Kid reviews for Red Dead Redemption 2

Outstanding Western adventure has very mature themes.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCrispy tomato October 26, 2018

Amazing game no worse than Tombstone

This game isn't as bad as you'd think for a game made made by rockstar (They Made Grand Theft Auto 5). It's actually very clean and there's more you can do to clean it, I'll get to that at the end... So first it all depends on what you plan on doing if your child plans on killing the whole town I wouldn't let them play. But if you're like me and like to try to take a non violent approach you can try ( it is very hard) or you can just ignore both and explore the beautiful world. first you'll have to do the intro which you are forced to kill some people but after that you can choose your own path. Now for the actual ratings, Violence. (6/10) There is gun fights, fist fights, and possible harm to animals Horses, dogs, ect. You could also simply lasso and hog-tie enemies... (Tip) you can pur your guns away in storage and you won't have the opportunity to use them. Gore (8/10) Gore is mostly the players choice for instance you can lay people on the train tracks and wait for a train, this is the most gory thing in the game, besides point blanking someone with a shot gun. also in the intro you see a dead horse with guts if you look closely but you can easily miss it. (Tip 2) look left to not see it. And lastly a slo-mo kill cam Language (3/10) For a M game it's nothing The main word is B*stard I've seen S*it twice. Sex (1/10) I've seen no nudity all I can think about is in one scene you pee in first person but you can't see anything. Drugs and alcohol (8/10) In almost every cutscene someone has a cigarette, cigar ect you can also get drunk at a saloon. Also you can take alcohol in your bag and drink whenever. That's about it Now as I mentioned before you can Disable the slo-mo kill cam in settings and also turn off subtitles in settings. Overall I think if you trust your kids will do good you should let them play just for the fact this is such a good game to miss the opportunity to play.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySmurfinator October 26, 2018

Bad themes used in moderation

I'm a kid so call me biased, but this game obviously shows that the main character shows remorse after he kills people, is apprehensive before starting heists and tells other people he's a terrible man. Unlike GTAV which glorifies violence and swearing, this only swears when it would add to the story (when they're being shot at or are particularly angry) and violence isn't glorified or gratuitous. Both are obviously very frequent, but it's not going to encourage a kid who is already familiar with these themes to copy them. There's infrequent sexual references, but nothing bad. In fact, the only explicit sex is when the player saves a woman from being raped. There's use of drugs and alcohol, but again, it's not encouraging anyone to do the same, and most drugs you take in the game have negative side-effects. I knew about all these themes years ago, but I don't think as a parent I would be comfortable with a kid playing this game until s/he was 14-15.

Kid, 11 years old October 28, 2018

I’m tired of Common sense media

First of all this game is pretty much a marvel movie but playable. What I mean by that is if you child has watched a marvel movie he can play this game. Secondly common sense media always exaggerates with age rating. “In this game you can rob things and engage in criminal acts AND chew Tabaco”. ITS A FLIPING COWBOY GAME. THE COMMON SENSE MEDIA GUYS NEED TO WACH A FLIPING CLINT EASTWOOD MOVIE. Of corse you can rob stuff and act like a ACTUAL COWBOY. Also the nudity part, if your kid has watched the a love movie or Titanic he/she can play this. Yes you do have some close up shots of headshots but it isn’t like gta where bits of the head go flying. Another thing is the decisions, your child can pick wether he wants to kill or spare 80% of the time. The cussing is pretty much standard the f bomb like 1 time and a couple b words IN SENSIBLE TIMES TO ADD TO THE STORY. Lastly there are some things where you kill and skin animals but that’s very mild.

Teen, 15 years old Written byPoopDiddyScoop October 26, 2018

Definitely not for very young kids

I’m 16 and I think that although there is a lot of blood and some strong swearing it’s not too much. There is one scene with partial nudity and another one where a woman is about to be raped but the player stops the man before he can. Based on how you treat other people the game can become harder because if you do a good deed you will normally get rewarded but if you kill someone then their friends or family can hunt you down. The player can’t engage in any sexual acts but people speak of sex around the towns and camps.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCars2fan2004 October 26, 2018

Good for 13 and over.

This game has lots of violence, but way less violent than something like kingsman or deadpool. There are only a few mentions of anything sexual. There is a scene where you save somebody from being sexually assulted, but the assulter dies before he can do it. The swear words are used little times, but when they are they have actual meaning like if somebody is extremely angry.

Teen, 14 years old Written byIML October 26, 2018

Great game. Maybe not for young kids

It is a very intense game with a fair bit of swearing a lot of violence. There is also use of alcohol and tobaco. Great game. Recommend to anyone over the age of 14 atleast. Or maybe younger if there is an adult or someone that can explain troubling topics.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBrendande_bp November 10, 2018
Teen, 13 years old Written byGameplayPigeon November 17, 2018

Lit

Obviously review is wrong age but this doesn't deserve 18

Teen, 15 years old Written byyillys28 October 30, 2018

Not bad at all

Nothing bad at all but a little swearing.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySiriAtUrService October 27, 2018

Really great game, not for kids.

This is defiantly one of the best games to come out this year, although. It is not suitable for kids. Not only is there an excess amount of swearing and violence, there are also some parts with strippers/prostitutes that can be found completely naked. The controls are also pretty difficult and require the player to make a few difficult choices during the game that the kids may ignore and ruin their experience for them. Otherwise, I would say if you are 14+, and the parents are fine with the child seeing naked people and swearing in games, this game is completely worth it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBingeDragon78 October 28, 2018

If your kids can handle swearing and violence you should probably be alright

A mature 11 year old could probably handle this, as they will have heard most of the language in it before and most violence will have negative repercussions, discouraging you from doing it. There are very few sexual scenes, but your character cannot engage in sex himself, however there is gambling with the in-game currency as you can play games such as poker with your friends. Your character can drink alchohol or chew tabacco, and there is cocaine gum which he can chew but it will have mostly negative effects on the character
Teen, 13 years old Written byvirtual.sarah November 21, 2018

Amazing game, but with very dark themes.

I've seen a lot of reviews on here that are pretty blatantly untrue. I have played over 70 hours in this game, and have finished the whole main story, so take it from me when I say this game is very violent/gory. Heads can be blown off with shotguns, as can arms and legs. When shot, blood will continuously pour out of NPCs wounds until they bleed out. Aftermaths of murders and mauling at the hands of animals can be found littering the map, entrails, limbs and corpses. On the surface when playing this, it seems pretty averagely violent/dark, but the plot gets pretty twisted pretty quick. Though I don't consider it much of a problem, drugs and alcohol are also quite prevalent, getting drunk is required in several quests, and consumable items that boost your stats include chewing tobacco, alcohol and cigarettes. Characters also frequently swear. This game is (in my opinion) unfairly criticized for sexual content. It can be crood at times, with it's fair share of risque songs sung by NPCs around camp and the like, and a drawing of a naked woman being gifted to you by an artist. You can pay to have a woman bathe you at inns, but nothing is explicitly shown. That's really as far as this game goes with sex. Hints and implications. Beyond the mature content, this is really a masterpiece. If your kid isn't too iffy with gore, I couldn't recommend this enough. It's meaningful, thoughtful, and subtle where other games are in your face and obnoxious. The world is deep, it lives and breathes. You can uncover mysteries and explore the seemingly endless wilderness. Also you can pet dogs. TLDR: RDR2 is a masterpiece of gaming, with brilliant writing, stunning graphics, and dark themes- but parents be warned, it can be extremely violent and gory, and contains heavy swearing and use of drugs/alcohol. If you have a mature kid you should be fine. I would not recommend this to kids under twelve, and thirteen could be iffy, but it should be fine. If you aren't going to get this game for your kids, take my advice and just get it for yourself. You won't regret it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byjackpickup21 November 10, 2018

A Masterpiece of a Game

First off, this game is a work of art. The way that the main story is over 60 hrs long and yet it never feels repetitive or boring is amazing. On the content part of things, for a Rockstar game it is incredibly tame. There is way less language than I thought, and it is only when they are really mad. The violence is fairly bloody but it is not senseless violence, and the character often feels remorse afterword. There is one scene that I have seen so far where the character gets blackout drunk, and they smoke cigars but other than that, there is not much. Overall, this is the best Open World game of all time and will hold that title for many years.

Teen, 16 years old Written byHenHood123 November 7, 2018
The game has large amounts of violence with arms legs and head being dismembered from shotguns and high powered rifles there isnt very much sex but prostitues can be seen
Teen, 14 years old Written byButnik November 3, 2018

If your fine with gore it's Ok!

This is an amazing game which my elder brother (18) introduced me to and since then I have had a blast! The free roam mixed with story constantly keeps your attention and the graphics are great! The gore is the main point of concern but at 13 most kids (in my experience) will be getting used to games like this and start playing more and more of them. The language is similar to what you will find in a playground and there is very little nudity. As long as you know that it is just a game and that it shouldn't be recreated in real life then this game is really ok for most teens.

Teen, 16 years old Written bysouthman16 November 1, 2018

Perfectly fine as long as you're mature

While there is plenty of gun violence in this game, overuse of it is discouraged and other characters will disassociate themselves from morally bad players. Drinking and drugs have bad effects and are not glorified in any way. There is no nudity, only sexual references. There is one scene where you save a woman from getting raped but there is no actual depiction of the action and the rapist is shown to be a bad person. There is nothing in this game that is worse than what you what watch in a typical action movie, perhaps with the exception of (very) slightly more detailed violence. As long as you are mature and can handle what I have mentioned, there is no reason not to play this game.

Teen, 17 years old Written byII TheLordOfKha... November 13, 2018

Not For Kids Who Arent 14 And Up, And Dont Know Right From Wrong, And Finally Will Repeat The Stuff In The Game

IS A Very Mature Game But Fun And Thrilling.

Teen, 14 years old Written byodometer December 9, 2018

Amazing game, strong themes...

Being a Rockstar game, RDR2 is obviously not for kids, that being said, your child isn't going to hear anything worse in this game than they do at school every day. In fact, throughout the entire story, I only heard the n-word once. There is plenty of profanity, but everybody knows the swear words, they're not scary. The character you play as, Arthur Morgan, is an outlaw, and you do horrible things in almost every mission, but I don't think he's a bad role model. Morgan regrets everything he does wrong and feels empathy for the people he's hurt. If you choose to look in a mirror, Arthur will make a comment about how he hates himself. There is only one mission with nudity in it, and most people probably don't even notice it because you have to go to a specific location to find it. Other than that the only nudity is animal genitals, which are hard to see. The only thing I dislike about the game is that it starts out so slow and repetitive, although it picks up once you get to chapter 3. There is nothing too scary, except a few of the gangs in the game do some messed up stuff and it can be creepy. This game surprised and impressed me with its maturity. GTA V was chock-full of unnecessarily inappropriate moments and even the original Red Dead had some of those moments, but RDR2 has a perfect balance of serious story-telling and funny moments.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBulbasaurrrr.4 December 6, 2018

Mature Teens. 14+

Red Dead Redemption 2 is an amazing game...For Teens+...Violence: Realistic Blood Spurts, knife founds and when the player uses a shotgun they can remove heads, limbs etc... Language: Not as much swearing as other games...Mostly Cowboy slang. Drugs/Alcohol: Your character can go in a saloon and drink beer and whiskey and get drunk. You can also smoke cigarettes. Sex: There are 2 scenes in a saloon where there is a couple having sex and the woman turns at you and you can see her breasts fully exposed and part of her buttocks. There is a naked man hanging in a barn with only his buttocks exposed. Overall not for kids...AT ALL...

Teen, 14 years old Written byJonathan Brugger December 4, 2018
This is a really good game i have never played the first one but i know the story of the first one.It is one of the best games i have played