Parent reviews for Minecraft

Sandbox-style game with open online play fosters creativity.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 10-year-old Written byKillYrTV January 1, 2013

This is the best of all games wrapped up into one.

I am a 30 yr old parent of 3, and I am a moderator on a Minecraft multi-player server. This game is great for all ages, as there are many, many ways to play, most of which have been addressed already. But I am in a unique position as a multiplayer server moderator and a parent, so I hope you will give my review some consideration.

Small children can play in "creative mode" which is basically infinite Legos on a beautiful landscape. "Survival mode" (age 7-10) provides an adventurous scenario where there is just enough of a sense of danger to kick-start your motivation to quickly learn to follow crafting recipes and develop basic tactics and problem solving strategies.

Playing on a multi-player server (age 10+) allows you a collaborative experience with people all over the world. Yes, sometimes there are conflicts on a multiplayer server, but on most servers, the moderators are there to ensure safe and fair gameplay, and there are opportunities for children to learn responsibility and real world problem solving skills. It is very important to choose a server that makes your childrens' safety a priority.

Once your child is knowledgeable and comfortable on a Minecraft server (age 12-18), a whole new experience begins to unfold. For example, on the server I help moderate, there are opportunities to create your own town and learn people and project management skills, and participate in economic and political systems on a large scale. For players that follow the rules and show initiative and loyalty, there are opportunities for advancement to staff positions where they are trained to help other players, develop self-confidence, and become role models. Eventually a player may be able to earn an internship by learning technical skills and help customize the game itself by assisting with the development of plugins that modify the way the game works on the server. They may learn valuable, transferable skills for website and app development, as well as large scale personnel and project management.

The main things parents should be concerned about is the quality of the multiplayer servers and how well moderated they are. The parent should spend a few hours playing on the server and studying the server's website before allowing a child younger than 12 to play on it. There is also the concern that the child will become obsessed with this game, because it is so awesome and intellectually stimulating! As with any form of entertainment, it is very important to set clear boundaries.

I hope that parents can realize how useful this game can be in many aspects of their child's development, and how fun it is for all ages, even parents!

Parent Written bybayareamediamaven May 30, 2012

Beware Minecraft is a Mindgame

Minecraft is like virtual legos when used in "creative" mode. Depending on the server, there can be enjoyable collaborating between players. I caution you to be careful if you allow your child to go onto a server for multiplayer. Most of the servers are hosted by strangers or by other unsupervised children and the rules can vary greatly by server. I am less concerned about the "monsters", then about your children's real life peers who may use Minecraft (I call it "Mindgames") to gain social power in the virtual and real world. I encourage you to make sure your child is aware of the unwritten social rules of the particular server before going on it. A child who may be vulnerable to being bullied, can easily be lured or teleported by more socially savvy "friends" into situations where they are manipulated and "killed". This can be upsetting and confusing to some children. It is also extremely addictive, which is why I gave it the 11 and up rating. I would also caution you to be careful of the youtube videos. I found some that were instructions on how to bully other children on Minecraft. I am a little bit concerned that CSM, doesn't seem to be aware of the social and emotional dangers of this game. I encourage CSM to take a deeper look at Minecraft since so many parents rely on your recommendations to decide whether or not to allow their child to play.

Adult Written byEAKugler April 22, 2011

A box of blocks

I would recommend being careful allowing kids on a public server, but the game can be played solo, and a smart parent with the resources could set up a controlled server, for the child to play online with friends. The game allows perfect gameplay in a nearly limitless world of imagination.

It is not unlike giving a child a box of infinite blocks which can be changed and altered to fit the needs and desires of the child. Kids can't choke on it, just be sure to limit how much time they play.

Adult Written byBob the fries June 16, 2018

Minecraft, something educational which kids want to play.

Do you know that 67% of commensensemedia reviews are made by people without kids, no experience! Stupid people say, TOO ADICTIVE? Well what if your kid was addicted to books?

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byNanorama April 27, 2011

Addicting for tween boys

My 12 year old son adores this game and needs to have his fingers pried off the keyboard. The game itself contains no bad language, or indeed any language. However there is the possibility of exposure to older players and their uncensored commentaries when your child visits Minecraft posts on YouTube.
Adult Written bybozaq January 3, 2012

Best in The world

This game is the best ever!!!

Adult Written byZekeSonxx April 21, 2011

Non-biased review

I think the game is amazing. After playing for less then a hour, I discovered many many fun items. While there is a thriving game community for it, parents can easily divert their kid's playing multiplayer by just watching where they are, and keep them off of the many sites that feature servers, or sites that list a lot of servers.

Parent of a 6 and 11-year-old Written byRPost78 March 29, 2013

Offline Security

This game can be played offline, so this eliminates the possibility of encountering suggestive and offensive material created by other players.
Parent of a 1, 6, and 12-year-old Written byWall-e GO-4 M-O... May 2, 2019

A perfect game to get creative, not mindless like Fortnite

Survival mode includes the gathering of resources in order to make things, anything you can imagine! Does have monsters though, not very scary though. Creative is a sandbox in which you can make anything you wish without limit with the blocks provided. Multiplayer can be risky, but as long as you keep them on well regulated servers it's fine!

Adult Written byVJOcean May 14, 2013

Minecraft opinion

I'm a bit disgusted with some of these parents who take one look on the game and hate it due to one mere bad experience. This game isn't violent at all. All you do is mine, make builds, defeat monsters to stay alive at night (or use a bed to sleep in and to skip night), and on rare occasions do PvP (player vs player) but PvP is fun once you do it long enough. There's no blood in this game and when you fall, hit a monster/player all that happens is you see a red tint. I would recommend this game to anyone whether they're young or old. It's a great game to let their imagination soar and to socially interact on multiplayer servers. If your child gets disturbed about something innapropriate on the game; obviously they shouldn't be playing it. There's a ton of teenagers playing the game, so yes there will be cursing. If they're watching a Minecraft video and the user curses, don't blame the youtuber if your child adds that one word to your vocabulary, blame your child for using that word.

Adult Written byzuju August 23, 2011

Cool!!

IO think it is a awesome game!!!!

Parent Written bySteve S. May 8, 2011

Great for tweens and above

Generally pretty good for creative kids who like to explore, kind of like Legend of Zelda without a plot. The biggest concern isn't the game, but rather the people who've recorded youtube videos of the gameplay and the language that they use in those videos. Otherwise, it's highly addictive for tweens and that is probably the biggest danger - tearing them away from this largely benign and creative game! One other thing...monsters and enemies can be a bit scary for younger tweens. Common Sense review is fairly accurate in my estimation. UPDATE: Minecraft has grown and expanded and is now much more fun and interesting due to various add-ons to the game. If your child doesn't have it, get it for them - all of your child's friends who have computer privileges probably already have it!

Adult Written byBabyBacon May 30, 2019

thE CRusADe

Adult Written byiiCloudyCam October 4, 2015

One of the more family friendly games.

So, first things first.. This is one of the more family friendly games, imagine a world of blocks. Because that's exactly what it is! This game in "creative mode" is a very entertaining and hence "creative mode" creative. You can build almost anything you want! Roller coaster, houses, mansions you name it! When you get more advanced you can use redstone, redstone is the wiring and electricity of the game.. And for some more confusing. (including me) Now there is another mode, "survival mode" and just by the name, you know it's a little more intense. In "survival mode" you don't just get what you want, you have to earn it. And if you don't earn it before night time, you may be vulnerable to the monsters. Yes, the monsters.. However these monsters are not scary whatsoever, in fact.. Mojang, the creators of Minecraft, made them into plush toys for kids to sleep with. Now, one more mode.. "Online mode" This can be disturbing to some younger people, not the mode itself the people who are on it. Now, "online mode" is the only mode you use to play with others, including friends, family, and sometimes random strangers. Typically these random strangers are just there to enjoy the game too, but sometimes they have a dirty mouth.. Using words and theories that aren't appropriate for younger players, including the fact that they can chat back words,and even house address. However, I believe that if your child is mature not depending on the age.. Just plain maturity, he should be able to experience these words.. And of course we all know no one wants their child cursing, but aha! This is where the maturity comes in, and wether you think he/she should hear it. Generally I would be okay with a child playing this game, just.. Maybe keep online mode for something to do with people you know. Overall, awesome game for kids.

Adult Written byGerdofal March 10, 2012

Great game, just be sure to discuss with your child.

This excellent independent title is an wonderful educational opportunity for tweens and teens, with the ability to build and construct it fosters creative thinking and problem solving. All positive.

On the other hand, exposure to an online community brings privacy concerns as well as exposure to the creations of others, which may not be appropriate.

Know your child, discuss that others on the internet may make inappropriate creations in the game or use foul language, and discuss with your child how to handle such a situation. Also be sure to discuss privacy and not giving out real name or location.

Adult Written byMortyMcMuffin March 29, 2020

There is nothing wrong with the game!

I don’t understand what is wrong with these soccer mums saying that there is bad language, gore, sex and other mature content. The game is great and is perfectly safe for kids. Maybe if your child is younger, (under 3 or 4) than it may be scared of the zombies and other monsters but if your child knows that they don’t exist in real life than it’s fine! Don’t listen to people saying it is violent and has sexy content, and if your child is “addicted” to the game than you should be taking better care of them!!!!

Adult Written byAurobusíček February 6, 2019
Minecraft is a good game. You can create almost everything in this game.
It's really easy to play, you can customize your keybinds. But, there is one thing. If you select in the game Easy, Normal, Hard or gamemode Hardcore, you will fight against monsters. The game has multiplayer, you can interact with other players.

Adult Written byMINCRAFT IS GOOD April 1, 2020

very good

the best game for kids its very good :) buy for kids.

Adult Written byCommonSensinator March 27, 2020

Minecraft

Minecraft is a sandbox style game that allows kids to survive or explore, either in their world or other's. Here are some positives and negatives of Minecraft.

Minecraft is fun and engaging, and as well as helping creativity skills, it can also help kids think about real world decisions.

Minecraft allows kids to do whatever they want, where in the real world, they may be limited by rules, but in minecraft... nope.

Minecraft can be addicting and can absorb kids time. I personally recommend limiting time to 15-20 minute periods with at least 30 min breaks in between.

Some servers use profane language and sexual messages that are inappropriate for children. Do not allow them to play online before they are at least understand some of the content that may be discussed.

Adult Written byCommonSensinator March 27, 2020