Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for No Man's Sky

Evolving sci-fi tale spans vast galaxy with endless play.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byDaniel H. March 8, 2018

Good for nurturing curiosity and inquisitiveness

My 5 year old son loves this game, it is easy to play and a completely open space to explore. He does not understand the core premise of the game, such as crafting and building things- but he loves just exploring and discovering the planets and star systems. It would be a good game to teach young children the duel control stick navigation scheme as well, since there is little stress. I would recommend 'Sandbox' mode for children, since it requires almost no effort. Parents should be aware this: You can be armed with a gun in this game, mostly used for mining- but can also be used to kill 'Fauna' (which resemble animals). It's not extremely violent, no blood or disembodiment. The Fauna will just make a distressed sound and fall over. There are times when space pirates will contact the player and demand their money or other goods, or they will harm the player. (General threats/bullying)

Parent of a 3, 9, and 15 year old Written byTorbjourn L. August 9, 2017

No Man's Sky more like all Must Buy!

This game is probably the greatest game ever! It is so fun and cool! I liked it so much! Please nice to my kids and me and stop harassing us Dave! I am not an object and this game helped me discover my inner self! One day I hope to become this game!

Adult Written bycsense4good August 11, 2018

Not Suitable for Children - Heavy (but hidden) Demonic Content

Played with my children, thought it would be a fun survival experience with limited violence. It gives that appearance, but it has a very dark "lore" (that is, the story behind the game). Shortly into the game I encountered a "Gek" building (specifically a monolith) that introduces the player to heavy demonic practices. These include demonic possesion, murder and suicide - rewarding the player for choosing their preferred suicide method. I was horrified at this non-disclosed content and glad my children were not present. After this point I did a google search of No Man's Sky Gek Lore to reveal the following: "They are very religious, and their culture involves demonic practices, witchcraft, and sacrificial ceremony." and "the Gek's fervent wish to enhance their knowledge about demons and witches" Had I known this content was in the game I would not have purchased it as I was after a space exploration game for my children. The main story anchors curiosity to 'the crimson eye' and that the player is being watched.. but it is not forthright about the source. This is not suitable for children. It is heavily demonic in an underhanded way. I have removed it from Steam - here's how.. Select "Help" Select "Steam Support" Select "Games, Software, etc." Select No Man's Sky Select "I want to permanently remove this game from my account" Select "Ok, remove the listed games from my account permanently" Steam will then say The package No Man's Sky has been permanently removed from your account.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byNed 4 Sped December 23, 2016

Appropriate for all ages, but failed to live up to critic's hype

This game is to start off, not a horrible game. If this game seems as if it appeals to you, then it probably does; but it's gameplay is incredibly repetitive, and gets dull quickly. It's gameplay obviously can't be understood by two year olds, but is appropriate for all ages.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byMartin N. August 12, 2018

to vast

game has 2 modes normal easiest normal hardest and creative played the easiest and you can die getting Killed by bots or dying from the planets extreme conditions the planets are very well designed the creative mode has unlimited resources my 2 major concerns the the camera modes were to complex and there is no way of spawning your ship
Adult Written byNiKoLaKo January 10, 2019

I think if you want a good game go to elite dangerous

Stink