Parent reviews for Metroid Dread

Metroid Dread Poster Image

This game is great

Metroid Dread is really fun, but it can get quite difficult, which can be frustrating. Parents should know that the game has fast paced fights that can get very intense. And The E.M.M.I. Bots that patrol certain areas can be quite frightening.

Very good

A very good fun harmless instalment in the Metroid series. Ok very everyone

Fantastic installment in a franchise that needs more attention

This game is great. It was well worth the wait with great gameplay, more emphasis on story than usual, and terrific atmosphere. But what I mainly want to write about is the difficulty, mostly because most game journalists and critics complain about this one being way too hard, even comparing it to Dark Souls. As someone who did die a lot while playing this one, anyone who thinks this game is too hard has never played a Metroid game before. As far as I'm concerned, only the boss fights and avoiding EMMI detection are all that challenging, and even then, once you figure out how their attacks and movements work, it's really not that bad. Plus, the game is super generous with checkpoints. Every time you lose to a boss, you reappear right in next to where you found it. Some game journalists honestly believe this game penalizes you too much for failure, but this is the only one I've played with this feature. So yeah, is it hard? Sure, but it's also fair. It's kinda like Cuphead, another game people love comparing to Dark Souls. Sure, I did die a lot, but I didn't find it nearly as difficult as people made it out to be. I can understand people finding Crash 4 too hard to get into, because yeah, even by Crash Bandicoot standards, that game was ridiculous. And even then, the developers had the decency to add an infinite lives mode to make up for that. Metroid Dread isn't even close to that. Plus, in a similar vain to Samus Returns, it's a lot easier to figure out where to go without having to consult a guide. This game actually tells you where to go next as well, so you never have to worry about scratching your head wondering which area you should backtrack to after getting a certain item or what-have-you. In fact, let's take the time to compare this to a game that's actually unfair, Baldo: The Guardian Owls. The reason I couldn't get through this game is because it's not only hard, it's hard for the wrong reasons. Keep in mind, whenever you die, this game spawns you in the room you died in. That's about the only thing it really got right, though, because hit detection is awful. The first boss gave me such a hard time because whenever you hit him, there's a 90%+ chance he'll hit you back and deal more damage regardless of how good your timing is. Sure, for the first while, you can actually hit it with barrels to avoid that, but that doesn't always work, and the game gives you no indicator of whether or not there's a correct time to throw them. When I did beat the boss, it was purely by accident and because it whipped itself with its own tentacle. (And I did take in a hit at the same time as well) And the rest of the game has similar issues. Because of that, I couldn't bring myself to get through it, and from what I've heard about the story and its ending, I'm not missing much. So yeah, the next time anyone claims Metroid Dread is too hard, I'd like them to try and get through this game and tell me the same thing.