All parent member reviews for Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver Versions

Parent Written byHoneyTherapy June 29, 2013

Great

I played the original "Pokemon Gold" when I was in college so I decided to give this game a try. I loved it. They removed the gambling in this game!
Adult Written byKenChanCake September 24, 2011

Pokemon offered me math and vocabulary skills when I was little.

Excellent remakes of Gold/Silver/Crystal version.
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

Good remake of a classic

This game is a remake of a classic; my first GameBoy game which I received in second grade. It was (and still is) the very best friends to take along for long car rides and other waits to pass the time. Its a hard game for younger kids too, and can even be challenging for older kids--this game built up so much patience, dedication, and strategy for me when I was little. The premise is that you raise fantasy creatures called Pokemon to protect you as you explore the wild world. Wild pokemon attack your character, and you use your own pokemon to fight for you (kind of like a guard dog!) and bring them down. Doing this makes your pokemon get more experienced and get stronger. No blood, no contact even, everything very implied and cartoonish, and no pokemon dies. Yet its a good first strategy game and can be either as simple or as complicated as the child is able to play. I bought this game for old time's sake! Enjoyed a good many hours with an old friend. Its exactly the same as the older version but with much better graphics...good game. I recommend it.
Educator and Parent of a 8 year old Written byannefessler December 8, 2010
It's an awesome game. You should get it! In it, you can catch powerful Pokemon such as Entei. In it you can solve puzzles, such as you might have to go across ice in the game, and if you need to stop, you have to run into rocks or something on the ice to stop. There are people called Gym Leaders in the game, and I have beat 16 of them. -- Jacob, age 8
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written bymmcm1126 October 30, 2010

this game is a great starting game that causes its players to stratigize.

i like this game for my kids because it has the educational value that comes from forming stratigies, the positive message of takeing care of animals, in this case pokemon, and once the concept of levels and types are understood this game is very easy to play.
Parent Written byobnoxiousm September 1, 2010

Not the best Pokemon, but a pedometer! You can't beat that!

I'm an educator (my supposed 13 year old kid is supposed to represent my students until I figure out how to get an educator account), and also a longtime Pokemon player, ever since it first came out when I was 11. HeartGold is not the best installment gameplay wise, but it's one of the more appropriate ones due to the lack of controversial content the Pokewalker, a pedometer that gives you in-game rewards for reaching certain stepcounts in th day. In HGSS you play a ten year old kid. The local pokemon professor gives you a Pokemon and asks you to walk with it (instead of keeping it in a ball all the time like most people do) to see how that effects its development. You get a rival in the form of a kid who stole another pokemon from the professor, and you have to go up against Team Rocket, an evil criminal syndicate who want to use Pokemon for power and profit. Gameplay is great, and as always educational. Pokemon is text-intensive and can help kids with reading, and I personally got through college math because Pokemon kept my estimation, multiplication, and algebraic knowledge fresh. You don't need to know algebra to play, but if you do it can be a lot easier to do well, as the game is controlled by a master equation consisting of your Pokemon's offensive stats, divded by the other pokemon's defensive stas, times the type multipliers. The violence of the game is comparable to boxing in our world, though very young kids might require a talk about this. Concerns I have with the game are the fact that the rival isn't punished for stealing the Pokemon, the apparent aimlessness of Team Rocket, and of course the ridiculous levels of consumerism. Also, as it's very hard to cheat the Pokewalker, lazy kids might do adventurous things to get their watts, like throw the walker in the dryer or attempt to attach it to a treadmill (I, an adult, have already nearly broken the Pokewalker several times trying to cheat it when my feet were tired from teaching!). Luckily replacements can be cheaply ordered from Nintendo. If your child has trouble with computers or reading you may want to get them Diamond/Pearl/Platinum instead. The computer system in which you store Pokemon is a little... confusing. Also very biased toward right-handed people.
Adult Written bygeorge512 August 30, 2010
This game happens to be my best game I haved played. I even got this game at GameStop. ... and this game is easy to play. I like this game. I give it the age to play will be 8+.
Adult Written byimpkat August 9, 2010

Amazing

I grew up playing the Pokemon games, and I also learned to read due to them. (So have my younger cousins) I still enjoy playing the games, even though I am now an adult and I even purchased SoulSilver when it came out. (I keep the Pokewalker in my purse) There aren't really any issues to be concerned with, unless you're really uptight, like my mom, and actually struggle to find reasons why it's bad.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 12 year old Written by4abestworld June 23, 2010

Perfect game

it has an awesome story!
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bypikachu61 June 13, 2010
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMr. Karl May 20, 2010

perfect for 8+

What can I say about Pokemon like seriously it's always been given 5 stars by my kid.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byyourmomlol May 16, 2010

pretty good

all these ppl have a iq of over 3 at least all but Raptor 5000 down with Raptor 5000! any ways this game is pretty good my kids ask me to buy heart gold so they can get something called kyogre but thats not how my family runs ive never been a big pokemon fan but this game is pretty good other then there is a whole team thats treats pokemon badly
Parent of a 1, 3, 3, and 7 year old Written byMrVance April 7, 2010

Epicness for everyone!!

Possibly the greatest and most epic game ever made. (i'm talking about the entire series).
Adult Written byDr.Pepper April 3, 2010

...

The only main concern about this game is that it is part of the Pokemon franchise which may encourage kids to want more and more merchadise. On the positvie side, the game has good role models and promates teamwork and thinking through problems.
Educator and Parent of a 7 year old Written byjessika712002 March 28, 2010

perfect for 7 yrs and older

love it my daughter plays this game all the time its her favorite game.
Adult Written bynorthoncharles March 22, 2010
Requires good problem solving skills, use of maps, solving puzzles, etc. This particular version has a bit of an odd message giving phone numbers out to strangers you meet - this should be a discussion point with youngster.
Adult Written byAmu Hinamori March 21, 2010
I dont see nothing wrong with the Pokemon games, theres not weapons(like a gun or swords). This game is appropriate for all ages ranging from age 5+. Also while your doing something around the house, your kids will be behaving while playing with there favorite characters. The only thing i worry about is that the game started making kids talk to the person while there in a trade or battling over Wi-Fi. Parents arent aware of that being added to the game. You never know who your child is talking to threw the DS's mic on the top screen in the middle near the touch screen