Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Minecraft: Story Mode

Famous blocky adventure has a generic story to tell.

Adult Written byhappytohelpmom December 31, 2015

disappointed user

After just 5 minutes of playtime, I knew this game wasn't for our family. The characters speak to each other in degrading ways. The girl character is the "smart" one and the boy is the "ignorant" one which is typical of the narrative the culture is pushing right to dumb down our boys. They said "shut-up" several times, "oh-crap", and "what the h…" It felt like the creators of the game were trying to use these tactics to appeal to the younger generation, but these kids like mine craft for what it is, it was completely unnecessary. This game is going back!

Parent Written bygamerdad711 October 27, 2015

this game should be rated 8+ in my opinion

there is a very very low amount of profanity because they will say [email protected], and h*ll sometimes but it is not frequent. The violence is not much at all nothing worse than the real minecraft.

Adult Written byFrogMama January 5, 2016

Coarse Language

The interactions and the verbiage are not nice. I would not want to hear my 9yo speaking to people the way the characters in story mode speak to each other. Others have identified some of the 4-letter words used, but I was most offended hearing "jerk wad." Fortunately my son was not able to repeat it when I asked him what that character just said. He has also said that some of the options available for his character aren't very nice, like calling people jerks or idiots. It's too bad that the creators think this is good role modeling for our youth.

Adult Written byNquick December 28, 2015

Games that are should not be rated E

The graphics are wonderful but has inappropriate language that should not be in a child's game that is rated e. I am very disappointed in this game.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byJswurd June 17, 2016

This is my favorite game!

Amazing story puts this fun adventure all together, the only bad part is when hell is used(only once)
Adult Written byMatchMaker January 4, 2016

Get on Steam

Kids could play this game, and there is only "[email protected]" and "h#ll" but what's the point badly thinking of these words. Don't bother with the language when it is only said a few times, and this game could easily pass as a PEGI 3 or an ESRB E

Adult Written bylisa_07 February 7, 2016

Not recommended for sensitive children. (Spoilers!)

Pros: good story line, good graphics, the story can be different each time you play, entertaining Cons: mild cuss words used frequently that were found distracting and unnecessary; for example: crap, freak, freakin, jerk, what-the, etc., death of characters that my sensitive 11-yr-old found upsetting; for example, my son was required to chose armor from one of two characters. After doing so, the character who gave up his armor got hurt and died. Another instance was at the end of Chapter 4, his pet gave him a sword and then fell of a cliff and died.

Parent Written byBrandy R. December 26, 2017

Horrible language- disrespectful speaking characters

My kids are 9 and 4. This game is going BACK! “Freaking,” “what the hell,” “crap,” “idiot,” are said on the regular. My 9 year old was VERY disappointed!! She said they say horrible things to each other and she doesn’t like it. It’s convicting to her heart not to play it. I know my 4 year old would repeat everything the game said with mirrored attitude if he had heard it. So many reviewers think this is acceptable language. NOT ME. It’s going back.

Adult Written byYellowface July 23, 2016

Worst birthday surprise gift ever

As huge minecraft fans i got this for my gf without second thought. Knowing it is 'story mode' one would still expect improved gameplay and mechanics in the survival and creative modes of minecraft even if we're not interested in the story. In the end not even a good or fun story mode, only to find out there is no survival or creative mode either. SURPRISE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! yep both of us trading it back in even for a loss, very nice birthday surprise, time to organise a late surprise present without her knowing.
Adult Written byDiamondJaguar A. January 16, 2017
it is a great game mild languge but if other kids now better the to say bad words its compltley fine for them ages 9 and up

Adult Written byMasterCrafter 9001 February 9, 2017

Really fun!

This amazing game is probably good for kids 8 to 10 up. Mostly because they say frickin crap and hell. There is some mild flerting between Jessie and Petra but barly any. Also in order to play other episodes u need to buy them. But other wise its definatly worth getting, especially if your a minecraft fan like me.

Adult Written byBen L. March 9, 2018

Good

good game based on Minecraft, the characters are a bit hard to control at first but you get used to it. And often you have to pay for new levels or season passes.

Adult Written bychester-leek January 6, 2018

Adult Written byAurora R. February 28, 2018

I should have looked at the reviews before buying this game. My son (7yrs old) was looking forward to this game, after purchasing it, however we were disappointed with the cursing. This game isn't suitable for young children. It went straight back to gamestop. We went with Mario go cart deluxe 8 for Nintendo switch instead. We are hoping that future minecraft games won't be like this one. -Aurora

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byTheGraveDiggers Y. February 14, 2018

Defeats the purpose of Minecraft

this game defeats the purpose of Minecraft because Minecraft was never intended to have a story, wish I could rate a 0 star review

Adult Written byAndrew L. January 3, 2018

Adult Written byA sad dad March 2, 2019

My kids cried...

My 9-year-old and 6-year-old both cried hard after Reuben died. He squeals for a solid minute before closing his eyes and dying. It’s unnecessary and irresponsible. The rating was Y7 on Netflix, so I assumed it was fine. Unfortunately, I have lost faith in the rating system...

Adult Written byKingjj August 22, 2018

Boy

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byTa3hah August 5, 2018

Great Storymode Game Ever.

Minecraft Story mode is 12 because it uses words such as, c**p and h**l.