Parent reviews for Pokémon Platinum

Classic format with new Pokémon and online features.

Adult Written byHolly R. November 4, 2017

To Quote Emoji Movie "Meh"

It improved the Diamond and Pearl games but you couldn't really make the others worse anyway. I'm a fan and have been since I was a kid back in the late 90's. I didn't notice really care for it at all. I suppose they were attempting to tell too complicated a story by adding "creation" lore and making things overly detailed as far as legends and lore. I understood it but it really ruined the game because it was very convoluted and stupid. The main villain believed that emotions ruined the world and that it made people weak and claimed he "abandoned all emotions" and that it's "illogical and irrational" yet the whole time he let his negative emotions control him. I get that he is a "bad guy" so he's going to be a hypocrite but he goes against his own idea of perfection and what should exist versus what should be erased. It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't what he was against that caused hypocritical actions (like if he was like the Voldemort thing from Harry Potter and wanting to destroy non pures despite being a non pure himself). Anyway this turned into a rant but at least they made the game a little better. Also the game takes too long and too many cave areas.
Adult Written byDix O. August 12, 2016

An improvement on Diamond and Pearl.

The story is engaging and kid-friendly, save for one scene at an exciting point in the story which happens to be intentionally scary.
The graphics aren't bad, but they're still rather pixelated. This does give it a retro feel, which is good.
Gameplay-wise it is easier to play than Diamond or Pearl. Transitions are sped up, making things seem far less tedious than before. The Distortion World is fun to play through with its different camera angles and complex puzzles, though it's a shame that you can't revisit the puzzles later on.
There is little to no violence, all of it is just little animations happening over a Pokémon image.
Spoilers:
-A lady tells the player that a man is threatening to 'blow up' a town, and when spoken to, the man confirms this and attacks you with his Pokémon.
-A lake is actually destroyed through a bomb, and when visited there are writhing fish everywhere and burning craters.
-At the top of a mountain a man summons the embodiments of time and space to destroy the world and recreate a new one. He is stopped by an oddly well-animated demonic creature who opens a portal in front of him and uses burning claws to snatch away the man. This scene uses a jumpscare in which it jumps startlingly at the screen with a loud sound effect, and it may frighten the player if they are young.
-A person plans to control a volcano's eruptions to terrorize everyone into giving them money, but they are arrested and taken into custody.

In short, it's a good game, just a little scary for children at times.

Ease of Play
Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bywiiahrwon January 28, 2011

Pokemon, fun for the whole family.

It's a really fun game. Been playing them since I was young, but they have advanced a lot since then. Nowadays you have to do a lot of math to get the values you want, a lot of time and effort go into making the best team. It's come a long way since it was the biggest game of rock paper scissors.

I would say the role models are good too. The main villain of the game wants to create a new dimension that he can rule due to the fact he sees the world as "Imperfect". You find that people in the game are very kind, saying that although the world has it's flaws, there is also much goodness within it.

This game has really easy controls. You walk, you battle in turn a based style rpg. A few fun mini games as well.

There is a way that up to 4 people can battle at once, so it's fun for the whole family. (4 different games and systems are required though)

Adult Written bytheworldeditor July 19, 2010

Educational for yonger children and intriguing for older ones

Educational value of pokemon

I began playing Pokemon when I was six. My parents have attested to the fact that it helped me develop some serious memorization, reading, science, problem-solving, and mathematics skills. The games are text-based, meaning that all information is conveyed through the written word. This will force kids to read, and in the process, learn new words. The language is in no way dumbed-down to suit young children; this challenging grammar and vocabulary will facilitate reading. The game is chock-full of positive role models, as the constant theme of the game is that the Pokemon grow stronger and happier when they are loved and cared for, not used as tools. The game teaches simple math skills such as addition and multiplication by forcing players to manage their Pokemon's health and power points, their stat values, and their own money very quickly, as their calculations can mean the difference between victory and defeat. The game also introduces incredibly high-level, complex mathematics if slightly older kids decide to research the game's core formulas; all events in the game are determined by complicated probability equations that will intrigue a student old enough to say "will we ever do this in real life?" to his math teacher. Problem solving and adaptive strategey are central elements of gameplay. Outside of battle, the player will be forced to solve puzzles and navigate mazes. In battle, players are perpetually challenged to essentially outwit their AI opponents using their knowledge of their opponents Pokemon, their own Pokemon, and their understanding of the fact that even the best plan can be bested by bad luck. This situation teaches basic logical reasoning and strategics.

The only danger? The game can be addicting. Moderate younger children's play time. But please, coming from a kid who lost all too many hours of hard work from a hasty parent, give them a few seconds to save their game before they put it away.

Parent of a 7, 7, and 10-year-old Written byHall Family - 5 January 31, 2010

Pokemon

This is a great game, and it's even better if you have the book to help you get the most out of it. LOVE IT! You will love the Pokemon you meet along the way. Some can be helpful.
Adult Written byVampriccat August 27, 2009

Good for any Age.

Whether you're an eight year-old or a twenty year old, you will find this game quite enjoying. Very suitable for children, a bit educational, good role models (courageous!), and has positive messages.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byEmpoleon August 15, 2009

Fantastic

This game is the best family DS games I have ever played. Your family can talk about it, and the game is endless fun.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written bybreawycker August 13, 2009