Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bySmurfette711 November 20, 2011

I think we can put our differences behind us...for science.

I'm making a note here. This game is a huge success. My 7 year old son and I have played the cooperative game together and have loved it! I can hardly believe how quickly he figures out how to solve the puzzles. He really gets a kick out of being "the leader" and formulating plans to get to the exit. All kids think differently so it may not be for all 7 year olds but for mine, it's been great! This game is a great opportunity for bonding :)
Parent of a 3 year old Written byJessica1100100110 April 3, 2013

Teaches logic for any age!

My 3.5 year old loves this series. I'm guessing because it's the best looking game that we've let her play compared to cookie cutter toddler pc games. I let her play just a little bit everyday for the puzzle factor. Sometimes shes just running around shooting portals anywhere. Other times she stands and takes a moment to figure a way out and on to the next level. Sometimes she gets attacked by lasers, but I don't see too much harm in that. I trust it hasn't affected her negatively. Heck I'm just glad she's not watching her sister's Monster High drama. Aside from the leappad this is a great option for learning logic.
Parent Written byTaCTiCaLxReFLeX March 7, 2012

Amazing, just simply Amazing

Nothing at all to worry about- unless you dont like your kids using their head to figure puzzles out. Great story, especially if you have played the 1st portal that was in the orange box.
Adult Written bySaint Jimmy July 13, 2011

Amazing game!

A great game that involves some thought. Contains infrequent minor language that 10 and up kids have probably heard already.
Adult Written byBrioCyrain May 6, 2012

Logic-driven

The most thought-provoking co-op experience yet...a real brain-teaser!
Parent Written byTheNardDog June 7, 2013

Portal 2 - Less Scary than the first -- and better!

Portal 2, I dont know how it was even possible, somehow managed to wow me even more than the first one. With its funny wheatley this sequel is less scary than the first one. But there still is that evil robot GlaDos. But this time she surprisingly wants to team up with you. Great game with minimal violence. Game does contain one cuss word d**n during a cut scene but thats it. My favorite game of all time. Thanks for reading ,this review!
Parent Written byEatMoreVeg February 23, 2013

Great!

There are no major issues with this game. Violence is only shown by small, non-humanoid, immobile turrets that will shoot if you're in their view. No blood is shown if you die, the screen just fades to black. There are some dark humor elements, usually shown in audio logs, but nothing inappropriate. This game displays a dark and sinister back story, but nothing children cannot handle. Unlike other multiplayer games that love to slap a "TEAMWORK" label on themselves, Portal 2 is a true teamwork game, that requires deeper thought. Definitively OK for all kids.
Adult Written byhwarming May 9, 2012

I love this game

The player plays as Chell, a woman who is a silent protagonist, and has pretty much no back story. The game is focused on using the Portal gun to get from point A, to point B, solving puzzles with weighted crates, gels that can make a surface bouncy, or make the character move very fast, and a lot of momentum. The voice acting is superb, by British comedian Steve Merchant (cowriter of The Office, Extras, and The Ricky Gervais Show), who is hilarious in this. It does have some voilent moments, though, the player character can be shot by turrets, fall in water, and be smashed, but nothing is shown. There are some creepy parts, such as finding writings on walls, and the robots talk about killing you often, and there is a pretty creepy, yet hard to find Easter Egg, but it's not a big issue, I wouldn't worry about anyone just stumbling in on it, you have to know what you're doing.
Adult Written byPaladin357 March 4, 2012

Prepare to exercise your brain

Portal 2 is not for everyone, but for who it is for, the game is a blast. The only reason I can think of not to play the game is if you don't like puzzles. The emphasis of this game is on thinking through the puzzles and how to solve them. It has a funny, and at the same time gripping storyline, in which characters show a great deal of developement. It is a bit dark at times, and could be a little scary for younger children, but so long as parents explain that it is only a game, it isn't much of a problem. Language however, is a bit of a problem, particularly on one level in which a voice over the speaker system curses rather flippantly, which is why I cannot recomend the game for anyone younger than 10. Co-op is an extremely fun experience, particularly couch co-op where both the child and parent could have fun and figure out puzzles together. Over all, a fantastic game.
Adult Written byTom_Gamer_Tom April 21, 2011

Only for 13+ purely because of difficulty.

Portal, the first was included in the Orange Box along with Half life 2, the episodes of half life 2 and Team Fortress. This time it is a standalone game which is about 12 hours long and is very toned down violence wise. The reason I gave this 13+ was purely because of the difficulty, the difficulty is nothing abnormal, but you need a good brain to be able to work it out. The violence is minimal, a bit of shooting and wouldn't be enough to disturb a 5 year old. It isn't rocket science, just a lot of fun for anyone with half a brain. So if you are intelligent enough 10+ if not, 13+ about.
Adult Written bymasterofthemovies April 20, 2011
AMAZING GAME. I saw no problem with the game other than it might be hard for some kids later in the game. Some mild language, but thats about it content wise.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byJonathan wood May 2, 2014

Brilliant kids game

Portal 2 is one of the games that when your child of practically any age asks you if they can have you say yes. It is a break from all the violent video games out there is brilliant in every single way. A must buy.
Adult Written byJackonator April 11, 2015

A fantastic, dark puzzler.

This game is extraordinarily good. It's fun and has not much violence, there's absolutely no sex and the swearing is mild and infrequent, however, I believe that the atmosphere of the game is quite dark. Inside some of the levels, players can visit these "dens". The dens have scribbled drawings of the protagonist, the enemy (GlaDOS), companion cubes and other drawings of objects that are part of the Aperture Science facility. In one of the dens, dark, haunting music starts to play and either standing in the "den" for a while or going up to the walls and listening, can hear incomprehensible rambling of a man. It is quite scary the first time witnessing it. Other than that is a fantastic game.
Parent Written byER23 December 13, 2012

Awesome

Parent Written bylolboy55 December 9, 2012

its okay for kids

its a puzzle to find the way out really good for kids to play so he can be puzzle solver
Adult Written byPoint_Particle May 9, 2011

Great game for anyone who is logical and a good problem/puzzle solver.

This game is really good, it is a bit hard at times, other then that is is a fantastic play,
Adult Written bysusan l. October 25, 2016

really CSM, 10+? you have gone toooooo far.

CSM has EXTREMELY overrated ratings. It requires smartness and puzzle solving. co-op in split-screen is working together to achieve and acomplish. puzzle salving is fun in this game. though online is only suggested for tweens
Parent Written byTheApprover September 3, 2016

NOT BAD

The first has blood but this has a tiny bit of swearing. I beat it in a day. it is mainly crude humor, fantasy violence, and crude humor
Parent Written byAwesome DaD July 9, 2015

Awesome

Really suggested for young kids.
Parent Written byFreela June 1, 2015

A lot of fun for the kids and I!

It's rare to find something that all three of my kids (13, 11, and 8) all want to play together, and even more rare for me to also want to play along, but this game definitely was a blast for us to play through together! It encourages creative problem-solving, the voice work is top-notch and endlessly quotable, and this was just an all-round fun time for all four of us. Some more sensitive kids might not like some of the humor (GLaDOS is pretty mean to you... but then again, you did break her heart and kill her in the previous game!), but my kids, including the 8-year-old, love the character and find her funny rather than upsetting. I would recommend it for ages 10 and up, not so much because of content, but because younger kids may not make it through some of the harder puzzles as the game progresses without help. My 8-year-old had a great time playing, but had more fun listening to the dialogue and making suggestions than actually puzzling through the levels herself.