Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Brutally violent fantasy focused on pop culture franchise.

Parent Written byDave W. October 15, 2017

I thinks it is 10 and up

This is because there is violence but not as much as the first one and there is slaves. I believe that this game would allow children to see that you should not keep slave but allow them to be free. many people would agree with this I hope.

Ease of Play
Adult Written byCzehas H. October 15, 2017

Classic Gaming just for you child

This game has no swearing drugs or sexual act. It’s based on a fanstasy world call Mordor. You are exploring the world and fighting for what’s right I allowed my son to play it and as long if they know violence is wrong them let them play it

Parent of a 15 year old Written byMark H. November 18, 2017

Very violent, but nothing a teen can't handle

My 15 and 14 year old sons have both played this game since the launch day, and they both are very into Lord of the Rings, which is why they wanted it so badly. They have other M games, like Halo:MCC or Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and they seem to be able to handle the game. The character fights orcs, not humans, and as long as your kid can distinguish between the real and world and fantasy, they should be able to handle it. It is an amazing game!
Adult Written byHolly H. December 28, 2017

It shouldn’t be 18+

Well I played the game myself first as I’m a really big lotr and hobbit fan and let me just say it’s no where near as bad as the first one at all! The violence has significantly being reduced, there is absolutely no sex or bad language at all. I also Believe seen as you’re killing orcs and not men it teaches your child to not harm humans as your mission is to protect them. I would recommend this game for 13+ because I actually think the return of the king ( The last lotr film) is a lot worse.

Ease of Play
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBobby G. February 6, 2018

Extreme gore- but only against orcs

This game contains various amounts of extreme gore: exploding heads into chunks, decapitations, amputations, and even cutting some enemies clean in half. But- it's all against humanoid troll-like creatures called orcs. The blood is black and unrealistic. Language is limited to "bastard" and "ass".

Adult Written bydarthsitkur December 15, 2017

definitely better than the first one

I’ve finished it already and let me tell ya, it’s better than the first game, the nemesis system is greatly improved upon, there’s more locations, more blood, more gore, even more badass action, and adrenaline fueled set piece battles. buy this bad boy now if you’re a fan of the lord of the rings or the hobbit or both
Adult Written byAlan B. April 11, 2018

Really good game

It’s so much fun and the idea of the game I’ve got expanded more and more compared the previous one, Now you can make an army forge a war against others Upgrade your character your army leaders and even the soldiers with many type tactics, the combat game is similar to batman games which’s made by the same company
Adult Written byAmericancoolcid January 18, 2019

Good for kids

I got the game a few days ago and I absolutely love it. The game should be T. There is no sex, drugs, nudity, cursing. All there is only violence and the wost part is when parts of their body are desembled. You explore a world full of orcs that are enslaving humans and making war. The game is good for teaching people how good it is to save slaves. And your not the bad guy the orcs are so you have every right to kill and fight them to save your kind.