Parent reviews for Minecraft

Sandbox-style game with open online play fosters creativity.

Parent Written bybayareamediamaven May 30, 2012

Beware Minecraft is a Mindgame

Minecraft is like virtual legos when used in "creative" mode. Depending on the server, there can be enjoyable collaborating between players. I caution you to be careful if you allow your child to go onto a server for multiplayer. Most of the servers are hosted by strangers or by other unsupervised children and the rules can vary greatly by server. I am less concerned about the "monsters", then about your children's real life peers who may use Minecraft (I call it "Mindgames") to gain social power in the virtual and real world. I encourage you to make sure your child is aware of the unwritten social rules of the particular server before going on it. A child who may be vulnerable to being bullied, can easily be lured or teleported by more socially savvy "friends" into situations where they are manipulated and "killed". This can be upsetting and confusing to some children. It is also extremely addictive, which is why I gave it the 11 and up rating. I would also caution you to be careful of the youtube videos. I found some that were instructions on how to bully other children on Minecraft. I am a little bit concerned that CSM, doesn't seem to be aware of the social and emotional dangers of this game. I encourage CSM to take a deeper look at Minecraft since so many parents rely on your recommendations to decide whether or not to allow their child to play.

Adult Written byEAKugler April 22, 2011

A box of blocks

I would recommend being careful allowing kids on a public server, but the game can be played solo, and a smart parent with the resources could set up a controlled server, for the child to play online with friends. The game allows perfect gameplay in a nearly limitless world of imagination. It is not unlike giving a child a box of infinite blocks which can be changed and altered to fit the needs and desires of the child. Kids can't choke on it, just be sure to limit how much time they play.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byNanorama April 27, 2011

Addicting for tween boys

My 12 year old son adores this game and needs to have his fingers pried off the keyboard. The game itself contains no bad language, or indeed any language. However there is the possibility of exposure to older players and their uncensored commentaries when your child visits Minecraft posts on YouTube.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 10 year old Written byKillYrTV January 1, 2013

This is the best of all games wrapped up into one.

I am a 30 yr old parent of 3, and I am a moderator on a Minecraft multi-player server. This game is great for all ages, as there are many, many ways to play, most of which have been addressed already. But I am in a unique position as a multiplayer server moderator and a parent, so I hope you will give my review some consideration. Small children can play in "creative mode" which is basically infinite Legos on a beautiful landscape. "Survival mode" (age 7-10) provides an adventurous scenario where there is just enough of a sense of danger to kick-start your motivation to quickly learn to follow crafting recipes and develop basic tactics and problem solving strategies. Playing on a multi-player server (age 10+) allows you a collaborative experience with people all over the world. Yes, sometimes there are conflicts on a multiplayer server, but on most servers, the moderators are there to ensure safe and fair gameplay, and there are opportunities for children to learn responsibility and real world problem solving skills. It is very important to choose a server that makes your childrens' safety a priority. Once your child is knowledgeable and comfortable on a Minecraft server (age 12-18), a whole new experience begins to unfold. For example, on the server I help moderate, there are opportunities to create your own town and learn people and project management skills, and participate in economic and political systems on a large scale. For players that follow the rules and show initiative and loyalty, there are opportunities for advancement to staff positions where they are trained to help other players, develop self-confidence, and become role models. Eventually a player may be able to earn an internship by learning technical skills and help customize the game itself by assisting with the development of plugins that modify the way the game works on the server. They may learn valuable, transferable skills for website and app development, as well as large scale personnel and project management. The main things parents should be concerned about is the quality of the multiplayer servers and how well moderated they are. The parent should spend a few hours playing on the server and studying the server's website before allowing a child younger than 12 to play on it. There is also the concern that the child will become obsessed with this game, because it is so awesome and intellectually stimulating! As with any form of entertainment, it is very important to set clear boundaries. I hope that parents can realize how useful this game can be in many aspects of their child's development, and how fun it is for all ages, even parents!

Parent Written bySteve S. May 8, 2011

Great for tweens and above

Generally pretty good for creative kids who like to explore, kind of like Legend of Zelda without a plot. The biggest concern isn't the game, but rather the people who've recorded youtube videos of the gameplay and the language that they use in those videos. Otherwise, it's highly addictive for tweens and that is probably the biggest danger - tearing them away from this largely benign and creative game! One other thing...monsters and enemies can be a bit scary for younger tweens. Common Sense review is fairly accurate in my estimation. UPDATE: Minecraft has grown and expanded and is now much more fun and interesting due to various add-ons to the game. If your child doesn't have it, get it for them - all of your child's friends who have computer privileges probably already have it!

Adult Written byGerdofal March 10, 2012

Great game, just be sure to discuss with your child.

This excellent independent title is an wonderful educational opportunity for tweens and teens, with the ability to build and construct it fosters creative thinking and problem solving. All positive. On the other hand, exposure to an online community brings privacy concerns as well as exposure to the creations of others, which may not be appropriate. Know your child, discuss that others on the internet may make inappropriate creations in the game or use foul language, and discuss with your child how to handle such a situation. Also be sure to discuss privacy and not giving out real name or location.

Adult Written byILoveDolphins October 11, 2011

Minecraft is One of the Best Games on the Internet!

You do have to buy Minecraft, but it's certainly worth it! I recommend 7-13 for Single Player, but 13 & up for Multiplayer. Multiplayer can have swearing, which is usually rare, and in some servers, it is against the rules. You can get banned from the server if you do not follow the rules. Moderators are positive role models and give positive messages. It is violent, but barely. There is NO blood, NO gore, or anything of the sort. You can kill zombies, skeletons, cows, pigs, chickens, and other things. Something really cool about Minecraft is that you can add mods, or modifications, for TONS of things! You can spawn animals, fly, go scuba diving, pretty much anything you can imagine! You can also add texture packs, which changes the way the game looks. Overall, this is one of the best games I've ever played! And it's only in Beta! (Soon not to be, though).

Adult Written byZekeSonxx April 21, 2011

Non-biased review

I think the game is amazing. After playing for less then a hour, I discovered many many fun items. While there is a thriving game community for it, parents can easily divert their kid's playing multiplayer by just watching where they are, and keep them off of the many sites that feature servers, or sites that list a lot of servers.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byHey its me April 24, 2011
I love the game and only think it is a slightly educational with a theme for building your own house and storage and crafting.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bythomas1foot July 21, 2011

The Best Of The Best

The game is suitable for most ages 9+, although it may scare younger players with scary music, and the thought of zombies. 10/10 and suitable for ages 9+

Adult Written byXiOmicronSigma October 31, 2011

The BEST game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written byIplay May 26, 2011

Good.

Very fun for all ages. the monsters can be turned off and the game as a whole is good for creativity and spatial skills.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byBetsy in Brentwood May 31, 2011

For the budding urban planner or engineer

Builds creativity; very addictive but at least they aren't killing anything. Quite a community...

Adult Written bybozaq January 3, 2012

Best in The world

This game is the best ever!!!

Adult Written byVJOcean May 14, 2013

Minecraft opinion

I'm a bit disgusted with some of these parents who take one look on the game and hate it due to one mere bad experience. This game isn't violent at all. All you do is mine, make builds, defeat monsters to stay alive at night (or use a bed to sleep in and to skip night), and on rare occasions do PvP (player vs player) but PvP is fun once you do it long enough. There's no blood in this game and when you fall, hit a monster/player all that happens is you see a red tint. I would recommend this game to anyone whether they're young or old. It's a great game to let their imagination soar and to socially interact on multiplayer servers. If your child gets disturbed about something innapropriate on the game; obviously they shouldn't be playing it. There's a ton of teenagers playing the game, so yes there will be cursing. If they're watching a Minecraft video and the user curses, don't blame the youtuber if your child adds that one word to your vocabulary, blame your child for using that word.

Adult Written byzuju August 23, 2011

Cool!!

IO think it is a awesome game!!!!

Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byRPost78 March 29, 2013

Offline Security

This game can be played offline, so this eliminates the possibility of encountering suggestive and offensive material created by other players.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byDonindc December 9, 2013

Cool but your kids can kill people

Watch some hunger games minecraft episodes - where you can kill other people! Get it for your kids so they can pretend to kill people! NOT FOR KIDS - stay away from the hunger games ones.

Adult Written bysenox13 December 27, 2011

minecraft: a popular game for people of all ages

minecraft is currently (12/26/11) the most popular downloadable game on the internet. the reason for rating the minimum age so high is because it can take a few years of computer usage to develop the motor skills, reaction time, and speed for building large or even small things, otherwise it can be extreamly tedious and frustrating. minecraft can be educational in a number of ways. it obviously inspires creativity, but after 100+ hours of gameplay (something I have experianced many times) vanilla minecraft can become slightly boring, and this brings me to mods and the modding community. most mods are just for fun and are complety appropriate, but some mods could add something innapropriate (I am yet so find one though lastly, I will cover the online community. setting up a server is a horribilly difficult experiance, it requires port forwarding, which is not easy, but it could be worse. (I suppose) The online community is usualy a not problem though there is no true way of protecting the things you build, so people can edit or grief (destroy) them. minecraft is a perfectally appropriate game offline and offline (as long as the player understands right from wrong) i strongly recommend it. -- S13

Adult Written byiiCloudyCam October 4, 2015

One of the more family friendly games.

So, first things first.. This is one of the more family friendly games, imagine a world of blocks. Because that's exactly what it is! This game in "creative mode" is a very entertaining and hence "creative mode" creative. You can build almost anything you want! Roller coaster, houses, mansions you name it! When you get more advanced you can use redstone, redstone is the wiring and electricity of the game.. And for some more confusing. (including me) Now there is another mode, "survival mode" and just by the name, you know it's a little more intense. In "survival mode" you don't just get what you want, you have to earn it. And if you don't earn it before night time, you may be vulnerable to the monsters. Yes, the monsters.. However these monsters are not scary whatsoever, in fact.. Mojang, the creators of Minecraft, made them into plush toys for kids to sleep with. Now, one more mode.. "Online mode" This can be disturbing to some younger people, not the mode itself the people who are on it. Now, "online mode" is the only mode you use to play with others, including friends, family, and sometimes random strangers. Typically these random strangers are just there to enjoy the game too, but sometimes they have a dirty mouth.. Using words and theories that aren't appropriate for younger players, including the fact that they can chat back words,and even house address. However, I believe that if your child is mature not depending on the age.. Just plain maturity, he should be able to experience these words.. And of course we all know no one wants their child cursing, but aha! This is where the maturity comes in, and wether you think he/she should hear it. Generally I would be okay with a child playing this game, just.. Maybe keep online mode for something to do with people you know. Overall, awesome game for kids.