Kid reviews for Papers, Please

Mature immigration game forces tough ethical choices.

Teen, 15 years old Written byns123 April 16, 2014

Brilliant game - almost a masterpiece...

This is a brilliant game, there's no other games quite like it. You have the role of an immigration officer in a fictional communist country in the early '80s. You must make decisions whether to let someone with a sad story in or not or to co-operate with a terrorist group. The games gets harder as you advance, with more documents required. Although this games can be a bit repetitive after a few play throughs, there are about 20 possible endings depending on your decisions/actions. In terms of content: Violence: Later in the game your have access to guns and can shoot terrorists trying to enter the country. This game is 16-bit, so the violence is not realistic although there is blood. Sex: 16-bit nudity is visible if an entrant is scanned. This can be turned off. Swearing: Some mild swear words; d***n, s***t etc. Drinking/drugs/smoking: None This game, content wise is suitable for children younger than 12, but children under 12 may not have the patience for this game.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybagelboy1337 July 19, 2014

Intense

This game being a masterpiece is brutal and intense. you take the roll of an immigration officer. you must only let the people with correct papers through, but there is swearing, but not much, nudity but you can turn that off in settings. they use a lot of terrorism and can get quite violent. also there is a gang aspect to it, id suggest that if your child is well educated on immigration, that it would be great. just be warned, it can be scary to some people.
Teen, 16 years old Written byVioletRaven975 January 12, 2015

Papers, Please: More Than Just a Shoot em Up!

Parents: When I say know your child, I do mean it. There is a fair bit of language throughout the game, and while nudity is an optional setting in the menu it can be easily turned back on. All disclaimers aside though, this is a wonderful game by all rights, one that I can proudly call a piece of art. There is a treasure trove of AMAZING conversations to have with your kid about issues like morality, poverty, and even politics/history. This is a game that greatly teaches kids about how everything is not necessary black and white in nature in a fun and engaging manner. Again, know your child, this is the kind of game that can really punch you in the face with the reality of the situation. This game time and time again confronts you with choices that will usually make you regret something or other no matter what choice you make. This is probably the game's greatest strength and also what makes it such a tough call for what age you should allow your kid to play. I think by fourteen you can probably let your kid play it without worry. Eleven is the very earliest (still another year couldn't hurt.)

Kid, 10 years old March 31, 2016

Has some educational value and pretty fun!

Before you ask, yes they're not kidding. This game is dark and scary at times. But there is some educational value as it teaches kids to be insightful, to examine the clues and helps them come to a conclusion based on evidence. Although the world presents itself as a dark and scary place, players can develop a sense of safety in the little booth, just doing papers. The game's difficulty helps portray a controlled, dystopian and sensitive enviornment that players can immerse themselves in if giving enough time and isolation. You even get to meet all sorts of characters. Although the swearing in the game is a little mild it's perfectly ignorable. In my opinion, it's easy to read the wiki, get some information and get used to the game basics when you first play. It's not too hard to get used to. However the swearing should be toned down a little.

Kid, 11 years old January 31, 2016

Amazing for multitasking.

This game is really really fun. You are basically a guy who wins a lottery a labor lottery and becomes a security officer at the airport or border checkpoint or something like that. After every day you get to spend the money you earned on providing shelter and food to your family. So first let's look at violence. There is only a little bit when a suicide bomber comes or when you shoot them with your tranquilizer or real gun (unlocks later in the game). Then the graphics, it is pixelated but it's still a good game. Now for language, yes on occasion the people get pissed and curse, but it's not a big deal. Your children have probably heard people cursing before. Normally they will day something like BS or s--t or maybe f--k but I've personally never heard it. Finally nudity yes there is nudity, (pinas, brows, etc.) when you take an X-Ray but you can easily turn off nudity and just see nipples and no private parts. Watch somebody play a little before you make your decision but it really isn't that inappropriate. There is also a lot of replay ability and there are about 20 ways the game can end. Overall this is a great game for PC owners that are looking for something different.

Privacy & Safety
Teen, 14 years old Written byLordDeadpool January 20, 2016

An amazing game!!!

Papers, Please is a fantastic game with a great story. The only thing is... it is filled with profanity, adult themes, and murder. One thing you must do in Papers Please is check a person's gender if their documents says Male when it is a female, etc., and you must do full body scans, and nudity is included. If you are worried about this, have your child pause the game and turn of nudity. Language includes frequent sh*ts, the occasional f*ck, and of course simple uses of hell and crap. People also offer to have sex with the main character to get in the country, and females can give coupons to strip clubs. There is also killing, including: If you accidentally let in a terrorist, they can kill a guard, emitting pixelated blood, and murder is talked about in news reports.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCloakedSIth17 March 27, 2017
Great game, but too much swearing and nudity.

Teen, 13 years old Written byquickreviews August 20, 2016

A deep exploration of the human condition

Papers, Please presents a astonishingly well put together exploration of the life of someone you rarely think about, a border officer. set during a mirror of the cold war era of Russia, Papers, Please puts you in the shoes of said officer, stamping the passports of immigrants to the fictional country of Arstotzka, eventually during the campaign the player will begin running into a terrorist organization that you can decide to either cooperate with or work against, there is some 16-bit blood but nothing especially graphic, as well as pixelated nudity during a search of an immigrant's body (if necessary), this can be turned off. Overall, Paper's, Please is, with all of it's little flaws, in my opinion, the best look at the cold war era of Russia you can find.
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2015

Pretty fun!

Ok, this isn't some action-filled awesome game that'll have kids asking for it, but for many, (like me), this is a pretty deep game, full of tough decisions. I feel that some kids won't get it, and will call it boring, it integrates those tough decisions into a challenge, which can help in things such as mental agility and those sort of things. And it's pretty cheap, I got it for about $10 USD. It does have some swearing, but most kids have already heard it, heck, some of my fellow 5th grade friends swear themselves, and daily, so it's not going to negatively affect anyone. So have fun!

Kid, 10 years old December 18, 2016

A Masterpiece

Are you serious? Only 10 reviews? This game is a work of art which takes place in a communist country (fictional) with a moral ethic standing right in front of you. Need I say more? Yes? You are the role model. Your choices affect the outcome of it all. Notes: Minor language Nudity, but can be disabled Pink Vice flyer may be disturbing Violence, cannot be disabled The endless unlock code is 62131. In endless mode, there is no swearing, sex, or violence.

Kid, 11 years old July 3, 2017

Fine if a child is used to swearing.

Papers Please is an extremely enjoyable game that is very easy to get to grips with. Sometimes, a character will drop the F bomb or use other swear words but it's fine if your child is used to that sort of language. There is a part of the game which involves giving people an x-ray to look for any smuggled weapons or contraband and this will everything underneath the characters clothes but nudity can be turned off very easily in the options. Overall, I think this game would be good for anybody aged 10 and upwards.

Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2018

Lucas Pope, you genius

Oh boy. Where do I start? This game is a work of art. If the story was gone, it would be the worst game ever. But no. On the first day, I realised that I had to put my family’s safety in front of others. On the second day, I realised I might have to let my son or uncle go cold that night as the terrorist attack had cut the day short, and with it my salary. But the fifth day gave me the hugest punch in the gut. I had just allowed a man to pass, but his wife, following on from him, had appeared to have misplaced her entry permit. “Please,” she begged. “If you send me back to Obristan, they will kill me.” I had received 3 M.O.A citations that day, which would mean that should I allow her through even though she had no permit, I would lose 5 credits, causing sick son's condition to worsen as I would not be able to buy medicine. What would you do in this situation?

Kid, 11 years old July 22, 2018

Amazing Game

I watched JackSepticEye play this entire game, and that's all I need to know to know that this is an amazing game. So far as content, it's got a considerably large amount of language considering we're taking about in a game, here, with 1 use of f--k, shit, damn, and maybe hell. The violence in this game is more intense than it is actually violent or gory, considering that everyone in the game is pixelated. Violence consists of terrorists coming in from the border, which can result in bombings, which you can see as the terrorist throws the bomb and some blood comes out of the deceased, but again, it's far away, and it's pixelated. There's also options where you are involved with murder, or you shoot the terrorists to help them not kill anyone. So far as sex, in the beginning of the game, some people give cards to what seems like some sort of club, and they just recommend they go there, but you never actually go. Also, in the settings, there's a button for nudity, which you can check or uncheck, and the nudity stands for having nude pictures taken when someone needs to be searched for weapons or contraband. This can easily be turned on or off, so it's not too big of a worry, as long as it's off. There's also one scene in a newspaper article that says that a man was caught for human trafficking. And that's about it. Great game, definetely recommend it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byEdgyMcEdge March 16, 2018

It’s appropraite

You can turn off nudity so you know

Teen, 17 years old Written byoofffff December 20, 2017

Papers, Please

This is an awesome game! The game has harsh swearing, guns etc. But!! It really gives you the feeling of controlling a border wall between 2 enemy fictional countries. Meaning that terrorists can lurk out at any corner and bomb the wall. Kids under 12 might not have the patience to play this game though, the psychological power and intense puzzle skills needed are probably far too much for a child. Recommended if you like spending 1 in game month(or 3-5 hours) trying to protect a border, WITHOUT getting arrested and getting one of the bad endings.
Kid, 9 years old December 17, 2017

Papers Please. The Game that won many rewards.

This game is fantastic! There is a tiny bit of swearing and a little bit of innuendo but put all of that aside and you have got a fascinating game by Lucas Pope.