Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Compelling story with strong role models, loss, and battles.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byCoreyDotCom April 1, 2013

Great fun for father and son.

What a marvelous game. The art is amazing (created by the Studio Ghibli team). Great story, art, music, and adventure for parents and kids alike. The fighting can get a bit monotonous and difficult at times, a parent can be helpful for those under 10.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bychez_geek March 3, 2013

Great first RPG for younger players, tons of fun for parents too

Spoilers. This is a great first JRPG for families with children on the younger side of the gamer spectrum (7-10). There is one very difficult scene in the beginning involving the death of the character's mother. If you have a child that is sensitised to that issue, just start the game without them, and bring them in at the first playable level and narrate the story so far. The great thing about No No Kuni is that there is a lot of discussion on people's emotions and motivations. The villains are not two dimensionally evil; they turn out to be characters who started off with good motives but bad things happened to them and they gave in to despair. This game also presents a good opening to talk about depression if you need to. For the novice player playing with a parent there are a lot of ways to build up skills, like controller mechanics, party management, map reading while the parent handles the difficult fights. Kids can have great time naming and feeding familiars. Your major problem is going to be working out who gets the controller! Standard RPG violence (monster fights) nothing too gruesome.

Adult Written byNinoS October 5, 2018

Helping my son read better.

Ever since my child became interested in video games, ive tried steer him towards brain stimulating and problem solving heavy games. RPGs are great for this. I looked at this for myself and realized right away he would love this. It very much resembles pokemon, but with a more innocent and fairy tale type setting . My 6 year old son doesnt read every message, but he does read alot and is reading sentences well beyond his schooling in this game, often amazing me. The violence is very low level, nothing worse than say Shrek or the Lion King. Language can be a bit racy for the strictest parents...for instance one character uses "Stupid" alot but theres nothing that bothered me. It is an emotional story but very well done. All in all my 6 year old LOVES this, and i love that he is practicing reading and problem solving. He gets to play about 45 minutes a night, which is enough time to progress the story usually.