A Black girl sits next to her mom and dad on a couch, all smiling. She is pointing at a smartphone that they are looking at together.

Concerned about social media, AI, and screen time?

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the best out of media and tech.

Parent and Kid Reviews on

Pokémon Sword/Shield

Pokémon Sword/Shield Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 10 parent reviews

Sort by:

good for kids

it was a fine game for kids if you look passed how they eat Pokemon,enslaved them and forced them to fight to the point of fainting and the villain try's to kill every one but that's it.

1 person found this helpful.
Comment from 8-year old: It's fun but frustrating and it's a bit advanced.

Recommended for those who do not get rage with difficulty ( comment from an 8 year old)

Comments from an eight year old: Likes it very much, finds working with the trainer very useful. Does not recommend it for those who feel rage with difficulty.

Cartoon game

It's fun for kids like myself it's a favourite

Good Game, good messages

It's a great game with some kid friendly messages mixed in.

Dynamax Ruins The Game For Everyone

Note: I do not own a Nintendo Switch, and I do not intend to purchase one. Parents need to know that SWSH does not feature Mega Evolution or Z-moves, gimmicks from the previous generations' metagames. Furthermore, transfer from Gen VII is currently not possible. Dynamax ruins the balance of Pokémon, and the new Galarian forms outshine other Pokémon. One good note about SWSH is at least Gyms had returned instead of Island Challenges. I give this game a 2 out of 5.

Long time fan and parent

Ive been playing Pokemon since 1997 and over those 22 years ive seen some big and small changes to one of the main game fraancises i love. I started out with the anime in 1997 and got yellow for my birthday the next year and have never looked back. What I love about this francise is how kid friendly it is and some of the values it teaches of friendship and careing the anime values as well as every time anew game comes out with new pokemon it challenges the player even more to think stratagy and how this would work with this move and so forth. In other words get kids heads thinking and helping to learn how to stratagise. A usefull skill to have in this everyday world. Now ive heard of the bugs and the glitches but im still looking foraward to really playing the copy my wife got me for christ,mas. and this thing about not all the pokemon being in it? Didnt red and blue just start out with 150? Besides pokemon home is comeing out next year and i dont think itll be forever that we will not asee the missing pokemon in game. After all dont they patch up games all the time and update them on the switch? What im trying to say is if anyparent asks me the number one kid safe game to play my first answer is always pokemon. To me its the number 1 computer game for all ages for everyone to enjoy

An epic new adventure!

I'm just gonna start off by saying that while I thought $60 was a bit overkill, this game was definitely worth the wait. This game may not have had anywhere near a complete pokedex, but it had plenty of new pokemon of unique designs and movesets and two new legendaries to catch. The character designs and humor in the game was also very well done. The dynamax battles were very fun and engaging and the graphics were very beautiful and polished and definitely not glitchy. After beating this game, I have to say, it was a very enjoyable experience.

Still not worth the money but has been improved...

I'm a long time Pokemon fan but these games, which are the first main series games on a actual home console rather than portable are NOT worth $60 at launch. Having less than half of all Pokemon to catch is just a minor issue compared to the bad graphics and glitchiness of the games. And also do NOT get the download version because it can cause you to lose your SD card data because the game is very very glitchy. The games do not look much better than the older 3DS games and the online support is basically a pay wall. You have to pay money to play the games with other people online. There are Pokemon characters who are NOT coded into the game at all. You can't bring old legendary Pokemon from other games because their data doesn't exist in the games. So if you have a shiny Latias that you caught in Pokemon Go for example, you can't bring it to the new games. The starter Pokemon are shiny locked so if you are a shiny hunter you can't reset to get them shiny. You also cannot get about 400 or so other Pokemon because they are not coded into these games. In the 3DS games you could get 807 or something like that as of Ultra Sun and Moon. In these Switch games it's just over 400. These games cost $20 more than the 3DS games yet you don't get as much content. I regret buying Sword. I listened to good reviews from the game sites like IGN and gave the games a chance. And I totally regret it. I already have the game beat even though it is supposed to be a 40 hour game I had it beat in 14 1/2 hours. The game is just bad. Edit: there are free updates and paid expansions that add more Pokémon both new and old. The games are getting slightly better but a companion app called Pokémon Home is needed to do transfers and adds some missing features back like GTS but it costs a chunk of change ($16 yearly subscription) to actually get any use out of it (it’s freemium with only enough free storage for 30 Mons). It’s been improved but it’s still not quite worth it. I will say it went from a 1 star to 2 and a half stars.