Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Pokémon Diamond

Classic Pokémon format, this one's worth catching.

Adult Written bymoneymew4 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byDix O. August 12, 2016

Good, but slow.

The main problem I have with this game is how slow it is. Transitions between battling are all rather slow, making progress tedious. As it was my first Pokémon game as a kid, I didn't really notice its slowness until I bought other games, which ran much faster. I'd recommend buying Pokémon Platinum over this one. You can get more Pokémon and features with the same story and region. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl do have good moments, too: there's a scene where someone uses a Legendary Pokémon to try to destroy the world and create a new one. The final boss of the game has a very exciting reveal, too. You won't be able to guess who they are until the last moment. Violence is not graphically shown though there are bomb threats and other potentially distressing themes. A lake is blown up and there are fish writhing everywhere. Some Pokémon are tortured in an underground lab and interacting with them describes their pain in text form. One little extra feature that I will note on is that there is a particular spot in a city which can make the game freeze if using a bike there. While it can be very risky, you can also exploit this glitch to get ultra-rare Pokémon like Shaymin or Darkrai. You can't do this in Platinum. Look up tutorials online.

Ease of Play
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

I'm a huge fan of pokemon. This game was not Pokemon's best.

I have always loved the Pokemon games. This isn't the best of them; I'd recommend HeartGold/SoulSilver before this, because they are remakes of old, excellent Pokemon games that are much better than this. Or just wait until Pokemon White and Black versions come out. This game was entertaining. Fun, even. But not the best there is. It feels like Nintendo has run out of ideas when it comes to pokemon and is digging through a trash bin, turning every random thing they can think of into a pokemon. This game is fun but not nearly as good as they used to be. Actually, if you really want to be economical, go out and buy a used Gameboy Color Silver, Gold, Yellow, Red, or Blue Version. They are better than the new ones and you can get them for a quarter a piece now.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written bybeckyhall April 9, 2008

my kids are obsessed!

My 8 year old bought Pearl and my 11 year old bought Diamond, both with their allowance money saved up. They bought this game in mid-May, and they have been playing it nearly non-stop ever since! (it's now early July) They love trading pokemon with each other and friends, and they were completely excited that they could migrate from previous versions and into the new Pokemon Battle Revolution game for the Wii. This one's definitely worth the money as far as holding their interest! Challenging for both boys, but well within reach.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Problems for a 6 year old

Although CS has rated this on for 6+, it's really for older kids who can read. There's an enormous amount of reading needed to play this game, and my 6 year old is just starting to read. This was not mentioned in the the review. The game is quite complicated, but my child has caught on pretty quickly, and as long as he has an adult nearby who can read all the dialog to him, he has a great time playing.
Parent of an infant year old Written byHolly R. October 18, 2017

Hands down WORST main series games

I played this year's back and even now I don't care for this game. Now I know many people have fond memories of these games but I believe that you should just skip this one and get Platinum Version instead. My issue with this game is the story is just convoluted and mediocre. The bad guys are just weird. And the game play is way too long which can cause a problem nowadays because of it being too time consuming. The story is too bland to have a game take this long. The other games after this don't take nearly as long and are more story driven. I just found this one too long and boring personally and that's why I put a higher age range, not for violence, but because it would bore younger children.
Parent Written byobnoxiousm September 1, 2010

Best Pokemon Game Ever, Great Dissection of Cult of Personality

I'm coming at this review as an educator second (No 13 year old kid for me, just a bunch of students), but a Pokemon player first. I've been at Pokemon since I was in sixth grade and Diamond/Pearl is the best installment in the series. In the game you play a kid on his or her journey to travel and train Pokemon in battles, but along the way you get mixed up in trying to stop Team Galactic, a cult who wants to rebuild the world from scratch to get rid of the evils of human spirit. To do this, they, sorry for the spoilers, capture and experiment upon living Pokemon. Not for the faint of heart. The violence in this game, while not as bad as the XD/Colosseum cycle, is pretty high for a Pokemon game in what happens to several Pokemon. Also, the political controversy int his game may be too much for some smaller kids to truly grasp, especially since the translators made a few links between Team Galactic's ideology and structure and that of a controversial real world religious group, whose name I am almost afraid to mention. Aside from that though, the game takes a frank look at what kind of person would join one of these evil syndicates and how a charismatic leader can induce people to do bad things. Dark themes for young kids. Maybe your older kids can appreciate it. Another thing I want to mention is Cynthia, the female champion of the game and a great role model. She's friendly, compassionate, generous, always searching for the truth, and extremely tough. As a feminist I was glad to see her included, but also the fact that she's a woman champion almost completely unmentioned by the game. If you play on the level I do she doesn't seem so great given the implications of how high her Pokemon's stats are and how she must have rejected tons of other Pokemon to get such good ones, but most players will not reach that conclusion. I love this game and I still play it regularly. It's my favorite Pokemon game and I recommend it to the oldest of my younger cousins and even my teenage students, but sometimes I worry about what my six year old cousin would make of Team Galactic and Cyrus.

Educational Value
Adult Written byMerSorax2007 April 9, 2008

A Must have!

I do want a Pokemon Diamond and a Nintendo DS for Christmas! I discovered Pokemon ever since I was in forth grade! My parents had no clue what pokemon was about until the day my whole family saw the first two pokemon shows on TV. My mother feared it would be a bad influence, but I didn't care.