violence is really only the main issue in ME3. When using a sniper rifle, players can shoot off enemy heads and leave blood spewing out. Then there are other weapons the player can use to literally blow up bodies with. IT IS MESSY