Kid reviews for Overwatch

Fantastic, frantic shooter with some violence, open chat.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTrent Valve June 2, 2016

CSM Back At It Again With The Too Old Ratings

Here is the motto of Common Sense Media. "If the game is teen it must be rated by us 13 or higher" But come on this is Overwatch. Overwatch has no profanity, sex, or drugs. I don't count a cowboy smoking tobbaco drugs. He isn't smoking a blunt. I don't count a mildly provocative character as sex. Bare nudity? No. Full Nudity? No. Sex Scenes? No! Sex is at a 0. Of course there is violence in a fighting game! But the blood is about as equal to the Skylanders series which is at a 5 for commercialism because having all characters will cost a whopping 3000 dollars (around). However this game got a 4 rating which is one measly less. All you buy in this game is cosmetics not freaking characters like SkyScammers and BattleBorn The Leach. CMS states the game has lots of merchandise like t-shirts and toys. Every game does. But not everygame has a level 4 on commercialism! Characters getting dismembered? Why is this in the age review!!! The training robots and one robotic character will fall apart upon death with no blood! Just like in SkyScammers. Honestly an 8 year old can play this game without it tainting their mind but they'll never get the chance when parents see the number 13 up there. Take it from me. This is fine for the average eight year old! There are also pretty good messages and role models with a very nice moral background which communicates the goods and bads of wars as well as multiple viewpoints too not only educate but immerse their viewers in a realistic world that is unrealistic. LOL! It's very easy to play the game. Characters take seconds to learn but hours to master just like a good fighting game should do. Button mashing will get you nowhere but good reflexes, playstyle, and strategy will! The game is a blast and CMS is famous for not allowing great games to be played by younger audiences when they should be!

Teen, 15 years old Written bywizardortitan June 7, 2016

Perhaps the most kid-friendly FPS out there

While there are ever-so-slightly less violent FPS that have managed to get an E/E10+ rating, I would consider Overwatch the more kid-friendly game. As Common Sense Media mentioned in their review, Overwatch has unique good messages to it, such as that morality is not always black or write, how to overcome obstacles and work with others. The violence is relatively mild, even when compared to other T-rated shooters. For example, Halo 5 had a bit more realism to it, and the blood splatter was on-screen for longer. In Overwatch, blood is infrequent, and the whole game has an abstract style to it separating it easily from reality.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNewcastle_Hype May 29, 2016

No Drugs Or Sex

There is no sex or drugs in it other than the cigar used by one of the characters. This game focuses on strategy rather than violence and teaches kids a lot about tactics. There is no point to not get this game for your children. Great game! I think kids 8 and under cannot handle the online interactions although, and thus I rate it 9 and up!

Kid, 11 years old June 3, 2016

Very solid game

Overwatch is a very solid game, really fun and easy to play. It is an FPS with guns but there isn't any blood and the guns look really futuristic and more cool than violent. Nothing wrong with this game at all. As long as you know how to play as a team and with good strategy this is great.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFusink June 26, 2016

CMS know how to over exaggerate

The common sense media review is completely ridiculous. There is 0 sex AT ALL. There are 0 drugs AT ALL. The closest you can get to a drug is a cowboy smoking a cigar, but what do you expect? PG tv shows have people smoking cigars soo what's the problem? Very little blood, guns are cooler than they are dangerous. Dismemberment of a character? There's a robot character when he dies spring and screws go everywhere... When a character explodes, it's body just turns to a rag doll. I hate the poor kids that are told no over getting this game because CSM said its 13+ and gave false info.

Kid, 12 years old August 9, 2016

Awesome

The Overwatch is an internatonal group of heroes fighting to save the world. The game introduces this story but does not follow it in the gameplay. In the game you play online with two teams. You can choose a hero and fight for your team. There are different groups of heroes that help out the team in different ways, such as support heroes who dont do much damage but can heal players on theyre team. There is an online voice chat, and I have run into some people who swear or say other questionable things but you can turn off the chat if your worried for your kid. The game itself isint that violent. There is a little bit of blood but its pretty rare and its a small amount. The blood is hard to notice in the fadt gameplay. The characters are awesome, and make you feel as awesome as them when you play. The game does not have level advantages so its all skill based witch might make the game harder for younger kids. There is a little language but VERY light and sometimes in different languages. The heroes are from all around the world so its cool when they have an accent or even speak another language! Its a great message for kids and a great game!

Teen, 13 years old Written byjhood30 June 23, 2016

Best Game Ever

Teen, 15 years old Written byMr.ChrisGold June 15, 2016

It's okay!

Fun, cartoon styled gun blasting fun, characters are very like-able and have there own personality. P.s: There are cheaters in the game... so beware...

Teen, 14 years old Written byCub5 September 2, 2016

Attention to parents who won't let their child get the game.

This is the most kid friendly FPS I've ever played. There is no sexual content or swearing. The violence is NOTHING compared to a 12+ movie and I think a 10 year old of average maturity should be fine with this game. There is virtually no blood and if parents are concerned about the shooting, you are playing as the good guy fighting the bad guy and it doesn't look very realistic. Also most of the time you are fighting against cartoony robots not real people. The game is actually very cartoony and doesn't look real at all. The game also helps with your child's team building skills and reaction times. If your child is over 10 or 11 parents should have nothing to worry about, it's NOWHERE near as violent as most 12+ movies and overall a kid-teen friendly game, so this is a great gift for ages 10 and over.

Teen, 13 years old Written byIPaulasaurus June 26, 2016

Never gets repetitive!

This is a great game. I have played for hours on end, and it never gets boring. Many different gamemodes, a competitive ranked system, only downside is that other players often curse, but there is a chat filter.

Teen, 16 years old Written byIkechukwu E. August 2, 2016

The best game I have ever played in my life(as of August 2nd, 2016)

Beware of one character(Tracer, my first video-game crush) .

Teen, 13 years old Written byD00M5_D8Y June 4, 2016

A battleground full of character!!!

First of, lets get something out the way, by no means is this game stereotypical or sexist. Yes, some women have revealing outfits, but the same could be said for some of the men. You could say the characters use "drugs" to heal themselves which even saying that is over exaggerating. And literally there is no blood or gore just a few bullets so the violence is low to a mature standard. Now the ACTUAL game, its excellent. While sometimes it gets a little bit repetetive, the character and feel-good vibe with the bright map design could keep you addicted for hours. Also, teamwork and skill is a LARGE part of this game so young children might learn a thing or two. Over all, Its brilliant. Go out and buy it RIGHT NOW.

Kid, 11 years old June 29, 2016
Kid, 9 years old August 29, 2016

This Game is made for kids! and teens but id say both 8+ and also common sense doesn't say that it says bad words it says the damn and hell so enjoy this game so awesome!!

great game for your kids

Teen, 13 years old Written bymemeboi2018 October 19, 2017

We need more 2 year olds

2 year old genji mains are my people

Teen, 13 years old Written byUsername Here September 20, 2016

Strangers, Kids play with adults.

It is a great game, diverse characters, teaches you to strategize and improvise, and more! There is a bit of gore, and some characters can be revealing (tight clothes, v-necks) but it's pretty minor. Make sure your child doesn't play it too much, explain to them that its not real life, and how violence isn't good, etc... if you're concerned, its rare for your child to be like that, but it does happen. Monitor the play time and you should be fine. One other thing, be careful as this is a multiplayer game, people can chat, and they swear, a lot. If you use voice chat, you will find most players are adults. Other than that, I love the game, Haven't had any problems, and most people are really friendly! Though I very much think that no child under 10 should play this, I know from experience, it can be a toxic place sometimes. PLEASE be careful talking to strangers. The community is nice, but searching up images will get you very inappropriate things, lots of sexual drawings and more. I'm not concerned about the violence, but the people you play with.

Teen, 15 years old Written byRobert_G June 28, 2016

It's alright

I think the game is very cartoon styled but is heavily borrowed off.of a game called TeamFortress2 but gameplay wise is nothing lIke TeamFortress2. The character selection is all broken down into groups offensive, defensive, tank, support. The characters are also known as (HEROES) characters have their special ability known as your (ULTIMATE) ability giving characters special advantages or assistance for your team. Heroes in the game by its self have difficulty rating certain characters take a lot of time to master and some are just plain easy to master and are what you should probably start with when first acquiring this game. Me I played this game.for a bit but I got bored of it and went back to Destiny I'm waiting for more content to start coming out. There are cosmetics and voice Lincecum and gestures that take much time to earn from lootboxes. LOOTBOXES can be purchased with real world currency but just lootboxes everything else has to be earned from playing.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDeepInhale November 28, 2016

Great game, Least Violent FPS Game I've ever played.

Overwatch is an excellent game and definently one of my favorites. It's nothing like any other FPS game I've ever played. I would personally say that this should be rated E10+ rather than T. For some reason, CMS says that character dismememberment is in this game, when a character dies there is NO dismemberment (except for the ROBOTIC character, Bastion). Also, over half of the roster doesn't have guns (not counting laser guns as a gun). There is extremely little blood that is rarely seen. This game also isn't like a normal FPS game that's extremely dark. The overall vibe of the game is about heroism. And the graphics are in an animated Pixar style. This game has no sex, and no drugs or alcohol. One character smokes a cigar, though. I would highly recommend this game to any family with children 10 or over.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykeemstar wants me October 16, 2016

Great game for all those who have a PlayStation 4, XBOX One, or PC

I think that Overwatch might be the best, friendly shooting game out there! The characters are fun and colorful and it's easy to pick up and play. The only problem is that kids can listen to what others over the internet have to say and sometimes thats not a good thing. There's definitely a few kids who will give out personal info which isn't ok. As long as your child is smart enough to not give or personal info this game is ok for them.

Teen, 13 years old Written byOverwatchdude February 19, 2017

Best game ever, great for kids

This game is definitely good for kids!!! My dad is very cautious about the video games that I play, but still decided to purchase the game for me. I got it when I was 12 years old, and I'm now 13. He has watched me play before and thinks it's great. I will admit it VERY OCCASIONALLY uses the word damnit when a character is upset, but it doesn't matter because a lot of parents don't understand that kids here worst stuff at school all of the time. It has a great message that the world could always use more heroes and you should show your kids some animated short which bring a great message. The character Mccree smokes a cigar but that is just because he is a classic western cowboy. Violence is fine for kids if all ages. In fact, my cousins, (4 and 6) have played the game before. It is a colorful kid friendly game and is the only game I've played in months!!! FAVORITE GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be aware some female characters may show some boob and butt.