Kid reviews for Oxenfree

Edgy adventure on deserted isle is engaging yet mysterious.

Teen, 14 years old Written bys6uare June 17, 2019

An amazing and heartbreaking story.

This game focuses on the teenage brain and the reality of high school and college. We’ve all been teens, and I know the comments like “I’d screw so and so” and the “let’s get a drink at the beach” sound bad, but it’s really no different than what you’d hear in a locker room. But with all of that aside, the story focuses on how people drift further and further away from each other. We’ve all had that one close friend we knew all our lives, and then one day, they just vanish. This game has put me on the verge of tears on every ending, regardless my decisions.

Teen, 13 years old Written byjoe flemming May 12, 2020

Best game I have ever played but it’s not what you think

Ok so Oxenfree is an amazing game but some of the content is not for children. You are allowed to drink beer smoke and there are some scenes where the character talks about eating a “magical” brownie and if you don’t get the reference then they are referring to a weed brownie. They also talk about sex but only in one scene. There is almost no violence but there are a lot of scenes of suicide like hanging jumping off buildings and drowning. Now that’s not the only thing that parents should be aware of, the story it self can be very confusing and hard to catch onto and that is a major part in a video game. The horror elements in the game are trying to cover up the story hidden within. I wouldn’t necessarily call this game a horror game but more of an experience. The story it self is very sad and focuses mainly on character development and trying to keep your relationships intact with your friends. So to wrap it up, parents if you want to buy your kid this game please note that it is not for the faint of heart. Let me know if this helped!

Teen, 13 years old Written byAdEaNs June 15, 2019

Story rich but a bit disturbing

OXENFREE is a game where you have a party on an island that when you open a tunnel to another world becomes full of ghosts. That may seem happy and fun until everyone gets teleported away from you and you have to find them. Also along the way, encounter many scares that could and probably are not useful to the plot. It has some puzzle aspect but not much. You need to be ok with ghosts possessing your friends and eventually one ghost kidnaps one of your friends once again and you have to go save her and it seems like your basically a ghost buster in a game. The main reason there is thirteen plus up there is because while all this is happening you get smoking and alcohol all the time. AND IF YOU THOUGHT IT WAS OVER, there is another act where you are stuck in a time loop and you need to figure that out and convince your past self to not go the the island.

Teen, 16 years old Written bykappy6554 April 24, 2018

Awesome and creepy sci fi drama with some mature things

Oxenfree is a creepy sci fi drama with a heavy emphasis on dialogue. Players control Alex and make dialogue and movement decisions. You can be a nice person or be a downright jerk, with characters reacting to your choices. The story is engaging and makes some very good characters. There are some questionable moments though. Characters sometimes make sexual references (mostly jokes or that “they did it”) Drugs are also sometimes discussed and one character says he has eaten brownies with some “magic” and offer it to you. Some characters (and the player if they so chose) smoke cigarettes and drink bottles of beer. While Common Sense says that violence is only discussed, there are some acts of violence seen. One character is seen hung and soon after throwing themselves out of a window (you see her land and collapse, but no blood or gore is shown), a character is also seen drowning and other characters are often seen lifeless on the ground. Characters also swear infrequently and the player can choose to swear and I believe there is one “F bomb” dropped. While the game has it’s mature moments, they are infrequent. This is one of the best indies I’ve played with heartfelt and creepy story with positive messages of friendship and family importance.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBees1310 April 7, 2018

Spooky but amazing game!

This game was really fun for me (but i don’t recommend playing at night)! The graphics were amazing and the chose your adventure format was so cool! The ghost force Classrisa (a character in the game) to hang her self and jump off a building and there is a joke a about Harding tower (Named for Richard “Dick” Harding) but otherwise a great game! The end really makes you think!
Teen, 16 years old Written byDeterminationDog March 29, 2018

Brilliant game for almost anyone!

Firstly, this is a great game with a brilliant story, artstyle and characters. The game, in my opinion, isn't particularly mature at all, it surrounds the story of five teens, and therefore there's obviously gonna be references to things that teens do, but honestly it's all pretty clean. Language is minimal, with the strongest word I remember being a reference to 'd-cks'. There is a certain part of the game where a character is shown to throw themselves off a building, and the game is VERY creepy, however, it's nothing that's gonna scar you for life. The game also allows for the main character's personality to be altered, depending on the player's actions, and the game has an overall positive message to give. I would really recommend this one!

Teen, 14 years old Written bytyphoon234 November 25, 2017

Ok for 13+

Got sexual references and some swearing but overall great game!
Teen, 15 years old Written bylazycade February 25, 2017

A great game with an even better mystery at it's helm

I'm really surprised how many radars this flew under. The sound design, art style, writing, and characters are all brilliantly done. The mystery that surrounds the game is smart, intriguing, and has a great pay-off if you're patient.

Anyways, if you're cautious about having your kids play this, I'll sum it up for you. There's a good and a bad path, with the former bringing up good messages and morals about friendship and the such. There is very little profanity (from what I played), but it does show up... just, not in large chunks. There are also sexual references, but none of them are too graphic or go on for longer than they should, and are passable if your kid is mature enough to understand them. There are also some drug references (as one of the characters is a stoner who eats brownies laced with marijuana and is effected by them), but, much like the sexual references, none of them are very graphic. There are also references to things like stealing cars and driving drunk. The player can also choose to drink alcohol in the beginning of the game, though it has no visible or minor effect, so it can be ignored. The game is great if you or your kid(s) like games with good stories and decision making, though be weary that this almost completely overshadows the game-play. Just remember: though nothing is too graphic, if you are mixed on references to sex, drugs, and drinking - no matter the level at which the references go to - you might want to think twice.