All parent member reviews for Rock Band 2

Adult Written byMi3 February 8, 2011

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bypfhjvb0 September 13, 2010

Good for 16 and up

I actually really like this game in many ways, as it is a game that multiple kids can play at once. Also, at least the drumming is educational (it's a bit like real drumming). However, some of the song choices are quite dubious (Alanis Morrisette "You Outta Know" (sexual references), and various songs with suicide and destructive references. I don't have issues with these topics in small quantities, but don't really think it's entirely appropriate until 16+. Would be perfect if there were filtering capabilities, where songs with certain themes could be excluded by a parent.
Adult Written byGryphisOne October 28, 2010

A great game for all music lovers.

This is by far one of the best games I've ever played. In the game, you get to pick from four rolls in a band (lead guitar, bass, drums or singer) and jam to tons of your favorite songs. While many will say that Rock Band ripped off the Guitar Hero franchise, I say that Rock Band took the concepts of GH and made them better. The only issue I have with this game is all the plastic crap that comes with it. All the stuff (guitars, drum kits, mike stands ect) take a ton of space and will suck every battery in your house dry. A major plus is it's a great game for playing with friends. I've played with my grandparents, my friends and even some small children I used to babysit. Don't have any friends or family cause you're too uptight with your kids? No prob, just take the party on Xbox Live. There, you can quickplay songs and go on tours with other Rock Band players around the globe and even audition to be part of an Xbox Live or PSN band. And if you really have an issue with lyrics, you may as well ban your child from hearing. Most swear words are muted, save for a few in some select songs, but it's nothing major. Recap: From the Stones to Metallica, Rise Against to Pat Benatar, The Who to Disturbed, if you like music, this game is for you. While there is some skill involved, it's a game that most will be able to pick up in the first half hour of play. Word of warning, don't get the Wii version. The graphics card and processor can't handle the scrolling note chart, resulting in massive lag when you play on Hard or Expert.
Adult Written byeatmorebread July 13, 2010

If Rock Band 2 doesn't make your kids love music, I don't know if anything can. The game's Special Edition comes with not only the game disc, but with all the different instrument controllers for the game (though you'll need to buy one more guitar controller to have a full band). Kids can play drums, lead guitar, bass, or sing along to the songs and the better they do, the higher their score goes. The game is compatible with all Rock Band 1 instruments and most Guitar Hero instruments. Just make sure you get the version for your console (PS3 instruments for PS3, Xbox instruments for Xbox). Players can download new songs on the Playstation Network or Xbox Live. Prices are typically $1.99/song or $5.49/3-song-pack. There are some packs that are larger and cost more. There are some larger packs you can buy on disc and import into your console to play. If you have Rock Band 1, you can pay $5 to import all but 3 of the songs onto your console for play in any Rock Band game. One fault the game has is promoting inappropriate sexuality of women. A player may customize their character, and it is possible to outfit female characters with some more revealing clothing, which I would probably consider inappropriate (iffy at best) for those under 15, maybe under 14). All songs (both on-disc and downloadable) have their swear words deleted (not "bleeped"), so unless you already have heard the song and know the swear, your kids may not notice the song is even censored. That being said, there are some songs with drug and sex references. If your kids are younger and want to play Rock Band, they should try Lego Rock Band, which is nearly the same game, but much more kid-centric game. Only specially-marked "family-friendly" downloadable songs may be played on Lego Rock Band. The game is very addictive and incredibly popular. This is the same developer who invented Guitar Hero 1 and 2 before handing over the reins and creating Rock Band 1 and later, Rock Band 2. If your kids love this game, check out Rock Band 3, due to come out in holiday 2010, which will feature a "Pro" mode which will let your kids actually learn (mostly) how to play the guitar, drums, or keyboard (yes, the keyboard/piano will be added as a playable instrument). New instrument controllers for the game will be released, including those that are Pro-mode compatible, meaning they are real instruments that can be played without the game.
Adult Written byAnnoyedteenguy May 22, 2010

Great music simmulator.

I love this game. Im going to get the drum set pretty soon, while I use a GHWT guitar to play gutar and bass. It is educational, but some songs might be offensive. I like it for the downloadable content.
Adult Written byRoseRose October 25, 2009

Great replay value!

Love it! Most of the songs aren't bad. Also, even the metal songs are fairly clean, and it's tipped me on to some really good bands, including a few that aren't that big. Also, I find it much better than Guitar Hero. It might be expensive, but it has some of the best replay value of any game out there that I've played!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjfbrown42 August 27, 2009

A sneaky/fun path to music education

I've been playing guitar for 20 years and am in a band. Recently my band went to a 4-day party where we spent a lot of time playing Rock Band 2 and also playing our real instruments and getting the crowd to sing along. The people who were playing Rock Band (when we weren't) were active in the singalongs, grabbing maracas, tamborines, etc. and singing just for fun. Are you not sure if your kids would stick with a musical instrument/voice? Buy this game and give them the fun of playing in a band (you need several friends to do this) without the years of practice it takes to get good with real instruments. This might unlock the motivation that some rockin' music can provide.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bySgtPrinny January 1, 2010

Mild language, but it's a great party game.

Some of the songs have language. The worst I've heard is b---h. Even the downloadable content is censored! There are real instruments so there is product placement. But it's not a problem. This game is much better than guitar hero and has a higher replay value.
Parent Written byReedRichards4 March 13, 2010

For kids about to rock, we salute you!

The broad song selection of classic to modern tracks makes this a good intro for kids to be exposed to bands they might not have taken an interest in as of yet. There are a few of the usual rock-n-roll trappings which might not be as kid-friendly as we like (ie some suggestive costumes and lyrics) but nothing that prevents this from being a favorite around the house for all of us.
Parent of a 2 and 11 year old Written byZephyrzInferno March 19, 2011

We love this game.

This is the best family game we've ever owned. With only a small amount of parental screening, the whole family can relax and enjoy this game. In addition, kids can learn the basics of playing an instrument and become familiar with more than just local pop music.
Adult Written byMr. Kitsune May 9, 2010

Great game for all ages.
Adult Written byitaliarulez August 7, 2009

I love this game, especially because I got it for free!

I loved this game. It is extremely fun to play with the whole family! I am so glad I got it for free at http://tinyurl.com/namz3y instead of buying it for that ridiculous price :/
Adult Written bybullblitzdog April 30, 2009

i love it

its a great band game its better than guitar hero and world tour but i rate it about a A+