Parent reviews for Minecraft

Sandbox-style game with open online play fosters creativity.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 10-year-old Written byKillYrTV January 1, 2013

This is the best of all games wrapped up into one.

I am a 30 yr old parent of 3, and I am a moderator on a Minecraft multi-player server. This game is great for all ages, as there are many, many ways to play, most of which have been addressed already. But I am in a unique position as a multiplayer server moderator and a parent, so I hope you will give my review some consideration.

Small children can play in "creative mode" which is basically infinite Legos on a beautiful landscape. "Survival mode" (age 7-10) provides an adventurous scenario where there is just enough of a sense of danger to kick-start your motivation to quickly learn to follow crafting recipes and develop basic tactics and problem solving strategies.

Playing on a multi-player server (age 10+) allows you a collaborative experience with people all over the world. Yes, sometimes there are conflicts on a multiplayer server, but on most servers, the moderators are there to ensure safe and fair gameplay, and there are opportunities for children to learn responsibility and real world problem solving skills. It is very important to choose a server that makes your childrens' safety a priority.

Once your child is knowledgeable and comfortable on a Minecraft server (age 12-18), a whole new experience begins to unfold. For example, on the server I help moderate, there are opportunities to create your own town and learn people and project management skills, and participate in economic and political systems on a large scale. For players that follow the rules and show initiative and loyalty, there are opportunities for advancement to staff positions where they are trained to help other players, develop self-confidence, and become role models. Eventually a player may be able to earn an internship by learning technical skills and help customize the game itself by assisting with the development of plugins that modify the way the game works on the server. They may learn valuable, transferable skills for website and app development, as well as large scale personnel and project management.

The main things parents should be concerned about is the quality of the multiplayer servers and how well moderated they are. The parent should spend a few hours playing on the server and studying the server's website before allowing a child younger than 12 to play on it. There is also the concern that the child will become obsessed with this game, because it is so awesome and intellectually stimulating! As with any form of entertainment, it is very important to set clear boundaries.

I hope that parents can realize how useful this game can be in many aspects of their child's development, and how fun it is for all ages, even parents!

Adult Written byVJOcean May 14, 2013

Minecraft opinion

I'm a bit disgusted with some of these parents who take one look on the game and hate it due to one mere bad experience. This game isn't violent at all. All you do is mine, make builds, defeat monsters to stay alive at night (or use a bed to sleep in and to skip night), and on rare occasions do PvP (player vs player) but PvP is fun once you do it long enough. There's no blood in this game and when you fall, hit a monster/player all that happens is you see a red tint. I would recommend this game to anyone whether they're young or old. It's a great game to let their imagination soar and to socially interact on multiplayer servers. If your child gets disturbed about something innapropriate on the game; obviously they shouldn't be playing it. There's a ton of teenagers playing the game, so yes there will be cursing. If they're watching a Minecraft video and the user curses, don't blame the youtuber if your child adds that one word to your vocabulary, blame your child for using that word.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byNanorama April 27, 2011

Addicting for tween boys

My 12 year old son adores this game and needs to have his fingers pried off the keyboard. The game itself contains no bad language, or indeed any language. However there is the possibility of exposure to older players and their uncensored commentaries when your child visits Minecraft posts on YouTube.
Adult Written bybozaq January 3, 2012

Best in The world

This game is the best ever!!!

Adult Written byNoah D. December 11, 2019

Should be rated E for Everyone.

I don't think the animals are bleeding when you hit them and they turn red; I think it's just an indicator for when they are hit.
Adult Written bypurpurcatrocks June 8, 2020

Minecraft Is the best game

A lot of Karens and Boomers always think it is violent. No, Notch, the great creator of Minecraft and the community says Minecraft is for everyone, although, the Ratings says it is aged 10 and up. I think it is wrong. There is nothing inappropriate

-=Multiplayer=-
Most(99.9999%) of Minecraft servers are kid-friendly. People who does something inappropriate will face severe punishments.

Adult Written byXiOmicronSigma October 31, 2011

The BEST game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written byTommygunn2171 January 1, 2020

Parents are haters on MINECRAFT

Parents think minecraft is violent LMAO, if parents think minecraft is violent then they’re probably not gonna let their kids play any game. It’s rated PG you strict protective parents. For those parents who think you kill animals for no reason [you’re stupid] you don’t, you kill them so you can survive. And if you’re wondering why you kill zombies and creepers, it’s because they try and kill you. So don’t be a hater get your kid the innocent game minecraft

Adult Written byZekeSonxx April 21, 2011

Non-biased review

I think the game is amazing. After playing for less then a hour, I discovered many many fun items. While there is a thriving game community for it, parents can easily divert their kid's playing multiplayer by just watching where they are, and keep them off of the many sites that feature servers, or sites that list a lot of servers.

Parent of a 1, 6, and 12-year-old Written byWall-e GO-4 M-O... May 2, 2019

A perfect game to get creative, not mindless like Fortnite

Survival mode includes the gathering of resources in order to make things, anything you can imagine! Does have monsters though, not very scary though. Creative is a sandbox in which you can make anything you wish without limit with the blocks provided. Multiplayer can be risky, but as long as you keep them on well regulated servers it's fine!

Adult Written byzuju August 23, 2011

Cool!!

IO think it is a awesome game!!!!

Adult Written byMortyMcMuffin March 29, 2020

There is nothing wrong with the game!

I don’t understand what is wrong with these soccer mums saying that there is bad language, gore, sex and other mature content. The game is great and is perfectly safe for kids. Maybe if your child is younger, (under 3 or 4) than it may be scared of the zombies and other monsters but if your child knows that they don’t exist in real life than it’s fine! Don’t listen to people saying it is violent and has sexy content, and if your child is “addicted” to the game than you should be taking better care of them!!!!

Adult Written byMollysBrown March 24, 2020

Epic game

For everyone!
Awesome!

Adult Written byiiCloudyCam October 4, 2015

One of the more family friendly games.

So, first things first.. This is one of the more family friendly games, imagine a world of blocks. Because that's exactly what it is! This game in "creative mode" is a very entertaining and hence "creative mode" creative. You can build almost anything you want! Roller coaster, houses, mansions you name it! When you get more advanced you can use redstone, redstone is the wiring and electricity of the game.. And for some more confusing. (including me) Now there is another mode, "survival mode" and just by the name, you know it's a little more intense. In "survival mode" you don't just get what you want, you have to earn it. And if you don't earn it before night time, you may be vulnerable to the monsters. Yes, the monsters.. However these monsters are not scary whatsoever, in fact.. Mojang, the creators of Minecraft, made them into plush toys for kids to sleep with. Now, one more mode.. "Online mode" This can be disturbing to some younger people, not the mode itself the people who are on it. Now, "online mode" is the only mode you use to play with others, including friends, family, and sometimes random strangers. Typically these random strangers are just there to enjoy the game too, but sometimes they have a dirty mouth.. Using words and theories that aren't appropriate for younger players, including the fact that they can chat back words,and even house address. However, I believe that if your child is mature not depending on the age.. Just plain maturity, he should be able to experience these words.. And of course we all know no one wants their child cursing, but aha! This is where the maturity comes in, and wether you think he/she should hear it. Generally I would be okay with a child playing this game, just.. Maybe keep online mode for something to do with people you know. Overall, awesome game for kids.

Adult Written byGerdofal March 10, 2012

Great game, just be sure to discuss with your child.

This excellent independent title is an wonderful educational opportunity for tweens and teens, with the ability to build and construct it fosters creative thinking and problem solving. All positive.

On the other hand, exposure to an online community brings privacy concerns as well as exposure to the creations of others, which may not be appropriate.

Know your child, discuss that others on the internet may make inappropriate creations in the game or use foul language, and discuss with your child how to handle such a situation. Also be sure to discuss privacy and not giving out real name or location.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byBetsy in Brentwood May 31, 2011

For the budding urban planner or engineer

Builds creativity; very addictive but at least they aren't killing anything. Quite a community...

Adult Written bymjc2was June 26, 2019

Adult Written bysenox13 December 27, 2011

minecraft: a popular game for people of all ages

minecraft is currently (12/26/11) the most popular downloadable game on the internet. the reason for rating the minimum age so high is because it can take a few years of computer usage to develop the motor skills, reaction time, and speed for building large or even small things, otherwise it can be extreamly tedious and frustrating.

minecraft can be educational in a number of ways. it obviously inspires creativity, but after 100+ hours of gameplay (something I have experianced many times) vanilla minecraft can become slightly boring, and this brings me to mods and the modding community. most mods are just for fun and are complety appropriate, but some mods could add something innapropriate (I am yet so find one though

lastly, I will cover the online community. setting up a server is a horribilly difficult experiance, it requires port forwarding, which is not easy, but it could be worse. (I suppose) The online community is usualy a not problem though there is no true way of protecting the things you build, so people can edit or grief (destroy) them.

minecraft is a perfectally appropriate game offline and offline (as long as the player understands right from wrong) i strongly recommend it.
S13

Adult Written byTechnoblade Nev... October 10, 2021

I think its a great game it helps with creativity and think its fun and all u need is an imagination

20 bucks is worth it. Its an absolutely amazing game!! Some boomers say its "VIoLenT OoHh" its a perfectly family friendly game (:

Adult Written bysuperveganmom420 January 7, 2021

fun

my son jumped of a building and said " it is ok i will respawn but i will lose my items "