Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Red Dead Redemption 2

Outstanding Western adventure has very mature themes.

Adult Written bydreadusthedestroyer December 3, 2018

Petty of commonsense

It is in all honesty petty for common sense to give this an 18 rating, along with esrb. This limits a above average should be teen game, to an audience of 18+, it should be at most 13+. I played the whole game from start to finish, and I am aware of all of the blacklash from parents because of M rated games. I understand they don't want their child to play games like Call of duty, as that provokes violence, however, that is not apparent in this game, you don't just shoot people, you have a morality system, the game punishes you for mindlessly shooting people. This game does not provoke violence, it inspires people to be kind and good, which is heavily implied by this game. Also, this game has the lowest form of violence in all honesty, little splatters of blood here and there, and most of the language is occasional and mild, like damn and crap, (which are in games like spiderman.). Why, they say those words less than spider man, a teen rated game. This game has no sexual content whatsoever, I did not encounter any sexual behavior, or scenes. The most graphic thing in this game is blood splatters, in all honesty. If you are a parent who looks at the esrb des. LOOK MORE INTO IT, IT IS EXAGGERATED. THIS GAME SHOULD BE TEEN
Adult Written byRealzPaREnt005 November 21, 2018

Really Epic and family by real parent

This game is really fun and energetic for my real child. It teaches you basic life needs. How to socially interact with others, how to treat a wamen, how to take care of a dog, and how to use the Second Amendment for the right cause. This game is especially good for Young Americans to learn how great and powerful our country really is. Those strong language like heck and oof are used are responsible children will learn mature language from bad. So if you were to have a child named Johnny I think you Johnny's mom should give him this great game.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byJamison72 October 27, 2018

Hear me out

I know 6 may seem extremely young for an m rated game but anything can be fine if they are supervised enough wall playing
Adult Written bykitty XD October 27, 2018

is it OK for a pre teen

In my option I say yes a mature preteen should be able to play this game by then they should be mature enough to handle this title there is only a few f bombs and there isn't much sexual content I can only think of two times and it didn't show any nudity it is also very fun and you child will be on it for a while considering it has a 60 hour campaign not including anything else i say let your kids play this if they are mature enough

Adult Written byKathrineAnderman12 December 10, 2018

Alright for a child entering middle school.

Introduced this to my child as a lot of kids had been playing it at his middle school, and I watched him play the first 30 minutes or so of the game. At first I was sceptical about it as it was made by the same games company as GTA 5 and I would never let my son play that. But soon I recognised that the game doesn’t deserve an R, as although there is cocaine gum in the game as an optional choice, it mainly punishes the player for using it and gives positive messages for this. One of the reasons why it’s rated R is that it’s violent, but violence is an optional choice much like the drugs, and still punishes the player for this and the player can be sent to jail. Therefore worsening the gaming experience. This game is a choice game where you can be good or bad, and influences making the right choices. As long as your child doesn’t choose the wrong decisions it’s suitable.

Adult Written byCoreyk67 December 5, 2018

Graphic sex scenes.

Any prent who recommends this is ok for anyone under 16 or 17 is delusional. There are many many sex acts in the game. Lots of cussing. Do a quick google search for red dead 2 sex scenes and you will find several. Peeking through a window watching a man on all 4s in bed being spanked naked or a woman in full nude riding a john in a bed. They are not cut scenes.. they are part of the game. Come on parents... set some boundries.

Adult Written bySn00pC4T December 18, 2018

Should be rated E

Overall, this game is handled very well by my 32 year old. He understands the general purpose of the game, and it does not seem to teach him anything bad overall.

Adult Written byLightation December 12, 2018

Your “kids” Can’t appriciate a Masterpiece like this

Why bother looking this up if your son or daughter is -18. I have been a gamer before most of your kids were just a twinkle in their fathers eye. Your bratty Gen Z/Gen Alpha’s can not even comprehend the Greatness and Detail of this game. So don’t bother wasting money on something they don’t get. At least not until they have played every Playstation 1 game.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byxajdhkijwad November 4, 2018

good

loads of people can play this family friendly game with a bit of violence

Adult Written byaHollowKnight January 2, 2019

Age 9 and up? Really, parents?

Red Dead Redemption 2 is an accurate depiction of what life was like in Western America in 1899. As someone who’s played through about two hours, I can tell you that it’s violent, with some sexual themes and drugs. So far, Arthur Morgan has prevented at least one rape, and there have been multiple violent shoot outs. But, despite its mature themes, Red Dead Redemption 2 presents an amazingly complex plot. Arthur Morgan faces many moral dilemmas, such as having to decide whether or not to spares band of thieves and murders. From my point of view, most mature thirteen and fourteen year olds will be able to recognize and deal with most mature themes in the game, but parents should be a little bit cautious letting kids 15 or under play.

Adult Written bydarthcharming November 29, 2018

My ________ year old can handle it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you seriously think a kid should be able to "handle" mature content you are stupid. Terribly uncomfortable situations with incest, implied sex, etc (and doesn't include the language and violence). If your 12 year old can "handle" that, then I feel bad for you when your 12 year old is 15-18 years old.

Adult Written byJerrymandible October 28, 2018
Monitor them. Mistake that’s supposed to be 11 up
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written byTheUknown October 28, 2018

Adult Written byEmmaaa January 4, 2019

Rape alluded to

I haven't noticed any other reviews mention the scene where the main character, Arthur Morgan, is suggested to be raped. A hillbilly calls to the protagonist, saying that there is food inside his cabin, and if Arthur enters he is promptly knocked out and the screen goes black. You can hear a sound like the unbuckling of a belt as the man makes some comment like "You struggled and you lost," calling you "pet." Then Arthur awakes in a clearing, appearing bow-legged. Despite not being visually graphic, this scene could be very confronting for kids and I'd hate for parents to be unaware when allowing their children to play this game. There's also a "Wolf man" who is completely naked with visible genitals, and in a certain building you can hear a couple having sex. The game is large and I'm sure many people won't come across these events, but just a warning. Hope someone finds this helpful
Adult Written byWhy wouldYou January 1, 2019

Adult content NOT suitable for kids

KKK, Violence towards women , slavery and not subjects for children
Adult Written byJerry Parrel December 29, 2018

Parents, please read before you say "No!"

I think if your kid knows right from wrong, this game wont cause any problems. Terrific graphics, and an amazing story. Even a little bit educational!

Adult Written byCarlosBoi21 December 20, 2018

Why it is for kids

I play this game and I have to say it is amazing I’m an 11 yr old and there is not much sexuality

Adult Written byyelnats_stanley December 3, 2018

Way more tame than Call of Duty and other M games.

I am a parent of 2 and I have looked into this game for my 13 year old son, as he never typically asks for m games, (which I expect from him.). He has never owned an m game before, and has watched about one r movie in total. I looked into this game expecting it to be inappropriate to the extreme, however I was wrong. There is no sex whatsoever in the game, as I have watched videos on it, there is no n word, and the game is barely violent in terms of guns. There are virtually no swear words. I do not know how this game is able to warrant an "M" rating, it should really be T:violence. My son does not play any m games, but I would give this an exception. I might have to steal this idea from another review, but it makes perfect sense violence 4/10 little blood splatters but nothing too bad languages 1/10 They say D*mn every like hour you play the story mode Common sense is wrong, there is no n word themes 2/10 There is no bad themes, their are positive themes like womens rights. sex 0/10. No sex

Adult Written byRDR2fan1899 November 2, 2018

One of the best games of the year with strong language and powerful themes

I have beaten the game and there is hardly any nudity only two scenes briefly show any nudity. the only nudity you child or you are likely to experience is the horse testicles. The game is violent but there is an honor system and if you kill a lot of people you won't have a good honor bar and the ending will be affected in a negative way also you will not be able to go to certain parts of the game, because you are wanted. This game is phenomenal and the world is the best have ever seen, and while there is strong language I'm sure that its nothing your child hasn't heard before. and if they haven't make sure they know that these words are offensive to some people. There are almost no racial slurs the only one being a derogatory term for a male Mexican and a black man/woman. The game also touches on the importance of loyalty and helping others. Overall this is the best game of the year for me anyways and it is appropriate for like 14 to 15-year-old and above.

Adult Written byjumzmop January 9, 2019

Educational!!!!

This game is a great way for kids to learn their colors!!!! It also helps them get a jump start on anatomy. My children became tougher and smarter because of this. Would recommend !!!!!